Stop People From Quitting Because Of Night Time

EnableScope

Again, most "solutions" for this "problem" cause more problems than they solve. A player logs off in beginning of night and logs back in after 15 min ...was he cheating or just went to bathroom coz he didn't feel like sh*tting his pants ? Solution: Find a server with people who play the way you like and has rules that agree with you and has admins to enforce the rules.

Not all ppl like hordes, I prefer PvP because zeds hordes are really annoying. I don't find any fun in an horde regularly pointing to my base: why I should let the horde to destroy it? Why every night (or day) I should waste ammo and resource to kill all zeds in an horde and repair my base? Every time the same way? What is the purpose? IMO this gameplay is really demential. I would prefer zeds be more active even during the day but spawned mainly near POIs to make more challenging the looting activity. Also hordes should be active near villages or buildings. In remote zones I think the zeds should be very rare: there you can build your base without annoying hordes regularly coming from nowhere and defend you from other players that are more challenging that any AI. This is why during the night I leave my base and stand over a column far from there when I need crafting, otherwise I log out because I feel myself like an idiot firing to those zeds moving at lightspeed. No fun to me.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;98576]People should only be able to quit the game between 6 morning to 12 midday. So that if they try to log out their character stays persistent in the world and when they log in zombies are attacking them and destroying their bases. Too many people quit during night just because they don't want to die. We need an anti-chicken feature.[/QUOTE] Unfortunatly that can't be helped. If they want to quit there is nothing the Fun Pimps can do or would do. If they did that then they would be losing their consumers, and they don't want that. The worst you could do is call them chickens (anything more would be abuse and bullying).

[QUOTE=Mike06;99262] A player logs off in beginning of night and logs back in after 15 min ...was he cheating or just went to bathroom coz he didn't feel like sh*tting his pants ?[/QUOTE] Yeah, there is no way to tell, and who would stalk players to see if they log out at night anyway? Why would you care? Are they abandoning you? You can't really do anything about people being ****ies sorry to say.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;98576]People should only be able to quit the game between 6 morning to 12 midday. So that if they try to log out their character stays persistent in the world and when they log in zombies are attacking them and destroying their bases. Too many people quit during night just because they don't want to die. We need an anti-chicken feature.[/QUOTE] This behaviour ruins server play for me. I played on a server run by a friend of a friend, but we'd routinely log off each evening (it was a 120 minute day or 120 minute 24h cycle), because night time is boring and frustrating, and increasingly only one of us 3 would be online at any given time, making it effectively singleplayer except with a shared base. I have in mind starting a server of my own, some day, for friends to play on, but the server will only be running at specified times of day, e.g. every Monday for 3 hours from 1900 to 2200, where everybody is supposed to come on and play. And then we play constantly, not logging off at night, but stop the game at some reasonable time after sunrise, to resume play next week.

Running horde zombies are just terrifying to most people... and it's quite understandble. I don't quite get why people don't want zombie horde in a post-apocalyptic zombie survival game. I haven't had much problem with them [B]yet[/B] but I have a feeling I just jinxed myself. Also the fun part with 7 days to die is the setting. I hate running zombies so I deactivated that feature, but put myself with the most amount of zombies. Doggies are the "runners" for me and it feels quite chaotic when I stop running and zombies start spawning (apparently you can outchase the spawn rate of zombies, chug water while running = gg)

