For comedic value, the gyrocopter should require stupid amounts of duct tape

quyxkh

The gyrocopter is fine as it is. It's not so outlandish once you realize that people build these in their garages for fun and occasionally competition. Also, the thing flies exactly the way you would expect a gyrocopter to fly. It's not an airplane and it's not a helicopter, but kind of a bastardized mix in the middle of those two. Also, it can be extremely handy in locating traders, specific POIs, new towns, scouting enemy bases in pvp games, etc. The only thing that gives the perception of it being "complete garbage" is that it's level gated so high, and after getting the motorcycle and 4X4 unlocked in that progression, I suppose a lot of people would expect it to be an Apache. Just don't count it's value out until you've given it a fair chance and explored all the possible uses it can offer, even in mid to late game.

The gyrocopter is fine as it is. It's not so outlandish once you realize that people build these in their garages for fun and occasionally competition. Also, the thing flies exactly the way you would expect a gyrocopter to fly. It's not an airplane and it's not a helicopter, but kind of a bastardized mix in the middle of those two. Also, it can be extremely handy in locating traders, specific POIs, new towns, scouting enemy bases in pvp games, etc. The only thing that gives the perception of it being "complete garbage" is that it's level gated so high, and after getting the motorcycle and 4X4 unlocked in that progression, I suppose a lot of people would expect it to be an Apache. Just don't count it's value out until you've given it a fair chance and explored all the possible uses it can offer, even in mid to late game.

The controls are awkward and clunky.

In game flight... yeah okay.

Real Gyros have come a long way and are incredibly stable [even in high winds] and fly quite well.

Real gyros made at a factory this is.

This is a Homer Simpson Gyro and yeah it makes sense that the thing might be clunky.

So.... maybe I just need more practice with the flight controls.

Can't we move the break to another key or something?

The controls are awkward and clunky.

In game flight... yeah okay.

Real Gyros have come a long way and are incredibly stable [even in high winds] and fly quite well.

Real gyros made at a factory this is.

This is a Homer Simpson Gyro and yeah it makes sense that the thing might be clunky.

So.... maybe I just need more practice with the flight controls.

Can't we move the break to another key or something?

Spot on with it being clunky because this is essentially a jury rigged death machine made of scavenged parts in a zombie wasteland. Modern gyros are awesome, but yeah, we're not dealing with that.

The only thing I really feel they should do currently with the gyro is to disable the E key during flight. Nothing like accidentally tapping the E key while about 3k feet in the air and doing a swan dive.

As for controls, the main thing to remember is that the default on the ground is mouselook and the default in the air is A-D key steering. Makes sense because in the air you're going to want to look freely, but you an switch this to mouselook as well the same way you do on ground vehicles by using the M1+M2 press.

The gyro takes a lot of getting used to, and the physics aren't completely worked out yet, but once you master the controls, you can take off from a very short roll, and when ready to come down, bring it in smoothly for a beautiful flared landing and stop withing a few meters of touchdown. Just takes some practice, but once you get the hang of it, it can be a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you're playing multiplayer games and you're scouting ahead for your group.

How's the fuel consumption?

I haven't flown it around.

I'd say about on par with the minibike or motorcycle, but it's fuel quantity is low, so keep some in its storage for refueling between stops. Usually, I can fly around 10-15 minutes real time before refueling. The downside is that it's overall travel speed is way lower than most other ground based vehicles, but you get to fly without cheating, and that's worth it.

Archived