Amount of mod slots in items

Kramarite

Can anyone confirm if the amount of mod slots in each item is random generated or what is going on? I know quality determines the amount of slots. However sometimes I'm getting/making quality 4 or above items that can't be modded at all. I just made a quality 5 steel pickaxe and it just has the 1 slot.

I'm fairly certain it's random, I got the steel perk unlocked and made a steel pick with 4 slots, a machete with 3 I think, and a fireaxe with no slots, along with a motorcycle with 4 or 5 I believe. Seems like a waste if this is intended because if you make something expensive like a vehicle and get no mod slots you're s*** out of luck so I hope it is a bug.

That's my experience as well. I do hope it's a bug. Or at the very least the more expensive items need to be excluded.

Maybe it could be used as a parallel line of quality for items. A perk or skill that allows you to increase mod slots in itmes?

I think it would make sense that the mod slots would simply increase with quality, like maybe a level 1 or 2 item has no slots, and the higher up it goes the more mod slots would be available. A relatively simple way to balance that if this was intended is to have it still be range, i.e. a tier 5 steel pick could have 3-5 mod slots whereas a tier 3 iron pick could have 1-3, or something to that effect.

I think it would make sense that the mod slots would simply increase with quality, like maybe a level 1 or 2 item has no slots, and the higher up it goes the more mod slots would be available. A relatively simple way to balance that if this was intended is to have it still be range, i.e. a tier 5 steel pick could have 3-5 mod slots whereas a tier 3 iron pick could have 1-3, or something to that effect.

Yeah, I like that solution. That way if you really have the need you can remake it but it'll always still be modable.

I guess seeing how you can melt the item back into the forge you don't completely loose out on a remake. It's not a quick process tho but it gives me something else to do at night haha.

I believe this is a bug in the crafting of items. If you start crafting something, and leave the menu (backpack, workstation), the item you are crafting won't be guaranteed have its intended number of mod slots, and may come out with less than intended or no mod slots. If you stay in the menu until the item is finished, it should have all its intended mod slots. Also, if you have invested points into faster crafting, and leave the menu while crafting, the time to craft will increase as if you didn't have the perk upgraded. So, until these bugs are fixed, you may want to watch your stuff finish crafting before exiting the backpack/workstation.

Archived