7 days 2 die is now a shooter game.

Noompsie

So, I have been watching multiple youtubers play the game I love and what I am seeing is ramped up zombies with feral sprinkles. So I decided to plunge in for myself, but with dumbed down settings to the minimum and zombies never running, just to give myself time to get used to the game.

Found a nice high Barn and set up camp in it. Did my starter quest and found the trader. Did multiple fetch quests and clearing quests for him, at snails pace because....no stamina...but got it done. Got through night 7 easily up high in my barn and I am now at day 10. What to do now.

I have just realized how bored I am. I used to build a surface fort and sniper tower, connected to a bedrock base for all my crafting and storage, because I absolutely enjoy the building aspect of the game. Pimping it out was a massive and very enjoyable task for me. I wont do that any more because zombies will demolish my above ground base and dig me out of my underground base in one horde night. No point in putting in the hours and hours real time involved just to have it all trashed in 15 minutes.

I could do multiple quests for the trader, which by the way I enjoy, but they get old after a few days of same old same old.

The POI's look cool. Ive done a few and died to ferals and massive numbers of zombies pouring out of the rooms and spawning behind you, even with dumbed down settings. Not fun so.....no.

I used to enjoy waiting until the gun or tool shop reset so I could find and improve my weapons and tools. Making the quality of my guns higher by adding the better parts I could find, was a big incentive to get out and explore those shops frequently. Now, unless your looking for endless zombies to shoot, because these places are fullll of zombies and ferals, it just doesn't add anything to my level 1 guns except durability and mod slots. I have only found 1 mod so far and its gated behind a skill so....

I could kill zombies out in the open. Lots and Lots of zombies. A big shooting fest. It's fun for a bit. I have 400 kills on day 10 the most I could manage with no stamina. But then I used to do that in the previous Alpha and had the highest kill count on the server for quite a while. And that was while I was harvesting, building, and exploring.

This Alpha has taken away my ability to harvest and explore efficiently due to stamina issues. Base building is a thing of the past, a golden aspect of the game that kept me coming back for more. All it has left is killing zombies and after a while THAT GETS BORING.

My advice-

Stick around. Many of the things you brought up are issues that the devs are aware of as they continually balance things.

I hope so. I intend to stick around and watch what happens. I am not silly enough to bail out of a game I love because I'm not enjoying the experimental version. I'm not yet ready to throw away close to 4,000 hours in the game.

This Alpha has taken away my ability to harvest and explore efficiently due to stamina issues. Base building is a thing of the past, a golden aspect of the game that kept me coming back for more. All it has left is killing zombies and after a while THAT GETS BORING.

-No stamina issues here. I honestly don't understand why a lot of people seem to be having issues with stamina. Which perks did you get?

-Base building is certainly not a thing of the past and it has been proven in many threads here. You just can't expect starting to build a huge base or underground bunker from day 1 and have to use different tactics.

-Zombie xp will get lowered and action xp will be increased.

If you see it as a boring shooter game, that's your fault. I only use a gun in an emergency and either use a bow or melee, and I have no issues with stamina. I've built 3 sucessful non-cheese horde bases and all stood. I explore plenty, and spend occasional nights at base crafting and the day before horde night touching defenses - rest are out exploring and camping. *shrug* My gunplay only happens at horde nights, and I'm rocking a no-death 208 build run with 1k zombies killed. Not bashig your opinion on whats fun for you, but the game's by far a pure shooter game... and the game is a survival, zombie survival, open-world crafting tower defense game. It has all of that in it eh?

And with the right perks, I can use a steel pick in a dozen or more nodes before needing to rest. Food + red tea + coffee + beer are all options to keep going.

A shooter game is still a shooter game when you use a bow. I actually have yet to shoot a gun, although I do have plenty of them. I have always preferred a compound bow for killing and occasionally use a sniper rifle on hoard night, or to take long shots at animals. I also enjoy the melee combat system, using a reinforced club and sledgehammer for that.

I won't bash your opinion on what you love in the game either. And gratz on no deaths. I know its different strokes for different folks. But I just can't accept putting so much time into gathering materials and constructing a base that will be wiped out, especially an early game base. So I guess i'll just sit up in my barn and watch what happens as the tweaks come.

