What happens to the zombie?

calebelt

And to close the discussion about real zombies:

There have always been at least different 3 types of views for zombies:

*) the real view:

Zombies are not possible, but there are some zombie-like behaviours induced: zombie-ants (https://gizmodo.com/the-fungus-that-turns-ants-into-zombies-is-more-diaboli-1820301538), the vodoo zombies (which seems to be some kind of drug/hypnotizing/sleepwalking related thing, not a real zombie)(https://www.ranker.com/list/history-and-stories-from-haitian-zombie-voodoo-mythology/christopher-myers), and so on

*) the logical zombie:

An infection or something like spreads, and turns humans (sometiimes after, sometimes before ('so called infected') into zombies, most logical/scientifical things still remain: brain damage kills em, no feeling of hurt, but legs can break, they are not stronger or better than other humans, just a bit more....smelly and rotting, the typical "walking dead" zombiesj

*) the magical zombie:

some magic (witch/priest/some other entity) brings back the dead. Here no logic or anything adheres, zombies can have superpowers, are strong, heal themselves, often can only be killed, when their "master" is killed, etc. Often they can also turn into living skeletons under circumstances (falling into acid, boiling them, etc...)

For 7d2d we don't know which view is the right one, in which category of zombies we have to believe, so.....don't mock people for their believes

I think its hilarious all you people make fun of his suggestion like its SO outside the realm of possibility that maybe, just MAYBE some people out there enjoy realism and DID like the gore blocks.

Stop being so damn elitist in outright condemning others views. I would love to see this return somehow in the form of a mod perhaps. Nothing wrong with enjoying what you enjoy right? Isn't that what so many of you PREACH until of course it's about something YOU do not approve of.

- - - Updated - - -

Speak for yourself, i always have and still find it ridiculous that things like that and 30,000 wood are allowed in backpacks.

Have to agree, i stated earlier in the thread that i really liked the old gore blocks because of the extra element to base building it added (hell il take those back over A17s ai that jumps all over like supermen anyday)

But not everyone likes them, so make them an option, always seesms like people who dislike somthing in this forum want it completely removed where those that like it want options to please both parties...

(...) For me, Bodies that go "poof" in such a short time are a no go, in any game. I would have liked a compromise of a16 and a17, which would have also gotten rid of the duplication bug:

Keep the gore blocks of a16, but don't make them (or the corpses) into containers. They should be harvestable for glue and bones, but not lootable.(...)

Interestingly enough we might be close to your suggested solution already.

The ragdoll animals already work exactly like that.

And the ragdoll Zs could as well. Currently you can hit them before they poof, they have 1000hp, you just don't get any resources. So with hp at the same value as animals and with longer presence in the world before disappearing it could work.

If having them around in high numbers for too long is a cause for performance drains, then maybe there could be a capped limit to how many are present at a time and the harvest yield of bones/fat/rotten meat could be tweaked accordingly.

Of course this is a fantasy game and realism isn't a always great reason for something be a necessity, but it isn't TOTAL fantasy and you also can't discount it completely. It is a fictional happening in a realistic setting. It's a balance and there is still a certain place within the spectrum of realism we expect to be. Some level of realism adds to the immersion where it feels like "this could actually be happening barring the whole reanimated corpses aspect." It's not a completely different reality - it's our reality, with the addition of zombies. Zombies are of course unrealistic, but they can still function somewhat within a generally realistic setting in ways that make sense. If all zombies started flapping their arms to fly and shoot rockets out of their mouths, that would be immersion breaking. They should still function in a reasonable way we have come to expect somewhere on the spectrum from reanimated corpse to virus infected zombie-LIKE human. Gameplay still comes first though and how realistic a mechanic is has to balance with how fun it is to actually play.

Just in terms of gameplay, maybe not bringing back gore blocks, but I liked that dead zombie corpses slowed you down. Added another layer of challenege, more situational awareness. The more zombies you killed in a small area, the more advantage they gained.

Have to agree, i stated earlier in the thread that i really liked the old gore blocks because of the extra element to base building it added (hell il take those back over A17s ai that jumps all over like supermen anyday)

But not everyone likes them, so make them an option, always seesms like people who dislike somthing in this forum want it completely removed where those that like it want options to please both parties...

TFP didn't like them.

