horde night the meaning of 7 days to die

worf3k

I thought the whole point was to prepare for a massive attack of zombies on the 7th day of the game. the name of the game is 7 days to die, which to me implies you have 7 days to prepare yourself and your base and gather supplies in alpha 17 they took out trickling zombies and now you have one horde. Depending on your settings 8 16 64 so forth it could be easy or difficult but its just one horde. a horde night should consist of wave after wave of hordes of zombies dropping epic loot for that night and doing damage to your base, dont get me wrong i love this game but if they dont do something to make it less boring on horde nights and a little easier to progress i may have to quit playing. i for one dont want to that.

this is just my opinion on what a horde night should be.

I dunno mate, what do you want exactly? You would like the zombies to be more evenly spaced throughout the night like before? I for one kinda like it to have one big wave and then be done with it. Before it was just easier because you could get them one by one.

If I were a zombie general I would order all my troops to attack simultaneously.

There is a problem with just one big wave. If you set it to 64, 64 will come and that will be it. There are only so many zombie types, so horde night would reach max difficulty pretty quickly and remain at that level every 7 days until you stop playing.

The setting should be to influence how many zombies can be spawned in the game at any given time throughout the whole horde night. The "trickling" zombies that they removed refers to the one lone zombie that would come one after another after the final wave... which was just annoying. I agree that it had to go. But, instead, the waves should just keep coming until morning. I am sure they stopped them coming because of performance reasons when there were gore blocks that would pile up and pile on more memory usage. They don't exist anymore, so there is no reason to stop the waves!

It's random. Game stage matters. First couple horde nights you're probably going to roll the dice against the variable and end up with one big push and some quiet time after. It's gets hairy later.

Also, z's are easier to trick then they ever were now they're like a marching column of idiot ants now. It's kinda rad since setting up traps for them now is a lot less work, actually, but I miss the stress of not knowing which direction they were going to come from but that was a couple revisions back now was it?

Anyhow set your game stage to 3k range and come back again and you'll see what I mean. Good luck to you and bless your heart. First horde night, 2nd horde night sure ya start to feel like kind of a badass. That will go away, keep playing (or manually change the gamestage to your own personal comfort zone). I have my xml edited to be hairball from day one with 4x the spawns of everything in every zone except snow because that would be crazy lumberjack bullet sponge hell I'm not ready for. Game should come default with my edits honestly we'd have no more of these kind of posts anywhere about it being too easy when you're running for life 30 minutes into your first day just trying to make it to the trader while you have a dozen zeds nipping at your heels, the way it should be. And it's just uphill from there as your game stage goes through the roof fast from all the XP. Better be ready on day 7.

There are way too few zombie spawns by default in this game that's my complaint, it's really fun when that problem is taken away, but it's a simple enough 5 minute fix from the user by editing the spawn xml and just boosting numbers by flat rates across the board. I understand the limit was done for performance reasons but it's 2018 soon to be 2019 now, everything is faster than when this game was designed back in the previous administration era. We've come a long way!

If you want to see what happens when things get worse, edit

\Data\Config\gamestages.xml

and change the

nomadGameDifficultyBonus (or whatever difficulty you are playing) to 100.

Then play the next horde night.

I have to say, I think the hordes are MUCH improved this time. Day 7 horde at least is a challenge, and not just 5 zombies dying on your spikes.

Maybe it's too difficult for new players, there are always ways to cheese it and avoid, so I prefer having it more difficult than far too simple :)

It would however be nice to have a game option for trickle wave. Maybe not super quick to put in, but right now I see two groups of people broadly. One requests no trickle wave, and one requests trickle wave (well, I would always bump it to 10, so no trickle), and a game option would help.

But anyhow, someone will modlet it (like Guppy did for A16) and we can all just pop it in I suppose if we want it :D

/V -

Isn't it possible to just spawn a fresh wave of zombies after the first one is defeated? You kill one wave and a new one attacks, and so on and so forth until daytime after which blood moon horde spawning stops.

Are there limitations for some reason that prevent continuous horde spawning?

Isn't it possible to just spawn a fresh wave of zombies after the first one is defeated? You kill one wave and a new one attacks, and so on and so forth until daytime after which blood moon horde spawning stops.

Are there limitations for some reason that prevent continuous horde spawning?

Sounds like this would punish those more efficient at killing the zombies. People will just try to cheese the game by killing them slowly to avoid more waves. Bad design idea.

Or at least make it so that a new wave comes says, once an hour, wheter the last wave is finished or not.

For myself I like the one big horde. I put max horde number to 64. They nearly destroyed my base last time. It was a miracle the thing was still standing come the morning. It was awesome.

Note: I'm not being specific in my timeline for when changes were made since I don't remember exactly when. Been playing since A8, and after a while stuff kinda blends together.

Eh, Lowf and I play on 2-hour days, so our hordes before this were pretty damn epic, given nighttime lasts quite a bit longer then. Then it got changed to where you had a big push up front and tricklers after. Which was arguably more fun, because me and Lowf would sit on the wall, swap to bows/crossbows, and provide Ninja Warrior style commentary as we plinked the tricklers. This worked pretty well our first two games on A17 as the XP from the tricklers was great...

But the first horde under the new changes was outright disappointing and overwhelming at the same time. We were testing a new approach, which can basically be summarized as "Minimize base building the first 4 days, build only what you *need* to survive the night... and power level to 20 ASAP" and this worked out pretty well. Hit L20 on day 5, spent the next three days putting up the wall, digging in spikes, and stockpiling arrows and ammo.

Small hitch: We didn't find a single mining helmet, nor did our vendor ever have one... and we were cutting it to the wire in terms of time so we didn't have the standard torch poles out. It was quite dark so we couldn't see much of anything until it was nearly in the spikes. Thankfully our spike field was 4 rows, so we lost about 2/3rds the spikes without a wall breach... but we had 5 cops and a bunch of wights show up for our Day 7 horde and for a few minutes we were pretty concerned... and then they just stopped coming. It wasn't even midnight yet.

Side note: For folks playing 2-hour days, the timer on loot bags is way, way too short for horde night zombies, even with the truncated spawn now. As it stands, the only thing horde night z's are good for is XP. All the loot expires long before dawn, and with the new changes the majority of it will poof before the last wave rolls through.

Archived