A17 is insanely fun, am I the only one enjoying this?

chinothepony

Now here is my caveat. I do have about 6 modlets installed. Other than the ones used to fix existing bugs such as schematics, table saw, and chemistry set being able to be used at the right level, I have three major ones that I feel have made the game better for me:

Dying debuff lasts 15 minutes

Attributes level gates are removed

UI shows water and food

Playing Day 27 on survivalist, with 2 hour days.

The bottom line is the soul of the game is still there. Combat is now exceptional and there is far more emergent gaming with the way the zombies ragdoll and how they seek you out. The first time I saw an irradiated spider leap from ground level over my four rows of spikes onto my iron bar railing and smack me in the face, my mouth dropped.

I read a lot of complaints about the new POIs. I absolutely love them. Yes, I do feel 2 hour days are now better to facilitate how long it takes to clear them out, but each one is like a haunted house exploration puzzle. I read complaints also on how easy the game gets after perking up and getting some exceptional gear. Well, I think about every survival game "suffers" from this and especially A16 did with its drunk, not-so-hungry zombies. I for one love that after working your butt off, I get more of a reprieve from all that pain and suffering of growing my character and keeping the base secure.

The difference from A17 and A16 in this regard, is A17 still manages to throw me off my hubris. I took a tier 4 quest to a place that I call Hotel Hell. Even in the day it was a nightmare, full of those irradiated alien looking zombies on every floor. I died three times, even after coming in fully stocked.

The driving is soooo smooth. You have come a LONG WAY TFP, from the days of minibike getting stuck on a blade of grass and therefore couldn't be mounted. People are also complaining about being able to pocket your vehicles. Please do not take this away! This is such a great feature! Especially as a single player who dies in the distance, and then I can take my back-up 4x4 to get my bike and pop one right into my pocket while I drive the other home. Yes, on the so-called realism standpoint, this sticks out a bit like a sore thumb. But there are just great mechanics that can be unrealistic but still keep to the game. And this is one of them.

I've always wanted Phantasm (my fav horror movie) to become a game. 7 Days to Die is about the closest I can find in the desolate feeling I get as I drive my bad-ass motorbike or apocalyptic jeep down the lonely roads. Modifying weapons (hello, please add a quad shotgun please, haha) and staving off packs of the ones left behind. Thank you for A17, it truly did revive this game from the dead.

TL;DR

+Driving is so smooth now!

+Pocket vehicles make for such flexibility

+Combat is so much more dynamic and fun.

+Mods. These are late game treasures in which we seek.

+Zombies able to reach you better above and below now.

+Graphics and weather effects are atmospheric and eerie

+Zombies aren't lootable and occasionally drop more decent loot

+Most perks add to interesting and enhancing mechanics

+Clothes no longer deteriorate

+The return of the bonus resources for the final hit!

+With gardening you no longer have to replant

-Hunger = Stam feels off. Makes you want to top off instead of wait to enjoy the more hearty meals

-Would love the return of the skill-up as you do.

-Too much growth revolves around the level system and it makes it feel artificial.

-Water still feels like swimming in molasses

-Table saw feels a bit redundant. I love to build as I go, so it's a bit annoying to have to plan out the pieces instead of just whipping them up by hand.

-Forge gated a little too high

-Miss that quality levels had more variances (ala SWG) and that higher quality brought for more block and enemy damage

I also enjoy A17e so far. Sure some balance needs to happen but duh... That's what experimental is for! honestly gamestage is my only complaint (It ramps up insanely fast! Ferals on day 1 are no fun!) Buuut, Honestly this doesn't bother me cause I'm pretty darn good at survival games.

Well, we're on day 44 and that's the furthest we've gotten in the past 5 alphas so, yeah, we're enjoying the heck out of it.

Things I miss:

-Old quality system with 1-600 and where quality degraded with repairs and higher quality items were more effective.

-Individual skills in addition to perks.

-Weapon and vehicle parts...they really gave a deeper purpose for looting

I think that is what has kind of contributed most to the artificial-ness of the game. Most devs try to smooth and simplify things in the long run, but sometimes that really takes a chunk out of the game's personality. I too would love the return of the variance of quality levels and I actually miss that if you either had low stamina or the tool's quality had really depreciated, that your hits would be a lot smaller.

