Fuse boxes in B221

ricp

Now perhaps I've just missed this with all the previous A17 builds but in b221 I see that there is a tool tip to interact with the fuse box. I am in early game so don't have a wire tool, and pressing (either clicking or holding) [F] with empty hands will not do anything.

So what is the fuse box for?

20181216135327_1.thumb.jpg.0ca87f85d7296df0e7f24c4961575549.jpg

Is it part of the electricity system? Can I use it to extend the number of connections from a generator?

I have had a look at the release notes and had a look on Google. No mention of it in the former, and for the latter the fuse box has existed for a long time but never been interactable before and all search results are dated from before that change.

20181216135244_1.thumb.jpg.617fda108d4e14e6d620176a174fcc93.jpg

i know which house ricp is referring to and i noticed the boxes as well. there are 3-4 of them around the house you can interact with but i couldnt seem to make anything happen by activating them. maybe its a secret order or as simple as they dont work yet. i was definitely excited to think there might be some sort of secret event hiding around the corner.

i know which house ricp is referring to and i noticed the boxes as well. there are 3-4 of them around the house you can interact with but i couldnt seem to make anything happen by activating them. maybe its a secret order or as simple as they dont work yet. i was definitely excited to think there might be some sort of secret event hiding around the corner.

Oooooh some puzzles?

i4CJl18.gif

Hey now that's something that I would welcome gladly in 7DTD.

I LOVE puzzles in games.

I REAAAALLLY hope that they build upon the electrical system. It seems like such an underutilized game mechanic. This is one area of the game where i think TFP's could learn alot from games like Minecraft. If you have ever played with "redstone" in that game, which was basically electricity, you could set up all kinds of cool contraptions and circuits with the addition of just a few simple objects like pistons or comparitors. Modders then took that and ran with it and created proper electrical systems and industrial machines that utilized it. Imagine what kinds of crazy industrial death trap bases you could create!

They just need to create the basic electrical infrastructure in the game that would at least allow modders to do some amazing things with it. As of right now you cant even add multiple electrical sources to a single network or feeding into a single battery bank. Also, the range of the wires is a big restriction. They could add cable "blocks" (kind of like poles) that could carry electricity around your base to wherever you need it and cover them up with walls. No more having to wire each device in serial with the damn wire disconnecting on one end as soon as you connect it on the other. They could also add in end-game machines that utilize electricity as well to add an element of "rebuilding civilization" element to the game. Think of excavators for ores, grinders, recyclers, whole production chains that turn basic ore into purified ore which then turns into more metal than you would have normally gotten. That would be definitely be fun for the builders and base designers among us.

What would you guys like to see happen with the electrical system?

I REAAAALLLY hope that they build upon the electrical system. It seems like such an underutilized game mechanic. This is one area of the game where i think TFP's could learn alot from games like Minecraft. If you have ever played with "redstone" in that game, which was basically electricity, you could set up all kinds of cool contraptions and circuits with the addition of just a few simple objects like pistons or comparitors. Modders then took that and ran with it and created proper electrical systems and industrial machines that utilized it. Imagine what kinds of crazy industrial death trap bases you could create!

They just need to create the basic electrical infrastructure in the game that would at least allow modders to do some amazing things with it. As of right now you cant even add multiple electrical sources to a single network or feeding into a single battery bank. Also, the range of the wires is a big restriction. They could add cable "blocks" (kind of like poles) that could carry electricity around your base to wherever you need it and cover them up with walls. No more having to wire each device in serial with the damn wire disconnecting on one end as soon as you connect it on the other. They could also add in end-game machines that utilize electricity as well to add an element of "rebuilding civilization" element to the game. Think of excavators for ores, grinders, recyclers, whole production chains that turn basic ore into purified ore which then turns into more metal than you would have normally gotten. That would be definitely be fun for the builders and base designers among us.

What would you guys like to see happen with the electrical system?

Yeah it's pretty new so it'll be awhile but many of us are hoping for basic Logic Gates.

And

Or

Nor

Xand

Xor

Xnor

I think those would allows us to do some really cool things.

For now.... I'd settle for Drawbridges that worked with switches/plates.

yvjJEiy.gif

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the game turn all minecraft/redstone on us, but I would welcome an expansion of the electricity mechanics.

It could also be a mistake. They've existed inside houses for some time now and with the addition of the water cooler perhaps they set this asset to being interactable when there is no actual plans for it.

It does offer up far more expansion though if it is intended. A fuse box should, by rights, need fuses. Fuses, purely by their nature can blow. Think of the fun of a blown fuse half way through a horde night as your trip wires, traps and turrets all going silent and you're plunged into darkness as your lights shut off. You run around like a headless chicken checking which storage container you had placed that fuse and doing it in the dark.

what type of house did you find that in?

This one, bud...

Ai06ONU.jpg

ThAjUnf.jpg

As I say, I've seen these fuse boxes situated about 7DtD since at least A16, perhaps A15. As it is, no other fusebox that I've found is interactable with, only the one in the largest top room of that PoI.

Perhaps a mistake then, rather than a clue to some forthcoming change.

YES! They really need to work up the electrical system in the game. I know it's still fairly new and they've added a little here and there since it was introduced, but I want switching relays, automatic generator backup systems for when batteries fail, tools powered by electricity like drill presses and CNC machines, tripwire activated explosives, computer terminals to manage your power grid, the ability to restore and tap into the local power grid...OK OK, I might be getting a little carried away, but you get the point. Electricity has so much potential (pun intended for sparkies like me) that it would be a huge waste for it not to be expanded upon in a grand way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see the game turn all minecraft/redstone on us, but I would welcome an expansion of the electricity mechanics.

It could also be a mistake. They've existed inside houses for some time now and with the addition of the water cooler perhaps they set this asset to being interactable when there is no actual plans for it.

It does offer up far more expansion though if it is intended. A fuse box should, by rights, need fuses. Fuses, purely by their nature can blow. Think of the fun of a blown fuse half way through a horde night as your trip wires, traps and turrets all going silent and you're plunged into darkness as your lights shut off. You run around like a headless chicken checking which storage container you had placed that fuse and doing it in the dark.

Circuit Breakers..... go down an flip the switch. :)

Archived