So Long Walking Dead!

Roland

The new Run and Jog speeds are so superior to walking speed that I never see myself ever going back. Question is which speed do I like best for daylight: jog or run?

Which new speed do you prefer to walking? I love the run speed when out in the world but it makes POI clearing impossible for me without running outside. They are just too fast in close quarters. Jogging speed makes POIs a lot more tense but I can still usually remain in the POI and deal with zombies but feel more pressure.

Think I’ll stick with jog for now. Never again walk.

Basically the same.

What would be nice but probably hard to do maybe but add in another setting for zombies inside pois. If that is possible for the game to register the difference from inside and outside so you could have them run but inside they would walk/jog until they go outside. I know wishful thinking lol

Basically the same.

What would be nice but probably hard to do maybe but add in another setting for zombies inside pois. If that is possible for the game to register the difference from inside and outside so you could have them run but inside they would walk/jog until they go outside. I know wishful thinking lol

I think this would be necessary to reach a good balance. Sounds hard to implement tho.

I think the new options for the speed of Zombies is a great add for all. Those that like faster can get it. New players that have yet to get into the swing of harder style or just like it slower now have that option too. I think this is a big add in for new and experienced players.

I like the "jog" option. This makes them threatening if you backtrack with a crossbow, but not fast enough to keep up with you if you need stamina.

And since I cannot kill a zombie on insane without regening stamina, this is a must :D

Ferals are on run and bloodmoon on nightmare.

Simply because ferals day 1 are a thing and I have no desire beeing killed by rng :D

This +1

Can someone explain the new options to me as I don't get it.

First of all zombies already have variable speeds though it isn't random. The new options let you set the speed of zombies and ferals as well as blood moon separately. This adds on to their current speed so the cheerleader will jog a little faster than other zombies since she walks a little faster anyway.

Sprint is the default night speed of zombies and general speed of ferals. But now you can set zombies to walk, jog, run, sprint, or nightmare during either day or night. You can set ferals independently and you can set bloodmoon independently. Bloodmoon speed trumps all other settings.

So if you want zombies sprint during the day but walk at night you can do that. If you want all zombies and ferals to always walk except on blood moon when they can sprint you can do that. If you want zombies to jog at day, nightmare at night, and ferals to always walk, but all zombies to jog during the bloodmoon you can do that.

Yeah, I'll never be going back. I started with Jog, but i've already set it to Run. To me - the RUN is more like an actual Jog.

That's a good point about the POIs - but once you've leveled your character a bit that won't be a problem. You'll be able to take them quicker than you can now. I think RUN is a good day setting. Nightmare for everything else. :)

I love how they are leisurely walking around and then when they notice you they break into that jogging run. It makes it feel like they really want to eat you. It also helps to hear them because their footsteps are more noticeable when they are run/jogging. Seeing a wandering horde walking along and then as they notice you they break into the faster speed is cool.

Nightmare at night is not my cup of tea...lol. I like the sprint speed because I can still slightly outrun them if my base gets breached. Having them be faster than me at night is too scary.

I'm going to leave ferals as they are, since they are special zombies, but normal zombies i'm going to try jog for day and night, bloodmoon zombies i'll leave default as well. I never liked the idea of zombies running just cuz it was dark out, this finally lets me fix it, to balance it out, i'll make them faster than walk during the day, but not sprinting at night. Again to me ferals are "sepcial infected" so them running seems perfectly logical to me. I do wish there was a more easier to see visual cue that seperates a feral from a normal. Maybe have them more, hmm whats the word? gored?/bloody?

- - - Updated - - -

I love how they are leisurely walking around and then when they notice you they break into that jogging run. It makes it feel like they really want to eat you. It also helps to hear them because their footsteps are more noticeable when they are run/jogging. Seeing a wandering horde walking along and then as they notice you they break into the faster speed is cool.

Nightmare at night is not my cup of tea...lol. I like the sprint speed because I can still slightly outrun them if my base gets breached. Having them be faster than me at night is too scary.

Oh we also got the 5th speed where they can outrun you as well in this build?

I LOVE jog speed at day! It's funny, I was thinking that walk is just too slow and yet I don't want to deal with run all the time, and how there's no difference in feral and normal run. Started a fresh world with Jog day, Sprint night, Ferals and bloodmoon are Nightmare.

Nightmare is very fast lol.

Oh yeah, I love that too. They walk pretty normal then they spot you and they have the blood lust pace when they see you.

Nightmare at night has got to be the only choice :) For me - the night should be scary and you have to be very cautious - one mistake - one noise too loud and you're toast. I'm so used to just looting at night after I've leveled a bit - I mean every house even in the day after you reach a certain GS is nothing but mostly running ferals and irradiated anyway - so it makes no difference night or day. I got so used to the standard running - that nightmare has got to be the only way to go to boost that challenge and reset my caution levels.

I'm going to leave ferals as they are, since they are special zombies, but normal zombies i'm going to try jog for day and night, bloodmoon zombies i'll leave default as well. I never liked the idea of zombies running just cuz it was dark out, this finally lets me fix it, to balance it out, i'll make them faster than walk during the day, but not sprinting at night. Again to me ferals are "sepcial infected" so them running seems perfectly logical to me. I do wish there was a more easier to see visual cue that seperates a feral from a normal. Maybe have them more, hmm whats the word? gored?/bloody?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh we also got the 5th speed where they can outrun you as well in this build?

Nightmare IS the fifth speed, actually.

Walk, Jog, Run, Sprint, and Nightmare - 5 total speeds to choose from

It sure seems like they could outrun you in my limited time with them. That or even could just grab you about a second after you run out of stamina. You got to have some real fancy footwork to get away.

I totally love having these options, awesome job. One more nice to have would be an additional one for feral day and feral night instead of just feral (all the time)

I know its prob a pain to add at this point and there are other priorities (like RWG ;) )... but it would be even more awesome.

I totally love having these options, awesome job. One more nice to have would be an additional one for feral day and feral night instead of just feral (all the time)

I know its prob a pain to add at this point and there are other priorities (like RWG ;) )... but it would be even more awesome.

I agree with all of that. Be nice to do Day_Feral Sprint and Night_Feral Nightmare, or something of the sort.

Walk and jog are too slow and run is a little too fast for day time for me. I was hoping jog would be a little faster. I think walk should become jog, jog should be a little slower than run, run should be sprint, sprint should be a little faster, and nightmare can stay the same. It would be great if these multipliers became moddable though.

I've actually tried modding zombies speeds in A208 so this is a welcome change even though it's obviously less precise than modding. I tried adding ranges to their speed (so instead of bumping the old 0.2 ApproachSpeed to something like 0.4, I wrote 0.2,0.4), but it threw an exception in the console everytime a zombie tried to spawn.

I also liked the idea of facing zombies and not knowing at which speed they would come at me. It would make the whole process of prioritizing your target more dynamic, since it wouldn't always be the closest zombie, but actually the one you expect to hit your first given his distance and speed.

I haven't checked yet, but is the default multiplier for walk/jog/run/spring/nightmare moddable ? I'm pretty sure one is gonna feel too slow and the next too fast, so if you can edit those values, it'd be perfect.

These settings affect zombie movement speed, not the player's.

Ooooo .... in that case gimmie zombies that always walk when inside during the day. Walking and jogging zombies outside during the day. Jogging and Running zombies at night both inside and outside.

Archived