Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

I did some manual things first but I took care to remove everything before using the bootstrap. The only thing I didn't remove was the sdtd account itself. I don't think it would cause this.

EDIT: As Elendar said it would be nice to have a way to clean everything!

Edited by Ribesg (see edit history)

Quick summary of what you have to remove: Uninstall

There should not be any more to it.

I don't think that this might be related to your installation though. The only causes I could imagine:

- Wrong permissions on stuff in /home/sdtd (more precisely in the instances or engine folders)

- Defective 7dtd files (but as you both said you had a fresh install I doubt this is the case)

- Defective or too old save files

Will do a fresh install on Ubuntu 13.10 x64. Still don't think it should be related to the distribution or anything like that :(

Can you send me the config.xml of your instance? Don't forget to remove the passwords for server/telnet/web panel.

Thanks.

I just set up a clean Ubuntu 13.10 x64, ran the bootstrapper and created an instance, using the values you had in your config. Unfortunately (cause I cannot check on the problem myself) it started without any problems after that.

Right now I'm kinda out of ideas :(

root@ribesg:~# locale
LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

@Ribesg: Looks like it indeed is a problem with your locale. I.e. some string parsing function seems to fail because it uses a French interpretation of something that just isn't stored the way you would in French. Judging from the errors it's about parsing doubles.

Please try the following: Open /usr/local/lib/7dtd/commands/start.sh in an editor. Go to line 34 which should be:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$SDTD_BASE/linux_files $SSD --start $SSD_PID $SSD_DAEMON $SSD_USER --chdir $SDTD_BASE/engine --exec $SDTD_BASE/engine/7DaysToDie.x86 -- $OPTS > $(getInstancePath $1)/stdout.log 2>&1

Add "LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8 LC_ALL=C.UTF-8" so it looks like:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$SDTD_BASE/linux_files LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C.UTF-8 LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 $SSD --start $SSD_PID $SSD_DAEMON $SSD_USER --chdir $SDTD_BASE/engine --exec $SDTD_BASE/engine/7DaysToDie.x86 -- $OPTS > $(getInstancePath $1)/stdout.log 2>&1

And start the instance again.

Glad it works. Will add this soon, though I'll have to make sure that the selected locale does actually exist on the system ;)

@Elendar:

Thought something like this was the culprit. Wonder though why it does work with German locales, as we do have the same decimal notation o.O

surprisingly i got it working on ubuntu 12 just fine with no problems.. well except from this error during the install

App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 99.95 (1939972401 / 1941020977)

App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 100.00 (735244128 / 735244128)

Success! App '251570' fully installed.

/home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux/build/src/clientdll/../common/singleprocesspipe_linux.cpp (146) : Assertion Failed: false

/home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux/build/src/clientdll/../common/singleprocesspipe_linux.cpp (153) : Assertion Failed: CSingleProcessPipe::BWrite errno=22

=============================================================

but performance was terrible, certainly not something you can run with other gameservers on the same machine as it just chews up the cpu, worst than java minecraft servers.

suffice to say i hope they get a proper linux dedicated server out soon, then I can try again.

though might try setting this up again on another machine where it can't effect other servers

- - - Updated - - -

also does the steam account need to have 7dtd to get the files? so i dont' have to use my own account next time i try setting up a server?????

well except from this error during the install

Those are "normal". They appear on some systems, do not know the exact reasons but they also don't seem to matter anyway ;)

but performance was terrible

Hm, looks like it's somewhat different for everyone. At least there were reports it's running ok.

also does the steam account need to have 7dtd to get the files? so i dont' have to use my own account next time i try setting up a server?????

Unfortunately yes, the account has to own 7dtd. If not you would not even need to enter any account data at all ;)

This might change in the future if TFP release a server only build which could be downloaded with anonymous access but that's not for sure.

Regards,

Chris

"This might change in the future if TFP release a server only build which could be downloaded with anonymous access but that's not for sure."

yeh thats what i was thinking cus most steam server builds can be installed with anon access

hope they get proper dedicated servers builds out soon

so I tried running it again, and for about 5mins the cpu usage was totally fine, then it just spiked and used up all 4 cpu cores and never stopped, even stood still on the map for another 5mins with no zombies around.

Hm, wonder how it even could use so many cores as I would assume that most threads can't even be that CPU heavy (e.g. the Telnet thread, chunk saving). I gave my games VM only 2 cores anyway so I did not notice this before ;)

If you want to try to force it to a set of given cores only you could try to use taskset: http://xmodulo.com/2013/10/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html

Regards,

Chris

the only thing is that when it did spike to using all the 4 cpu cores, it was laggy as f#, totally fine when it wasn't though. Now when I try startup the server it just goes straight to using 4cores everytime. And its not like the dedicated server is doing anything else

So tried taskset, started an instance and did: taskset -cp 0,1 12652 , whcih seemed to be the main thread.

for about 30mins the server worked great, then it started lagging again, I checked htop to see this...

6ohUe3P.png

looks like a bunch of other threads got started and chewed up the cpu, doing what I don't know but sure would like to, because nothing was happening in game, so was fine for 30mins longer than before and then lagged for 5mins when those other threads with the higher pid value 14411+ got started.

Edited by Koolio (see edit history)