I LOVE Alpha 17

King_MoMo

I'm fairly new to the forum and I absolutely adore 7 days to die. There is a lot of things that I am noticing whilst browsing the discussions but the most prominent is that the fast majority of posts are focused on the negatives! Which i totally understand, its monumentally easier to talk about things you like than things you don't like.

So I have a vision...

What if I could post a thread dedicated entirely to a discussion focused on what we love about alpha 17! I would also like to spread some helpful ideas and things I think could use some improvement! (Whilst trying as hard as possible to not spread negativity :p)

What do I like about alpha 17? (In no particular order)

-The new perk system. The first thing i would like to say is that this system has made the game better than it has ever been before. Of course there are many improvements that I think could be made ie (lessening some of the perks to require fewer points to upgrade) but all in all its the best system for experience and skills that the game has ever had.

-Improved AI. A great step in the right direction, nothing makes me more happy than an AI that you can clearly see has had a lot of work put into it.

-Vehicles. I mean c'mon you can't say that you did't pee a little bit when Joel said that the gyro-copter would make it into A17! Now obviously there are numerous improvements that need to be made to vehicles, but I can't imagine how difficult it is to code that, so kudos to the Fun Pimps.

-Places of interest. Now it is undeniable that the POIs in 7 Days are really something special. I always get a tingle down my spine when I think about how much work was put into them. The new dungeon crawling aspect to the game has brought a lot of memorable times to looting which was quite boring in the past. I've had many moments where I just wanted to rage quit because I walked into a house and the floor fell in and i was greeted by 12 snakes, 5 bears, and a pack of dogs... And even if i managed to kill them all, there was still one lousy feral zombie hiding in a cabinet. HaHa! Really brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. So I'm saying it right now. Absolutely a job well done on the Fun Pimps part.

-Traders and quests. This is also another addition that really adds so much content and time consumption to the game. I think that with a bit more variety in the quests and more stuff to do when the bandits come in, this can be an amazing feature.

-Gun-play and attachments. All I can say about the attachment feature is.. I want more! I love the new attachment system and how you can color items and armor and how attachments can be put on anything from vehicles to armor to weapons and tools. The realm of possibility for attachments is endless! (muffling attachments for cars and power tools, the ability to color your vehicles, more scopes, short barrels, long barrels, just for a few examples)

Now for the short list of things that i would like to see changed (Note: I assume some of these things might even be changed in the near future when A17 is released as a stable version).

-Ways to gain experience. I found that gaining experience is extremely difficult to do in A17 except for one way killing zombies, And I for one am completely fine with that and i understand that zombies and killing them is one of the most important parts of the game. But what about the players that enjoy other parts of the game more? Like building, looting, mining, gathering, and farming? I think that those all should be viable options for gaining XP

-Progression. I found that there are a lot of adjustments to be made with the way that a player progresses. I for one spent so much time killing zombies that on my first horde night I was obliterated by feral wights and radiated cops because my gamestage was too high. Whereas someone who might have spent the whole of their first 7 days building their base might have found it too easy.

-Performance. I know this is quite a touchy subject and I know it is always being improved upon and worked on. I don't want to be the kind of person that constantly just says "upgrade your potato PC and maybe you wont have these issues" but I have quite a decent PC (8700K, GTX 1080, 32GB of RAM and several solid state drives to store everything on) and I still cant run the

game at its highest settings and be able to get anything over 60 FPS (A little side note, I am a frequent FPS gamer and I enjoy high frame-rates, so 60 frames is low for me but I'm spoiled rotten and am used to a 165hz refresh rate monitor). I know that performance is always something that is being worked on and i know that it is high priority for developers but all I am saying is that I think that it needs to be focused on sooner than later.

That's it! As a closing note I want to say that none of us would even be here if we didn't love the game at some point or another and I think that if development continues the way its going we are going to end up with one of the greatest games of all time. Great job to the fun pimps and thank you for giving me hours upon hours of fun filled zombie slaying.