MM said in a video that they didn't work as intended so they were removed.

The original idea was that they would stack up against your wall and eventually the zeds would climb up and get you.

Never worked right.

So.... if you want them, mod them in.

I don't see TFP ever bringing them back.

I actually like the old gore blocks, they brought somthing more to the base defense aspect of he game which was enjoyable, they got removed because of performance? I think?

Yeah performance was the reason it was taken out. I did like how they could pretty much build a mass of bodies against your walls so they can climb in. Happened to me once in a15, I was defending from a hole in a wall, and eventually the zombies managed to get in due to all the gore blocks from killing them. I could see it as a major issue in a17e though, imagine how much of a performance hit it'd cause if the zombies had to constantly redo their paths due to gore blocks that randomly grow. 1 or 2 zombies, no problem, but come horde night... yeah.. thats a disaster waiting to happen. I'd prefer the a16 gore prefab thing, Was nice seeing the area after a horde night you just think: Wow this is one hell of a mess i've made here.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you're playing Viscera Cleanup Detail, which is actually way more fun than you'd think it is!

In a game I could see it being very fun, but I don't think the people who have to do that job irl find it all that fun. Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

-another realism thread

-in a ZOMBIE game

-no one complains you can have a CAR in your pocket and put it on your belt, then put it on the road, drive with it a bit and put it back in your pocket, disappearing ZOMBIE corpses are not realistic enough, but that is

Or better, have a 4x4 truck, a motorcycle, a minibike, and a bicycle all in your pocket. Or all of them stored in a bicycle.. I can go on and on.

The first time people complain about realism in terms of the zombies, I just point at the inventory system, as thats more realism breaking than anything else. Ya know what though? this is a videogame, it has to be this way for the fun reason. Would you find it fun if you couldn't carry even 1 flagstone block without needing a 4x4? because thats how it is irl. At best a person irl could carry a wood frame while it was just wood, but once it hits metal.. yeah.

If you want a zombie game thats as realistic as possible: play project zomboid, I guarntee you'll hate it, you have to even monitor your chars mental state which changes each respawn/inital life, amoung all the other physical things, your char can literally have OCD, adhd, or bipolar depression in PZ not to mention many other mental health issues on top.

Its a case of: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I refunded project zomboid as I just found the game no fun to play due to the insane amount of micromanagement you need to do at all times during the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, there have been complaints.

I don't agree with ultra-realism... but a zombie apoc is a feasible event that could happen in our reality, so I don't use that as an argument for not adding more realism in this game.

I think aliens invading would be a more realistic possability than a zombie apoc irl. Then again, who knows what those government scientists are screwing around with in their labs, Most zombie apoc's start because someone screwed up and the virus they were playing with got out. All it takes is 1 person to bring it out to cause a pandemic. In the walking dead, wasn't it a airborne virus that got out of a lab? same for in Z-nation, it was also a virus that got out by accident.

I think its hilarious all you people make fun of his suggestion like its SO outside the realm of possibility that maybe, just MAYBE some people out there enjoy realism and DID like the gore blocks.

Stop being so damn elitist in outright condemning others views. I would love to see this return somehow in the form of a mod perhaps. Nothing wrong with enjoying what you enjoy right? Isn't that what so many of you PREACH until of course it's about something YOU do not approve of.

- - - Updated - - -

Speak for yourself, i always have and still find it ridiculous that things like that and 30,000 wood are allowed in backpacks.

On the gore blocks thing, I rather liked them in a15, they could generate into some neat shapes on there own at times, and the sound when cleaning them up used to make me laugh, same with the sound when you'd clean up a body in a16 when it despawns. I understand they were taken out for performance reasons but I kinda miss them, especally the a16 ones, all those bones.

I'm still getting a feel for the game as it is. I had my own knee jerk reactions to some changes, but now, they're not a thing. I mod'ed what I wanted and play a lot.

But, I believe TFP should focus on an extensive options menu as a top priority. Set the default to whatever they want and allow people to play the game, the way they want to play.

Who really cares how others are playing 7D2D?

I think aliens invading would be a more realistic possability than a zombie apoc irl. Then again, who knows what those government scientists are screwing around with in their labs, Most zombie apoc's start because someone screwed up and the virus they were playing with got out. All it takes is 1 person to bring it out to cause a pandemic. In the walking dead, wasn't it a airborne virus that got out of a lab? same for in Z-nation, it was also a virus that got out by accident.