[QUOTE=Shiek4d5;99410]Unfortunatly that can't be helped. If they want to quit there is nothing the Fun Pimps can do or would do. If they did that then they would be losing their consumers, and they don't want that. The worst you could do is call them chickens (anything more would be abuse and bullying).[/QUOTE] Actually there is something they can do, just like they disabled the pause menu in single player mode. It is simple, it isn't about PUNISHING other players, it is about ADDED IMMERSION. I'm not saying that everyone has to not be a chicken, you quit at night time because you can and because it is so easy to do. I used to enjoy hiding the whole night with my friends to survive the next night as the zombies broke down our barricaded bathroom. Once you realize you can just log off it becomes an inevitable part of gameplay for everyone but with a persistent player it would take this unimmersive behavior away. It is basically like putting an infinite health button right on the screen and I am asking to put the infinite health button in the debug menu instead. Quitting = infinite health.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;99717]Actually there is something they can do, just like they disabled the pause menu in single player mode. It is simple, it isn't about PUNISHING other players, it is about ADDED IMMERSION. I'm not saying that everyone has to not be a chicken, you quit at night time because you can and because it is so easy to do. I used to enjoy hiding the whole night with my friends to survive the next night as the zombies broke down our barricaded bathroom. Once you realize you can just log off it becomes an inevitable part of gameplay for everyone but with a persistent player it would take this unimmersive behavior away. It is basically like putting an infinite health button right on the screen and I am asking to put the infinite health button in the debug menu instead. Quitting = infinite health.[/QUOTE] Well, yes I do see that. But taking something away can be considered a punishment for some. For a persistant player it could be seen as cheating. Unfortunatly removing the quit button would make people stop playing altogether because most of them have jobs and can not waste a single minute waiting for a chance to save their game in order to exit it. The quit option is fast and effective. I play on my lunch hour occasionally and love the option to quit when I need to so I am not late for work. I can not wait to log out because in need to do it quickly and in one minute. Half of my lunch time is spent driving to my house and back to work, the other half is spent playing. I time it so I arrive at work at least 5 minutes early, I can not be late, and so I can not have the game hold me back. Taking out the Quit option is out of the question, think of a better solution please.

[QUOTE=Shiek4d5;99721]Well, yes I do see that. But taking something away can be considered a punishment for some. For a persistant player it could be seen as cheating. Unfortunatly removing the quit button would make people stop playing altogether because most of them have jobs and can not waste a single minute waiting for a chance to save their game in order to exit it. The quit option is fast and effective. I play on my lunch hour occasionally and love the option to quit when I need to so I am not late for work. I can not wait to log out because in need to do it quickly and in one minute. Half of my lunch time is spent driving to my house and back to work, the other half is spent playing. I time it so I arrive at work at least 5 minutes early, I can not be late, and so I can not have the game hold me back. Taking out the Quit option is out of the question, think of a better solution please.[/QUOTE] This is only a problem if your game day is more than an hour. The quit button will still be there, you just have to hide your character somewhere if you want to quit at night time and then you still have a risk of dying while you are out of the server. It is basically saying you have to survive the night and quitting won't give you infinite health. Once the AI is totally fixed then persistence can even go throughout the day like Rust. Night time is usually like less than 10 minutes, if you can't play through 10 minutes then a persistent character is the least of your worries about getting to work on time. It isn't about removing the quit button that would be stupid, I mean actually have the possibility of zombies killing you while your logged off waiting for it to become day time. I want night time to be more of the game not less. Right now people just don't play at night time. That is a bad direction for the game. It isn't because "that is what they want" it is because they don't want to die and they have a way of getting infinite health through the night. It is like having an infinite health button on the screen. I think you should still be able to quit but that your character would remain in game.

-1 Real Life exists and it's more important than any game. Don't give too much importance to the existence of a character in a game, so there's no point to punish an user when needs to quit in any situation. Also it makes no sense to leave the character in the world, because, well, I can imagine all those ghosts characters on my server, having to kick them personally on order to reduce the process load. That is, we are creating a new and bigger problem.