I applaud your vision. But better make it "Say Something Nice or Don't Say Anything at All". The cons are a little too numerous and will ruin the thread.

So in that spirit.

I love the visuals, they have never been better and it feels great to just look around while you're playing. Very immersive and a great accomplishment.

edit: more that I love. Item permanence in your inventory and moving weapon repair to the front of the line in crafting. God those are nice changes.

I applaud your vision. But better make it "Say Something Nice or Don't Say Anything at All". The cons are a little too numerous and will ruin the thread.

So in that spirit.

I love the visuals, they have never been better and it feels great to just look around while you're playing. Very immersive and a great accomplishment.

Thanks for the advice! Duly Noted, I think i can remove the progression and experience gain. They are always being worked on and I'm sure the Pimps are adjusting them as we speak.

I pretty much agree with everything the OP said. Most fun I've had playing this game since A10.

I would like to see more reasons to loot. Now that quality has been hugely simplified and gun and tool parts and skill books are no longer a thing I don't get as much of a thrill from looting as I used to. I also miss having skills in addition to perks.

I trust TFP's vision though and look forward to further updates.

Yep. Been playing since before the game was on Steam. IMO this is the best iteration yet.

There's very little I'm iffy on and nothing I really dislike, while I really love the bulk of the changes.

I'd agree with LuckyStar on the fun, challenging and rethinking part too - all good - keeps things fresh and interesting.

I think some folks are resistant to change and that's the wrong mindset to have while playing any early access game.

Same! I've been playing with my boyfriend basically nonstop since a17 dropped. We've both had a really great time, and think the wait was well worth it. We play on Insane/64z, and we got rekt our first couple of saves through (mostly because we were experimenting with the perk system)

What we love (I think these are mostly repeats of what OP said):

* New perk system - feels like really awesome progression.

* Magazines/drugs - at first we were like wtf is this garbage, then when horde night came we realized that we needed to constantly pop recog to kill the radiated ferals/wights and conserve as much ammo as possible (since iron/lead are not as abundant as before). And also popping fort bites when things got spicy so we could facetank cop vomit/vultures. I actually dumped points in self medicated and went deep in the medical tree so I could make them -- when looting a POI with a high game stage, you know there's going to be a million ferals in there so popping fort bites will allow you to tank a bunch of hits.

* Vehicles - I think everyone has the same sentiment here

* Zombie AI - what OP said, plus the aggro radius for them is huge now, so when they 'smell' you it really feels like you're having "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments in one of those zombie apocalypse movies.

* Graphics - I think the first thing we both said was "holy ♥♥♥♥ look at those trees". And it just got better from there with all the lighting/POI improvements.

* Melee weapons - Nothing's more satisfying than beating zombies to a pulp.

What we wish could be better:

* Melee spec isn't really viable on horde nights - I dumped all my points in strength and couldn't bust out my sledgehammer once. Even if I wore heavy armor and popped fort bites, there's no way I could tank all the radiated ferals and cops that were out there (maybe I'm just being a sissy though -- if anyone has tried and succeeded face tanking on horde night please share your strat)

* The 'bleed-on-spawn' bug. I've read the bug reports of this, but man it really sucks dying then... dying again immediately after (especially when you keep your bandages on your hot bar)

* FPS drop in POIs -- It's not necessarily the FPS drop that annoys me, but more that I know when my FPS drops when looting a POI I know there's about to be a ♥♥♥♥ load of zombies. Kinda spoils the horror/jumpscare factor.

Edit: We also set the exp range distance to max, because whoever was base building wasn't getting enough experience purely from mining/chopping trees. So hopefully they'll make some adjustments to experience for people who want to base build.

I love the experience sharing with my party members.

I love that the zombies dig, jump, pyramid, and know how to path to you.

I love mostly lootless zombies and look forward to when they give less xp as well.

