Stop People From Quitting Because Of Night Time

EnableScope

People should only be able to quit the game between 6 morning to 12 midday. So that if they try to log out their character stays persistent in the world and when they log in zombies are attacking them and destroying their bases. Too many people quit during night just because they don't want to die. We need an anti-chicken feature.

not a chance we have a 2 hour cycle and night is nearly 20 minutes long, having that restriction is inpractical also if playing through the and its 2pm and I get a guest arrive I want to be able to quit not say oh pleas wait an hour ir so the game wont let me log off.....

[QUOTE=stumagoo;98601]not a chance we have a 2 hour cycle and night is nearly 20 minutes long, having that restriction is inpractical also if playing through the and its 2pm and I get a guest arrive I want to be able to quit not say oh pleas wait an hour ir so the game wont let me log off.....[/QUOTE] Oh you can log off, but it will keep you in the game until morning. Cowards shall be punished. "Guests" in a zombie apocalypse who need to eat because it is about to "turn dark" will die. It isn't about waiting to log off, you are looking at it entirely backwards. It is about surviving through the night. In fact once the zombies block damage and block durability and zombie ai is ultimately tweaked it should be possible to have a toggable feature to have an infinitely persistent player in the game like Rust or Urbandead. After all AI will be in the world 24/7 why not us? It won't rule out the possibility of creating a very secure bunker to be a coward. But at least your bunker will have a possibility of being compromised while you are being a chicken. (I just reread your post) YES EXACTLY! If a guest joins and it just so happens to be night time he should be STUCK in the game. If he wants to quit that is fine but he should die and lose his items for being a coward being persistent in the world makes it realistic rather than just a quitting punishment mechanism. People join my server all the time *oh it is day time great I can play* *oh it is night time LOGS OFF and logs in 20 minutes later* this is blatant cheating I would rather someone item hack than do this! So therefore they should be punished by still having their character in the game. You should feel forced to survive the night you shouldn't feel like it is okay to just log out and log in later when it is day time it is entirely against the spirit of the game.

I agree it is a bad answer to the issue. Real life happens and there will come a time when in game it is night and in RL something comes up and people need to log. Also i would like to hear why people logging out at night is a bad thing? How does that personally affect the game? If it is just an annoyance at a behavior why should the devs worry if it isn't game breaking. People log out during pvp so as not to die. That to me is more annoying but is a differrent topic so won't go on about it here.

I would have to disagree. Poor solution to a personal problem. If you don't like people that log out during the night on your server, ban them. It's that simple. I shouldn't have to be punished for logging off when something else takes precedence over the game. And to be honest, leaving the player in game wouldn't solve your problem. If the player is logged off, the character isn't moving or making noise. So no zombies will be attracted to them. The only way they would have to worry about that is of a horde walks into their shelter and they are seen. Which can be avoided by said player making a room that the zombies wouldn't be able to get to, go inside and log out.

Just one thing needs to be said about this post, who the hell cares (except you). People will just hide in a ditch overnight if they can't log out and overall this feature would just be an annoyance. There is always task manager and ALT+F4 to exit games. This sub-forum is called pimp dreams not pimp whining so rather than whining you should just play this dam amazing game

-1. In Rust, the intention of sleepers is players have to find you, those players don't have complicated algorithms that emulate smelling, hearing, or seeing the player which leaves more control to the logged out player on how easy they are to find. 7DTD spawns zombies near the player, and dictates conditions on how the zombies find those players. This takes the control away from logged out players and makes a mechanic like OP suggests very ill-suited to this type of game. Tl;dr - i dont want to be punished for leaving the game because I have to go to work.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;98605] People join my server all the time *oh it is day time great I can play* *oh it is night time LOGS OFF and logs in 20 minutes later* this is blatant cheating I would rather someone item hack than do this! So therefore they should be punished by still having their character in the game. You should feel forced to survive the night you shouldn't feel like it is okay to just log out and log in later when it is day time it is entirely against the spirit of the game.[/QUOTE] I do understand you frustration however if they implement something like this I simply would not play, I dont want to leave my toon unattended in game simply because you want people on at night, If I have to log off because of RL I want to log off, not wonder if my toon is safely stashed.