Guess you missed where i said I built 3 horde bases that all stood lol. Idk, going at it with that mentality will surely make you bored/salty about it. The game's advertised to survive the zombie hordes... you can't do that by asking them nicely and/or negotiating with them. And instead of using resources to build a base by the first week, slightly prepare a POI for the horde and keep saving resources. I never build by day 14, first two are in a poi while I build up for iron and concrete for a survival base. And no, it's not really a shooter game. If that's the case, all RPGs with characters that use a bow or staff that shoots fireballs or the like are shooters. Skyrim is a shooter too i guess. Shooters are your call of duties and such heh

Guess you missed where i said I built 3 horde bases that all stood lol. Idk, going at it with that mentality will surely make you bored/salty about it. The game's advertised to survive the zombie hordes... you can't do that by asking them nicely and/or negotiating with them. And instead of using resources to build a base by the first week, slightly prepare a POI for the horde and keep saving resources. I never build by day 14, first two are in a poi while I build up for iron and concrete for a survival base. And no, it's not really a shooter game. If that's the case, all RPGs with characters that use a bow or staff that shoots fireballs or the like are shooters. Skyrim is a shooter too i guess. Shooters are your call of duties and such heh

No. I didnt miss that part. You say you dont build by day 14. I always build immediately, its a big, possibly the biggest enjoyment i get in the game. As for taking over a POI I did that in my first game before I turned down my settings. I was crouched in a forge house, no lights turned on, all windows and doors plugged and boarded over, back staircase blocked off. Zero noise on my part. I was in fact watching a video on my second monitor while watching my game on my main monitor. They still honed in on me 100%, day 1, ripped out my back door and killed me. Completely hopeless.

As regards whether it's a shooter game sure it is. I could have used a gun, but find my bow does more damage. A rose by any name...right.

Oh and by the way, I am bored, but i'm not salty. Calling me salty will make me salty.

No. I didnt miss that part. You say you dont build by day 14. I always build immediately, its a big, possibly the biggest enjoyment i get in the game. As for taking over a POI I did that in my first game before I turned down my settings. I was crouched in a forge house, no lights turned on, all windows and doors plugged and boarded over, back staircase blocked off. Zero noise on my part. I was in fact watching a video on my second monitor while watching my game on my main monitor. They still honed in on me 100%, day 1, ripped out my back door and killed me. Completely hopeless.

As regards whether it's a shooter game sure it is. I could have used a gun, but find my bow does more damage. A rose by any name...right.

Oh and by the way, I am bored, but i'm not salty. Calling me salty will make me salty.

You see. It's your fault that you don't like the game. It's not the devs fault for changing things you enjoyed. /s

Idk, maybe youd enjoy creative mode with zombies turned off. Whats the point in having enemies in a game if they only combat you when you decide they are allowed to combat you? That's like raging in a call of duty game because people killed you while you wanted to enjoy the scenery and didnt proclaim you were ready to have combat. It's a survival game, not a leisure game with the option to decide when enemies will attack you...

And let me guess, your forge was on? And you had zero traps, and were in direct path of the doors. That's not survival, that's either not using your noggin to survive or you really just wanted to hang out in the game. If the second is true, turn off zombie spawning untill you decide to fight. The game is a zombie survival game with crafting/building/open-world, nowhere did it say "easy peaceful adventure until you decide zombies are allowed to attack you".

Idk, maybe youd enjoy creative mode with zombies turned off. Whats the point in having enemies in a game if they only combat you when you decide they are allowed to combat you? That's like raging in a call of duty game because people killed you while you wanted to enjoy the scenery and didnt proclaim you were ready to have combat. It's a survival game, not a leisure game with the option to decide when enemies will attack you...

And let me guess, your forge was on? And you had zero traps, and were in direct path of the doors. That's not survival, that's either not using your noggin to survive or you really just wanted to hang out in the game. If the second is true, turn off zombie spawning untill you decide to fight. The game is a zombie survival game with crafting/building/open-world, nowhere did it say "easy peaceful adventure until you decide zombies are allowed to attack you".

That really is insulting you know. creative mode without zombies phtttt. I didnt make a personal attack on you, so why are you so salty.

I dont play call of duty because its not my thing, and i admit i probably wouldnt be good enough to play it well. But i have played a LOT of 7 days to die and I have died very rarely. I do not believe there is anything wrong with tackling the zombies only when you have some protection set up to fall back to. Thats my playstyle and always has been.

