Deactivate digging down?

Michlo

Oh so I get to ride a bike or minibike, or to log off and wait all and every horde night... I mean, thanks for the suggestions (they are boring and actually pretty close to cheating for real even if they are not game breaking), I see you are really trying, but the new build killed a big option and made it unnessessarily hard to do something I really enjoyed.

Remember - they changed the game from NOT digging to DIGGING. The change already happened! I'm not asking them to change anything, I'm asking them to keep things as they are (Edit: Correction: As they 'were') (in some respects), so it's actually the other way around and you made the point for me. They actually *spent time* building the digging feature INTO the game, which is why they didn't fix other pressing issues with the game, according to your, and my logic - because we agree. But we don't agree because you intended it, but because you made a shoddy argument.

"Don't ask the devs to change the game up to suit your play style." Why not? And why can you say that? You are here arguing for your play style, and I'm arguing for mine. Why does your playstyle count and mine doesn't - all of a sudden?

But your pressing issues thing takes the price. "Taking time away from other more pressing issues"? Come on?! WTF. After 8 years of EA, version-content-back-and-forth, engine switching, reinventing the wheel, flipping features on, off and on again, they all of a sudden don't have the time for a dig option that's on or off? That is rediculous! You really need to work on your argumentation if you want to come away looking better than this.

I'm guessing you haven't been playing the game for very long and I apologize for assuming you have. Zombies used to be able to dig down. That was the norm for a long time. They weren't near as good as they are currently but this was one of those features that was turned off and back on again after some work was done to it. The devs always intended for zombies to be able to dig to hunt down survivors that were trying to escape them. Who knows, maybe this will be one of the features they turn off again and work on more before they turn it back on. They may decide they want to go back to the grid crafting system like they used to have as well.

How is avoiding the horde by running away considered more of a cheat than wanting to deactivate parts of the game you don't like in order to just hide underground? That logic seems a little bit skewed to me.

I personally couldn't care one bit if you wanted to build an underground city and live like a dwarf. By all means go right ahead. Like you've said, we have our different play styles. The difference is I'm not asking the devs to change up the game to suit mine. I'm applying my play style the best I can to what the devs have given me to work with. Personally I would love to have at least 25x the amount of zombies available. I want them to remove guns and the ability to be able to craft the vast majority of things in the game that you can. Being able to make a 4x4 from scratch but not being able to repair already build cars is ludicrous. But I don't want them to change up the game in order to appeal to my whims. This is their game and I'm just blessed with the opportunity to play it.

Out of the two of us you are the one that is asking the devs to change the game to fit their play style. I'm not asking them to do a single thing. All I'm asking is for people that are upset with the changes to maybe look at other methods of handling the problem besides quiting the game. Keep playing how you like but learn to deal with this new set of challenges the devs have given you.

What is with people and not adding mods if they don't like the Vanilla settings? this has always been done for games yet all of a sudden we have these self important entitled gamers that think everything has to be done to serve their playstyle by the devs. Just add mods to the single player world or ask the persob in charge of the server you play on for mods to be put into the server to disable or add in crap you want or don't want. Why is it so difficult for people to do this? Or if the answer is I don't know how to mod or want to mod then turn off the zombies or change game to the easiest possible settings with lowest blood moon count possible or better yet go into Debug mode and skip day blood moon days.

Yes, pretty nice argument... considering you only quoted part of my message. My main point is precisely that he asks for:

And then says he just want base underground without zombi diggers, which is the contrary of that.

I would say that "my long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe" and "underground without zombi(e) diggers" is not contrary. That sounds safe, which is his goal and not contrary to what he posted.

What is with people and not adding mods if they don't like the Vanilla settings? this has always been done for games yet all of a sudden we have these self important entitled gamers that think everything has to be done to serve their playstyle by the devs. Just add mods to the single player world or ask the persob in charge of the server you play on for mods to be put into the server to disable or add in crap you want or don't want. Why is it so difficult for people to do this? Or if the answer is I don't know how to mod or want to mod then turn off the zombies or change game to the easiest possible settings with lowest blood moon count possible or better yet go into Debug mode and skip day blood moon days.

This entire post assumes that the changes being asked for can be easily modded. Do you know for a fact that digging Zs can be turned off by xml edit?

I personally want them. My group doesn´t. We don´t have a server as we all have good internet. I am not gonna rent a server just because there is no slider for this. And everyones solution for this is mods. Like always.

I think something is getting lost in this discord? Do you think you need to rent a server to mod the game?

Well. I try to explain again:

I want them in my SP games, even when i think they are a cheapass lazy solution and would prefer something else. My group doesn´t want them in our MP games. So what to do? Either rent a server just because we can´t have a simple slider or mod and don´t have them in my SP.

We are fine without server so far, and i don´t see why i should spend money when this can be solved very simply by adding a slider in the menu.

And don´t even start with "but it´s not that expensive"

I want them in my SP games, even when i think they are a cheapass lazy solution and would prefer something else. My group doesn´t want them in our MP games. So what to do? Either rent a server just because we can´t have a simple slider or mod and don´t have them in my SP.