[QUOTE=Magneto555;99737]-1 Real Life exists and it's more important than any game. Don't give too much importance to the existence of a character in a game, so there's no point to punish an user when needs to quit in any situation. Also it makes no sense to leave the character in the world, because, well, I can imagine all those ghosts characters on my server, having to kick them personally on order to reduce the process load. That is, we are creating a new and bigger problem.[/QUOTE] Don't worry you aren't allowed to play on my server nor will I ever play any game with you. It makes plenty of sense to leave a character in the world. Because you need to find shelter before you can log off. Otherwise I can just log off every time a zombie sees me and every time it turns night time. This isn't an issue in single player but it is an issue online. Obviously you like to cheat and that is your right to cheat in a server where I am not in. I am not saying persistent characters should be added to the game because you like to cheat, I am saying it would be an immersive feature.

Enablescope, You talk like everybody quits the game when its night or in a bad spot. I for one have never quit to avoid the night or get away from a hoard, and I am sure a lot of other people don't quit like that, some may but not everyone. Whenever I logoff I am always in my base and dropped of what ever extra gear I had. So when I log in I can hit the streets running. What you want them to do is almost as bad as what they are doing in beasts of pray right now. I spend hours building a base go to bed so I can get up for work, come home login to find my base completely gone. I stopped playing that game cause that's not fun. When I stop playing that's it I want my character and stuff to be the same when I come back as I left it. I don't want to log in to find my character dead and my gear gone. I don't know what your smoking but it sound's like some good stuff and you need to share some of that lol.

About the only thing I could get behind is a log off count down sequence, To stop those that grief players and insta-quit not allowing anyone to retaliate. If nothing is happening at the end of that time you can be pretty sure your safe to log. -OR- If they do implement persistent characters: When you log off It puts you into - guard mode - and makes you stealth and stationary, but will defend itself using any weapon it has at it's disposal (at least this way when I log off, I may die, But I know my character will hurt whatever attacked it). I sometimes need to quickly log off in RL, but I could live with 30sec - 1min or a guard mode.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;99735]This is only a problem if your game day is more than an hour. The quit button will still be there, you just have to hide your character somewhere if you want to quit at night time and then you still have a risk of dying while you are out of the server. It is basically saying you have to survive the night and quitting won't give you infinite health. Once the AI is totally fixed then persistence can even go throughout the day like Rust. Night time is usually like less than 10 minutes, if you can't play through 10 minutes then a persistent character is the least of your worries about getting to work on time. It isn't about removing the quit button that would be stupid, I mean actually have the possibility of zombies killing you while your logged off waiting for it to become day time. I want night time to be more of the game not less. Right now people just don't play at night time. That is a bad direction for the game. It isn't because "that is what they want" it is because they don't want to die and they have a way of getting infinite health through the night. It is like having an infinite health button on the screen. I think you should still be able to quit but that your character would remain in game.[/QUOTE] I do play during the night, the zombies just walk past me they aren't a problem. It isn't that bad to have your character progress while you are offline, their data is stored on the server, though I don't know about being attacked while offline. But there would need to be a reason to keep the character in real-time, like stats progression similar to EVE Online.

[QUOTE=Shiek4d5;99805]I do play during the night, the zombies just walk past me they aren't a problem. It isn't that bad to have your character progress while you are offline, their data is stored on the server, though I don't know about being attacked while offline. But there would need to be a reason to keep the character in real-time, like stats progression similar to EVE Online.[/QUOTE] And if they do add stat progression in real time, then they can also add stat loss if you die. That should keep people wanting to stay alive.