Zombies are probably more realistic than aliens.

I doubt anything that can travel here would have any trouble removing us from space.

[been re-watching Stargate SG-1 lately.]

As far as a pandemic Z-Virus, I'm not convinced that would work out like people think as well.

Organisms need to eat.

It's likely any Zombie apocalypse would end within months of starting and we'd just have a lot of decaying bodies and tiny pockets of people waiting it out.

[And the Illuminati in their secret underground bases laughing at the useless-eaters all dying.... of course.]

Zombies are probably more realistic than aliens.

"Zombies" are one mutation of the rabies virus away.

The number one fear of many microbiologist: Airborn Rabies virus! The likely end of mammal life.

Now instead of being air-born, you have Rabies mutated to a near instant active state (no incubation period) straight to the rage stage. Zombie Apocalypse!

Sleep well. :D

"Zombies" are one mutation of the rabies virus away.

The number one fear of many microbiologist: Airborn Rabies virus! The likely end of mammal life.

Now instead of being air-born, you have Rabies mutated to a near instant active state (no incubation period) straight to the rage stage. Zombie Apocalypse!

Sleep well. :D

Yes but the death rate of infected from such a virus is near 100% and would be within weeks of initial infection.

At least that's what I read in a Standford [i think??????] paper on that very subject.

What you pointed out, and maybe far more important, is that scientists are taking this threat very seriously.

It's no joke. They believe this could indeed happen and are taking steps to deal with it.

Even the CDC has a zombie protocol.

I don't know whether to find that scary or awesome.

A little of both I think.

Yes but they death rate of infected from such a virus is near 100% and would be within weeks of initial infection.

At least that's what I read in a Standford [i think??????] paper on that very subject.

What you pointed out, and maybe for more important, is that scientists are taking this threat very seriously.

It's no joke. They believe this could indeed happen and are taking steps to deal with it.

Even the CDC has a zombie protocol.

I don't know whether to find that scary or awesome.

A little of both I think.

I'm more surprised we're still here. :)

Many scientists are surprised bacteria haven't consumed all life. You would think they would have developed some UV protection and started their global buffet a long time ago.

So, I enjoy this brief moment in time. Life is sweet when you know the very possible alternatives! :)

Or better, have a 4x4 truck, a motorcycle, a minibike, and a bicycle all in your pocket. Or all of them stored in a bicycle.. I can go on and on.

The first time people complain about realism in terms of the zombies, I just point at the inventory system, as thats more realism breaking than anything else. Ya know what though? this is a videogame, it has to be this way for the fun reason. Would you find it fun if you couldn't carry even 1 flagstone block without needing a 4x4? because thats how it is irl. At best a person irl could carry a wood frame while it was just wood, but once it hits metal.. yeah.

If you want a zombie game thats as realistic as possible: play project zomboid, I guarntee you'll hate it, you have to even monitor your chars mental state which changes each respawn/inital life, amoung all the other physical things, your char can literally have OCD, adhd, or bipolar depression in PZ not to mention many other mental health issues on top.

Its a case of: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I refunded project zomboid as I just found the game no fun to play due to the insane amount of micromanagement you need to do at all times during the game.

1. Separate discussions are created for each topic on the forum. It's pointless to discuss stuffing a car into a pocket in this thread. It annoys me too. I believe that the car needed a garage, which will have to defend against zombies. And the bike should at least reduce the movement speed when it in the backpack.

2. Of course we all play popular games such as Zomboid, RimWorld, Terraria, Fallout, Tropico, Bejeweled, Tetris and many others. Why mention them in the subject dissolving in the air the zombies?

3. There are game conventions that you get rid of boring routine. For example put in a backpack a few tons of wood or stone. And there is an element of action: the construction of the base, the battle with zombies, exploration of ruins. Although I would like the option where the resources are as heavy as in "The Forest". I would really like the combination of the "the Forest" resource collection system, the voxel world 7d2d with destroyed cities and towns with NPC like in SkyRim. But... :smile-new:

I'm more surprised we're still here. :)

Many scientists are surprised bacteria haven't consumed all life. You would think they would have developed some UV protection and started their global buffet a long time ago.

