Deactivate digging down?

Michlo

Greetings,

I made a thread on Steam for the above and it would seem that I'm not alone in asking for the OPTION to turn this mechanic off, please.

It is a game breaker for me and after 703 hours of enjoying it, now I don't even want to play.

The gist of the request and thread is that some of us enjoy building. You've made it so that the zombies tear through the strongest materials with ease (which is very odd) so it would seem even more necessary to build underground. You've given them the insane ability to dig down, however. In a survival game, my long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe. There will always be danger, I'll always be interacting with the world and its challenges at some point but my drive is towards somewhere safe. In many post-apocalyptic tales, humans have been driven underground for survival. It isn't far-fetched.

So, please consider adding to the menu options to allow this. It is supposed to be a sandbox game, after all. :)

Cheers.

Yep. Should get a slider. And before some "wise" guy suggests a mod: My SP games are fine with this. My MP games with buddies not. So yeah, mod doesn´t help here.

According to many people now suddenly this was always planned as an FPS/fighting game. So good luck convincing anyone.

I really should have tracked all posts from devs over the web. I can´t find the video or post where madmole said this is gonna be a minecraft with zombies.

Well. Not even close to beeing a minecraft with Zombies after this alpha. They slowly dumb down all things besides fighting.

The gist of the request and thread is that some of us enjoy building. You've made it so that the zombies tear through the strongest materials with ease (which is very odd) ....

In a survival game, my long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe. There will always be danger, I'll always be interacting with the world and its challenges at some point but my drive is towards somewhere safe. ...

I agree with those. But what you would need to ask for is for zombies not tearing through mats so that we can like you say "achieve" a safe place. I want that too. But underground bases with no digging zombies isnt achieving anything.

I want to be able to achieve a safe base, with effort, maintenance, and constant upgrades, yes. Not a place that makes building not needed.

I dont understand why you say you like the same things as me, but then ask for something that makes them not necessary

Yep. Should get a slider. And before some "wise" guy suggests a mod: My SP games are fine with this. My MP games with buddies not. So yeah, mod doesn´t help here.

According to many people now suddenly this was always planned as an FPS/fighting game. So good luck convincing anyone.

I really should have tracked all posts from devs over the web. I can´t find the video or post where madmole said this is gonna be a minecraft with zombies.

Well. Not even close to beeing a minecraft with Zombies after this alpha. They slowly dumb down all things besides fighting.

LUL WAT?

The game was literally CONCEIVED as Minecraft with Zombies, and digging zombies were ALWAYS a thing, except after A13 when they were removed while work was done to better the AI on them. So technically this IS the way it's supposed to be.

And why exactly can you use mods on a server?

But why wouldn't they? Why would they care if people want it? Surely more options attracting a wider audience is what any company would want.

Because every time the in game Options menu is expanded, that takes effort, effort to code it, effort to test, and then of course, effort to amend the game so that it takes account of the option.

So, it's not like it's a "free addition" or anything - as much as I hope 7Days becomes supremely configurable, there will always be some limits to what can be configured.

Hopefully, this is something that can be configured, but if it is, it'll likely be (I'd bet) XML edits, not an in game menu option.

But why wouldn't they? Why would they care if people want it? Surely more options attracting a wider audience is what any company would want.

Because some devs have a vision of what they want their game to be. And maybe they LIKE making players deal with diggers. It's their prerogative as developers to present the game the way THEY wish it to be, even if some of us do not like it. They've earned that right.

Turn off zombies?

Otherwise yeah sure put a slider or option but please don't nerf this mechanic. Some of us still play the game for a challenge and there are plenty of sandbox games out there pretending to be survival, we don't need another.

For the record I'm a builder and mine 6 nights a week in A17, it isn't as big an issue as people make out if you spent a few minutes reading and understanding the new build

LUL WAT?

The game was literally CONCEIVED as Minecraft with Zombies, and digging zombies were ALWAYS a thing, except after A13 when they were removed while work was done to better the AI on them. So technically this IS the way it's supposed to be.

And why exactly can you use mods on a server?

Yeah i know. But right now a lot of people are all like "BS, this was always thought as fps" Also this right now has NOTHING to do with a minecraft with zombies.

It´s a not so good looking dying light with a tiny bit of other genres now.

