Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

Roughly 15% of the servers that are listed are hosted from Linux. Of course 64 bit is supported. Officially supported: Debian based systems.

Thank you Alloc. I assumed quite a few were hosted that way, just haven’t attempted to run one in Linux. Guess I better “bone up” on some Linux command line stuff.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Alloc

Just wanted to say thanks for your scripts and information i got my Linux server up and running in no time... And anyone that's wondering for me my Linux server is running better then my windows server did. I do have one question can you recommend a Server manger program kinda like rat or server manager for linux?

Would you consider updating the scripts to allow different instances to use different engine code? I ask because I run modded servers, and if I want to run two servers running two different mods I don't see a way to do that with the scripts currently as all instances use the same files from the engine directory. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if the game supports to select the mods that should be enabled on a per instance base (probably from serverconfig) there's no need to have different engine folders. You'd just have one and specify which mods to load on each instance.

• 2 months later...

Not sure this is the best place to post this question but I have posted as recent as a couple of months ago in this thread.

My questions are regarding Linux dedicated servers. Specifically, I installed a test server using https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/sdtdserver/ and as far as the server goes its running very well. Now, the issues I have is that on Windows installations there is usually a folder named Saves and obviously this is where saves are located and I have found that is typically where the server admin.xml is located. I have tried to get admin to function by locating the .xml in various locations and also saves still seem to write elsewhere.

I confess I am a bit rusty with Linux especially since its been awhile. I had no issue with running a Linux version on my home computer and everything worked. I am at a loss and hope someone wiser could share some enlightenment. I am brushing up on 16.4 again off and on until the next update.

After I post, its always after I post... I finally located where this stores the saves and admin file. A mod could delete this as It has been resolved. I think.

Edited by BB_Drifter (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, i just installed the server on my Linux VPS. I start the server, join the game and i get an error "Could not retrieve server information." And then the server closes. Debian 8 and Cent os 7 (thats what i currently have). Could someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
Trying to set up an alpha 17 dedicated server. I saw the change log says the scripts were updated for it on the 16th. However, the updatescripts command is not pulling down anything new. It appears to be downloading version 110 from last August.

Am I doing something wrong?

You need to add "++experimental" after updateengine if you're running allocs cmds.

Although, it appears the linux dedi is broken. I can't connect to it anymore. Just get server is still initializing msg. Logs look as if the server started fine and is kicking me. also, outside ip peeps can't even reach the server now. Did ports change?

Edited by Zilla (see edit history)

I grabbed the updated engine and server fixes, made a new instance, started i tup, and the log shows it crashing immediately in mono for an unhandled NULL exception. Probably need to wait a bit for both the 7d2d A17 itself and maybe Alloc's fixes to stabilize a bit before a dedicated linux server will be an option :(

I grabbed the updated engine and server fixes, made a new instance, started i tup, and the log shows it crashing immediately in mono for an unhandled NULL exception. Probably need to wait a bit for both the 7d2d A17 itself and maybe Alloc's fixes to stabilize a bit before a dedicated linux server will be an option :(

mine didnt crash immediately it got to the end then this:

2018-11-19T18:38:38 13.476 INF Started thread ChunkCalc

2018-11-19T18:38:38 13.476 INF Started thread ChunkRegeneration

2018-11-19T18:38:38 13.581 INF World.Load: Random Gen

2018-11-19T18:38:38 13.583 INF Loading base world file header...

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at World.LoadWorld (System.String _sWorldName, Boolean _fixedSizeCC) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager+<createWorld>c__Iterator7.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Mine shows as running just stuck at initializing.

Trying to set up an alpha 17 dedicated server. I saw the change log says the scripts were updated for it on the 16th. However, the updatescripts command is not pulling down anything new. It appears to be downloading version 110 from last August.

Am I doing something wrong?

Scripts weren't updated yet. You were probably looking at the server mod.

Scripts will work for the most part, but the serverconfig editor isn't updated to work with the new settings yet.

You need to add "++experimental" after updateengine if you're running allocs cmds.

--, not ++

Log? Sounds like a generic issue though so might better go to the bug report thread.

at World.LoadWorld (System.String _sWorldName, Boolean _fixedSizeCC) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at GameManager+<createWorld>c__Iterator7.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Wrong world, there's no "Random Gen".

Hi.

Iam getting endless lines of this ever since server started:

2018-11-20T15:00:14 17032.761 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Connection established.

2018-11-20T15:02:15 17152.788 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Disconnected.

2018-11-20T15:04:15 17272.907 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Connection established.

2018-11-20T15:06:15 17392.932 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Disconnected.

2018-11-20T15:08:15 17513.052 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Connection established.

2018-11-20T15:10:15 17633.077 INF [EAC] Log: [EAC Server] [info] [Cerberus] [backend] Disconnected.

Anyone knows whats this about?

