The One Stat Challenge

Zourin

The rules are simple:

Nomad Difficulty

Pick one attribute.

Only invest perk points in that ONE attribute. No, you can't cross over to INT for a forge.

You CAN use your access to the trader, vending machines, and non-destroyed workstations.

You CAN use consumables and wearables that affect attributes, like glasses, shades, or magazines.

Survive.

Lets see if these perk trees can hold weight. Reply with your experiences. :smile-new:

I could see str or fort making it for sure, the rest probally not.

Perception would be a master of ranged combat, as well as treasure hunts, the best scavenged loot, and a lot of wrenched materials to hawk off at the trader for ammo. Also excel at those treasure hunt missions, which would be a pretty easy source of food or ammo.

Agility is all about stealth and mobility. I can see that surviving for sure despite the lack of pack mule, with perks like Light Armor, Parkour, and Swimmer.

Int is the hardest, but has access to all the tech if it can survive that long. Int also has considerable advantage at the trader, so probably has access to a fair number of tools, armor, and weapons much earlier. The downside is the long stretch to 20 and low combat strength and resourcing ability.

Fortitude is the big dog of attributes, for Dead is Dead at least.

A fort character probably won't die of hunger, thirst, exposure, or disease at least. Who needs to cook when you can eat potatoes straight out of the ground and water straight out of the toilet. The high resiliency is gained at a loss of tech, resourcing/scavenging, low damage potential, and most trader benefits. The question is.. how important are those lost benefits? A strong early game, but mid?

Level gating will be an ever bigger pain in the ass than usual for this kind playthrough.

I'd probably go for perception. Looting good ranged weapons and making good use of them sounds like the safest bet in the long run.

A fort character probably won't die of hunger, thirst, exposure, or disease at least. Who needs to cook when you can eat potatoes straight out of the ground and water straight out of the toilet. The high resiliency is gained at a loss of tech, resourcing/scavenging, low damage potential, and most trader benefits. The question is.. how important are those lost benefits? A strong early game, but mid?

All the attributes are good, depending on playstyle, but fortitude allows for mistakes and unlucky situations.

I mean:

Max Heavy Armor + Max Pain Tolerance + (the one that boosts med strength by 50%)…

I've wondered if you can defend yourself by breaking Molotov's over you head while chugging pain pills and anything else! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26095[/ATTACH]

Tested it. Works great! :D

Level gating will be an ever bigger pain in the ass than usual for this kind playthrough.

I'd probably go for perception. Looting good ranged weapons and making good use of them sounds like the safest bet in the long run.

Level gating shouldn't be much of an issue, there's a lot of depth in the trees to spend points. The exception is INT, which is the most stricken with high stat requirements, thus high level requirements. However, survive long enough, and you have the ability to craft anything you need, plus sole access to vehicles. Int goes from basically worthless for the first week or two, to probably being the most powerful in the late game with the ability to make anything you need yourself and having a day job with the trader.

The rules are simple:

Nomad Difficulty

Pick one attribute.

Only invest perk points in that ONE attribute. No, you can't cross over to INT for a forge.

You CAN use your access to the trader, vending machines, and non-destroyed workstations.

You CAN use consumables and wearables that affect attributes, like glasses, shades, or magazines.

Survive.

Lets see if these perk trees can hold weight. Reply with your experiences. :smile-new:

Thanks goodness your challenge has managed to increase early game tedium! I was having far too much fun. Just kidding, but no, I won;t be trying this out.

The biggest issue I see with this kind of challenge is that mobility is going to blow. If you go Agi you'll get cardio so you can still run places, but you won't be able to get any vehicles and your inventory space is going to suck. If you go Int you'll get vehicles eventually with their built in inventories. But every other attribute/class gets neither of those and will just be downright painful to play.

The rules are simple:

Nomad Difficulty

Pick one attribute.

Survive.

Strictly SP and will it be Dead is dead? (Look, I've been known to fall onto my own spikes at times...)

- - - Updated - - -

All the attributes are good, depending on playstyle, but fortitude allows for mistakes and unlucky situations.

I mean:

Max Heavy Armor + Max Pain Tolerance + (the one that boosts med strength by 50%)…

I've wondered if you can defend yourself by breaking Molotov's over you head while chugging pain pills and anything else! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26095[/ATTACH]

Tested it. Works great! :D

That is amazing.

So, I started the map for this challenge and chose agility. As I sit here, on day one in the dark, agonizing over my lack of carry without encumbrance space while listening to a wolf howl outside and randomly attack zombies, I suddenly realize that eggs are useless to me outside of selling them to the trader.

I cannot tell for sure if this is freedom from carrying around so much stuff, or a self designed purgatory.

That wolf sounds like it's getting awful close...

So, I started the map for this challenge and chose agility. As I sit here, on day one in the dark, agonizing over my lack of carry without encumbrance space while listening to a wolf howl outside and randomly attack zombies, I suddenly realize that eggs are useless to me outside of selling them to the trader.

I cannot tell for sure if this is freedom from carrying around so much stuff, or a self designed purgatory.

That wolf sounds like it's getting awful close...

Darkness should become your friend with the stealth and sneak speed perk. They'll practically have to bump into you to sense you. Stick with it, the INT nerds are calling you a wuss.

Archived