And NO, the forge was not on. It had taken me all day to find a place for that night. The stairs were removed and blocked off. I had a loft built on the top floor. The sneak mechanism was not working as it should have.

You can say its not survival, that is your opinion. If you are a gung ho player good for you, but I am not. I am a cautious player who will not fight running zombies unless I am cornered. Does that make me a bad person, or a bad player. I believe not. I think it makes me a player who should be able to choose my style of play.

There was always room in this game for everyone no matter what the play style. I am really sorry if you don't like the way I prefer to play. I don't like the way you play, but I am quite happy for you to do it your way.

Salty? Lol I had a chuckle but no, you're the salt master here. You literally just complained about getting attacked by zombies, now you say you crave zombies but don't want to fight them unless you're cornered, and yet again, you complained about being cornered by zombies. That was a legit suggestion for you to turn zombies on when you feel like fighting them since it seems you just want to casually farm and build. There's the creative mode for that, or an option to turn on and off spawning at will. Having a mindset like you're portraying is an unhealthy way to live. I'm not a gung-ho player either, I am a survivalist and tactician in the game.

And if you took the stairs out, how did they bust through the door and kill you straight away again? And seriously, go take a bath and get rid of the salt. Idc how the hell you play and said nothing bad about it, but demanding zombies become passive cuddle-bunnies until one decides to aggravate them from a zombie survival game, with "die" in the name is rather silly. There's an option to disable them. You have died very rarely because the AI was completely broken and the system was not par. You could be beating one to death and it would attack a rock in front of it confused, you may have liked it but a majority of the players, nor the creators, liked it. Just calm down and enjoy it, embrace death and learn from it, becoming smarter and not making the same mistakes.

Don't let it get to you Noompsie.

I understand your frustration.

While I am enjoying A17, it's definitely changed the pace of the game.

Those of us who love building are now forced to make drastic changes to our strategies.

I much prefer to outsmart zombies with designs than just go head on.

[Maybe you're the same]

I also LOVE making huge builds.

Lots of us do.

Kind of hard to do that now.

I'm not saying we can't but that's certainly not early game stuff anymore.

You can always Mod, of course, but that's not everyone's thing.

I modded in some tools gated at level 100 that resemble A16 speed and I'm having more fun with them.

I don't care one tiny bit what others think. I just want to have fun.

Maybe, Noompsie, you might consider putting in some new tools for yourself or adjusting the existing ones.

There's no such thing as having fun wrong, despite what some will try to tell you.

If you want to build faster, Mod it in.

Cheers,

~ Lucky.

Exactly. Mod it in, creative mode, turn off spawning until youre ready, hell console commands to give yourself stuff or XP, creative menu... the game gives you options if you dont like the constant threat while trying to build and survive (which building is STILL there, I've built 3 going on 4 now that are sucessful with no trickle spawning modded in on horde nights), you just cant build the invincible cheese bases back in a16.

I agree with the emphasis now being placed on shooting, but the game is a much worse shooting game now.

1) They removed strafe sprinting, backpedaling, and force you to walk while reloading.

2) You used to be able to run for about a full minute. Now that's just about cut in half.

3) They added encumbrance.

4) They increased recoil and made it really awkward.

5) They changed the way you mount the gun to your face when zooming in, and it's not for the better. There's a weird whiplash movement when zooming with an AK that I can't figure out.

All of those things are absolutely, positively, terrible for a FPS. PVP encounters are now going to basically be duels. There won't be any hopping around, dodging behind boxes/buildings anymore. Everyone will just be slowly trudging around spraying or bursting at each other.

Edit - I just loaded up A16.4 to compare, and it was such a relief to be able to stretch your legs and move.

Salty? Lol I had a chuckle but no, you're the salt master here. You literally just complained about getting attacked by zombies, now you say you crave zombies but don't want to fight them unless you're cornered, and yet again, you complained about being cornered by zombies. That was a legit suggestion for you to turn zombies on when you feel like fighting them since it seems you just want to casually farm and build. There's the creative mode for that, or an option to turn on and off spawning at will. Having a mindset like you're portraying is an unhealthy way to live. I'm not a gung-ho player either, I am a survivalist and tactician in the game.

