Our Idiot Proof Horde Base

RantingMonkey

Alpha 17 has changed everything in 7 Days to Die. Old base designs are worthless against the new hordes. Satsu and Monkey have been experimenting with different builds and have come up with this idiot proof design using the zombie pathing and a lot of barbed wire. While this is only an exhibition of the day 14 horde night, the base can be expanded to include turrets and blade traps for later hordes.

This horde base was made on the Navezgane map using the Working Stiffs Tools just outside of Diresville but we have tested it and it can be built from scratch as long as the basic design is followed. For the day 7 horde you can actually build the entire thing out of wood.

On the 7th night horde I fight zombies with a sledge hammer and no base.

PS: Hitting those zombie dogs with a sledge hammer just when they run to you and try to bite you is one of the best things in the game, you have to try it - make sure to time it well to land a nice power hit, instantly sending them several meters away from you, it feels like hitting pins with a bowling ball lol

On the 7th night horde I fight zombies with a sledge hammer and no base.

PS: Hitting those zombie dogs with a sledge hammer just when they run to you and try to bite you is one of the best things in the game, you have to try it - make sure to time it well to land a nice power hit, instantly sending them several meters away from you, it feels like hitting pins with a bowling ball lol

Its more fun with vultures, my record is launching one over a tent about 13-14 blocks from where I was standing, that never gets old.

As for base design, its all about exploiting the AI now, as no matter how thick your walls are they will bust thru them in a very short timeframe. If anything it made horde night even easier, as you can plan a kill path which the zombies WILL take for sure, I love the large church poi for a first base, knock out the back stairs, and the zombies will only come in from the front door, so you can set up easy kill boxes.

Yeah, whacking vultures is fun lol. Just survived first bloodmoon in a tiny tiny wood shack i made wit hspikes on the outside. Was close to failing lol. Base design isn't all about exploting the AI... unless you refuse to use any spikes or other traps. Spikes make the difference. Walls alone = failed. Walls + spikes = eventual fail. Walls + spikes + you shooting arrows and/or bullets = win.

As for base design, its all about exploiting the AI now, as no matter how thick your walls are they will bust thru them in a very short timeframe.

Yeah that's one of the reasons we love this base design, they only touch the walls if they bunch up too much and since we give them so much room that doesn't happen too often. We tried all of the old designs but now zombies can slip through the pillars and even dig so underground bases aren't safe.

Thanks RMonkey for the video.

Great design. It works. I'm sad and glad at the same time, because it proves I was right.

I can't help thinking about so many people who have complained about how you could make totally safe bases in a16 so there was no challenge anymore (or just dig underground) and that that was exploitative of the game mechanics and how glad they are that underground base building was gone. ... And I said it was just a matter of time before before the a17x mechanics would be understood and new totally safe bases would be built.

I came up with a way to make the zds run a perpetual loop in the first few hours I played a17x. I find it dissapointing and sad that I get ranted at for my opinion on how good a16 was, for saying how little a17x would change in how horde nights play out in the end (in regard to "exploits" - not my choice of words), how a17x was NOT the new saviour of the kingdom of 7DTD just because bunker building was nerfed... and yet here we are... and I was right.

That video says more than any words I've said about this topic and thanks for posting it. Anybody still not convinced will only see how right I was through doing the same monkey trick another 100-200 times and getting bored by it in the end. If you haven't understood it by now then I won't be able to help you and I won't try. Go ahead and play the game another few thousand hours and you'll see.

There is no way any number of AI lines will outsmart the player. The AI will always do the same, we will test their limits and translate their failures into our successes and once we have decoded in our minds how the Zds react, everything will always result in what some mistakenly have called "exploits". What they mean is cheating. What everybody is doing however, even them, is using the game mechanics to their advantage to overcome the challenge. And no matter what, there will always be a way to optimize your defences to make horde nights easily defendable. It's alway just a matter of time. And I knew that. Some still act surprised however.

There was no need to remove bunker building and raising the bedrock level. Something fun was removed and the proof is here - removed for no good reason.

And I'll not hijack this any further. If you insist on continuing this discussion along these lines then send a pm.

Over and out of this thread.

Alpha 17 has changed everything in 7 Days to Die. Old base designs are worthless against the new hordes. Satsu and Monkey have been experimenting with different builds and have come up with this idiot proof design using the zombie pathing and a lot of barbed wire. While this is only an exhibition of the day 14 horde night, the base can be expanded to include turrets and blade traps for later hordes.

