Proposed Reorganization of Game Modification Forum - Respectful Input Welcomed

xyth

The problem with that is clutter. Me alone, I have over 15 plus modlets listed. If I made one post for each mod I would have a page to myself. Now add in 5 other modders, all with bumped replies etc. Its hard enough finding posts in here, but recently its been much worse.

Cataloging them n one post is more efficient, lets modders post when updates are made and is easier for readers to look through in an opening post rather than scattered modlets spread across 20 pages.

Sorry Im late to the party Xyth but tossing my YAY in on the changes. Sounds good.

To be clear, I wouldn't forbid an index thread for modders that think that works for them, but I wouldn't require it either. It would suck for big mods: for instance if everyone browsing for Ravenhearst had to know or determine that it's a JaxTeller718 mod to find it. They could run a search, but that's bypassing the list of mods such that organization wouldn't matter anyway.

Basically, an index doesn't make sense in cases where a mod has made a bigger name for itself than the modder. While few 'big-name' mods compatible with A17 are out now, I fully expect that to change.

Once all the mod threads are separated from the discussion and request threads, that alone should make it much easier to find a mod. Even if I'm looking for a small modlet among many, seeing a list of "Jane's Modlets, Kim's Modlets, Larry's Modlets" doesn't help me find a bigger backpack mod or whatever I'm looking for the modlet to do.

To be clear, I wouldn't forbid an index thread for modders that think that works for them, but I wouldn't require it either. It would suck for big mods: for instance if everyone browsing for Ravenhearst had to know or determine that it's a JaxTeller718 mod to find it. They could run a search, but that's bypassing the list of mods such that organization wouldn't matter anyway.

Basically, an index doesn't make sense in cases where a mod has made a bigger name for itself than the modder. While few 'big-name' mods compatible with A17 are out now, I fully expect that to change.

Once all the mod threads are separated from the discussion and request threads, that alone should make it much easier to find a mod. Even if I'm looking for a small modlet among many, seeing a list of "Jane's Modlets, Kim's Modlets, Larry's Modlets" doesn't help me find a bigger backpack mod or whatever I'm looking for the modlet to do.

You missed a step lol. The overhaul mod(let)s will have a thread of their own.

Whereas single modlets by a modder is in a separate section thus requiring modders to place all their single mods into 1 post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't see the need to require this. Who the author of a mod is isn't more important than what the mod itself is, at least to me. In other words, I'd rather see a list of mod titles than a list of modder names. A modder should at least have the option of letting each mod they make stand on its own in its own thread, and not be consolidated with their other works if they don't want it to be.

I wrote "Modders with more than 1 mod will be asked to index their mods into a single post.", emphasis on "ask". I don't plan on enforcing it because, as you suggest, some folks might want it that way. I do think most mossers with multiple mods will choose to do an index though, if not just to make their lives easier.

Archived