[QUOTE=Shiek4d5;99807]And if they do add stat progression in real time, then they can also add stat loss if you die. That should keep people wanting to stay alive.[/QUOTE] They can add extra stat progress during night hours, but stat progress happens only when the player is on the server. For instance +1 XP per game-hour during the light hours when zombies are slow, but +20 XP per game-hour during the dark hours when the zombies are fast. That'll encourage players to not log off at nightfall. Time could be the only source of XP, or it could be one of several sources.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;99759]Don't worry you aren't allowed to play on my server nor will I ever play any game with you. It makes plenty of sense to leave a character in the world. Because you need to find shelter before you can log off. Otherwise I can just log off every time a zombie sees me and every time it turns night time. This isn't an issue in single player but it is an issue online. Obviously you like to cheat and that is your right to cheat in a server where I am not in. I am not saying persistent characters should be added to the game because you like to cheat, I am saying it would be an immersive feature.[/QUOTE] EnableScope, you shouldn't take the critic personally. I have explained why this idea seems like a bad idea, but I have not gotten to you. Moreover, you don't know me and you don't know if I'm a cheater or not. I'm not also one that disconnected for the night, night is not scaring for me, so I'm also playing at night. By the way, I don't mind at all if you don't want to play with me on any server (I won't cry for that), I just said to stay persistent connections is a bad idea and punish users for having to leave in the middle of the game to do something more important than playing for hours either. If you bother, it's your problem, not mine.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;99759]Don't worry you aren't allowed to play on my server nor will I ever play any game with you. It makes plenty of sense to leave a character in the world. Because you need to find shelter before you can log off. Otherwise I can just log off every time a zombie sees me and every time it turns night time. This isn't an issue in single player but it is an issue online. Obviously you like to cheat and that is your right to cheat in a server where I am not in. I am not saying persistent characters should be added to the game because you like to cheat, I am saying it would be an immersive feature.[/QUOTE] Just a few things: 1. Its just a game and something people play for fun. When a came stops being fun, even in failure, then people generally stop playing. 2. Immersion, like many other things in life including many personal opinions or values, are relative and not absolute. 3. Real life trumps a game, always, and often times might require one to log off ASAP regardless of whats currently going on. Punishing people for that is not a good way to grow a player base, especially considering the median gamer age is around 30 with all that entails. 4. You continue to insist that anyone who disagrees with you about persistent avatars is a 'chicken', 'coward', and/or a 'cheater' regardless of why they do which shows this is less a two way discussion of idea's and more you attempting to prove everyone else wrong. There is a world of difference between even a passionate discussion, where each party admits to themselves that they could be wrong in part or whole, and a lecture where one or more insist they cannot be regardless of the situation or facts at hand. So if this is something you feel passionately about please reconsider your tone and approach for perhaps a better future response.

This entire post seems to be predicated on realism and no-one truly wants realism. We play games because reality is boring, besides it doesn't effect you if people quit at night and so why do you give a ♥♥♥♥

[QUOTE=Magneto555;99923]EnableScope, you shouldn't take the critic personally. I have explained why this idea seems like a bad idea, but I have not gotten to you. Moreover, you don't know me and you don't know if I'm a cheater[/QUOTE] The other posters haven't got to me because they were simply pointing out what they perceived as problems to this solution, but I continue to defend it as a feature and not just some sort of anti-quit mechanism. [QUOTE=mitch19701;100538]He cares because if characters become persistant in the world he can track down the offline players and kill them while they are helpless.[/QUOTE] If you are sleeping, eating or going to the bathroom you are vulnerable to attack. I want a game that is a reality replacement, that is why everyone plays video games. If you don't like immersion then you are a candidate for cheating because the game doesn't really matter to you. It doesn't mean you play the game 24/7 or the game replaces your life. But when I watch a movie during that period of 2 hours I like to be inside the movie. I'm sure many can feel such a sentiment. It is like trying to watch a movie with a bunch of little kids running around. It just ruins the whole movie. You need to allocate time to watch the movie so you can have that extra immersion of being in the movie. Someone in this thread already complained about the pause button in single player being unprofessional so we can see here there is a lot of people here who are an enemy to immersion(and obviously wish they could pause and quit even more efficiently in singleplayer!!!) I have watched how people use the pause button and this was obviously an awesome design decision for immersion. *night time begins*, *zombie horde roaming close*, *quits online server*, *rejoins during day time*, *loots*, *quits because night time is coming* should be instead, *night time begins, *zombie horde roaming close*, *quit game*, *zombie horde kills your quitting body*, *rejoin and you're dead and therefore gain no advantage to quitting* I understand why a lot of you are so vehemently against this, I used to be addicted to the pause button in video games too, but since I have experienced games that have the option to turn off the pause button or such as 7DTD(WHICH GIVES YOU NO CHOICE TO PAUSE) it completely changed how I play the game. It is about immersion, I understand I get it, the people who hate immersion have spoken, but just because you don't like to immerse in a video game or movie doesn't mean persistent players would be a bad idea. I just can't wait till everything becomes server sided so I can make such a mod to the game.

