How do you all get the experimental to run without FPS drops?

Vomkat

Nah, I get 26fps on the low-end and 48 on the high-end on my laptop (modded for max performance). The reflections and sun effects are the biggest hog along with the resolution. Turn those down and you'll get a big boost, especially the resolution. Texture size doesn't seem to do much, the only difference between quarter and full sized is I gain FPS on full, but stutter occasionally on new chunks loading on the hog or 4x4.

I followed @Nugetti 's advice.

Looks like a DX11 renderer issue.

As a workaround, try using GLCore renderer from the launcher. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your 1060.

EDIT: Also, if your Ryzen has an integrated GPU, disable that. Then you might not have to switch to GLCore. (This also applies to anyone having this issue and has CPU integrated graphics, be it Intel or AMD)

EDIT 2: I also found this online, you go to NVIDIA control panel, make a profile for 7daystodie .exe file in the "Manage 3D settings" -> "Program settings" and put in the following:

Ambient Occlussion - OFF

Power Management Mode - Prefer Maximum Performance (apparently this is the key player here)

Threaded Optimization - ON

Triple Buffering - OFF

Vertical Sync - OFF

It worked wonders.

I ended up using the settings for NVIDIA without having to switch to GLcore.

"How do you all get the experimental to run without lag?"

Two answers:

1) Upgrade.

2) You don't.

Even some of the best rigs are suffering some slowdown, and fair enough it's Experimental but at some point it needs to be given a some optimisation before it's given the official Stable release (or at least I would very much hope so). As a dev I have full sympathy for anyone undertaking that as optimisation is a pain in the ass, but it really needs to be done.

I am going to be upgrading soon, but currently I am on a FX8320 and a GTX960 - which is dated, but can be surprisingly resilient even with some modern AAA titles. 7DtD? I have to have everything at low (and I do mean everything!), run a 1360x768 res and turn off my second monitor* just to be able to get it to run at a pace which allows me to take on the enemy. Get yourself into a large PoI with some ferals and the moment they are triggered I'm lucky to be running at more than 20 fps, normally less, which makes the game akin to unplayable.

I'm not dropping shade at TFP here, btw, but the 960 is the current bottleneck as even with those settings it's maxing out at 99% almost immediately and remains there (the 8-core FX is generally hitting 40-50% for most of the time). This same 960 copes happily with any number of other titles, at decent resolution and decent quality.

* I was a little surprised but, yeah, switching off the second monitor actually gave me an extra 4 or 5 FPS. *shrug*

Edit: Here is an 8 page thread about the specs people are using the results they are getting, it had fallen off the front page so you might have missed it: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?94285-Performance

I have a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card, i5 8600k cpu at 3.6 ghz, and 7dtd is on an ssd and I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel as Wigbert said and I'm getting a solid 80-90 fps at medium-high settings on 1600x900 res. Although, going into POIs definitely drops that and once I actually built a decent base and got all my chests, workstations, and traps up it brought the fps down considerably to something more like 50-60.

I have a gtx 1060 6gb graphics card, i5 8600k cpu at 3.6 ghz, and 7dtd is on an ssd and I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel as Wigbert said and I'm getting a solid 80-90 fps at medium-high settings on 1600x900 res. Although, going into POIs definitely drops that and once I actually built a decent base and got all my chests, workstations, and traps up it brought the fps down considerably to something more like 50-60.

I have a gtx 970 with 4GB DDR5 - AMD Phenom II X4(quad core) 820 2.80GHz --- I run 7DTD at 1080p every graphics setting turned all the way up.

Works flawlessly. So there there is that to take into consideration.

i7770k and GTX1070 at 1080p and the game runs totally smooth for me. I've had it hitch briefly maybe once. I have it set to ultra with motion blur turned off. I don't really watch the FPS because I don't care what it is when a game is running smooth and playing well.

I guess I don't get it. If you don't have a decent rig, you shouldn't expect decent performance. Kind of like logic 101.

I duo with my brother who has a i6770k and a lesser card and he has to dial the settings down quite a bit. That's how these things work.

I guess I don't get it. If you don't have a decent rig, you shouldn't expect decent performance. Kind of like logic 101.

There have been YouTubers with better setups than yours that have struggled with horde night(s) and/or lots of PoI ferals, so it's not a case of "well if you have a good rig it won't be an issue".

That's how these things work.

While that might not have been the intention, that's a touch condescending.

I have a (now) mid range PC, which was a top end when built, and I've been playing games and building systems for literally decades. While I am not so naive as to expect the game to run flawlessly on ageing tech, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect it to run fairly well. I am currently down to 1360 res, with almost everything turned off or down. That's a world away from just about every other comparable title. I appreciate 7DtD has never been the smoothest of games and that this is an experimental build so it's likely to be a while before it's sorted itself out, but suggesting "this is how things work" is a bit glib and ignores the fairly important issue of performance in this experimental.

Intereting bit. The linux version gives better and smoother FPS than the Windows one for me.

Same system, 1080 card. Same settings.

DX11 or GLCore, makes no diff. hrmm.

I would be surprised if the Linux version had the option of Dx rendering. I've not checked recently but previously that was proprietary tech that was Windows only.

have struggled with horde night(s) and/or lots of PoI ferals, so it's not a case of "well if you have a good rig it won't be an issue".

Good points. I have a pretty good/new setup and I use a dedicated server. I use 1600x900 when streaming and still get lag from horde nights and large POIs. It's just not 100% stable yet. It'll get there though.

It's just not 100% stable yet. It'll get there though.

Even when it gets to stable I expect it will remain a touch clunky. Certainly A16 did. Not that I am saying it won't improve.

It's THE most disappointing part of A17 to me.

It really is. It was one of my concerns when shifting to A17. It certainly looks a lot nicer but that's of little comfort when you have to play it in a postage stamp* resolution. Now I will be upgrading soon so hopefully this will be far less of an issue, but my one concern is that of all the updates applied to A16 absolutely none were performance dedicated and, assuming that trend continues, the only way FPS will be increased is by related issues being resolved/amended.

* For the millennials, a "postage stamp" was a sticky bit of paper you applied to a letter's** envelope in lieu of payment for delivery.

** For the millennials, a "letter" is like an email but it's printed out on paper, like a physical copy.

Archived