A17 Tiny RWG maps with invisible radiation zones surrounding them? Maps don't expand?

grizzlebizzle

A17 is mostly great and I am enjoying it... but are expanding maps not a thing any more? I started a RWG map on a dedicated server and I get radiation damage at only 1700 or so east and north. Invisible radiation zones that don't show on the map. If this is going to be the new thing (static map size) the default WorldGenSize needs to be massively increased. Cause RWG shouldn't be way, way smaller than Navezgane. The change really sucks in any case if they are really fixed size now. It seems random gen has been massively downgraded in A17 in general. I am seeing floating buildings that collapse when you touch them and all that again, and the roads and terrain seem to have reverted to about A14. I don't even remember RWG ever being fixed size, even years and years ago when random gen was flat with straight roads that went nowhere. But the worst part is this tiny map surrounded by radiation zones. I just don't get it.

Random Gen is not finished yet and does need a lot of work. I think 4K is the default, but you can go to 8K (or 16K if you go into advance options) but they take longer to generate and load. Invis radiation is a thing now. You don't feel the effects right away and they last after you leave the radiation area making it harder to find the actual line.

Ugh. I don't think 8k would even be big enough for a server. 16k is pretty much the minimum and is borderline. From the sounds of it it takes forever to connect if the map is large. I can get why they would take longer to generate... but why would a bigger map take longer for clients to connect? Surely they aren't loading the whole freaking map onto the client every time they connect? That sounds pretty broken. Clearly the client should only be loading the area around the player, not the whole thing. I really wish we could just get A16.4 back for random gen - I see no improvements at all in the new system, other than what seems to be a higher density of traders.

I don't know - maybe they were just a lot bigger - but I would go many kilometers exploring old RWG maps and never ran into an edge. I was digging A17 on navezgane until our map seemingly got corrupted, but knowing exactly where everything is makes that map kind of boring so I was hoping to go back to RWG. That doesn't really seem like an option any more.

Until RWG and the Rad border are fixed. A partial solution

1 create a random world your size choice.

2 use image editor a good free one is krita

3 for to the worlds folder under your steam worlds your world name folder open the radiation image and the dtm.tga file

4 in radiation the red border is the radiation zone mke it a thinner square th color to use is 255,0,0 use paint bucket.

5 then go to tga.dtm male a square outline the same thickness as in the radiation file, and paint it either 3,3,3 or 249,249,249. one creates a ledge, the other creates a wall neither can be missed.

Then rename/delete the dtm.raw and start game that file will be recreated.

This should help til Tfp does adjustments

I don't believe random gen maps ever "expanded" as you put it, nor were infinite as I think you mean.

They were however bigger in the past, but they were always a fixed size iirc.

Actually there was a time where they were infinite. Good times. Got bored of the game at day 28? Well let´s see how far we can go in one week. And things like that.

Right now RWG is a joke. Can´t wait to get the real random back.

Archived