Perhaps a dump solution, but why not add a logout-timer? Many games make use of this, and it prevents this 'lets-log-out-before-I-die' behaviour. For those who aren't familiar with the term 'logout-timer': A logout-timer means dat when you click the quit button, you'll have to waith a certain amount of time (f.e. 15 seconds) before you actually log out. During this time, you can still be attacked and killed. this way, quiting just when you are about to die in order to survive is made obsolete. Also, in case you need to log out because you got something to do in real-life, a logout-timer shouldn't be a problem sins the time you need to wait to log out will be minor (f.e. the 15 seconds mentioned earlier).

EnableScope: any idea that force ppl to do something with unnatural mechanism is bad idea. You can't make ppl stay in game if they want to leave. That won't work. Saw such mechanism in few games, they were always been hated.

[QUOTE=Mikeforall;98701]Perhaps a dump solution, but why not add a logout-timer? Many games make use of this, and it prevents this 'lets-log-out-before-I-die' behaviour. For those who aren't familiar with the term 'logout-timer': A logout-timer means dat when you click the quit button, you'll have to waith a certain amount of time (f.e. 15 seconds) before you actually log out. During this time, you can still be attacked and killed. this way, quiting just when you are about to die in order to survive is made obsolete. Also, in case you need to log out because you got something to do in real-life, a logout-timer shouldn't be a problem sins the time you need to wait to log out will be minor (f.e. the 15 seconds mentioned earlier).[/QUOTE] this is fine accept it does not combat the issue Scope was after and that is players avoiding night time play. While I feel it is pretty lame to see others log out for night I dont see it as game breaking for me. This being said I have been killed twice today (real time) by a z because I either the game spat tacks and crashed mid attack freezing me from retaliating running or even quitting and the other time the game crashed to desktop I relaunched to find myself in the middle of a horde which most definately was not there 10 seconds before hand, I suspect the horde caused the crash but no idea why, so for me delays on logging out are more hassle than they are worth.

[QUOTE=Linx77;98722]Its official, a group consensus has contained their frustration inside as they discredit this thread. This thread is disliked Let's bury this thread, stop commenting peoples[/QUOTE] That's not necessarily fair. While some posts may seem very negative others are just a clear conclusion why the OP idea was bad. Others even off a middle ground solution. [QUOTE=Mikeforall;98701]Perhaps a dump solution, but why not add a logout-timer? Many games make use of this, and it prevents this 'lets-log-out-before-I-die' behaviour. For those who aren't familiar with the term 'logout-timer': A logout-timer means dat when you click the quit button, you'll have to waith a certain amount of time (f.e. 15 seconds) before you actually log out. During this time, you can still be attacked and killed. this way, quiting just when you are about to die in order to survive is made obsolete. Also, in case you need to log out because you got something to do in real-life, a logout-timer shouldn't be a problem sins the time you need to wait to log out will be minor (f.e. the 15 seconds mentioned earlier). [/QUOTE] There is still plenty of discussion to be had here.

[QUOTE=Ekk0;98658]I would have to disagree. Poor solution to a personal problem. If you don't like people that log out during the night on your server, ban them. It's that simple. I shouldn't have to be punished for logging off when something else takes precedence over the game. And to be honest, leaving the player in game wouldn't solve your problem. If the player is logged off, the character isn't moving or making noise. So no zombies will be attracted to them. The only way they would have to worry about that is of a horde walks into their shelter and they are seen. Which can be avoided by said player making a room that the zombies wouldn't be able to get to, go inside and log out.[/QUOTE] That is okay because we usually hide inside of a room and are all scared as the zombies break the walls. It is just fun that way. [QUOTE=Linx77;98659]Just one thing needs to be said about this post, who the hell cares (except you). People will just hide in a ditch overnight if they can't log out and overall this feature would just be an annoyance. There is always task manager and ALT+F4 to exit games. This sub-forum is called pimp dreams not pimp whining so rather than whining you should just play this dam amazing game[/QUOTE] You can alt+f4 out of the game but the server should not eject you out of the server. It isn't about caring what other people do it is about added realism and immersion. Things happen in real life and if you can just quit out of the game at any time it takes away the realism. For example it was a design decision to disable a pause mode in single player mode. It is great! It adds immersion. It makes me have to think where to hide before I go to the bathroom. Why are you whining about my idea? It was a dream of mine to have persistent players, this is just one excuse.