And no. Mods can´t be the solution. I am not gonna rent a server just because they don´t want to add another slider. We all have good internet and only play toghether when the whole squad is there, so no need to have a server.

And no. Mods can´t be the solution. I am not gonna rent a server just because they don´t want to add another slider. We all have good internet and only play toghether when the whole squad is there, so no need to have a server.

What does modding have to do with renting a server?

Minecraft with zombies? Seriously?!

Firstly, Zs in Minecraft can't destroy blocks. If they can't access the player (even through a door) they won't. Just like any other mob (unless there are mobs that do that, but i'd digress). You could put up a block in the 1x2 passage and they wouldn't get to you (unless there is another way around).

Secondly, Minecraft has a feature of spawning enemies only when the light level is low enough (apart from spawners), which means that if you want a safe spot - place torches everywhere. Want safe tunnels in the cave you discovered? Put torches everywhere. Even during the day, you can spot mobs in some dark places like in jungles (where light doesn't shine well), dark passages in the terrain, cave entrances, etc.

Thirdly, 7DTD was created for the sole purpose of Zs digging through blocks, not only horizontally, but also vertically. They can do it upwards, why not downwards? I could discuss about how only some Zs could be able to dig up and down or perhaps only some could have enough strength to punch blocks into dust (so only a handful can deal high enough block damage), but it's a different matter altogether.

I think the issue here is that they have coded in the option to turn off running zombies, they are even allowing us to set the run speed, so why not allow us to turn off digging? The default is walk day/run night, to me that's the vision of the devs for this game. But they code for different view points, I think digging should be an option as well.

I personally like that they can dig downwards again. It was kind of silly when they couldn't. They can break steel blocks with their bare hands but dirt and stone are too much for them? I'm also not seeing any problem with living underground right now either. We live in an underground bunker on my server and haven't had any trouble with zombies attempting to dig in our base. It might be because we aren't naive enough to try to hide down there during the blood moon nights. We go out and deal with them in other locations so they don't destroy our base. Maybe people are upset because they just can't hide under their proverbial beds anymore and have to actually deal with the blood moon nights now. All you have to do is employ one of the many other ways that allow you to completely negate the hordes and you will be fine.

I agree with those. But what you would need to ask for is for zombies not tearing through mats so that we can like you say "achieve" a safe place. I want that too. But underground bases with no digging zombies isnt achieving anything.

Some people think that is fun, thank you very much! What ever *you* think is an achievement is up to you. Other people think that 16km of tunnels dug under the surface are an achievement, or what-ever-they-decide-to-do can be an achievement!

I guess the great pyramid of Giza is NOT an achievement all of a sudden, because NO zombies died during the construction of it. The pyramid didn't protect against anything either... so it's a pointless waste of effort.

Sucks to be the ancient Egyptians. Or the Greeks with their temples. Or who ever sucker built the White House. No killing, no protection, no achievement. They should have known better I guess... can't build ♥♥♥♥ just for fun. It has to be for the achievement of protecting against something otherwise it doesn't count!

Oh well...

Maybe people are upset because they just can't hide under their proverbial beds anymore and have to actually deal with the blood moon nights now. All you have to do is employ one of the many other ways that allow you to completely negate the hordes and you will be fine.

It's not for the lack of being able to deal with it. It's about choice. It's about maybe not always wanting to spend nearly all week, every week repairing the base over and over and over again. Clearly there are different play styles. Why do people keep thinking that they have the only glorious way of dealing with everything the game throws at them and everybody else sucks. I don't give a rat's ass about what do you in your game. Please do the same with me!

Some people think that is fun, thank you very much! What ever *you* think is an achievement is up to you. Other people think that 16km of tunnels dug under the surface are an achievement, or what-ever-they-decide-to-do can be an achievement!

I guess the great pyramid of Giza is NOT an achievement all of a sudden, because NO zombies died during the construction of it. The pyramid didn't protect against anything either... so it's a pointless waste of effort.

Sucks to be the ancient Egyptians. Or the Greeks with their temples. Or who ever sucker built the White House. No killing, no protection, no achievement. They should have known better I guess... can't build ♥♥♥♥ just for fun. It has to be for the achievement of protecting against something otherwise it doesn't count!

Oh well...

Yes, pretty nice argument... considering you only quoted part of my message. My main point is precisely that he asks for:

In a survival game, my long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe.