And if you took the stairs out, how did they bust through the door and kill you straight away again? And seriously, go take a bath and get rid of the salt. Idc how the hell you play and said nothing bad about it, but demanding zombies become passive cuddle-bunnies until one decides to aggravate them from a zombie survival game, with "die" in the name is rather silly. There's an option to disable them. You have died very rarely because the AI was completely broken and the system was not par. You could be beating one to death and it would attack a rock in front of it confused, you may have liked it but a majority of the players, nor the creators, liked it. Just calm down and enjoy it, embrace death and learn from it, becoming smarter and not making the same mistakes.

Lol. I got to the second paragraph and didn't bother reading any more. Its obvious to me that you are the Master Gamer with extraordinary gaming skillz and everyone else is just zombie fodder Read your own comments and you will see how insulting they are. and the back stairs were in but blocked. the whole object of my comment was that they FOUND me full stealth. nuff said.

No, none of that's true, you just keep changing your story - hinting you are in a salt rage and not thinking clearly. "I removed and blocked the stairs on a loft" "zombies busted through the door and killed me" so which is it? Now you said "oh well the stairs were there but blocked" Were you in an unreachable place or sitting in front of the door? What's "full stealth"? Because if your stealth meter was full, that means they know where you're at. Ive never seen zombies barrel through to you if you werent making noise / have a bunch of torches everywhere and or forges crouched since the first exp patch. Hell I mine and farm trees at night with zombies around me, with no stealth perks at all and they never see me if I donlt let the stealth bar get too high. If pointing out you could do things differently to avoid dying and having the ability to build bases and farm is insulting, then not even Obi Wan can be your only hope - there is none lol. Why I suggested turning off zombies or lowering the difficulty or giving yourself xp or modding stuff. That option is there easily accessed, we cannot mod in AI and such. That's hard coded.

Ive never seen zombies barrel through to you if you werent making noise / have a bunch of torches everywhere and or forges crouched since the first exp patch.

This is indeed a problem right now. I've tested it several times and several other users have been posting about it. You can crouch in fully black room, have stealth meter at 1, alt+tab away the game, go watch a video and a wandering horde will sometimes still come crashing through. I've watched hordes rampage through the forest, knocking down every tree in the way.

Don't let it get to you Noompsie.

I understand your frustration.

While I am enjoying A17, it's definitely changed the pace of the game.

Those of us who love building are now forced to make drastic changes to our strategies.

I much prefer to outsmart zombies with designs than just go head on.

[Maybe you're the same]

I also LOVE making huge builds.

Lots of us do.

Kind of hard to do that now.

I'm not saying we can't but that's certainly not early game stuff anymore.

You can always Mod, of course, but that's not everyone's thing.

I modded in some tools gated at level 100 that resemble A16 speed and I'm having more fun with them.

I don't care one tiny bit what others think. I just want to have fun.

Maybe, Noompsie, you might consider putting in some new tools for yourself or adjusting the existing ones.

There's no such thing as having fun wrong, despite what some will try to tell you.

If you want to build faster, Mod it in.

Cheers,

~ Lucky.

Thank you Lucky for your supportive words. Yes, I think we are very alike in our game style.

I am not very good with the technical modding stuff. I am a 71 year old grandmother who loves to game and have done so all of my life. That doesnt make me a bad gamer, it does however mean that I am a little challenged by coding although i would love to give it a try.

This is indeed a problem right now. I've tested it several times and several other users have been posting about it. You can crouch in fully black room, have stealth meter at 1, alt+tab away the game, go watch a video and a wandering horde will sometimes still come crashing through. I've watched hordes rampage through the forest, knocking down every tree in the way.

I am really glad you have seen it happen too.

Exactly. Mod it in, creative mode, turn off spawning until youre ready, hell console commands to give yourself stuff or XP, creative menu... the game gives you options if you dont like the constant threat while trying to build and survive (which building is STILL there, I've built 3 going on 4 now that are sucessful with no trickle spawning modded in on horde nights), you just cant build the invincible cheese bases back in a16.

Jugginator, I'm replying to you for the last time. You are not contributing, just countering and denying everything I say. Begone from my life.

If you have your stealth perks maxed (full stealth as you said) and it's not like broad daylight or the blood moon then zombies have a seriously hard time finding you.

They didnt seem to have any problem finding me Gazz. But when I said full stealth I meant i was crouched in a corner of a loft in a blackened building not moving, not opening inventory, stealth down to 1 or 2. I didnt have stealth skills maxed as it was only day 1.

Archived