We are fine without server so far, and i don´t see why i should spend money when this can be solved very simply by adding a slider in the menu.

You can copy the game folder to another location and play your SP game from there with all the mods you want.

Well maybe im missing somthing but cant someone else in your group host the unmodded game?

I find what you have said pretty confusing to be honest: your 'friends' dont want mods on MP, but also dont want the zombies to dig? At the min those two things are mutaly exclusive, dont understand why you would need to rent a server (or how that would fix whatever your problem actually is)

As far as the topic goes: tottaly in support of getting options for tweaking zombie ai in the game menu (as well as a bunch of other options).

I think a big part of the reason people are unwilling to modify thier game is that the game is unfinished and so has no actual mod interface (being able to toggle mods on and off from within the client is basic as ♥♥♥♥ functionality, not sure why its missing).

Greetings,

I made a thread on Steam for the above and it would seem that I'm not alone in asking for the OPTION to turn this mechanic off, please.

It is a game breaker for me and after 703 hours of enjoying it, now I don't even want to play.

The gist of the request and thread is that some of us enjoy building. You've made it so that the zombies tear through the strongest materials with ease (which is very odd) so it would seem even more necessary to build underground. You've given them the insane ability to dig down, however. In a survival game, my long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe. There will always be danger, I'll always be interacting with the world and its challenges at some point but my drive is towards somewhere safe. In many post-apocalyptic tales, humans have been driven underground for survival. It isn't far-fetched.

So, please consider adding to the menu options to allow this. It is supposed to be a sandbox game, after all. :)

Cheers.

I'm ok with this option as long as it forces a server into the modded column for doing so.

i don't understand why people get so het up about things like this. OP asked for an OPTION to be added. Good Lord. I would like the option to turn off digging as well. I understand the devs having the prerogative to create whatever they like, but at the same time-have an interest in satisfying customers and keeping them coming back. If i want to play a shooter i have dying light and destiny. i come here to explore, be a little creative, get that feeling of satisfaction from progression AND be able to do what i want.

However dumb it might seem to everyone-one of the things i enjoy in this game is checking out the player made prefabs. Many of them are literally works of art. Once i'm able to do it-i'll pick one i think is amazing and "restore"/"fortify" it. i started that the other night and they dug through a very carefully crafted water tunnel/lake someone had made. In some of them i'm sure that could cause a collapse. And fixing water isn't so easy to do(This was day 2. So not "hiding out" on horde night)

So i just want it able to be turned off to keep from having cool things destroyed. I don't see any reason why we can't deal with z's where we choose to and i don't see why wanting a choice is grounds for so much salt

Should be variable based coding - then we could have this:

https://ibb.co/5Bs8Q64

The devs vision would then be a default button

The true quote is "Minecraft meets Fallout meets The Walking Dead" and off the top of my head I can name elements present in the game from all three. Also sandbox mode is also known as creative mode. The main game mode has rules and restrictions so it isn't a true sandbox. It is open world and do determine your own objectives so it shares aspects of a pure sandbox but first and foremost it is an adventure RPG tower defense building and crafting hybrid game that is designed in a particular way. The design can be circumvented by entering Creative mode and turning it into a pure sandbox.

Minecraft

Voxel destructible terrain

Open world

Biomes

Crafting

Building

Fallout

Player progression

Quests

Perks

Trader NPCs

The Walking Dead

Zombie Apocalypse Setting

Zombie Threat

Work together with other players

Kill other players who threaten your community

Well maybe im missing somthing but cant someone else in your group host the unmodded game?

I find what you have said pretty confusing to be honest: your 'friends' dont want mods on MP, but also dont want the zombies to dig? At the min those two things are mutaly exclusive, dont understand why you would need to rent a server (or how that would fix whatever your problem actually is)

As far as the topic goes: tottaly in support of getting options for tweaking zombie ai in the game menu (as well as a bunch of other options).

I think a big part of the reason people are unwilling to modify thier game is that the game is unfinished and so has no actual mod interface (being able to toggle mods on and off from within the client is basic as ♥♥♥♥ functionality, not sure why its missing).

Well i doubt it works if i have an unmodded game trying to join a modded one someone else hosts. A server would be a solution. I just don´t see why i have to get one if the slider is generally the better option for everyone regardless of me and my group.

A ton of ppl don´t like the digging Z´s. Understandable as in a voxelbased game there would have been way better options. Like airvent, need for light, making it way harder to dig really deep, getting punished for not seeing daylight too long etc. etc.

And it seems that the digging Z´ do not go after you at bedrock. So the whole mechanic is pretty useless anyways. (didn´t try, but i recall a few saying that) But that could easily be just because it´s work in progress.

@Roland there is even a survival part. It´s just that it is still a joke and you said multiple time it won´t get harder. So yeah, it´s there, but it really isn´t. It´s like giving pacman a gun with one shot only and no additional ammo and then saying it´s a Shooter now.

Everyting is there. Barely. Just enough so they can say "it´s in the game".

