Master chef should it be reworked or removed?

Slingblade2040

Are you kidding?

That's more realistic than most things in this game.

Let's face it, there's a whole generation of Social Media educated Millenials who actually can't boil an egg or even make toast.

Can confirm, my sister once destroyed a pot and set smoke in her house cooking ramen... and she didn't forget it was cooking. Thought all of the water needed to be used up and left the heat on high for half an hour.

I just confirmed with the developers that you can eat for more than 100%. So you still get the benefits of meat stew even if you eat at 90% fullness. It will store the extra and it will stay at max fullness for a time before coming down again. The upper tier foods definitely are worth it and you do not have to let your stamina drain down to a low amount to get the full benefit of the stews.

Do you have the details? The patch notes said something along the lines of "food can go slightly above 100% so that it doesn't go down right away."

That implied that it could go like 5-10% over, but there was no way to know since the tooltip just showed 99% or 100%.

There is a significant difference between eating a meat stew at 99% and getting the full bonus, or eating at 99% and going up to only 105%.

Also:

You can only go over the max once kinda thing.

So let's say

- At 90% you eat a stew

You get the WHOLE stew benefit though you won't see it displayed.

- You eat a second stew after that

You get nothing for it since you're already over max hunger.

I'm not sure if that's what you were asking.

I don't have my game open right now, but I'm PRETTY sure that when my food level is at that hidden "over 100%" setting, that it shows me at 99% perpetually (until that hidden amount is gone). I know that it often shows me at 1 below max stamina on my stamina bar all the time...whether 99/100 or 149/150.

Assuming you are correct and that you can only eat once over 100%, it'd be nice to get those tooltips and statistics fixed so that I knew if i had just started getting hungry again (actual 99%) or it was just displaying incorrectly (really at 119% though it only showed 99%)

Do you have the details? The patch notes said something along the lines of "food can go slightly above 100% so that it doesn't go down right away."

That implied that it could go like 5-10% over, but there was no way to know since the tooltip just showed 99% or 100%.

There is a significant difference between eating a meat stew at 99% and getting the full bonus, or eating at 99% and going up to only 105%.

Also:

I don't have my game open right now, but I'm PRETTY sure that when my food level is at that hidden "over 100%" setting, that it shows me at 99% perpetually (until that hidden amount is gone). I know that it often shows me at 1 below max stamina on my stamina bar all the time...whether 99/100 or 149/150.

Assuming you are correct and that you can only eat once over 100%, it'd be nice to get those tooltips and statistics fixed so that I knew if i had just started getting hungry again (actual 99%) or it was just displaying incorrectly (really at 119% though it only showed 99%)

I wait till it hits 97%-98%, as you said it stays locked at 99/100 when your over fed, but second it hits 97%-98% that means your overfeed bar is now used. I really wish it'd stay at 100 when your over fed though insted of at 99. Or even have a secondary bar of another color start to cover the normal blue stamina bar to show overfeed amount.

I wait till it hits 97%-98%, as you said it stays locked at 99/100 when your over fed, but second it hits 97%-98% that means your overfeed bar is now used. I really wish it'd stay at 100 when your over fed though insted of at 99. Or even have a secondary bar of another color start to cover the normal blue stamina bar to show overfeed amount.

I agree, i don't see any reason they shouldn't show you the overfeed amount.

I'd love to see food/water levels shown on the HUD, and for food (and really, it should probably be on water too...you don't instantly start recovering slower the first step you take after drinking water) showing the true %....so food 112%, water 98% or whatever, shown small underneath the stamina and health.

I strongly disagree with the design decision to hide hunger and thirst and make you open menus to see them because "you're not aware of your exact hunger and thirst IRL"....bull♥♥♥♥, i sure as hell know when i'm underperforming due to hunger or thirst IRL, and even discounting that, its a game, and "good game design" almost universally agrees that making information and stats readily available, especially the more important they are improves gameplay. And vice versa

I agree, i don't see any reason they shouldn't show you the overfeed amount.

I'd love to see food/water levels shown on the HUD, and for food (and really, it should probably be on water too...you don't instantly start recovering slower the first step you take after drinking water) showing the true %....so food 112%, water 98% or whatever, shown small underneath the stamina and health.