Plenty of people are having fun but since we tend to take the time to stop to complain it's natural to see more negativity.

The people enjoying are mostly too busy playing (and if I wasn't bored at work I wouldn't be here posting)

The new POIs are ♥♥♥♥ing amazing! I can't imagine people don't like them, the sleepers need tweaking is the main complaint.

Those bugs are fixed if you upgrade to B208.

Dying reduced to 30 min (I understand if it's not enough, I think I'd prefer 15 min too)

Reminds me I need to replace my UI (cause I like to see food/water too)

While I don't like level gates much (hell I don't like levels, xp, skills much) playing with them it does lead to certain strategies. I was outraged with the forge at first, and then with the recipes still being stuck behind the skills if you do find stations.

After playing a bit:

1 - Working forges still easy enough to find

2 - You can still make most things in the forge without the skill, including forged iron

3 - Iron tools easy enough to acquire through loot/quest/trade, you can fix them with forged iron that you CAN make, QL not being the thing it used to be the stress from that is gone

So unless the RNG ♥♥♥♥s all over me it's a non-issue. MP our Whiterun trader had ALL 4 working stations, which was amazing. My SP starts have varied, and yes, it does suck when the trader and you can't find a forgehouse with a working forge nearby, but you adapt - or rush lvl 20.

Other than the bicycle (which was also adjusted - both acid/wheels too rare and the lvl too high) and some other irritations (steel arrows & bullets; should be able to assemble them if you've found the parts, even if you can't make them, etc) pretty much the same thing with the rest. If I find a conveniently located working forge and cement mixer early game, then I start building my base, otherwise I live nomad until I find them or get to 40.

Well, we're on day 44 and that's the furthest we've gotten in the past 5 alphas so, yeah, we're enjoying the heck out of it.

Things I miss:

-Old quality system with 1-600 and where quality degraded with repairs and higher quality items were more effective.

-Individual skills in addition to perks.

-Weapon and vehicle parts...they really gave a deeper purpose for looting

I really miss this as well, I loved it when I would find a high 500's engine and be able scoot fast AF, then using the workbench to make it a 600!

I think that is what has kind of contributed most to the artificial-ness of the game. Most devs try to smooth and simplify things in the long run, but sometimes that really takes a chunk out of the game's personality. I too would love the return of the variance of quality levels and I actually miss that if you either had low stamina or the tool's quality had really depreciated, that your hits would be a lot smaller.

See now I hated all those things. I abused the ♥♥♥♥ out of the combine like everyone else, my OCDness even it gave me fits, because I would put off crafting/using a lot of things until I could combine them for QL600 and repair them as efficiently as possible. Yeah, I know that doesn't make it good/bad in general, but it was bad for me.

They do need to do something about the engines though, 1 bank doesn't cut it anymore.

I think needing to search for mod recipes offsets the loss of hunting for high QL parts as an activity.

Plenty of people are having fun but since we tend to take the time to stop to complain it's natural to see more negativity.

The people enjoying are mostly too busy playing (and if I wasn't bored at work I wouldn't be here posting).

Agreed to an extent, and let me explain. I am having a ton of fun playing A17e, but not because I think the new system is good. Nor do I think it's inherently bad either. I enjoy a lot about it, but I certainly would have done it different if I were the developer. What makes this game fun for me is playing with my friends. I used to start my streams with my SP and then switch over to my MP dedicated server. I've pretty much abandoned SP altogether and I don't have any specific reason why, just not enjoying this format SP.

.....also, totally bored at work and that is why post a lot lmao

Agreed to an extent, and let me explain. I am having a ton of fun playing A17e, but not because I think the new system is good. Nor do I think it's inherently bad either. I enjoy a lot about it, but I certainly would have done it different if I were the developer. What makes this game fun for me is playing with my friends. I used to start my streams with my SP and then switch over to my MP dedicated server. I've pretty much abandoned SP altogether and I don't have any specific reason why, just not enjoying this format SP.

.....also, totally bored at work and that is why post a lot lmao

Weirdly, with my own server up. I don't wanna play SP so I can advance in it instead. Normally I'm all for SP but for some reason not right now.

I'm with the OP.

I'm loving A17.

The changes to Exp and levels I'm happy with.

The new AI is fun.

New systems have me learning all over again.

No build has been perfect but they've all got their own character and strengths.