So, I enjoy this brief moment in time. Life is sweet when you know the very possible alternatives! :)

I watched a recent Documentary about modern Antibiotics.

A CEO of one of the Big Three Pharmaceutical companies said they are done making new ones.

They have only one new line left [made from bees wax] and they are saving it for the elite.

YES he said that.

He also mentioned that we're forty years behind the viruses and there's no profit in catching up.

So .... it's just a matter of time before a super-virus gets us all and to make that even scarier...

... the first two instances of said super-virus happened not long ago in the very hospital I was born in.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canade [if you're curious and want to read about it.]

PS: Sorry to the OP for this tangential convorsation... this stuff is exciting for me.

Gore blocks should just be an option under the Advanced game settings, with a warning that it can cause performance issues if there are a lot of zombies nearby.

Alternatively, there could be a new separate category for controversial game settings, like the digging zombies, the omniscient zombie pathing, or the zombie strippers in our Good Christian Servers.

Yeah performance was the reason it was taken out. I did like how they could pretty much build a mass of bodies against your walls so they can climb in. Happened to me once in a15, I was defending from a hole in a wall, and eventually the zombies managed to get in due to all the gore blocks from killing them. I could see it as a major issue in a17e though, imagine how much of a performance hit it'd cause if the zombies had to constantly redo their paths due to gore blocks that randomly grow. 1 or 2 zombies, no problem, but come horde night... yeah.. thats a disaster waiting to happen. I'd prefer the a16 gore prefab thing, Was nice seeing the area after a horde night you just think: Wow this is one hell of a mess i've made here.

- - - Updated - - -

In a game I could see it being very fun, but I don't think the people who have to do that job irl find it all that fun. Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

Going to take a guess and hope im right: zombies will alreadly recheck thier path everyframe or at the bare minimum any time the player moves... if not thats some bad programming, honestly dont even see the performance issue with them now since they dont drop loot can just have zombies convert to them quickly instead of leaving the ragdolls around for ages.

Going to take a guess and hope im right: zombies will alreadly recheck thier path everyframe or at the bare minimum any time the player moves... if not thats some bad programming, honestly dont even see the performance issue with them now since they dont drop loot can just have zombies convert to them quickly instead of leaving the ragdolls around for ages.

As I mentioned, performance isn't why they got rid of them.

[At least not the entire reason.]

Madmole addressed this in one of his Q&A videos.

He said the idea was for zombies to be able to climb up walls of our bases.

It never worked out the way the envisioned so they removed them.

I guess that doesn't mean they couldn't come back.

I just hope they don't.

All that time I spent having to clean up the damn things!

Not to mention having to build traps underwater to prevent gore blocks.

Meh.... not my thing but hey whatever floats your boat.

You could probably Mod them back in without too much trouble.

Yeah classic zombies no, the closest thing possible is a hijacking of the brain/nervous system to do zombie things. Heh, I am a history nerd and I can't exactly remember where this was really bad, but way back when there was some sickness from somethign in some food (im seriously drawing blanks on the detail lol) that was causing a lot of people to go into comas. Nobody knew what comas were, and didn't thin kto check for a minute-long pulse so presumed them dead. Two things came out of it, they discovered claw markings on some of the caskets, so the zombie thing started to drive people scared. 'For whom the bell tolls' actually came from this (not the exact way, but same sense), they started putting strings in caskets attached to a bell above ground, just in case someone buried was just in a coma; they'd ring it if they woke up buried, and the 'graveyard watch' (another thing that derived from it) would be listening for bells ringing and dig them back up.

Weird times, them were.

If I recall correctly it wasn't food poisoning, well sorta, it was from the alcohol. It was very poorly stilled in the beginning and people would fall into comas. As you said the ringing of the bell is where we got the expression "Saved by the bell".

Also there is supposedly a zombie powder that voodoo priest used to make (or still do). The movie Serpent and the Rainbow is based on this powder. While people didn't shamble around it put you into a coma state where you were completely aware of your surroundings but couldn't talk, move or anything.

Supposedly that movie was based off a true story and authorities were looking into the zombie powder to use for medical reasons.

but I don't know how much of it is true ;)

Well, performance is exactly why it was removed alongside what he addressed. The memory tied to them wasn't worth using if it didn't work as intended. Better to use that memory for functional things.