I strongly disagree with the design decision to hide hunger and thirst and make you open menus to see them because "you're not aware of your exact hunger and thirst IRL"....bull♥♥♥♥, i sure as hell know when i'm underperforming due to hunger or thirst IRL, and even discounting that, its a game, and "good game design" almost universally agrees that making information and stats readily available, especially the more important they are improves gameplay. And vice versa

Thankfully there are modlets to show food/thrist on the screen at all times. Check the mod section should be several of them in diffrent styles.

I haven't bothered with any mods in this game yet. I'm not against them, i just haven't bothered...I'd love to see this game get steam workshop support - it would make a huge difference in how people can enjoy the game and coordinate games.

The hunger/thirst mechanics being so much more important in A17 and still lacking a HUD indicator may just tip me over the edge to consider mods

This, I pretty much get level one of the perk and no more, If I need to make veggie stew or meat stew, I save a magazine page till I have a ton of mats, pop it, then queue it all up at once. If anything the vending machines need to go back to how they were in b208, its far to easy to just buy all the food off the machines, furthermore, the only vending machines that should be able to restock at all, are the ones in trader POI's, The ones outside of them should not restock at all period, because think about it? who refills them? The one in trader poi's I can see as there IS a person there, but the ones out in the world?

Maybe they'll make it a quest where you have to go restock it from Trader Joel's.

Regardless, not sure how they re powered considering power doesn't work in most places.

Maybe it's just me, but I really liked the previous food system. And the penalty of losing 10pts for dying. It gave a reason to eat better food. While I'm sure they'll add more reasons for consuming the higher quality food, I still don't care for rpg elements on them. It's food, and in a survival situation, you need food for sustenance, not for magical increase of said stat for x number of minutes.

The cooking skills, would have been better served remaining with cookbooks that you found. Most kitchens should have them so it wouldn't need to be a crazy low loot drop.

So I vote removed. ;)

Food balance in general is not good. As others have said, charred/grilled meat and bacon and eggs are the most efficient foods to make. If you do farming you can make infinite vegetable stew once your farm gets going.

Like other perks, It takes too long to unlock recipes like hobo stew and Sham sandwiches and they don't give much return for the time and cost. By the time you can put more than 2 points into Master Chef food supply is likely no longer a relevant part of gameplay.

I just confirmed with the developers that you can eat for more than 100%. So you still get the benefits of meat stew even if you eat at 90% fullness. It will store the extra and it will stay at max fullness for a time before coming down again. The upper tier foods definitely are worth it and you do not have to let your stamina drain down to a low amount to get the full benefit of the stews.

This is good to know but why make such a simple feature so... misleading and nebulous ? How does anyone know about this before coming to the forums ?

Wouldn't it be actually easier to just start derailing stamina when food is below say 50% ? Maybe even twice per hunger point, so 49% food would equal 98% stamina and so forth ? I mean, if in any case we can "reach" 150% it doesn't change a damn thing besides being actually very OP in terms of eating yourself two stomachs full before going to an expedition.

I guess it "works" but I just don't understand why you'd actually make it this way.

Food balance in general is not good. As others have said, charred/grilled meat and bacon and eggs are the most efficient foods to make. If you do farming you can make infinite vegetable stew once your farm gets going.

Like other perks, It takes too long to unlock recipes like hobo stew and Sham sandwiches and they don't give much return for the time and cost. By the time you can put more than 2 points into Master Chef food supply is likely no longer a relevant part of gameplay.

I agree, no extra special foods for me. We had better be careful of what we wish for here, or a nerf to food may be coming.

Meat Stew is still the champ closely followed by Bacon and Eggs. Those are literally the only two foods I make for me and my crew. I spend 2 points on Master Chef and call it good. This is now the third playthrough we've done and it has been the same every time. That's not because I don't have other options or because I'm set in my ways... it is because that is the clearly most efficient path.

It's pretty simple actually... if you want other foods to be viable, they have to have considerable tradeoffs and bonuses. As it is, you can get enough corn and potatoes from the world to plant crops and have meat stew running by the end of the first week. This is also when egg gathering drops off because you transition from arrows to bullets so feathers start to stockpile.

I will say that with b221, eggs have been really bountiful. Might just been RNG shining on us but egg spawn percentages seem to be higher.

Holy crap, that makes hobo stew a god tier item. thanks for this information. I was about to propose that they buff some of the recipes, but if you can go above 100, which makes sense now based on what i have seen, then farming and cooking are very much worth it.

