Lost my game and loosing interest real fast.

R0bb0b

I wanted to look for some book stores so I decided to try to generate a preview of my map in the map generator, and I guess that maybe it was because I used the same seed that I was currently playing on, but it wiped my game out and replaced it with a brand new game. I don't fully understand exactly what happened but when it was done my game save was gone. That's fine though. This is experimental and to be expected and not a big deal.

I started a new game and as soon as I got to level 2 it hit me like a ton of bricks. Everything is level gated and there is absolutely nothing to do except kill zombies. I could start on a base but upgrading is excruciatingly slow and I can't make iron until like level 20. No point in finding a forge or a workbench because the entire game is level gated and completely locked off.

This has never happened to me before. I have always embraced starting over and have absolutely loved every alpha release since A9. My favorite part in fact has always been starting out with nothing. But this is not the same game that I fell in love with and have enjoyed over the past several years. This is something new and I'm loosing interest in it very fast.

You want to level gate the entire game? You want to make mining painfully slow to the point where its only use anymore is for slowly generating resources? You want to make item quality useless, at least for the first 40 levels? You want to base all progress on one single experience pool and make zombie killing the primary source for that experience? If all of this is true, and it looks to me like this is where the game is headed, I'm afraid that this is where we will have to part ways.

I will continue to play and try to like it but I am loosing interest fast.

Progression has some serious issues right now, no doubt. I'm generally unsatisfied with most of the changes to leveling and skills (now perks; so dreadful. When has emulating Bethesda ever been a good idea?) Zombie combat has been slightly improved, but is still bare-bones. Years of work and the best we get is a power attack? Still can't block or parry, and every weapon has one animation.

I believe the switch to perks and level-gating was done because TFP simply can't grasp how to make a compelling skill tree. It shouldn't be hard, but apparently it is, so now we have the lame perks system. It doesn't help that almost all the XP in this tower defense voxel crafting game is found in clubbing slow zombies to death.

I believe the switch to perks and level-gating was done because TFP simply can't grasp how to make a compelling skill tree. It shouldn't be hard, but apparently it is, so now we have the lame perks system.

I don't think so. I think the reason is that they want to force slow your progression. So you have to experience every stages of the progression more fully and this also helps keeping the difficulty challenging for longer. No more full set of good quality crafted iron tools by day 2. Back in A16 everyone would cheese the game by beelining key skills and become OP in a short time.

I for one welcome the A17 changes where I can finally feel like im just a weak piece of meat struggling to survive. I think this was the intend of this game from the start.

Back in A16 everyone would cheese the game by beelining key skills and become OP in a short time.

A16 wasn't a great system either. It was closer to an actual skill tree, but had the twist that you could grind certain skills just by doing them. People got strong fast because they committed to work. It still took a massive amount of effort (and essentially forgoing early exploring/looting) and luck to, say, unlock Concrete by day 7. Most people could get there by day 14. Steel took a long time.

I still prefer A16 because I don't feel compelled to spend most of my time managing hunger and chasing down zombies JUST for the XP. I could gather materials and build. For me this game has always been 80% Minecraft, 20% Call of Duty. I much prefer building and even gathering to the highly lackluster combat and POIs. Now POIs are proper dungeons, and the combat is still unsatisfying. It's really too bad TFP insist I do more of the things I don't want to do, just so I can do the thing I actually want to do (build with concrete, because anything else is just not worth it). It's also too bad TFP decided it should be easier for the zombies to demolish my buildings. There's almost a hostility to what I think is an absolutely fundamental, core feature of this game: building with blocks.

I liked playing Minecraft for adults. I don't know what this game is anymore. I think a good remedy would be a "Builder" mode for people who want to get into the blocks earlier. No level-gating of the construction aspects and a buff to XP from gathering. Yes, one COULD build with wood or cobblestone, but gathering is fairly painful early on and you are immediately dealing with the stamina bar. There is precious little time to build anything when every day is spent battling hunger. I like survival games too... but I need to do something else as well. Like establish a presence in infrastructure that makes the surviving worthwhile (for me).

A16 wasn't a great system either. It was closer to an actual skill tree, but had the twist that you could grind certain skills just by doing them. People got strong fast because they committed to work. It still took a massive amount of effort (and essentially forgoing early exploring/looting) and luck to, say, unlock Concrete by day 7. Most people could get there by day 14. Steel took a long time.

\.

No offense but I've never seen anything like that. Most people I've played with and in personal runs im on concrete by day 3-4, iron tools day 1 and possibly steel by day 3-4. The game ended for me by day 10-14 because you could literlly craft everything as soon as you aquired a nominal amount of stuff. Once you knew the fastest path, the only way around it was to force yourself not to do that / refrain from using concrete and such. PLaying solo I would always have steel tools by the end of the first week. I had to start forcing myself to avoid it, which annoyed me. Then you had the bad AI and neigh-invincible blocks, it was too much boring lol.

A16 wasn't a great system either. It was closer to an actual skill tree, but had the twist that you could grind certain skills just by doing them. People got strong fast because they committed to work.

For me early game in A16 was just crafting 900 stone axe to cheese level my tool crafting and then I started the game with a big advantage. It was not really fun.

liked playing Minecraft for adults. I don't know what this game is anymore. I think a good remedy would be a "Builder" mode for people who want to get into the blocks earlier.''

