Proposed Reorganization of Game Modification Forum - Respectful Input Welcomed

xyth

As a complete outsider as far a game modding is concerned I have been looking forward to some sort of forum layout update too. I visit the modding forums alot even before registering and have been playing the game since release.

I do see people now getting confused with the new Xpath [Modlet] and the old type XML Full mods, could we have under game mods seperate places to look for full mods e.g Undead Legacy Ravenhearst and the likes then a place for the 'plug an play' stackable modlets.

I assume that xpath modding may fully take over at some point but for now we have the mixture of the new and old.

I agree with the shared spreadsheet, I suggest google doc's since someone could request access to it and edit it, also to prevent randoms from opening the spreadsheet and deleting all information or changing #s to random #s.

That's what I was thinking would work best. Thanks for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

I do see people now getting confused with the new Xpath [Modlet] and the old type XML Full mods, could we have under game mods seperate places to look for full mods e.g Undead Legacy Ravenhearst and the likes then a place for the 'plug an play' stackable modlets.

Thats what the tags would do. Full mods are tagged overhauls, Xpath is Xpathed, compilations are collections of xpath mods that work together and dont step over each other, etc. Thanks for the comment!

The only problem with tags is due to the number of modlets, full mods would almost always go to a second or third page. I'm just not sure if there are enough overhaul mods to justify a separate section.

Good point. Perhaps we can sticky the popular ones.

I just really wish we could have a better forum package. This one marks all messages read after a certain amount of time, rather than you actually reading them. It doesn't let you search for terms like "UI" because the word isn't big enough.

I often want to only see posts that have "UI" in the title, but I can't do that. So UI mods get lost several pages down and I have to scroll through every damn page trying to find them again. That's what I wish we could change, more than how the sub-forums are arranged/named.

Modlet should be called a MOD, I don't like the proposal of modlets, I'm sorry if you really like this new term, but the more I hear it, the more I think it's not something I would want to use, that gets rid of the term "MOD" and "MODS". As much as Modlets rime with "Let's mod some Modlets", mods should be called mods, don't reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel. Many games in gaming industry use the terminology MOD and MODS, let's keep the tradition.

Here's my two cents on suggested tags:

Mods (modlets) without SDX: [MOD]

Mods with SDX: [sDX]

Compilation: [PACK]

Overhaul: [Overhaul]

API: [API]

Modlet should be called a MOD, I don't like the proposal of modlets, I'm sorry if you really like this new term, but the more I hear it, the more I think it's not something I would want to use, that gets rid of the term "MOD" and "MODS". As much as Modlets rime with "Let's mod some Modlets", mods should be called mods, don't reinvent the wheel for the sake of reinventing the wheel. Many games in gaming industry use the terminology MOD and MODS, let's keep the tradition.

It is a fair point that Modlet isn't really a term we needed. I would say though, it's probably too late to trash it at this point. I find the majority of people accepted it already and that's tricky to undo. I would've personally preferred "xpath mod" to "modlet" but really, it isn't a huge deal what it's called as long as everyone knows what you mean. I'm cool with whatever the moderators choose to do about rearranging the forum, I just do agree it needs some reorganization. Modlets are different as they don't overwrite core files and there definitely needs to be separation between mods that change core files and ones that don't. :D

It is a fair point that Modlet isn't really a term we needed. I would say though, it's probably too late to trash it at this point. I find the majority of people accepted it already and that's tricky to undo. I would've personally preferred "xpath mod" to "modlet" but really, it isn't a huge deal what it's called as long as everyone knows what you mean. I'm cool with whatever the moderators choose to do about rearranging the forum, I just do agree it needs some reorganization. Modlets are different as they don't overwrite core files and there definitely needs to be separation between mods that change core files and ones that don't. :D

Your last sentence hit it on the head really. Mod/s overwrite game files/xmls manual edits required. Modlets don't just drop in mod folder and play.

I like the name modlets for the new modding way. Dev would be the same issues and confusion and no point I reorganising the forum if it were left at mods.

I do like the term Pack instead of Compilation. Fewer letters, same meaning. If no one objects I will make that change.

MODS as a prefix is problematic, as previously EVERYTHING was a MOD. We need a way to subclass MODS. Modlet is useful to clearly state its the new, built-in, vanilla way to mod this game. The term modlet was created by very early adopters, so additionally it's a respectful "tip of the hat" to the folks who worked behind the scenes to help make this functionality available to all of us in A17.

(..) The term modlet was created by very early adopters, so additionally it's a respectful "tip of the hat" to the folks who worked behind the scenes to help make this functionality available to all of us in A17.

