Native Linux server (with management scripts)

Alloc

I ended up installing the game manually to /home/sdtd/engine instead of using your scripts because of this reason, could that be a problem?

Erm, yeah, this would explain it ... you probably didn't use the dedicated server build then but the normal client build. That won't work ;)

But downloading the dedi build somewhere else and then upload it to engine will work.

Yeah I already noticed that, and switched those.

Still if I use a blank save (meaning none) it always creates a wasteland world.

Can't connect to my saved game, always tells me that I'm not logged in. :/

Still sounds weird ... logs?

AudioManager: Using Unknown: NoSound Driver

Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/libnoise.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/libnoise.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/SteamworksManaged.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/SteamworksManaged.dll into Unity Child Domain

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/NSpeex.dll (this message is harmless)

Loading /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/NSpeex.dll into Unity Child Domain

- Completed reload, in 0.045 seconds

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/System.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)

Platform assembly: /home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/Managed/Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)

The file '/home/sdtd/engine/7DaysToDie_Data/mainData' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!

[Position out of bounds! 931644 > 931640]

(Filename: Line: 273)

The class named 'Localization' is abstract. The script class can't be abstract!

(Filename: Line: 1633)

0.000 Version: Alpha 9.0 (b33) Compatibility Version: Alpha 9.0, OS: Windows 32 Bit

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

0.008 Last played version: Alpha 9.0

part of the output log did force update and new instance

What a day for an update to come out.

I just got the power supply and cooler I needed for my spare parts to get my testing server moved over to new hardware. So I was all excited to see how it performs. I had an intel 6 core 980x gulftown system that was just missing a few things and now it's all loaded up and running.

I'm so eager to see how it performs.

Danke Alloc für dieses tolle Server-Tool. Benutze es zwar erst seid 9.0 doch lنuft es prima und auch die erklنrungen in deinem Wiki sind gut.

Aprobs 9.1 lنuft mit den REV. 127 .dll Datein auch wieder.

What app id do I use to install the dedicate version of the game?

Danke Alloc für dieses tolle Server-Tool. Benutze es zwar erst seid 9.0 doch lنuft es prima und auch die erklنrungen in deinem Wiki sind gut.

Freut mich immer das zu hِren :)

Hi!

I have the Linux server running on a machine at home, and it's working fine. I did however try to get this up and running on a Google Compute Engine, but my client gets stuck at "Waiting for server...". I've opened UDP ports 25000-25003 and in the 27xxx range. I can see it in the server list. I had this problem with the Alpha 8.8 too, when I last tried it a couple of weeks ago, so it's not something specific to Alpha 9.1.

In the server logs I can see that I can connect at least, because it says "GMSG: jomomomo joined the game". When running "7dtd.sh status MyInstance" it says "0 players" however.

I've tried the "Disable NAT" setting as both true and false. I guess it's some network setting I've missed, or something Google is blocking, but I really don't know what to try next.

Any ideas?

So I've been trying to restart my instance periodically using systemd timers in arch linux. I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'm overlooking though.

I put a restart script in /usr/local/lib/7dtd/ called restart<instancename>.sh which consists of the following.

#!/bin/bash

. /usr/local/lib/7dtd/common.sh

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server will restart in 5 minutes"

sleep 60

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server will restart in 4 minutes"

sleep 60

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server will restart in 3 minutes"

sleep 60

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server will restart in 2 minutes"

sleep 60

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server will restart in 1 minutes"

sleep 60

telnetCommand <instancename> "say Server going down for restart now!"

sleep 10

/usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh kill <instancename>

sleep 20

/usr/local/bin/7dtd.sh start <instancename>

If I run this script from bash it works fine, however, when I invoke it with systemd.timers it all runs, but the server simply doesn't start back up, even though it reports success in the systemd unit.

this is the unit itself which ive been invoking on a timer.

[unit]

Description=Restart game server.

[service]

Type=oneshot

ExecStart=/usr/local/lib/7dtd/restart<instancename>.sh

It runs, the server shuts down, it reports success and shows successful output in the status log for the unit, but the server just isn't running after. Yet if I run the script myself from bash it works perfectly.

I'm not an expert with systemd but any idea what it is I'm missing?

Edited by FeistyLemur (see edit history)

Haven't worked with systemd myself either. But for generic debugging purposes: Did you check if there were new logs after that unit was run? E.g. stdout.log updated, output_log.txt updated? If so what's the content?

Haven't worked with systemd myself either. But for generic debugging purposes: Did you check if there were new logs after that unit was run? E.g. stdout.log updated, output_log.txt updated? If so what's the content?

There are output logs at the time and they have a ton of errors about being unable to load the libraries from /home/sdtd/engine/

Presumably thats where the server fails to come back up? The script thinks the job is done and reports done! to systemd, I've even managed to get the instance to appear to be running I can even see my server on the browser but it fails to connect and then I go back to the terminal and check and now it's not running.

A bunch of these errors...

2014.08.25 18:33:45: Fallback handler could not load library /home/sdtd/engine/7 DaysToDie_Data/Mono/x86/SteamworksNative

2014.08.25 18:33:45: Fallback handler could not load library /home/sdtd/engine/7 DaysToDie_Data/Mono/x86/SteamworksNative

I'm pretty sure that was one of the start attempts I was making with the timer unit. I'll have to try again this evening to be sure I'm looking at the right log though, as there are quite a few of them in the folder.

I'm guessing it's some kind of issue with user and permission maybe? I tried adding user=root to the unit that starts the script but that was no help.

I did write a proper systemd start unit that works very well to start and stop an instance last night, so at least that much is working good now. I guess I'll play around with that more tonight if I can.

Alloc,

I found that if I issued: buff blah

the server spits back (repeatedly and unending), "Exception: Buff named 'blah' does not exist!'

Reconnected to telnet and the server is still spewing the error. I couldn't issue a shutdown so I had to kill the process.

Great package, by the way :)

MobiuS

With latest versions, in current_output.log, now receiving:

2014.08.27 10:47:58: [b]Error in Allocs telnetListenThread: Too many open files[/b]
2014.08.27 10:47:58: Stack Trace:   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Accept () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
2014.08.27 10:47:59: at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.AcceptTcpClient () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
2014.08.27 10:47:59: at AllocsNetTelnetServer.telnetListenThread () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

This has apparently been manifesting earlier as daemon crashes but without error messages (or lost) and now failing to start (on Debian, latest).

# 7dtd.sh status one
Instance: one

Open ports:
   25000 (udp)
   25001 (udp)
   25002 (udp)
   27036 (udp)
   37720 (tcp)
   8081 (tcp)
/usr/local/lib/7dtd/[b]common.sh: line 186:  5231 Killed[/b]                  nc 127.0.0.1 $TEL_PORT 0<&3
Players:

Game info:
   Server name:    One
   Password:
   Max players:    64
   World:          Random Gen

Network info:
   Port:           25000
   Public:         true
   Control Panel:  off
   Telnet:         Port 8081, Pass

Fix, insert/raise http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/85458 in /etc/security/limits.conf from default of 4096 with:

sdtd       hard     nofile     16384
sdtd       soft     nofile      8192

Note: Relogin required!

Diagnostics: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-procfs-file-descriptors.html

Edited by qriff
diagnostics (see edit history)

Heh, thanks for the detailed report (and even a fix to it :) ).

7dtd is doing some bad stuff, especially at startup when it opens lots of files. And in one of the server fixes releases I even increased that problem (I think that's the one still shipped with the scripts) ;)

I will release a new package in the next hours which hopefully also eliminates the problem for now.