Well, first you must try these drugs during the fight. Get a perk for drugs and you'll see that actually the chemicals make you an almost invincible super warrior. However, you need to prepare for it, these drugs are hard to craft and you need many of them, because the duration is limited. It is perfect for horde nights, however, at this point haven't tested it too much.

At the very least, boiled eggs should be taken out of Master Chef - it doesn't make any sense. I can build a house but I can't boil an egg?

Totally as a tangental or off-topic comment, As someone who really enjoys a good hard boiled egg for a snack, I am totally ok with boiled eggs requiring a "Master Chef" perk point to learn. Learning how to make a perfect hard boiled egg IRL (as in the in game picture) is a truely learned skill and darned near an artform unto itself. I am pretty sure I went through a dozen or so trials before I nailed that down.

You have to get your cooking conditions down pat for how you like the consistency of your whites and yolk. Do you start with the eggs in the water or do you put them in while boiling? How long do you keep them in the water and at what temperature? Cleaned egg shells are quite porous so even the type of water you have can matter. Highly mineralized water, particularly iron, can throw things off. The eggs themselves matter too. Fresh eggs have low pH in the albumen of the whites so when you cook them the cooked whites stick more strongly to the inner shell membrane making it near impossible to peel the egg without ripping it to shreds. You have to use older (a week) eggs or adjust the pH of the cooking water and slow your cooking to get that perfect peel. You can't cook them too hard or for too long however; or else the hydrogen in the whites reacts with the sulfur in the yolk and you get that unsightly (although perfectly edible) ring of green around the yolk. Then once they are close to being cooked you have to remove them from the heat a little early and stop the cooking process (usually through an ice water bath) so that the internal, residual heat finishes things up and leaves everything's texture and consistency just right. Even a couple minutes too long there and things can start to get a bit rubbery. That is just for commercial eggs in North America. If you are using Farm Fresh egg or eggs sold in most other countries, they still have an intact cuticle (the outermost protective later of the eggshell) so that requires additional changes.

Cooking a good egg by ''just throwing it in some water'' is like saying you can cook a good steak by just throwing it on a hot BBQ until the outside turns black.

This.

I am guessing as long as your below 98% you get the bit u need to hit 100% and it stores the rest, or up to a limit. How much you can overeat though I'd like to know.

The most you can overeat is, from what I've tested, one Meat Stew's worth.

Once you're over max, you can't add to that.

Apparently Gazz will confirm this but my initial tests show this is how it's working for now.

So ... I guess the best way to over eat is be at 99% and then eat a Stew.

So that's a balancing issue then right?

Maybe those perks need to be easier and more early game?

Or....... maybe once Colonies are implemented, there will be good reason to have a lot of recipes.

[Hey I can always hope.]

I think a more complex food system like needing to fill different metrics, protein/carbs/fat or something more "gamey" would make those upper tier recipes more useful. Basically bacon & eggs would only give you a specific food intake and you'd need some variety to have gains on your wellness or something, like better healing, less prone to catching diseases, better stamina, etc. Right now you can just eat all of the same over and over, so you simply need to manage one source of food and you're golden for ever. Water is really poorly balanced aswell, I've literally NEVER had water issues in multiple hundred hours of 7dtd, and the point of making tea is even not that obvious given you don't need to eat junk food like ever.

Honestly why I never played starvation mod, I couldn't stand micromanaging various foods like that. But yeah to the water, It's never been an issue. And now you can actually drink a lot of murky water without even getting sick, they intentionally or not drastically reduced the dysentary chance. I drank like 6 bottles back to back and never got sick... so now its less of an issue.

Honestly why I never played starvation mod, I couldn't stand micromanaging various foods like that. But yeah to the water, It's never been an issue. And now you can actually drink a lot of murky water without even getting sick, they intentionally or not drastically reduced the dysentary chance. I drank like 6 bottles back to back and never got sick... so now its less of an issue.

While I'd love to see a lot of variety in Food items, I'm with you.

I don't want them to end up essentially being potions that we need for managing ... stuff and things and junk.

They should be extra goodies that you get throughout the game.

Fun and easy to manage and not really necessary.

Yeah variety in food items is cool, long as we dont have a nutritional system lol. I do like how they have the different stats on food, that's about as far as that should go, it's nice.

High tier food could have buffs that affects for example Abilities.

And should only be taught by books.

No penalties for not eating a varied diet but a great reward for doing so!

#makelootgrateagain

Archived