Proposed Reorganization of Game Modification Forum - Respectful Input Welcomed

xyth

I'd like to ask for input on my proposed restructuring of the Game Modification section. I only want to make minor changes that will help people find what they are looking for easily.

I do not want to add subforums, archive folders and the like which, in my experience moderating other forums, results in even more confusion. Prefixes should be used for describing content "types" of things inside a specific thread that separates topics. Keep it simple. Max number of forums and prefixes per forum <= 5. I will move posts placed in the wrong forum, and may edit prefixes if they are clearly incorrect. Otherwise I will contact the OP for clarification. Modders with more than 1 mod will be asked to index their mods into a single post. While no specific format for the index post is required, there are several examples of good formats out there by folks like Guppy, Jax (and many others) that you can copy.

So with those ground rules set, here is my proposal:

--------------- Current Format -------------------

Forum
7 Days to Die - PC
Game Modification
Game Mods
Modding Tools
SDX Tools
Prefabs
Tutorials & Guides

--------------- Proposed Format ------------------

Forum
7 Days to Die - PC
Game Modification
Discussion and Requests
Mods
Tools
Prefabs
Tutorials & Guides

-------------------- Prefixes --------------------------

Only two forums need a Prefix Index. Those are:

Mods Prefixes: SDX, Modlet, API, Compilation, Overhaul
(SDX - mods that use scripts or patch scripts)
(Modlet - mods crafted with XPath edits and merged directly by the game)
(API - dedicated server APIs, like server managers)
(Compilation - curated collections of XPath modlets that work well together)
(Overhaul - game change done by manually overwriting xml game files)

Discussion and Requests prefixes: Request, Info, Discussion
(Request threads are locked once the question is answered)
(Info threads offer useful information to the community)
(Discussion is for threads that encourage opinions and debate)
[/Code]

Transition: Move all posts from current Game Mods forum to the new Discussions and Requests forum. I will then move mod index posts and active single mod posts back to Mods forum. Move all posts from SDX Tools to Tools and delete the old SDX Tools subforum.

I look forward to your feedback on this.

Bottom left corner of post. * Symbol.

Reputation and liking a post is different. Liking a post indicates you seen the post and agree and or like what they have contributed in that specific post. Reputation is just saying hey i like you. Reputation is nice and all but in general it doesn't really do anything. In this instance many people that have read xyth's post could have liked it adding their name to the I agree or I approve list thus giving the topic more weight without adding more posts to read through. Also its just easier to click a button than to post I agree or similar.

Saves reading post count and space on this forums server.

Xyth

I have another Idea if you bare with me -

A section where us modders can look at ids so we dont use the same ids as another mod.

for example loot.xml

lootcontainers. When we make a mod we go to this section and look ok this lootcontainer is free and then the modder posts on that section saying his/her mod is going to use lootcontainer 200 - 210 or 220 etc however many that modder needs so another modder doesnt use the same one etc.

Hope that is understandable can do it for any xml that has ids to

Kinda the same as liking a post imo.

Either way, the system exists.

Not even close to the same. If I click the reputation button I add to your rep power YOU are the only one that see's that I added to it all anyone else see's is that your rep power has gone up but no relevant reason why. If I like a post and in the post it says AnsontheToad like's this then everyone including you see's that I agree with what you said or that I like what you have contributed. It's an easy way for people to share their opinion without bloating a topic with redundant posts. It's a completely different thing.

I think you're missing my point.

Likes, reputation, ANY kind of online kudos, is equally useless, therefor the same.

There's 0 net gain in advertising how many likes a post gets... It would end up as a popularity contest, and I'm saying this as the person with the most rep points...

It's all very useless.

Likes, reputation, ANY kind of online kudos, is equally useless, therefor the same.

There's 0 net gain in advertising how many likes a post gets... It would end up as a popularity contest, and I'm saying this as the person with the most rep points...

It's all very useless.

Next we will have ads lol. Oh wait this isn't facebook lol

It's all very useless.

I think your missing mine.

It's not for likes... it's to symbolize that you AGREE with a persons post. It's not tracked anywhere other that that single post. It's just to show that others AGREE with that specific post. It's just called a LIKE button or thanks button on some forums or even a thumbs up button on some. It is only relevant for that specific posts and allows people to say I agree without having to POST I agree.

It is way easier for someone that agree's with a post you make to click a button than to make a post and say I agree. And could cut down on having to read a lot of posts.

Xyth

I have another Idea if you bare with me -

A section where us modders can look at ids so we dont use the same ids as another mod.

for example loot.xml

lootcontainers. When we make a mod we go to this section and look ok this lootcontainer is free and then the modder posts on that section saying his/her mod is going to use lootcontainer 200 - 210 or 220 etc however many that modder needs so another modder doesnt use the same one etc.

Hope that is understandable can do it for any xml that has ids to

I asked a few of our coder genius folks to see if we can expand the number of lootcontainer ID's past 256. I expect they will decide on a good way to do that then this wont be a big issue. We could do a shared spreadsheet or something. Let me think on our options. Thanks for the idea!

I asked a few of our coder genius folks to see if we can expand the number of lootcontainer ID's past 256. I expect they will decide on a good way to do that then this wont be a big issue. We could do a shared spreadsheet or something. Let me think on our options. Thanks for the idea!

I agree with the shared spreadsheet, I suggest google doc's since someone could request access to it and edit it, also to prevent randoms from opening the spreadsheet and deleting all information or changing #s to random #s.

Archived