And how does this work in single player exactly, when there is no power to one's computer to keep game running? As for servers it would add to load and not to mention break immersion. Looting a building find two new player "ghosts", what would anyone else do? Kill them or panic kill. Then comes the rage quit.Said players log back in only to find they no longer have a spawn bed and zero items equate to quitting and no longer playing. There really isn't a middle ground on this type of idea, it's either on for MP or it's not. Just let a modder handle it or mod it yourself. Do what everyone here has been saying, temp ban kick those that are leaving before night. Persistent being is one of the biggest annoyances in online games in my opinion. It reminds me of those F2P flash castle games, Evony ugh :throwingupsmiley: there's no other game I loath more then that god forsaken game.

[QUOTE=xlockeed;100633]And how does this work in single player exactly, when there is no power to one's computer to keep game running? As for servers it would add to load and not to mention break immersion. Looting a building find two new player "ghosts", what would anyone else do? Kill them or panic kill. Then comes the rage quit.Said players log back in only to find they no longer have a spawn bed and zero items equate to quitting and no longer playing. There really isn't a middle ground on this type of idea, it's either on for MP or it's not. Just let a modder handle it or mod it yourself. Do what everyone here has been saying, temp ban kick those that are leaving before night. Persistent being is one of the biggest annoyances in online games in my opinion. It reminds me of those F2P flash castle games, Evony ugh :throwingupsmiley: there's no other game I loath more then that god forsaken game.[/QUOTE] It wouldn't be a feature of single player unless all out player persistence was implemented. State of Decay has such a feature. That is certainly an idea but wouldn't work at this stage of the game. What I suggesting is partial persistence during night hours. This would make night time much scarier. Having a few players in the game for night time isn't going to add a load unless your server is running a single core processor. Which you have other problems to worry about. As for finding ghost players it will only be for night time, then they will be logged out during the day time. The rage quitting you are talking about would happen anyway because someone could still enter their house break their keystone and wreck the place. Or perhaps keystone protects you from player kills when you are logged out. Player persistence is multiplayer I don't understand why you think this is gamebreaking. Being able to quit when someone shoots at you, being able to quit because a night horde is coming, that is gamebreaking. *sigh* you still don't get it. I don't want to temp ban/kick those who leave at night, I want it to be a core part of the game. It isn't about punishing players it is about adding immersion. I am suggesting persistence only for night time, and maybe a 10 second persistence during the day time. That is a fair compromise, you need to survive the night before you can leave. The default night is only a few minutes, and say you are going to leave anyway you hide yourself. Who is going to track you down as a ghost in a few minutes? If they do then you deserve to die for your bad hiding spot. But I wouldn't panic kill anyone so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

If it [I][B]were[/B][/I] about immersion then you wouldn't make a difference between quitting at daytime and quitting at nighttime. Asking for more immersion is just more political than asking for a more hardcore gameplay to be enforced.

I stand by my very old idea of a camp system. /make camp ........ you cannot make camp it is unsafe, find a safe location. /make camp 5 4 3 2 1 game exits. Pvp combat tag/attacked prevents you from camping until in a safe location to do so. Alt F4 to escape a pvp kill, system leaves you in MP for 30 secs then camps you out. Everquest has this feature. Minecraft has a pvp tag system as well, you're hit by another player and log out to avoid dying you lose everything. As for leaving a ghost up till day time, no thanks. Some people play through nights other log out *shrug. Can't force them to play through.

Archived