If I recall correctly it wasn't food poisoning, well sorta, it was from the alcohol. It was very poorly stilled in the beginning and people would fall into comas. As you said the ringing of the bell is where we got the expression "Saved by the bell".

Yeah, I remember one area having an outbreak of some fungus in bread that caused it too.

Well, performance is exactly why it was removed alongside what he addressed. The memory tied to them wasn't worth using if it didn't work as intended. Better to use that memory for functional things.

Yeah like zombie Cheerleaders and Strippers.

If you ask me it was a fair trade.

F3fWjAU.gif

Right haha. I like those two models. Oh man, have you went into the "FIGHT THE BEARS DRINK FOR FREE" bars? I was NOT expecting bears in cages lmfao. Strippers on the stage too haha. Great show, great show.

Damn I didn't find them.

I went in on my way to the Traders but didn't have enough time to really go through it all.

Sun was gettin' real low.

I knew there would something fun in there.

Hahaha can't wait to go back.

I previously said that I disagree with ultra-realism for this game. I also said that I would not dismiss ideas that introduce realism into this game by saying that this is a fantasy game as an argument.

It's not just about whether or not a zombie apocalypse is possible or not. It's also about conforming to the expected physics in the world, fantasy or not.

When we chop down a tree and it falls, then disappears, the game can get away with this because we can imagine that the character has collected the resources.

Some things may break the realism code because if they didn't, it would make the game play very bad. In 7D2D, we can carry around an absurd amount of items in our backpack. We need this to happen to keep the flow of the game fun.

The OP is requesting gore blocks that have some physics. The OP believes this feature in the game will make for a better experience. The OP states that this would be more realistic.

I have to agree with the OP.

I agree that there may be a way to have gore blocks in the game in such a way that it makes the game better. Not all ways have been tried. I also agree that it would make it more realistic. Just because the game does not follow the rules of realism, I do think that the level of realism matches well into the style of the game. Trees disappear because we collected the resources. Zombies disappear because why? We haven't collected anything. This is not a magical world where dead things turn to dust and blow away in the wind. Fallen building leave behind debris. This idea matches that very same concept.

If this idea was included in the game, there are some things that would change...

1) The gore blocks could instantly change the pathing of the zombies. I think this adds a cool element to horde nights. Things may not always work out as expected. You have to plan for the possibility that bodies will pile up and zombies can take advantage of that. It can go the other way around too as I am sure you can plan things in a way such that the bodies add to defenses since zombies will have to break through those as well.

2) There could be a mess. Some people hated the cleanup of the gore blocks after horde night. I also did not care for it much, especially late game. On the other hand, I appreciated the bones and I appreciated the loot early game at least. This is why I propose that if this idea is added, those gore blocks should be very weak for easy cleanup--one hit. You could even have them disappear after a day or so to appease those who can't be bothered with them at all. They don't need to be containers, and can give just 1 bone and 1 flesh. This way the devs get the same performance improvements they wanted by removing them in the first place, and the glue-mongers finally get their renewable source of glue.

This could be a good idea. Maybe it won't be. Either way, it should not be dismissed as a bad idea using realism in a fantasy game as an argument, nor should it be dismissed as a bad idea because something similar was attempted in previous versions. I just happen to believe that there is a good way to have gore blocks in the game and it just has not been discovered yet and deserves more attention.

Damn I didn't find them.

I went in on my way to the Traders but didn't have enough time to really go through it all.

Sun was gettin' real low.

I knew there would something fun in there.

Hahaha can't wait to go back.

Yeah lmao its at the top. Bring a bunch of 7.62 ammo! XD It was "Oh. There are bears. In cages. That are open. Well. This is going to be fun."

ANd sure people do like the gore blocks, but it's a case of they didn't work the way they were intended to work, ate extra memory, and more than not people didn't like having to fight zombies for 10 mins, spend 30 mins cleaning, 10 mins killing, 30 mins cleaning. It would be nice for those that do like them to mod em in, but I really think it's better off for the main game to not have them. I am down for bodies being on the ground longer, since ragdolls don't generally take as much resource than generated gore blocks (and they clean themselves). I would think anyway.

Archived