The devs vision would then be a default button

The devs have an obligation to balance and support all official setting they provide for the game. Case in Point: 25% loot no longer works and people expect the developers to fix it. If that option didn't exist on the menu they wouldn't have to worry about it. They have bigger fish to fry right now than to provide hundreds of iterations of gameplay options and then be inundated with demands to make sure they all work.

I bet those who create overhaul mods get lots of messages from people demanding that they fix this or that or rebalance this or that from their mod. Now imagine if a feature of that mod was an official option in the top menu? Instead of those messages going to the mod author they would be going to TFP.

I'm not against an option to disable digging but just giving you the dev's perspective. One last thing to consider is that the devs are experimenting with digging zombies. This is not necessarily the final version. They may decide that only dogs and crawlers can dig so that it isn't so common. They may decide to get rid of it completely.

The devs have an obligation to balance and support all official setting they provide for the game. Case in Point: 25% loot no longer works and people expect the developers to fix it. If that option didn't exist on the menu they wouldn't have to worry about it. They have bigger fish to fry right now than to provide hundreds of iterations of gameplay options and then be inundated with demands to make sure they all work.

Tell us about the Big Fish xD

If they got something more important to do atm, just tell us that we have to wait for fixes until the Big fish is fried.:smile-new:

@Roland there is even a survival part. It´s just that it is still a joke and you said multiple time it won´t get harder. So yeah, it´s there, but it really isn´t. It´s like giving pacman a gun with one shot only and no additional ammo and then saying it´s a FPS now.

Maybe it isn't as hard as you would like but it is a stiffer survival game than Minecraft which is the game you were referencing as a comparison. I do have hopes it will get harder and include things like food spoilage. It's a tough line to walk. If you emphasize survival then people complain that it is grindy and you have to micromanage your status effects too much. Just judging by the loudest shouting voices of late there are people who hate the part of the game when you are fighting to survive and they just want to rush as fast as possible to where they are thriving.

I bet those who create overhaul mods get lots of messages from people demanding that they fix this or that or rebalance this or that from their mod. Now imagine if a feature of that mod was an official option in the top menu? Instead of those messages going to the mod author they would be going to TFP.

I'm not against an option to disable digging but just giving you the dev's perspective. One last thing to consider is that the devs are experimenting with digging zombies. This is not necessarily the final version. They may decide that only dogs and crawlers can dig so that it isn't so common. They may decide to get rid of it completely.

@Roland, I think all zombies should definitely be able to dig down, I just think they shouldn't be able to hear or sense a player over 20 meters of solid rock.

I agree, however Im curious as to how things are put together.

For example - aggression (zombies aggro range / stealth ratio) must have a numerical component, so if the base number (say 20 blocks @ 100% visibility), you could have that 20 as a global variable, which then gets defined or influenced by an option setting. having these global variables available to modders would be a help to both sides. For zombies to dig on their AI checkdown could contain a switch, run speeds are already a variable, gamestage is already a variable that plugs into zombie types etc, so splitting that out to allow influence....etc..etc..

Depending on how that is all put together, it may save more dev time putting the options together than it takes to manually tweak the game at every iteration and waiting for the feedback overload and tweaking it (yet again).

Not a complaint or a gripe or anything negative, just curious as to why a lot seems either hardcoded or forced into xml changes. The random elements (oh - adding a hidden random option in settings would rock) and player tweaks increase replayability - especially on a project where existing players have so many hours in already.

Either way keep up the good work.

i don't understand why people get so het up about things like this. OP asked for an OPTION to be added. Good Lord. I would like the option to turn off digging as well. I understand the devs having the prerogative to create whatever they like, but at the same time-have an interest in satisfying customers and keeping them coming back. If i want to play a shooter i have dying light and destiny. i come here to explore, be a little creative, get that feeling of satisfaction from progression AND be able to do what i want.

However dumb it might seem to everyone-one of the things i enjoy in this game is checking out the player made prefabs. Many of them are literally works of art. Once i'm able to do it-i'll pick one i think is amazing and "restore"/"fortify" it. i started that the other night and they dug through a very carefully crafted water tunnel/lake someone had made. In some of them i'm sure that could cause a collapse. And fixing water isn't so easy to do(This was day 2. So not "hiding out" on horde night)

So i just want it able to be turned off to keep from having cool things destroyed. I don't see any reason why we can't deal with z's where we choose to and i don't see why wanting a choice is grounds for so much salt

Thank you, this is exactly all I asked for, the OPTION. :)

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Cheers.

I do hope that TFP make it somewhat easier to mod this in for those players that want it, or, in they do decide on an expanded options screen sometime, an in-game option (though I highly doubt that).

Yeah I feel like this is the best compromise.

Give us a file to edit or something.

I get that TFP want zombies to dig and that's their product.

I completely support that.

I also know that a lot of people want a lower stress version of 7DTD and they are NOT WRONG for wanting that.

The more ways TFP give us to configure,Mod the game, the better.

Just throw us a bone TFP. The modders will do the rest.

NjmfJXp.gif

Archived