Here, I think that is the problem. The game you want is not quite what de devs have in mind. But the good news is that it is moddable and will most likely there will be mods to make it more interesting to you.

To me 7DTD has one central goal. Not dying. I think this game is all about not dying. When you die, you lost. Game over. I think this is the spirit of the game. And that is why I love it.

I will just ramp the difficulty to keep it challenging and give the game a fair chance of killing me and make me struggle. For as long as the game can kill me starting over is interesting. Back in A16 I was playing permadeath but for now I play with 3 lives to give me a better chance at seeing A17 content and also learn the game. After that I delete my save file. I love a17, I feel like a stuggling piece of meat. Having to use the stone axe for a week just makes your next tool more amazing. A17 is my favourite 7dtd so far.

No offense but I've never seen anything like that. Most people I've played with and in personal runs im on concrete by day 3-4, iron tools day 1 and possibly steel by day 3-4. The game ended for me by day 10-14 because you could literlly craft everything as soon as you aquired a nominal amount of stuff. Once you knew the fastest path, the only way around it was to force yourself not to do that / refrain from using concrete and such. PLaying solo I would always have steel tools by the end of the first week. I had to start forcing myself to avoid it, which annoyed me. Then you had the bad AI and neigh-invincible blocks, it was too much boring lol.

Yeah I had pretty much the same experience with A16. Although I found it was tougher to get steel, but i'd have it by day 14 for sure. Was fun for the first few games then it got utterly boring. Most POI's were not even a challenge, searching for books was what i mostly seemed to do with my time.

I like the level gating but I do feel some perks need to unlock earlier than others. Like pack Mule should be able to be made level 5 with 3 str, because going from lv 1 to like what 50 or higher with almost half the inventory locked off is a real annoyance its just not fun being slowed movement wise 24/7. The forge at 20 is fine, you can still repair iron tools you find and there are many ways to get forged iron: Car loot, working stiff/construction boxes, taking a wrench to a non-working workbench will get you 20 forged iron without any of the wrench perks, or lastly just buy it off trader its cheap. Get out there and loot: Cars, working stiff boxes have the highest chance of having iron or better tools in them. I often almost every single game have a set of iron tools before level 10, and more than enough forged iron to repair them.

What i love from this game is to build awesome bases, but right now it's not worth it, and if i can't do that, it's not fun anymore. That, and zombies with no loot (almost). If i don't have any reward for killing zombies, i don't have any interest on kill them.

I don't think i'm gonna play anymore if this doesn't change.

Just my opinion with what I had fun in this game

Balancing is a delicate art because everyone likes different things. For example, I love the current system, you few don't. They'll get it down. Side note, though, check you saved world in AppData, see if it wrote a new backup. itll have the .bak extension. .ttp.bak

Not the few if you go by the pole ;)

a16 level system is more intuitive and you put the points into which perks suit your play style. If people wanted to mine and build bases guess where your points went?

If you wanted to go and fight you put them into weapons armour etc but you had the choice. I do not even think you could max out all the points. The game never forced you to unlock concrete or steel it was a choice.

The trouble with a17 there is no real choice and the level gate is just horrible to me and many others.

Personally I like the loot from old houses the new ones are ok but falling through floors all the time gets annoying and old very quick to me.

No offense but I've never seen anything like that. Most people I've played with and in personal runs im on concrete by day 3-4, iron tools day 1 and possibly steel by day 3-4. The game ended for me by day 10-14 because you could literlly craft everything as soon as you aquired a nominal amount of stuff. ol.

Ah another A16 early quitter who never realised he was 150+ days away from end game (gamestage 3000) and then proclaims the game too easy.

You could craft everything by day 14, that's great, but did you? When you reach there, you are basically being challenged to use all those tools to build a base that can withstand the gamestage 3000 horde. You have about 150 days to do this. Instead you quit and concluded the game was over and too easy. Forgive me if I declare your opinion of A16 difficulty irrelevant. Was 150 days to hit GS 3000 too long? Yes. There was definitely a balance issue. GS needed to rise a LOT faster in A16. But please....you have seen nothing of the game if you regularly stopped at day 14 or whenever else you had "everything".

And Steel on day 3 was impossible. A16 had its fair share of level gating too.

Ah another A16 early quitter who never realised he was 150+ days away from end game (gamestage 3000) and then proclaims the game too easy.

You could craft everything by day 14, that's great, but did you? When you reach there, you are basically being challenged to use all those tools to build a base that can withstand the gamestage 3000 horde. You have about 150 days to do this. Instead you quit and concluded the game was over and too easy. Forgive me if I declare your opinion of A16 difficulty irrelevant. Was 150 days to hit GS 3000 too long? Yes. There was definitely a balance issue. GS needed to rise a LOT faster in A16. But please....you have seen nothing of the game if you regularly stopped at day 14 or whenever else you had "everything".

And Steel on day 3 was impossible. A16 had its fair share of level gating too.

^This^ exactly. Why does everything have to be gated by level? Bring back horde mode. Make boss zombies and huge ogres or something. Don't take everything away for 40 levels and then say that it makes the game more fun. And damnit, I want my 50x50x50 pits back.

The map preview wiped my game from A16, so after that i always run a backup of my savegames first, before generating a preview. fortunately, it doesn't delete the saved game each time.

After that, i decided to just backup my game, log back in, fire up god mode, fly around and look to see what's around and then revert back to my original backup. much safer.

Archived