An Idea On Gun Parts

Moldy Bread

So I have made my position on the gun and tool quality system.

So my idea is why not add parts back in and find (mostly) assembled guns? This way you still get to find complete guns and still get to upgrade them in a more in-depth way.

I sort of compromise if you will.

I would much prefer this. I miss upgrading my base guns. I thought the original "gun crafting" from A16 plus mods from A17 was going to be the best thing ever. Then I realized they got rid of the first part and was disappointed.

Or maybe mod the guns with the mods in the game to make them better. Which is an actually better and more realistic approach to tools/armor/weapons... try the new system fully instead of sayin that the old broken way was better. You have way more options now than previously.

Yep. Agree.

600 Range of Quality. Weapons that have to be assembled with their parts. Upgrading it this way. Depending on their Tier-Level (same like before) the possible amount of modification-Slots and Durability.

Would be perfect.

Tritto

I would much prefer this. I miss upgrading my base guns. I thought the original "gun crafting" from A16 plus mods from A17 was going to be the best thing ever. Then I realized they got rid of the first part and was disappointed.

Same here.

That and removing schematics entirely killed the need to explore, I just did the town next to were we were settled and shrug it off as bored.

Finding a good mod is so much more rewarding than finding a slightly better part. Combining parts was a chore, and I'd often buy completed guns from the trader because you couldn't rely on the RNG to give you that sniper rifle barrel before you got tired of the game.

Parts were a lot of busywork for often negligible improvement. I'm glad they got replaced for something that actually enables meaningful customization. Late game is so much more fun when your character is nicely perked out and has a few modded weapons.

Ugh. No. Quality 1-6 is plenty of range for items.

Also, mods for weapons is way cooler than weapon parts. I’m looking forward to more variety of mods being added, as that will let you build really customized weapons rather than the weapon part Tetris we wound up doing in A16.

mods are cool and gives finally more options to customize your gun. i'm sure, in the future there will be more usable mods than mod slots in weapon, so you need to choose: example more durability or bigger magazine or better scope. that would be fun. like one mod lets you 1 shot kill living bear, but does not affect zombies, other mod does more damage to zombie. so you need to use different mods for different actions.

Personally, I'd rather see complete guns over parted out guns. Most guns you find should be put together. Now, maybe we'd find parted out guns in places like the dump that could be trade fodder, or a gun smith that has a whole bunch of common weapon parts lying around, but most people don't keep anything but whole (and functional) guns. Now if we want to talk about parts that act like mods, then yeah. Like say a rifle receiver and barrel set for the sniper rifle that can use .45 ammo or magnum rounds. Maybe a chrome lined barrel for the hunting rifle that makes it more durable. Or heck, a lever action conversion for the hunting rifle that uses .45 ammo.

It just makes more sense to find complete weapons over their parts. If we insist on adding parts back in, it should only ever be part of a fetch quest for the trader to expand their inventory or something.

Or maybe mod the guns with the mods in the game to make them better. Which is an actually better and more realistic approach to tools/armor/weapons... try the new system fully instead of sayin that the old broken way was better. You have way more options now than previously.

This game is anything but realistic. Also, I have tried it.

- - - Updated - - -

mods are cool and gives finally more options to customize your gun. i'm sure, in the future there will be more usable mods than mod slots in weapon, so you need to choose: example more durability or bigger magazine or better scope. that would be fun. like one mod lets you 1 shot kill living bear, but does not affect zombies, other mod does more damage to zombie. so you need to use different mods for different actions.

Once again, why not have both?

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh. No. Quality 1-6 is plenty of range for items.

Also, mods for weapons is way cooler than weapon parts. I’m looking forward to more variety of mods being added, as that will let you build really customized weapons rather than the weapon part Tetris we wound up doing in A16.

Is it? Because right now a level 1 gun is pretty much the same as a level 6 gun. Only you can add a few more mods for a negligible difference.

Finding a good mod is so much more rewarding than finding a slightly better part. Combining parts was a chore, and I'd often buy completed guns from the trader because you couldn't rely on the RNG to give you that sniper rifle barrel before you got tired of the game.

Parts were a lot of busywork for often negligible improvement. I'm glad they got replaced for something that actually enables meaningful customization. Late game is so much more fun when your character is nicely perked out and has a few modded weapons.

