The new maps are way too vehicle-friendly

Druuna

Of course I enjoy the new vehicles too, but after I have seen several maps I'm disappointed that the steepness of the old maps (high mountains and deep valeys) was sacrificed for the vehicles. The whole maps are now more or lesser completely flat with height differencies of about +/- 10 blocks.

That's perfect for the vehicles but building bridges and tunnels is now pointless. And it's less dangerous, I never had a broken leg since A17. It should be a survival game and not autoscooter. This includes the risk to fall down deep slopes with the vehicle if the driver is careless. Why should any location on the map always easily be reachable with a vehicle?

My suggestion is to introduce a steepness parameter for the ramdom map generation so that the server admin can decide if he wants a vehicle friendly map or an offroad nightmare where players must build road infrastructure.

What do you think about it?

Random map is completly boring right now. They are working on it, but not sure if thet includes making mountains like before.

I really loved random map before, I hope "working on it" isnt just tuning it a bit, but making it real random like it was before. cold in the north, hot in the south makes sense compared to real life, but it is just not fun anymore. Make navezgane more or less real, and make random, random.

I think they want to add more dangers/hash weather to the desert and snow biomes, so they want the player to be able to avoid those biomes until it is prepared.Something like, you want shale, go to desert, but watch out, it is dangerous.I like the idea. What is the point of having so many biomes if you can walk in the desert the same you walk in the forest ?

I think they want to add more dangers/hash weather to the desert and snow biomes, so they want the player to be able to avoid those biomes until it is prepared.Something like, you want shale, go to desert, but watch out, it is dangerous.I like the idea. What is the point of having so many biomes if you can walk in the desert the same you walk in the forest ?

The landscape is different, the resources are different, many POIs are different. It makes an interesting random map. In a16 I kept rolling looking for cool maps. In a17... what is a cool map? all look the same.

Anyway, they are changing it to who knows what, so theres no point arguing yet.

The game lost enough RNG with the new perk systems. (Not that I hate them, but it does take away some of the allure) I hope and pray this^ is not the plan. Dangers:Yes Please, Predictable Randomness: No thank you, that is contradictory.

Nothing more exciting than the great unknown. I am seriously missing the large, varied maps, which provide a unique experience on every playthrough and always have somewhere new to explore.

One quick thought:

WHY dont you guys use tunnels for when streets go below the surface?

Even halfway walls would improve on the overall feel

What I mean is, currently its like this:

(D=Dirt; S=Street;T=Tunnel/Barrier; G=Gravel)

D----------D

D----------D

D----------D

DGSSSSGD

But it could be like

DT-------TD

DT-------TD

DT-------TD

DGSSSSGD

That way you could have Mountains back... without having those stupid cliffs on the streetedges.

PS: on topic. Yea I always felt like you should only be able to drive vehicles on the street, everywhere else it should be slower and constant obstacles.

while i do agree, please keep in mind that Robert is always attempting to make improvements to RWG when he can. it is WIP.

i also do have or did rather, some maps that would have hills and mountains.

Just a reminder that buildings are still spawning with a huge areas of double air blocks below them even with the latest b221 update. You get close and sometimes the buildings collapse resulting in rubble. I think this is one of the major RWG bugs and should be addressed soon. I created a new world and half the buildings in a small town had this issue. For the ones that didn't collapse early on, I manually placed blocks below so that I could explore them.

Another issue is there waaaaay too much wilderness and not enough towns.

Yet another issue is one you've already heard of multiple times. RWG is no longer random when you know that north always has snow biome, middle is forest and south is desert. Because of this you'll end up having to travel 6+ KM just to get from snow to desert biome. Mid-late game has no issue once you can craft transportation but before that...

Adding one more thing. For this newest update I created a 16k world (I wanted to test this out). While initially creating the world took a long time, I was fine with it. What I'm not fine with is taking 9-10 minutes every time after that just to load into the same world.

While you guys might be working on these, it would be nice to hear (more specific) progress on some of the RWG fixes/improvements.

Thanks.