And then says he just want base underground without zombi diggers, which is the contrary of that.

It's not for the lack of being able to deal with it. It's about choice. It's about maybe not always wanting to spend nearly all week, every week repairing the base over and over and over again. Clearly there are different play styles. Why do people keep thinking that they have the only glorious way of dealing with everything the game throws at them and everybody else sucks. I don't give a rat's ass about what do you in your game. Please do the same with me!

If you don't want to spend all week repairing the damage from the horde night then don't hide in a base. It's that simple. Get a vehicle and just ride away from them. Get coffee or beer and just run on foot. Heck you really don't even need the drinks and can make it just fine. Like you said you get to choose how you play the game. If you choose to play the game poorly then you will have to pay for that decision. Don't ask the devs to change the game up to suit your play style. Even putting in an option to disable that is asking the devs to take time away from other, more pressing, issues to fix something they don't see as a problem. They want the zombies to be able to dig so they will most likely continue to allow them to dig.

Thirdly, 7DTD was created for the sole purpose of Zs digging through blocks, not only horizontally, but also vertically. They can do it upwards, why not downwards? I could discuss about how only some Zs could be able to dig up and down or perhaps only some could have enough strength to punch blocks into dust (so only a handful can deal high enough block damage), but it's a different matter altogether.

Please, if you ever accidentally find anything worth money, on the street, or get it some other way that you didn't expect, make sure to give it away so you don't have access to it anymore. Because you were never supposed to have it in the first place. Yes, I'm making a point. It's the same.

For some people this worked. How ever crap you think it was, it worked and to some people it was fun. NON of the diggers ever came to you and told you "You have to dig down, you can't stay on the surface!" Why is everybody now running about saying "this was intended, deal with it".

It worked, it was fun, it never bothered anybody but those who want to stroke their superiority complex and who want to tell others what to do. None of you who are complaining, ever seriously went down anyway, I bet my nuts on it. If you were, you woulnd't be complaining now. What is the problem with some who want to spend a lot of effort and have a little more freedom of choice and who like building underground cathedrals, bunkers, tunnels - if they so chose. Why? Is it because they dug to your base in PVP and you didn't catch them? Because you died more than them since you both started? Because despite them being underground they have a bigger kill count? Because they collected more rock than you? What???

Seriously: What is YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEM with this? And don't tell me it's merely because it wasn't intended. That's BS. That's just straight words from a person that can't think outside the box.

Oh and your BS about "7DTD was created for the sole purpose of Zs digging through blocks". Whom is the game for? For the zombies or for me, the player? Can't I say what I like? Do the Zds matter more than me? Who pays TFP? Are the ZDs mining bitcoin or what, is that why they have to dig everywhere without fail?

I had 4000 hours of fun before this stuff changed. They did something right, something that no other game has, something that didn't infringe on anybodies right to NOT dig. I don't really care anymore, not enough to play, but enough to come here (before anybody tells me to just leave).

Honestly, you don't care what I think. You wouldn't say all what you and "the others" say if you all cared. You care about yourselves and that's it.

What ever. Don't mind me. Who am I? Some idiot who is not man enough to fight zombies I guess. That's all that counts appearantly. I guess I better ask for approval of my gaming tactics before bying any other games in the future. Someone might otherwise get offended because of something I like to do, even if it doesn't bother anybody.

Bye...

If you don't want to spend all week repairing the damage from the horde night then don't hide in a base. It's that simple. Get a vehicle and just ride away from them. Get coffee or beer and just run on foot. Heck you really don't even need the drinks and can make it just fine. Like you said you get to choose how you play the game. If you choose to play the game poorly then you will have to pay for that decision. Don't ask the devs to change the game up to suit your play style. Even putting in an option to disable that is asking the devs to take time away from other, more pressing, issues to fix something they don't see as a problem. They want the zombies to be able to dig so they will most likely continue to allow them to dig.

Oh so I get to ride a bike or minibike, or to log off and wait all and every horde night... I mean, thanks for the suggestions (they are boring and actually pretty close to cheating for real even if they are not game breaking), I see you are really trying, but the new build killed a big option and made it unnessessarily hard to do something I really enjoyed.