I don't know what to tell you, I like A17 and it's fun!

I think needing to search for mod recipes offsets the loss of hunting for high QL parts as an activity.

You can find all the mods so crafting them from schematics is merely an option that gives you access to more mods earlier if you perk into crafting.

A17e is SUCH a step up imo. Performance is better than ever, upped it to ultra everything but distant trees. Smooth all over.

Speaking of trees, the distant tree rendering and new models are possibly my favorite parts of the update. Really widens the feel of the world.

Love all the new systems and toys. Especially enjoy how the stamina makes me really deliberate my actions.

I'm enjoying the perk system and the slowed progression. For us it incentivizes exploration over plopping down underfoot and crafting everything we need.

If I had to find one thing wrong that doesn't come down to balancing it would be...um...torches are weird now.

I love A17 but it becomes too easy after you reach midgame. A problem that is not new with the game though.

Hopefully the final product will have more long term challenge.

That's kinda Game Design 101, though.

If you put in an ability, make it awesome so you can see how it works and what it interacts with. Balance later.

IMO the compound effect of some of these perks is a weeeee bit over the top but it's experimental. ;)

My friend and I are also enjoying alpha 17!

We've removed the death buff and removed irradiated health regeneration, but apart from those minor issues we're deeply satisfied. We're about to start laying the foundations of my friend's fortress-palace (he's an extravagant builder).

I know how to remove the death buff, but would like to know how to remove irradiated health regeneration. Appreciate your help on that one.

The people enjoying are mostly too busy playing (and if I wasn't bored at work I wouldn't be here posting)

The new POIs are ♥♥♥♥ing amazing! I can't imagine people don't like them, the sleepers need tweaking is the main complaint.

Those bugs are fixed if you upgrade to B208.

Dying reduced to 30 min (I understand if it's not enough, I think I'd prefer 15 min too)

Reminds me I need to replace my UI (cause I like to see food/water too)

Yeah, I don't know why they keep burying the food and water more.

While I don't like level gates much (hell I don't like levels, xp, skills much) playing with them it does lead to certain strategies. I was outraged with the forge at first, and then with the recipes still being stuck behind the skills if you do find stations.

After playing a bit:

1 - Working forges still easy enough to find

2 - You can still make most things in the forge without the skill, including forged iron

3 - Iron tools easy enough to acquire through loot/quest/trade, you can fix them with forged iron that you CAN make, QL not being the thing it used to be the stress from that is gone

I think that's what makes it slightly bizarre that they would gate the forge so high. Because you can always find one and do what you need to do with it, without the skill. I supposed the iron tools are still gated though.

So unless the RNG ♥♥♥♥s all over me it's a non-issue. MP our Whiterun trader had ALL 4 working stations, which was amazing. My SP starts have varied, and yes, it does suck when the trader and you can't find a forgehouse with a working forge nearby, but you adapt - or rush lvl 20.

I had everything at the trader working except the darn chemistry lab. And then I found three more chemistry sets just in the small cluster of buildings where I setup base (at the pawn shop near the bear bar) and all were broken haha. So I had to go down to some trailers in the desert to get my 1 for 1 gunpowder on.

Other than the bicycle (which was also adjusted - both acid/wheels too rare and the lvl too high) and some other irritations (steel arrows & bullets; should be able to assemble them if you've found the parts, even if you can't make them, etc) pretty much the same thing with the rest. If I find a conveniently located working forge and cement mixer early game, then I start building my base, otherwise I live nomad until I find them or get to 40.

Is the bicycle good? I skipped that one and the minibike.

Wow glad to see others are enjoying it! You always have the people who fear so much that they think a positive opinion will deflate the devs every urgency to make things better. While I have a fear that TFP will change too much for the sake of all the negative posts, so it's good to let them know that there are things that are working good too.

I really miss this as well, I loved it when I would find a high 500's engine and be able scoot fast AF, then using the workbench to make it a 600!

As for me, I tired to hold many full crates of those parts and combining them. The current systems is a such relief! I can play game actually more, and less of micromanagement with all these infinite numbers of parts, combining them, etc. After I played for 20 hours, I understood how dumb was the old system with so much clicking inside chests and workbenches.

The quality of the whole game went up. There are lot of places for improvement as usual, though :) .

Archived