This horde base was made on the Navezgane map using the Working Stiffs Tools just outside of Diresville but we have tested it and it can be built from scratch as long as the basic design is followed. For the day 7 horde you can actually build the entire thing out of wood.

Great video!

That's a cool design!

I definitely learned a few things from what you did there.

The OP issue with the inevitable lost XP due to infected dropping onto spikes had me wondering if there was a way to flawlessly get them to loop back around into the building so that you could pick them all off with ranged shots.

My latest test is using the same cage concept for the horde base, with the infected climbing up the ramp, falling down and then they loop around to climb the ramp again. No spikes or barbed wire is used, 100% XP from ranged kills. No blocks were harmed in this test since they all focused on pathing up to me.

As usual, remove the center wood frames before they come:

ramp_tower.thumb.jpg.ad4d40e7783c1cb43de54f5f31d2e7d7.jpg

Thats why a year ago I suggested to introduce more randomness to the zombie behavior. But what I see is ok while there are no cops, so for the first zombie horde this could be a valid tactic.

Equal smartness leads to predictability. Some of zombies should be dumber and just hit blocks :) . Ideally there could be a random parameter of smartness, at some point it could turn off the A* algorithm at all. That would introduce a zombie chaos without predictable pattern.

Thanks RMonkey for the video.

Great design. It works. I'm sad and glad at the same time, because it proves I was right.

I can't help thinking about so many people who have complained about how you could make totally safe bases in a16 so there was no challenge anymore (or just dig underground) and that that was exploitative of the game mechanics and how glad they are that underground base building was gone. ... And I said it was just a matter of time before before the a17x mechanics would be understood and new totally safe bases would be built.

I came up with a way to make the zds run a perpetual loop in the first few hours I played a17x. I find it dissapointing and sad that I get ranted at for my opinion on how good a16 was, for saying how little a17x would change in how horde nights play out in the end (in regard to "exploits" - not my choice of words), how a17x was NOT the new saviour of the kingdom of 7DTD just because bunker building was nerfed... and yet here we are... and I was right.

That video says more than any words I've said about this topic and thanks for posting it. Anybody still not convinced will only see how right I was through doing the same monkey trick another 100-200 times and getting bored by it in the end. If you haven't understood it by now then I won't be able to help you and I won't try. Go ahead and play the game another few thousand hours and you'll see.

There is no way any number of AI lines will outsmart the player. The AI will always do the same, we will test their limits and translate their failures into our successes and once we have decoded in our minds how the Zds react, everything will always result in what some mistakenly have called "exploits". What they mean is cheating. What everybody is doing however, even them, is using the game mechanics to their advantage to overcome the challenge. And no matter what, there will always be a way to optimize your defences to make horde nights easily defendable. It's alway just a matter of time. And I knew that. Some still act surprised however.

There was no need to remove bunker building and raising the bedrock level. Something fun was removed and the proof is here - removed for no good reason.

And I'll not hijack this any further. If you insist on continuing this discussion along these lines then send a pm.

Over and out of this thread.

Hear hear.

I'm on day 4. Should I be making a base to prepare for day 7? I was planning on running away from zombies this time.

I previoulsy built an arena for horde night on A16 and it worked quite well, mostly. I basically dug out a large square of land with only a small bridge leading to a central point. At the bottom of the arena were spikes, zombies fell on them. The buggers dug out the land under the platform though haha

I then moved on to a concrete pillar type defence station. You had to jump up to get to the top. Picked them off from there. By day 30 or so I was dealing with very tough customers. Had to jump off the platform. Ran away, died soon after and that was it for me and 7D2D until the update came out.

Now i'm trying again, solo.

I tell u what i need to survive every horde night:

(I use no MOD except the Prefabs-Compo-Pack)

- ~ 20 woodladders

- ~ 4 woodframes

It specially works on high buildings like constructionsite or theater or factories - the higher the better ;)

just go staright up the building with the ladders - destroy the most low 3 ladders - on the highest point place some woodframes and stay there

thats all - LOL

Zombies may destroy a few blocks (what they always do - no matter if highend-base or no base or whatever)

but I can leave the PC for eating, smoking or playing basketball during every hordenight

(had ten hordenights without any problems so far - btw: I made this in xcustom_PersianMansion and also in some Vanilla-prefabs when i visited far away towns)

Archived