Remember - they changed the game from NOT digging to DIGGING. The change already happened! I'm not asking them to change anything, I'm asking them to keep things as they are (Edit: Correction: As they 'were') (in some respects), so it's actually the other way around and you made the point for me. They actually *spent time* building the digging feature INTO the game, which is why they didn't fix other pressing issues with the game, according to your, and my logic - because we agree. But we don't agree because you intended it, but because you made a shoddy argument.

"Don't ask the devs to change the game up to suit your play style." Why not? And why can you say that? You are here arguing for your play style, and I'm arguing for mine. Why does your playstyle count and mine doesn't - all of a sudden?

But your pressing issues thing takes the price. "Taking time away from other more pressing issues"? Come on?! WTF. After 8 years of EA, version-content-back-and-forth, engine switching, reinventing the wheel, flipping features on, off and on again, they all of a sudden don't have the time for a dig option that's on or off? That is rediculous! You really need to work on your argumentation if you want to come away looking better than this.

Yes, pretty nice argument... considering you only quoted part of my message. My main point is precisely that he asks for:

And then says he just want base underground without zombi diggers, which is the contrary of that.

You made a definitive statement that I disagreed with. We have different views on what is an achievement, or am I wrong again? I reacted to what you called a non achievement.

You made a definitive statement that I disagreed with. We have different views on what is an achievement, or am I wrong again? I reacted to what you called a non achievement.

He didnt say an achivement. He said "long-term goal is to achieve somewhere safe". That doesnt sound like bnuilding the pyramids for the sake of it like you talk about.

I never liked living underground tbh. If people want to avoid blood moon it's still quite simple. Use a bicycle (minibike or motorbike as well), hide on a roof of a large POI, if you're on a server just don't log in, if in multiplayer just die and sit at the spawn screen, turn zombies to walk only in XMLs, ect. ect. Though I accept that digging zombies take away 1 option to avoid blood moon. I'm OK with them because digging zombies wouldn't affect my playstyle either way because I've always felt that living underground is boring, but I do understand why some would want them removed. Also, as for mining, it's still easy imo but I have died to a digging horde that got in my mine lol.

EDIT: misread the post I was replying to so I edited to fit the topic correctly

i don't understand why people get so het up about things like this. OP asked for an OPTION to be added. Good Lord. I would like the option to turn off digging as well. I understand the devs having the prerogative to create whatever they like, but at the same time-have an interest in satisfying customers and keeping them coming back. If i want to play a shooter i have dying light and destiny. i come here to explore, be a little creative, get that feeling of satisfaction from progression AND be able to do what i want.

However dumb it might seem to everyone-one of the things i enjoy in this game is checking out the player made prefabs. Many of them are literally works of art. Once i'm able to do it-i'll pick one i think is amazing and "restore"/"fortify" it. i started that the other night and they dug through a very carefully crafted water tunnel/lake someone had made. In some of them i'm sure that could cause a collapse. And fixing water isn't so easy to do(This was day 2. So not "hiding out" on horde night)

So i just want it able to be turned off to keep from having cool things destroyed. I don't see any reason why we can't deal with z's where we choose to and i don't see why wanting a choice is grounds for so much salt

i don't understand why people get so het up about things like this. OP asked for an OPTION to be added. Good Lord. I would like the option to turn off digging as well. I understand the devs having the prerogative to create whatever they like, but at the same time-have an interest in satisfying customers and keeping them coming back. If i want to play a shooter i have dying light and destiny. i come here to explore, be a little creative, get that feeling of satisfaction from progression AND be able to do what i want.

However dumb it might seem to everyone-one of the things i enjoy in this game is checking out the player made prefabs. Many of them are literally works of art. Once i'm able to do it-i'll pick one i think is amazing and "restore"/"fortify" it. i started that the other night and they dug through a very carefully crafted water tunnel/lake someone had made. In some of them i'm sure that could cause a collapse. And fixing water isn't so easy to do(This was day 2. So not "hiding out" on horde night)

So i just want it able to be turned off to keep from having cool things destroyed. I don't see any reason why we can't deal with z's where we choose to and i don't see why wanting a choice is grounds for so much salt

I agree with you, there's an option to make zombies always walk for heaven's sake. I would NEVER put that option on because to me it would be as boring as watching paint dry. But if some want to play that way, I sincerely hope they enjoy it. Just because it's not for me doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option atleast lol. Why would I care how someone else plays?

Archived