Yes, but the term MOD and MODS was made way, way before them :D

while things like: [Modlet] or maybe [XMOD] would be better to have to distinguish, I think we still should use the term [MOD], however my proposition in regards to forums:

Crate a new sub forum called "Legacy Mods" or "Mods (Legacy)" or something like that, put every single mod up to this date there. Then you have a blank slate for new mods for A17 and onward and we can keep using the term [MOD], it's shorter than MODLET and less confusing for new people.

There is only a handful of new mods for A17, you can keep them in the Mods category section. This change should be done soon, otherwise it will be more work to do something about it.

Initially, I was against the term modlet, having modded games for decades, the old terminology seemed to be best. However, that all changed after I saw the difference between what we are calling a modlet and what a tradiitonal mod is. Being that modlets are easily stackable and easily installed, and users are not all knowing entities, I think they need to be differentiated from mods that alter the core files, which may not themselves be overhauls.

while things like: [Modlet] or maybe [XMOD] would be better to have to distinguish, I think we still should use the term [MOD],
I think modlet fits better for the average user, perhaps not what the modder wants.

however my proposition in regards to forums: Crate a new sub forum called "Legacy Mods" or "Mods (Legacy)" or something like that, put every single mod up to this date there. Then you have a blank slate for new mods for A17 and onward...
With how many mods and modlets are out there, I don't think a flatout fresh slate is appropriate at this point.

...and we can keep using the term [MOD], it's shorter than MODLET and less confusing for new people.
I am sorry, but not differentiating between things that are easily stackable and things that aren't would be VERY confusing for anyone looking on the forums.

There is only a handful of new mods for A17, you can keep them in the Mods category section. This change should be done soon, otherwise it will be more work to do something about it.
You must have some very large hands, because there are literally dozens of new mods and modlets in A17 on the forums. :D

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Initially, I was against the term modlet, having modded games for decades, the old terminology seemed to be best. However, that all changed after I saw the difference between what we are calling a modlet and what a tradiitonal mod is. Being that modlets are easily stackable and easily installed, and users are not all knowing entities, I think they need to be differentiated from mods that alter the core files, which may not themselves be overhauls.

I think modlet fits better for the average user, perhaps not what the modder wants.

With how many mods and modlets are out there, I don't think a flatout fresh slate is appropriate at this point.

I am sorry, but not differentiating between things that are easily stackable and things that aren't would be VERY confusing for anyone looking on the forums.

You must have some very large hands, because there are literally dozens of new mods and modlets in A17 on the forums. :D

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

Going with elucidus here as well. Someone else is not being very fair in thinking. just my 2 cent’r

I think it might be too late to just move all the contents of the current mods thread into a legacy thread and "start fresh". Way to many A17 mods now to have to sort out and move back. The old stuff will float to the bottom so there may not be much of an advantage anyway. But it's a fair point, and I will check to see what is the least amount of work needed to sort that out. Problem is the current mods forum is an ugly mix of discussions, requests, mods, overhauls, etc,. Probably more discussions and requests than mods . Thats why I thought dumping all that into discussion and requests made more sense.

Submitted change request. Not sure how long before they go into effect. Maybe next forum maintenance window whenever that is. Thank you all for your input and for your future patience while threads are moved around.

Modders with more than 1 mod will be asked to index their mods into a single post. While no specific format for the index post is required, there are several examples of good formats out there by folks like Guppy, Jax (and many others) that you can copy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't see the need to require this. Who the author of a mod is isn't more important than what the mod itself is, at least to me. In other words, I'd rather see a list of mod titles than a list of modder names. A modder should at least have the option of letting each mod they make stand on its own in its own thread, and not be consolidated with their other works if they don't want it to be.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't see the need to require this. Who the author of a mod is isn't more important than what the mod itself is, at least to me. In other words, I'd rather see a list of mod titles than a list of modder names. A modder should at least have the option of letting each mod they make stand on its own in its own thread, and not be consolidated with their other works if they don't want it to be.

The problem with that is clutter. Me alone, I have over 15 plus modlets listed. If I made one post for each mod I would have a page to myself. Now add in 5 other modders, all with bumped replies etc. Its hard enough finding posts in here, but recently its been much worse.

Cataloging them n one post is more efficient, lets modders post when updates are made and is easier for readers to look through in an opening post rather than scattered modlets spread across 20 pages.

Sorry Im late to the party Xyth but tossing my YAY in on the changes. Sounds good.

Archived