I miss the rivers.

I miss RWG.

It's like most of the good things about it are gone.

Arrgh.... I don't wanna be one of those guys but I keep trying to like it and it's not working.

That's because RWG isn't working!

It's terrible. I'm not going to sugar coat it anymore.

RWG the way it is sucks!

Okay... breath deeply and relax.

I know it's a WIP and it's got a long way to go before it's fixed so I'm withholding final judgement till A17 Stable.

[so long as the final product looks a HELL of a lot better than this!]

A17.0_2018-12-11_12-10-54.jpg?width=1177&height=636

A17.0_2018-12-11_12-10-05.jpg?width=1180&height=636

A17.0_2018-12-11_11-59-00.jpg

Yep, the terrain gen is definitely a WIP.

The pics above, from what I've been working on, took a lot of work just to get "some" hubs to spawn decently. So I can understand fully, that what they put out, was just something to make it workable with what they had so far.

I have confidence it'll get better. I just can't see them leaving it like it is, but I understand 'the why' it is like it is currently.

Back to tweaking..

And yes, the terrain is deceptive in these pics, because I'm so high up. Mountains get to 180 meters plus and the terrain isn't as flat as it loos in areas.

I've had no problems with a few decent mountains and lakes. and there are city hubs a plenty on maps I've spawned (may just be the super long seed i use) my big issue is that the roads are not always driveable and the water is more like jello.

oh and predictability. every map is basically the same.. streets are barely shifted, biomes are roughly in the same place. its dull! Where are the maps half wasteland? large burned biomes? and I really miss the separation of two forest biomes and a plains biome. Removal of those two biomes really made maps a bit dull.

I'm confident he'll get it worked out soon enough. Funny really, in 16 my thoughts were "the mountains are cool but damn, I'm sick of mountains every time I turn around (and I cant build on them because zombies will just destroy them anyway)" to "Sweet, Fataal and crew tok care of the AI and pathfinding! Oh, no mountains now..". But, I have found a halfway decent one, seed B221 (originality in naming, for sure). Slicks, in the area I spawned in it has a lot of burnt and wasteland, with a forest-ish biome and a desert near by. Not too bad.

Yeah about that...

... picture ...

This is a b221 world.

It's not helpful to present one of the rare exceptions and do like as if this is normality.

And even this is far away from the 80 block deep valleys I built bridges over in A16.

It's like the real world.

And that's a problem for random gen. Do it in navezgane sure, it's a handmade map which doesnt change. Doing 1 good design is perfect there.

But if you like random gen, its bc you like variation. Saying, real word is mostly flat, real world has cold on 1 side and hot on another.... just makes random useless, bc every map looks the same.

I have never played navezgane after the first time, and after trying to generate 10 random worlds in a17, I decided to play navezgane. They were just all the same. And handmade map has big advantages. You cant remove the variation from RW, which is what makes it special.

the maps are far too flat, the mountains are hills, the rivers? what rivers. the valleys? what valleys. Only 3 biomes now, with burnt forest everywhere? BORING AF. RWG in the title says RANDOM, not what you guys currently rolled out, cookie cutter x biome on top x biome in middle x biome on bottom of every single map. RWG is being "worked on". Highly doubt it will be ready for a17stable or even a couple patches into a17stable. Prove me wrong, I double dare you.

the maps are far too flat, the mountains are hills, the rivers? what rivers. the valleys? what valleys. Only 3 biomes now, with burnt forest everywhere? BORING AF. RWG in the title says RANDOM, not what you guys currently rolled out, cookie cutter x biome on top x biome in middle x biome on bottom of every single map. RWG is being "worked on". Highly doubt it will be ready for a17stable or even a couple patches into a17stable. Prove me wrong, I double dare you.

Yeah.

Essentially RWG is broken right now.

It's playable and I'm grateful that TFP released it for us to use.

Let's hope the changes are substantial as what we have right now is unacceptable.

If it takes awhile before we see RWG fixed, oh well.

That's a feature that's worth waiting for as there's just no replayability without it.

Archived