Seeking clarification for Items.xml edits.

KingMigi

Hello! I just needed some clarification on the BlockDamage property in the Items.xml file.

My goal is reducing block damage from zeds and creatures. I don't know coding, but I know how to peruse and change XML files.

Previously I had edited each creature and zed individually and changed the property "BlockDamage" under "Base Effects" to the desirable number.

In-game, I had felt like these changes weren't accurately reflected in the damage blocks took from these sources, but it did seem to impact their damage based on my changes.

For instance, the "meleeHandZombie01" entry.

<item name="meleeHandZombie01">
<property name="Extends" value="meleeHandMaster"/>
<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
<property class="Action0">
	<property name="Buff" value="buffInjuryBleeding,buffIllInfection0,buffInjuryStunned1"/>
</property>
<effect_group name="Base Effects">
	<passive_effect name="ModSlots" operation="base_set" value="0"/>
	<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="10" tags="primary"/>
	[b][i]<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="16" tags="primary"/>[/i][/b]
	<!--<passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="75"/>  A16 .8 -->
	<passive_effect name="BuffProcChance" operation="base_set" value="0.15" tags="buffInjuryBleeding"/>
	<passive_effect name="BuffProcChance" operation="base_set" value="0.10" tags="buffIllInfection0"/>
	<passive_effect name="BuffProcChance" operation="base_set" value="0.15" tags="buffInjuryStunned1"/>
</effect_group>
</item>"

This is how I would edit it.

<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="16" tags="primary"/>

to

<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="4" tags="primary"/>

Is this incorrect?

I've also noticed there is a "meleeHandMaster" entry at the top of this section, with a "DamageBlock" property. And it seems some entries, such as "meleeHandZombie01" reference it. Others, such as "meleeHandZombieFeral", reference "meleeHandZombie01" instead.

I'm now confused on which entry to be editing to accurately modify damage to blocks.

Is the "DamageBlock" property of "meleeHandMaster" somehow informing the damage value in "BlockDamage" seen in individual zed entries that reference it?

How do I properly edit block damage on a per creature basis, and know they'll be doing the damage I've set?

Archived