7 days 2 die is now a shooter game.

Noompsie

So it was at least somewhat dark, you had level 5 stealth perks, zombies had no line of sight but were still actively following you as you moved around?

That is the situation you are describing and I find that hard to believe.

So it was at least somewhat dark, you had level 5 stealth perks, zombies had no line of sight but were still actively following you as you moved around?

Why would I lie about it. I was just as confused by it as you seem to be. There is a post in this thread somewhere, which mentions other incidents of the same nature. I am not here to hate on 7 days 2 die, no reason to not be truthful.

Just to clarify, it was fully dark, no lighting at all, and no i did not have level 5 stealth perks. I mentioned that it was only day 1 so no points had been put into stealth yet. and I was not moving around at all. When I hunkered down for the night all zombies had been disposed of. This was a wandering horde, and they knew where I was.

Yep, another FPS.

Survial is even more of a joke this alpha. Weather effects? Where? I can ran at rain, sun, daytime, nighttime and don´t need anything to keep my temperature. Desert and Snow are quite tough in week one but that´s it.

Basebuilding got smashed into oblivion.

You get guns and ammo everywhere from day one on.

XP favor fighting (let´s see if something happens here, if not it´s clear they want a FPS and not a genremmix)

Gamedesign is heavily into fighting with the new kind of POI and the traderquestes. (You can´t stealth a POI for a quest)

And guess what kind of challenge the bandits gonna be? Yes, ofc it will be gunfights.

You still can do all the same stuff.

Just need to adjust your defenses and use materials like wood and cobblestone first.

Wow. Pro tip. And i thought i have to build my base with reinforced concrete from the first day. Duh. Ofc it´s wood/cobblestone at start, like it always was.

You still can do all the same stuff.

Just need to adjust your defenses and use materials like wood and cobblestone first.

of course I am aware that you can still build in A17. But as I said in my original post:

"I used to build a surface fort and sniper tower, connected to a bedrock base for all my crafting and storage, because I absolutely enjoy the building aspect of the game. Pimping it out was a massive and very enjoyable task for me. I wont do that any more because zombies will demolish my above ground base and dig me out of my underground base in one horde night. No point in putting in the hours and hours real time involved just to have it all trashed in 15 minutes."

Game certainly got more boring. And OP is not even at the problem point yet!!

Around level 100 (which was day 30 for me), you will have everything. Every vehicle, every gun at top tier and full of mods. All armour top tier and full of mods. All combat perks maxed. AT this point there really is NOTHING you need. You will only need to leave your base for Glue and Gunpowder and other basics like that.Exploring and looting are pointless. Traders are pointless other than for buying basics.

THIS IS APPAULLING.

So early in the game. And much earlier than this would ever happen in previous alphas.

because I absolutely enjoy the building aspect of the game. Pimping it out was a massive and very enjoyable task for me.

I wont do that any more because zombies will demolish my above ground base and dig me out of my underground base in one horde night. No point in putting in the hours and hours real time involved just to have it all trashed in 15 minutes.

You can easily use (abuse) the new Horde AI.

I dont know the english names of the traps becouse of the localisation.

Just massive spikes around the base isnt useful anymore.

Show them an easy way to get to you and place traps in there.

A 1 block wide doorway covered with spike shooting traps ... defense done :fat:

There are a few perks and levelups to master for electricity, right.

People must be playing 2 different builds I swear. Experience varies so wildly that my own.

Zombies do not completely destroy my day 7 horde base, they never even make it to the walls. Wood spikes and barb wire are still a thing and still easily creatable in mass quantities by day 7. Do people not line their bases with spikes and barb wire in multiple layers while they pew pew at them from the safety of their base? I only had to dodge cop puke and my little roof kept the buzzards at bay. Horde night was over before I knew it and I only had to replace 3 wood spikes as they all just beelined towards the first one that got damaged in a conga line.

Place barbwire---->Place spikes---->Place barbwire----->Place spikes-----Place barbwire---->Place spikes. Do that eight times in a square around your base, which I like to have 4 wall thickness of the strongest material I can afford by day 7 which is usually only wood with some iron reinforcements on the bottom. Dig a shallow tunnel from the center of your base out a ways past the barb wire walls then make an escape hatch at the other end of the tunnel so you can go in and out and the zombies won't beeline a door, because you don't have a door.

Fortify the area around the escape hatch by building a little closet around it just in case they see the hatch and hammer it, which I've never seen them do because...I built some walls and a door around it.

Anyway, this isn't tricky or hard to do or exploiting anything it's legit just dry as bone old school barb wire and wood spikes around some thick walls and the horde doesn't even get close. Are you guys playing on "insane" difficulty or something? The one's having issues with the horde just "demolishing" your bases? I stand on a ledge on my base and snipe all the zombies with arrows for the faceless masses and bullets for the big boys. There's literally no danger at all to my base in this build and it's completely just your bare bones basic wood and iron stuff you get by day 7.

