What happened to the option to steer with A and D instead of the mouse? No Free Look?

Mephistopheles

I swear I remember watching a MM video introducing new vehicles and he explained that A17 will have the option to either control direction of travel with the mouse or the keys. But everything I've tried limits me to only being able to look in the direction I'm traveling, there seems to be no more mouse free look options or options to remove vehicle direction inputs from the mouse. The CONTROLS>VEHICLES options show that I should be able to steer with A and D, but only the mouse steers me. I've also tried using the "Free Look" buttons like F5 and a couple other related keys that supposedly change view or control free look, but nothing works at all.

So what am I missing? This is so annoying not being able to scan your surroundings on trips to keep an eye out for new distant POI's and traders. I've traveled 56km in my current playthrough and still have only found one single trader. Did amount of traders get nerfed as well? There used to be I think 13-16 per map on average IIRC.

Really? If so, thanks for that. It's a shame that TFP couldn't be bothered to explain so many things like this. If you're going to change a huge percentage of mechanics and some of the controls that have been the same for at least a year and a half, have the decency to put that info in the game somewhere so we can learn the new stuff, especially when it's so unintuitive like this particular change.

Archived