Game Is Too Damn Dark (or, Who Turned the Lights Off?)

sadpickle

Full disclosure, I have dropped my gamma a notch (10%) because the game looks terrible at default gamma.

At certain times of day the current lighting engine makes the outdoors ridiculously dark. The darkest part of night should be the middle, not at sundown and sunrise. It's particularly terrible at dawn.

20181204213939_1.thumb.jpg.31a514e959fae5d31687b7ff5ba7a796.jpg

The ground is a featureless void in the forest biome.

Not ideal!

20181204213937_1.thumb.jpg.18b86760b85643c7d9494f972f7f4ca8.jpg

Full disclosure, I have dropped my gamma a notch (10%) because the game looks terrible at default gamma.

At certain times of day the current lighting engine makes the outdoors ridiculously dark. The darkest part of night should be the middle, not at sundown and sunrise. It's particularly terrible at dawn.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26018[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26019[/ATTACH]

The ground is a featureless void in the forest biome.

Not ideal!

I've had issues with shadowed areas in a17 as well. It can be very bright out and in these areas you can still see nothing at all, not even things moving. I have had to turn my gamma down some to help with washed out colors, but that makes this worse. If I turn up the gamma, then the world looks like it's been slightly bleached. :/

If it helps devs any, I'm using an AMD video card with drivers from some time this year (I'm not at home so I have no idea exactly which driver version). Perhaps seeing if this is an issue with both AMD and nVidia would help?

Mine at 6am already has the light of a thousand suns across the sky. The shadows retain detail even at very low gamma.

Maybe this variation is an issue with how gamma settings interact between drivers, windows, and the game? Can the game override external settings? Could it be something to do with colour space?

I'm also AMD fwiw.

I like it. I don't know why but in previous alphas I was always able to see no problem in the night... Now it actually feels like its nighttime! Either get a torch or be blind!

I don't mind it so much at night, but this is daytime that I'm having these issues. I should be able to see something moving in the shade of a tree mid-day, but unless I turn the gamma up some, I can't. It's odd to see it, but it's probably just some lighting tweak in the 2018 Unity that hasn't quite been nailed by the team yet.

At default, everything is atrociously dark for me, even in full daylight. I've had to kick my gamma up several notches just to see the inside of my own base just to see which cabinet i'm interacting with. Forget about night, I can't see zombies across my back yard at noon if I didn't crank it up.

20181128010348_1.thumb.jpg.95291fa192e16f8698cec506c6c0d9de.jpg

This is with the gamma up 3 notches, and I can still lose zombies in the shadows in the daytime. When those candles go out on horde night, you can't even see the spike pits or the ground to use anything other than molotovs.

I gave up trying to fight it and just keep my gamma at ~80% and the game stays much more fun. BM horde nights continue to be hellishly dark to the point where that's not enough for me to get a bead on anything that doesn't glow.

Considering I just got off playing RDR2 and it had massive attention to detail to everything except crippling night-blindness, I don't feel bad giving 7DTD's gamma setting the middle finger for trying to waste my time and just tune it up to where I can see comfortably at night and just enjoy the game.

Oh no, you can't mess with the gamma slider! Didn't you listen what TFP said about the FOV slider:

You don't know what you are doing!

After all, the game looks identical on every computer at default settings, right? No matter if you are using a 21:9 monitor with backlight pulsing or a 20 year old 4:3.

Now they are going to remove the gamma slider too and we will be playing with black screens at 20 degrees FOV. ^^

Edit: Wait, I totally missed the grand plan here: If you can't see anything on your screen... you can't get motion sickness from the missing FOV slider!

Archived