Found path: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer.x86_64

Mono path[0] = '/home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer_Data/Managed'

Mono config path = '/home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDieServer_Data/Mono/etc'

Receiving unhandled NULL exception

#0 0x007ffc2c52d5c0 in funlockfile

#1 0x007ffc2c52db80 in mono_shared_area

#2 0x007ffc2c52dc40 in mono_perfcounters_init

#3 0x007ffc2c52dc50 in mono_debugger_check_runtime_version

#4 0x007ffc2c52dcc0 in mono_print_method_from_ip

#5 0x007ffc2c52dd10 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#6 0x007ffc2c52de60 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#7 0x007ffc2c52df10 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

Receiving unhandled NULL exception

#0 0x007ffc2c528680 in funlockfile

#1 0x007ffc2c528c40 in mono_string_hash

#2 0x007ffc2c528c70 in mono_jit_info_table_find

#3 0x007ffc2c528cd0 in mono_pmip

#4 0x007ffc2c528d20 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#5 0x007ffc2c52d550 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#6 0x007ffc2c52d560 in mono_amd64_throw_exception

#7 0x007ffc2c52d590 in mono_print_method_from_ip

#8 0x007ffc2c52d5c0 in funlockfile

#9 0x007ffc2c52db80 in mono_shared_area

#10 0x007ffc2c52dc40 in mono_perfcounters_init

#11 0x007ffc2c52dc50 in mono_debugger_check_runtime_version

#12 0x007ffc2c52dcc0 in mono_print_method_from_ip

#13 0x007ffc2c52dd10 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#14 0x007ffc2c52de60 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

#15 0x007ffc2c52df10 in operator new[](unsigned long, std::nothrow_t const&)

I'll post in the bug report thread as it does seem a more generic issue.

Generating a 16x16 km map on my dedicated Ubuntu server results in 16 GB of Ram filled up (my whole Ram) and then the process stops:

2018-11-20T19:38:47 3649.208 INF WorldGenerator:Exporting Generated Data: Writing Heightmap to file 92%
2018-11-20T19:38:49 3651.208 INF WorldGenerator:Exporting Generated Data: Writing Heightmap to file 94%
2018-11-20T19:38:51 3653.208 INF WorldGenerator:Exporting Generated Data: Writing Heightmap to file 96%
2018-11-20T19:38:53 3655.208 INF WorldGenerator:Exporting Generated Data: Writing Heightmap to file 98%
OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory
 at (wrapper managed-to-native) object:__icall_wrapper_mono_array_new_specific (intptr,int)
 at VacuumShaders.TextureExtensions.TGA.EncodeToTGA (UnityEngine.Texture2D _texture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at Utils.SaveTextureAsTGA (UnityEngine.Texture2D _texture, System.String _fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
 at WorldGenerationEngine.GenerationManager+<ExportGeneratedWorldData>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutineManaged2(IEnumerator)
UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
WorldGenerationEngine.GenerationManager:<onFinish>m__0(TaskInfo)
ThreadManager:UpdateMainThreadTasks()
GameManager:gmUpdate()
GameManager:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Guess we have to wait until the tools are adapted for such large maps.

Reminder: This is not a 7 Days To Die bug report thread.

This is only about my Linux server management scripts.

I was not sure if it is a bug, a RWG bug or just my oversized expectation to get Linux dedicated server running (and generating) such a large map. So not really a bug report (yet), just an information.

PS: And i dont know which type of bug that would be :)

Edited by Sam_Neill (see edit history)

I had the same problem but i got it to work with some adjustments. Open the config.xml of the instance and change the following:

1) change <property name="GameMode" value="GameModeSurvivalMP"/> into <property name="GameMode" value="GameModeSurvival"/>

2) change <property name="GameWorld" value="Random Gen"/> into <property name="GameWorld" value="RWG"/>

3) change <property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value="SteamNetworking"/> into <property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value=""/> (you need SteamNetworking at least if you have set a passwrod for your server

4) add line <property name="PartySharedKillRange" value="100"/>

5) add line <property name="ServerVisibility" value="2"/> (2 means public, 1 only shown to friends, 0 not listed)

6) add line <property name="WorldGenSeed" value="yourSeed"/>

After that the server started, created the map and i was able to join.

Dunno about the MapRendering thing.

I had the same problem but i got it to work with some adjustments. Open the config.xml of the instance and change the following:

Yeah, the instance editor isn't updated yet so needs manual fixes to the config when you use it.

3) change <property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value="SteamNetworking"/> into <property name="ServerDisabledNetworkProtocols" value=""/> (you need SteamNetworking at least if you have set a passwrod for your server

Hm, password should not affect using LiteNetLib. Our testers have been doing this for months. Can you disable SteamNetworking again and create a bug report with a log from both client and server after failed login with password?

I'll be waiting with bated breath for the update to the scripts! I am not all that familiar with steam cmd and I have been pretty spoiled by these in the past.

I love these scripts by the way! Fantastic work!

And you can already use the old ones with the new release, just have to fix the config.xml according to Mornus' post above whenever you used the instance editor from the scripts.

The network protocols are what the game client is using to communicate with the server?

Is there a good/better/best type to use? I am totally lost on this part of the settings and just leave whatever is in place stock.

Thank you for all of your work on this! :) 7 Days to Die has been my favorite game for many years and running my own home server for myself and some friends to play on has been fun for quite some time now!

I am using the linux 7dtd server setup from here.. https://7dtd.illy.bz/wiki

When I use commands..

sudo 7dtd.sh updateengine --experimental

or

sudo 7dtd.sh updateengine --branch -beta

I just get told that the engine is on the newest build on the selected branch "latest_experimental" (local: 3321792, remote: 3321792) and won't seem to update. I have read the wiki extensively but there seems to be no documentation on these command variables.

Can anyone help me with the proper command line so I can update my server to the latest_experimental for A17?

Thanks!

Grampy