Now maybe I've gone nuts but I swear I'm playing the same build as you guys and I'm not some pro gamer or anything and I have my own quirks with the game but having them chew up my base isn't one of them. Take a day, chop some trees for wood for the spikes and wrench some cars for the iron and make barbwire and spikes and sit back and sip beer while they futilely try to even get to your walls. It's not a revolutionary idea or whatever and not much has changed as far as I can tell? Maybe on insane difficulty it's different but in that case and maybe I'm ignorant but I'd suggest lowering the difficulty if it's too hard, that's all I've got.

People must be playing 2 different builds I swear. Experience varies so wildly that my own.

Game stage ... If you level fast killing XP pinatas, your game stage is high. And take in account your base will be less strong because you spend more time killing zombies and spend less time building defenses.

If you are below a specific level, its ok. But at some moment you cross a line and the enemies going after your base are not your run of the mill zombies anymore.

Can you stealth 100% with heavy armor? How much stealth % while moving? Haven't tried.

I mostly wear heavy armors that I find and stealth works (cant remember exact numbers) but you will have to be extra careful and you aren't able to sneak up and whack the zombies on the heads with base HA. I'll be putting those fittings and other mods on my armor to test it more down the road. Just gotta remember that modless armor will make lots of noise and drain stamina quicker!

Can I just say, 1) not only is this still "alpha", but it's "experimental" and the dev diary is full of "known issue, we're looking into it" and 2) a 71-year-old grandmother who uses the verb phrase "to pimp out" is pretty awesome.

Can you please not parrot the tired 'this is alpha' defense,

1) this is far removed from alpha in any development methodology on the planet

2) everybody hear is already fully aware that the game is in early acess, repeating it over and over again isnt particularly helpful.

2) everybody hear is already fully aware that the game is in early acess, repeating it over and over again isnt particularly helpful.

And repeating other things over and over again is?

Relax man, its an early access alpha.

I agree with the OP. This feels more like Fallout now. The game is still fun and I am enjoying it but I always feel like there is something lacking. Its the building and the fun I had designing bases that were multiple tiers above and below ground. I know we can still do this and that the game is setup to just take longer getting to that point. Some of us just liked to use this game as a way to picture what a Zombie apocalypse, i.e. Walking Dead, would be like.

The problem is that building is pretty pointless. Hordes will just evaporate your base, especially on later nights. Constant night and day hordes at your base by day 40 or so means you can't really have 1 base, you have to migrate.

Zombie damage to blocks is too high. Like factor of 4 too high. I've made my base in the top of a skyscraper and it's fine - because I'm literally out of spawn range of zombies. In the end though how fun is that? It's a pretty narrow set of options and a lot of climbing to get too and from my stuff.

Base building needs to be a thing again. I love A17 but it's silly not to say that's the case.

As to POIs - be more careful. Don't just rush in anywhere. They absolutely do NOT spawn behind you; often they spawn up high and drop down. I've been clearing POIs with a fireaxe, it works great. You just have to be super cagey.

Relax man, its an early access alpha.

Quite true, but it's also an Alpha that it's in its 5th year of being in that state (it was released on Steam on 12/13/2013). Alpha 17 itself also just took over a year to release.

I started playing in 2014, and at this point I've concluded that this game may never be well balanced and polished.

On the bright side, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it, so I'm not complaining.

Zombies do not completely destroy my day 7 horde base, they never even make it to the walls. Wood spikes and barb wire are still a thing and still easily creatable in mass quantities by day 7. Do people not line their bases with spikes and barb wire in multiple layers while they pew pew at them from the safety of their base? I only had to dodge cop puke and my little roof kept the buzzards at bay. Horde night was over before I knew it and I only had to replace 3 wood spikes as they all just beelined towards the first one that got damaged in a conga line.

Place barbwire---->Place spikes---->Place barbwire----->Place spikes-----Place barbwire---->Place spikes.

This is pretty much exactly what I did. All was just fine. I basically parked on top of a hardware store and forced the horde to all come up the ladder. They hit the spikes and wire and just ground to shreds.

I don't really get the "OMG you can't build anymore!" complaints about a17, so far at least. You can build just fine, though you may not be able to just go and build exactly what you've always done. In general I'm finding that I'm doing a LOT more melee (me and my reinforced club, almost all my kills to date). But otherwise my gameplay style hasn't been damaged all that much.

The "OMG they dig!" thing is likewise way overblown IMO, though it's probably a bigger deal at higher levels. I wanted to test it for myself, because if you listen to the YouTubes, the impression is that they'll cut through that rock like butter and eat your face by 11pm. So I dug down to bedrock for the day 14 horde, GS around 60. By morning, they got about halfway there. They did damage, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed with cobblestone. Then again, I'm not spending all my time XP farming at the expense of my base planning.

It's obviously going to be more of an issue at higher levels, larger hordes, worse enemies, etc.. but by then I'll also have reinforced concrete, steel, better traps and other toys. I won't be hiding in a cave and hoping for the best.

The first advice I'd give anyone playing a17 is to not take the YT videos too seriously. Test the assumptions yourself. If all you're doing is recycling someone else's experiences, or even your own, of course you're going to get bored fast. You're not doing anything new.

I basically parked on top of a hardware store and forced the horde to all come up the ladder. They hit the spikes and wire and just ground to shreds.

I don't really get the "OMG you can't build anymore!" complaints about a17, so far at least. You can build just fine

That's not building, just sayin

Archived