If someone logs out due to nightfall, just travel over to their base. You're almost guaranteed to spawn a horde sometime during the night. Even though I had a bed placed in the junkyard, if someone happened to be around there while I was away, as soon as I'd log on, my place would be overrun with z's. But in all honesty, if I'm being inundated with z's, i'll just log off for a while and when I come back, they're gone. I think I have the right to do that.

[QUOTE=nitnoid;98837]If someone logs out due to nightfall, just travel over to their base. You're almost guaranteed to spawn a horde sometime during the night. Even though I had a bed placed in the junkyard, if someone happened to be around there while I was away, as soon as I'd log on, my place would be overrun with z's. But in all honesty, if I'm being inundated with z's, i'll just log off for a while and when I come back, they're gone. I think I have the right to do that.[/QUOTE] I don't think you people are getting it. It isn't about getting "vengeance" I am not mad at anybody for quitting. In single player when you press escape it doesn't pause the game. WHY? Because of immersion. Knowing you can't quit the game because night is about to occur adds to this sort of realism which everyone can participate in. You might have to go to the bathroom and want to press escape to pause the game in single player too, but it doesn't let you do that because of realism, instead you actually have to quit the game in single player to effectively "pause" the game. This would be another form of added realism. If you are tired and want to go to bed, you are consciously making a decision to go to bed when the game is about to turn night because you don't want to deal with "survival" instead of deciding to go to bed when the game turns night time you would decide to go to bed when the game turns to day time. And if you want to log off you should have to log off somewhere safe or else suffer possibly dying. Persistence in the game just makes sense, and it is the direction keystones and locked chests are going anyway.

surviving the night isnt difficult, its actually easier outside at night, since for some reason mobs have gps when your down below mining, but cant see u when your right behind them without even crouching. I would be more concerned about game mechanics of mobs than night time quitters.

[QUOTE=EnableScope;98996]In single player when you press escape it doesn't pause the game. WHY? Because of immersion.[/QUOTE] Actually Alt-F4 pauses the single player game. Takes minute tops to restart afterwards and I'm back exactly where I was with nothing dropped and no inventory shuffle. No big deal. Immersion is paused, too, when I pause the game. IMO, the (SP) game should just pause on ESC. Would be a more professional implementation. As to the rest of it: 7DTD is an open world game with a lot of ways to play it and not everyone wants to play the way you do. On your own server you can just ban everyone who isn't hardcore enough to be allowed to play with you but who are you to try and dictate to [I][B]everyone[/B][/I] how to play the game?

[QUOTE=EnableScope;98996]I don't think you people are getting it. It isn't about getting "vengeance" I am not mad at anybody for quitting. In single player when you press escape it doesn't pause the game. WHY? Because of immersion. Knowing you can't quit the game because night is about to occur adds to this sort of realism which everyone can participate in. You might have to go to the bathroom and want to press escape to pause the game in single player too, but it doesn't let you do that because of realism, instead you actually have to quit the game in single player to effectively "pause" the game. This would be another form of added realism. If you are tired and want to go to bed, you are consciously making a decision to go to bed when the game is about to turn night because you don't want to deal with "survival" instead of deciding to go to bed when the game turns night time you would decide to go to bed when the game turns to day time. And if you want to log off you should have to log off somewhere safe or else suffer possibly dying. Persistence in the game just makes sense, and it is the direction keystones and locked chests are going anyway.[/QUOTE] Regardless of your motivation, this idea doesn't seem very popular. Perhaps it's better left for a mod than implementation.

Enablescope has a point, and the worst language he used was "chicken" or 'coward" to the same effect. I would say that is your point of view Scope, and many share it I am sure. A feature to enable "sleepers" ala Rust! Admins can enable it/disable it depending on the level of "hardcore" they want. Just because he wishes this doesn't mean he values the game over rl. And heck sometimes some of us get into a game like this; I do when battling depression. Good idea Scope, to have a sleepers toggle switch! But understand not everyone who logs off is a coward nor wishes this type of feature. I agree we need some sort of balance so people don't log off as the dogs are bearing down to avoid dying (I have done this ha!), or quitting out to avoid hordes coming to their base. Remember the game is in Alpha, and GPS or homing zombie hordes is in the game, meaning they will sometimes come right for your base. To balance this some people log off, to avoid massive base destruction. I am sure less will do so once the homing zombies issue is addressed. But wanting more immersion is to be commended; I just hope they can what with H1z1 coming out.

Archived