That's a good analogy of A17. There is no busywork, it's just handed to you. God forbid you work to maintain your gun. You say the improvements were "negligible" well in A17 there are no improvements. A level 1 gun is pretty much the same as a level 6 gun. Once you got your mods? Then what? At least the parts system gave you a reason to keep looting because you needed the parts.

Besides, why can't we have both a parts system and mods? Like I said in my OP, you will still find assembled guns.

Is it? Because right now a level 1 gun is pretty much the same as a level 6 gun. Only you can add a few more mods for a negligible difference.

A level 6 gun has massively higher durability. Plus, every mod you put in (other than the silencer) increases damage, so a level 6 gun has a much higher potential than a level 1.

The real question is whether TFP expands the number of mods and makes some readily craftable (or otherwise acquirable). Right now, it’s a very interesting system that is clearly not fully implemented.

A level 6 gun has massively higher durability. Plus, every mod you put in (other than the silencer) increases damage, so a level 6 gun has a much higher potential than a level 1.

The real question is whether TFP expands the number of mods and makes some readily craftable (or otherwise acquirable). Right now, it’s a very interesting system that is clearly not fully implemented.

I hope they nerfe the durability.

Lvl 1 pistol should only hold for 20 rounds max :fat:

That's a good analogy of A17. There is no busywork, it's just handed to you. God forbid you work to maintain your gun. You say the improvements were "negligible" well in A17 there are no improvements. A level 1 gun is pretty much the same as a level 6 gun. Once you got your mods? Then what? At least the parts system gave you a reason to keep looting because you needed the parts.

thats funny, i think you're the first person to say A17 has no busywork and that things are handed to you. There are tons of complaints about A17 being too grindy and it takes too long to unlock things and now you're saying there's no busy work.

a lv 1 gun shouldn't be much better than a lv 6 gun except the mods. What should change, should be the player. Having the ability to use that gun more efficiently, which is the case. if a lv 1 person gets a lv 6 gun, and a lv 300 person gets a lv 6 gun, the lv 300 would benefit much more significantly than the lv 1.

Finding gun parts was just tedious. look around for ages to find that AK barrel and then you find it in some random box in an attic was terrible. Then the odds of it being lv 1, around day 50. Thats not an example, its happened to me on several different play throughs... all those pistol & shotgun parts were just vendor fodder.

I imagine you miss the old system because there is def. an over abundance of fire arms nowadays, true... but it is a zombie apocalypse. There will be a lot of guns around because people are trying to defend themselves

Im for a combination of the two systems, as op said.

Because why would I continue looking if I already got my lucky ak day 3?

Just need the ammo now.

Also the mod system is very forced. Why does every mod (heard that also includes colour mods) increase damage?

At least with parts they ACTUALLY improve the weapon.

There wew so many nice pimpdreams about weapons. Low quality mag means it sometimes gets stuck while reloading, barrel influences accuracy, stock dmg/range... all those things are just gone.

I like the weapon mods. But they simply aren't as intricate as the old system could have been.

Just combine the two. I mean weapon droprate has to be rebalanced anyways... so please add it back in A18!

So I have made my position on the gun and tool quality system.

So my idea is why not add parts back in and find (mostly) assembled guns? This way you still get to find complete guns and still get to upgrade them in a more in-depth way.

I sort of compromise if you will.

Mods exsist and they serve the very same function parts did WHILE enhancing the system even further.

How? Increasing your quality increased all aspects of the gun, the mods are selective. Why not have both?

+1

I know how mods work. But they are counterintuitive in their current state. Why does dye give dmg? Why does ANY of those mods increase damage? They should give extra effects (like they do) like increase decrease spead, add burstfire, scope, increased magazine...

But they shouldn't give damage.

My thought was:

Every gunpart influences something (see my previous post) AND mods give extra effects.

If you dislike 600 quality, make it 60.

The overall defines how many mods can be applied.

There is no gameplay reason not to do it this way.

The ONLY negative point was already mentioned:

You have to keep an eye on better parts, which some ppl dislike, because they just want to go Boom-Boom.

But having gun parts could be an added extra, improving the whole thing overall even if just slightly.

Not really.

It would be all over again logs to planks to sticks to spikes kind of crafting, but gun edition this time.

There is a line between a fun and a chore and remember we can no longer combine 2 bad parts into 1 good one, so the point of parts isn't even here.

Archived