<property name="Extends" value="wallTorchLight"/>
<property name="Model" value="Entities/Lighting/torch_wall_playerPrefab"/>
<property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/>
<property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
<property name="CustomIcon" value="wallTorchLight"/>
<property name="Stacknumber" value="50"/>
<property name="Class" value="TorchHeatMap"/>
[color="#0000FF"]        <property name="HeatMapStrength" value="4.05"/>
<property name="HeatMapTime" value="1200"/> <!-- str1, t600, f5 = 2.5; str1, t900, f5 = 4; str4.05, t1200, f15 = 4.05-8.1; -->
 <property name="HeatMapFrequency" value="15"/>[/color]
<property name="DescriptionKey" value="torchPlayerGroupDesc"/>
</block>

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 600, align: center]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]HeatMapTime[/TD]

[TD]HeatMapFrequency[/TD]

[TD]HeatMapStrength[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]AnimalGore[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1200[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Campfire[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Chem Station[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Forge[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Candle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Torch[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4.05[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cement Mixer[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Workbench[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Burning Barrel[/TD]

[TD=align: center]4.05

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

- - - Updated - - -

Also note, POI torches are not the same, and do not generate heat.

This one SylenThunder?

Only chiming in because this is a test I was asked to test and got very different results, and was linked this thread as proof I was incorrect in my test results. Here is a screenshot to go along with today's test video. I tested this in Alpha 16 and got the same results as well.

Heat.thumb.jpg.51ba3e5c75e796b5586bab54609a6cdb.jpg

I crafted 10 torches from scratch, opened the debug menu and F8 to bring the heatmap up, built a small tower, placed all 10 torches on the small tower and then sat there and watched it. The heat map never left 0.00%, no matter how long I sat there. Never saw anything spawn in.

Even used the "LE" command while sitting there for several in-game hours, waiting to see if anything appeared. Nothing there.

So if I am wrong, I cannot scientifically prove otherwise in my own game worlds. And I did read all of that in the XML files before even trying to test it in today's video. :)

I have no idea. It was this way in all of Alpha 16, even though people demanded I was wrong and that the XML file showed differently, I could never prove it ever did anything.

In 1 test, I crafted and placed over 400 torches on and inside a house and sat there for more than a full day in-game. The heat map value never left 0.00% the entire time I was in the house. I haven't done the same test in A17 yet, but so far I have nothing to indicate it changed.

Again this isn't me screaming "Im right and you are wrong" to anyone. I conduct these tests that viewers suggest in a scientific manner. I take the hypothesis, test it every way I can think of and share the results. If someone proves me wrong, I'm all for changing my thoughts. But other than people quoting the XML file text, nobody has shown me any differently. :)

I have no idea. It was this way in all of Alpha 16, even though people demanded I was wrong and that the XML file showed differently, I could never prove it ever did anything.

In 1 test, I crafted and placed over 400 torches on and inside a house and sat there for more than a full day in-game. The heat map value never left 0.00% the entire time I was in the house. I haven't done the same test in A17 yet, but so far I have nothing to indicate it changed.

Again this isn't me screaming "Im right and you are wrong" to anyone. I conduct these tests that viewers suggest in a scientific manner. I take the hypothesis, test it every way I can think of and share the results. If someone proves me wrong, I'm all for changing my thoughts. But other than people quoting the XML file text, nobody has shown me any differently. :)

That is just so weird. I've seen your video on it a while back, and it states it does in the XML, but you're right: I've never really seen heat attraction from torches. I do know for a fact campfires will attract them (idk about 17). Hmm. Odd indeed. Perhaps it's more of a light thing than heat? I can't show you differently either. I've almost always had forges etc running if i had torches, for I never build a fortress so I make sure im not too visable for hordes to come bashing on the door. Hmm. Perhaps it's time for a 17 test?

I have definitely, ABSOLUTELY, seen heatmap->screamers from torches in a16. In fact I used to build these "Goat Shrine" buildings as bait, we'd paint them pink and the cover them in torches. Within a short time we'd have piles of screamers, sometimes 3 at once, all wandering around the shrine. The buildings were 5x5 and we'd normally put at least one row, often two, of torches over time ringing them. This distracted the screamers from our forges as they would beeline for the shrine buildings. So, perhaps either the heatmap measuring is wrong in the debug tools, or else it's a very unusual bug that has specific criteria to trigger it?

That is just so weird. I've seen your video on it a while back, and it states it does in the XML, but you're right: I've never really seen heat attraction from torches. I do know for a fact campfires will attract them (idk about 17). Hmm. Odd indeed. Perhaps it's more of a light thing than heat? I can't show you differently either. I've almost always had forges etc running if i had torches, for I never build a fortress so I make sure im not too visable for hordes to come bashing on the door. Hmm. Perhaps it's time for a 17 test?

Today's video was an A17 test and I didn't get any different results. That's how I ended up here :)

Someone showed me some screenshots (Finally) showing a different result than what I had gotten, so it could be bugged.

Today's video was an A17 test and I didn't get any different results. That's how I ended up here :)

Someone showed me some screenshots (Finally) showing a different result than what I had gotten, so it could be bugged.

I love programming bugs lol. SO back and forth. SOmeone here just said they used a ton of torches outside and it worked -- I'll check your vdeo out here soon, but if you did yours indoors it may be a subsitute test to check out outdoor usage too

I love programming bugs lol. SO back and forth. SOmeone here just said they used a ton of torches outside and it worked -- I'll check your vdeo out here soon, but if you did yours indoors it may be a subsitute test to check out outdoor usage too

Yup, means I'll have to experiment as well. Now I'm curious of the behavior differences in how you set up the torches, as lighting, or as a honeypot.

It may or may not be relevant but in A17 B208 when I was using burning barrels to do some screamer farming I placed them all inside a POI (church) in Navezgane. To minimize the blinding light I covered the barrels with a layer of upgraded wood frames. However no heat was being generated for a few minutes after. Confused I destroyed the wood blocks and heat generation began as expected.

So indoor/outdoor and or block placement/proximity might cause issues with heat generating items.

(It didn't interest me at the time and I assumed it was a one-off so I didn't try and recreate. Can do so depending on how this thread develops.)

Yeah just did a quick test and both torches alone and burning barrels progress heat. Possibly at a slower rate.

Brand new game created in B221 Navezgane. Single pole of wood blocks with 12 torches spaced at every other level so they're not stacked on each other. Other tests were done 5-6 chunks apart to prevent any false positives.

Took about 15 minutes after placing them before I saw the advancement on the DM heat hud % for both barrels and torches. Two ticks in 30 minutes and heat spread out to the nearby chunks as well which might have some of the delay.

Did a test with the campfire and it functioned as expected. 1.50% heat in the first tick and if left burning increased.

One other odd thing I noted was that in the prior version jumping from height and 'grunting' was generating 0.05 heat but it is not any longer.

Just to confirm reran the same test, torches only, doubled the number of torches as this time there was no spaces between them as they wrapped around the pillar. 15 minutes before the heat ticked. And sadly turning the time speed up in Debug Mode had no effect on that :(

Was hoping to save myself the wait but no dice.

Here are two more Capp00.

In A16 and A17, 28 torches after about 16 minutes IRL bring the heat map up about 12.5%. Day 1 new maps in each. No other activity apart from building the 7 block pole and putting up the 28 torches.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1591383562

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1591407507

Archived