I love the bicycle.

I hate not playing 7 Days to Die

People generally vocalise when they do not like something, or they have an issue. In my line of work the happiest customers are the ones you never hear from :) I am not saying we should not encourage the developers, but sales of the game is what they are after, and in order to get more they need to address the negative points that are raised.

On a positive note....

New POI`s are really good

The Bike is great, but I think it could do with being available a bit sooner, or perhaps have bikes scattered around the map ( if they already are I have not found one )

Trader quests are a good mechanic, but they need to be flashed out more

People generally vocalise when they do not like something, or they have an issue. In my line of work the happiest customers are the ones you never hear from :) I am not saying we should not encourage the developers, but sales of the game is what they are after, and in order to get more they need to address the negative points that are raised.

On a positive note....

New POI`s are really good

The Bike is great, but I think it could do with being available a bit sooner, or perhaps have bikes scattered around the map ( if they already are I have not found one )

Trader quests are a good mechanic, but they need to be flashed out more

I generally hate to mod stuff to make things easier, but the bicycle.. I may change the level requirement to get it sooner. It seems like its not very usefull for a long time at its current availability.

Same! I've been playing with my boyfriend basically nonstop since a17 dropped. We've both had a really great time, and think the wait was well worth it. We play on Insane/64z, and we got rekt our first couple of saves through (mostly because we were experimenting with the perk system)

What we love (I think these are mostly repeats of what OP said):

* New perk system - feels like really awesome progression.

* Magazines/drugs - at first we were like wtf is this garbage, then when horde night came we realized that we needed to constantly pop recog to kill the radiated ferals/wights and conserve as much ammo as possible (since iron/lead are not as abundant as before). And also popping fort bites when things got spicy so we could facetank cop vomit/vultures. I actually dumped points in self medicated and went deep in the medical tree so I could make them -- when looting a POI with a high game stage, you know there's going to be a million ferals in there so popping fort bites will allow you to tank a bunch of hits.

* Vehicles - I think everyone has the same sentiment here

* Zombie AI - what OP said, plus the aggro radius for them is huge now, so when they 'smell' you it really feels like you're having "oh ♥♥♥♥" moments in one of those zombie apocalypse movies.

* Graphics - I think the first thing we both said was "holy ♥♥♥♥ look at those trees". And it just got better from there with all the lighting/POI improvements.

* Melee weapons - Nothing's more satisfying than beating zombies to a pulp.

What we wish could be better:

* Melee spec isn't really viable on horde nights - I dumped all my points in strength and couldn't bust out my sledgehammer once. Even if I wore heavy armor and popped fort bites, there's no way I could tank all the radiated ferals and cops that were out there (maybe I'm just being a sissy though -- if anyone has tried and succeeded face tanking on horde night please share your strat)

* The 'bleed-on-spawn' bug. I've read the bug reports of this, but man it really sucks dying then... dying again immediately after (especially when you keep your bandages on your hot bar)

* FPS drop in POIs -- It's not necessarily the FPS drop that annoys me, but more that I know when my FPS drops when looting a POI I know there's about to be a ♥♥♥♥ load of zombies. Kinda spoils the horror/jumpscare factor.

Edit: We also set the exp range distance to max, because whoever was base building wasn't getting enough experience purely from mining/chopping trees. So hopefully they'll make some adjustments to experience for people who want to base build.

I agree entirely! I didn't really even think about the melee on horde night, I suppose I only use ranged weapons on horde night.

PS- i wish i could get my fiance to play it with me, but she's just too scared XD

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I generally hate to mod stuff to make things easier, but the bicycle.. I may change the level requirement to get it sooner. It seems like its not very usefull for a long time at its current availability.

Yeah I agree as well, maybe they could make the bicycle easier to get and maybe have the level requirement lower. But at the same time, they could make it so that it goes slower according to your player speed (like if you have a full steel suit of armor the bike will go slower)

Archived