Altpha 17 - Swing and a huge miss!!

Yay

ok, so I spawn randon gen. Graphics - good. Game runs smoothly. Althoug desert biome is increadibly ugly now. Doesn't matter though. Spawn near 2 huge cities, fine I guess, lots of gathering opportunities. So far so good.

One day passes. I've gathered practically nothing, killed a bunch Z's with a stick and went on into an old cabin to camp out the night. Day 2 starts.... 1 buidling - 3 ferals, one of them a cop. Really? I've got a stick and a bow shooting stones. They one- shottet me. And it wasn't even a good building! Respawn, smaller town, small buliding. Outside - waliking horde. Took down like 40 of 'em. Walk into a bulding, 20 more come. Standart setteings, nomad. They spawn like 60 at a time. ON DAY 2!!! WTF? And the stamina? What is up with that. Can't even fart, cuz you'll use all of the stamina. Can't fight, run or anything, how are you gonna take down a huge walking horde on day 2? Also, running to the trader, encoutered 12(!!!!!!) flyings things. They do decent damage. Loot is better, but what is the point if you fight an army of Z's from the spawn?

Anyway, good job spending a year ruining the game. I went back to Alpha 16 immidiately, and so did my friends. Maybe start working on another game if you have nothing better to do than ruin what you've built

I don't think you understand what experimental branch means. So I will explain. This is an experimental test branch for alpha 17 that we have to Opt into so we can play it. We play it to test it for bugs, to help the devs balance it better so eventually when it becomes stable and we no longer have to opt into it the game will be more stable and better balanced instead of the unbalanced, bug and glitches fill stage it's currently in. I don't expect you to understand this all so I will repeat it a bit shorter. This isn't stable like alpha 16.4 this is alpha 17 experimental branch.

ok, so I spawn randon gen. Graphics - good. Game runs smoothly. Althoug desert biome is increadibly ugly now. Doesn't matter though. Spawn near 2 huge cities, fine I guess, lots of gathering opportunities. So far so good.

One day passes. I've gathered practically nothing, killed a bunch Z's with a stick and went on into an old cabin to camp out the night. Day 2 starts.... 1 buidling - 3 ferals, one of them a cop. Really? I've got a stick and a bow shooting stones. They one- shottet me. And it wasn't even a good building! Respawn, smaller town, small buliding. Outside - waliking horde. Took down like 40 of 'em. Walk into a bulding, 20 more come. Standart setteings, nomad. They spawn like 60 at a time. ON DAY 2!!! WTF? And the stamina? What is up with that. Can't even fart, cuz you'll use all of the stamina. Can't fight, run or anything, how are you gonna take down a huge walking horde on day 2? Also, running to the trader, encoutered 12(!!!!!!) flyings things. They do decent damage. Loot is better, but what is the point if you fight an army of Z's from the spawn?

Anyway, good job spending a year ruining the game. I went back to Alpha 16 immidiately, and so did my friends. Maybe start working on another game if you have nothing better to do than ruin what you've built

I agree it's a bit much starting off but that's why we're all playing, because the devs need player opinions to be able to effectively balance the game and make it more enjoyable.

Adjust your gameplay maybe? They have changed a lot as you have observed but you are still trying to play the game like previous builds. By all means go into POI's with a stick if you want but it might not end well because POI's have become more dangerous now so accept those risks.

I don't even go into POI's and I am on day 14, level 10 and have the weapons and skill to deal with ferals but why risk that when there is plenty of loot outside POI's, on the street and in cars? I have weapons, ammo, iron tools, base surrounded by 10 rows of iron spikes and not even entered 1 POI.

I'll warn you now to pre-empt your next post, they changed the AI so your cookie cutter base where you sipped coffee IRL and waited for dawn may need modification now. Again, all about adjusting gameplay.

Thanks for your input. But your opinions remain yours. The thing is that this game always gave you your own choice. Be a nomad worrier Z-slayer, or a crafter/builder/architect. Or even a mix. If I wanna fight through bloodmoon, I fight. If I don't feel like it, I hide and mine. My game - my choices.

But now the choice is gone. Z'd dig and jump, the game forces you to fight. POI's are filled with feral cops from day one - game forces you to avoid POI's (even thought they jusst introduced 300 new ones). No choice - no fun. And the fact that you now cannot get all perks/skills is just ridiculus. Why should I beforehand chose to be either a figheter or a miner? I want to be both. But no! The devs pick for you! They seem hellbent on dominating you to be the character they desire only. You have no choices anymore. They decide when you fight, when you can enter POI's, and that you can only become good at one thing and no more. Way to take the fun out of it.

For the record, I am a big fan of TFP and have logged a lot of hours into this game from the very first mine-craft looking alpha. And this is just my opinion (as well as a lot of others from what I read) about the direction the game is taking. To all you blind followers, don't bother telling me I'm an idiot for playing the game wrong or telling me to uninstall and play something else, becasuse I am already doing that.

Hey, blind follower here. I suggest playing A17 a little longer and getting the hang of the new systems before coming in here to scream bloody murder.

Unless something is seriously glitched out for you specifically, there should be lots of POIs that you can explore while being low level. The easiest ones are the garages, small stores, houses that barely have any walls for zombies to hide, etc. Regular houses and bigger stores are also very doable in the first days. They're dangerous, yes, but it's possible if you prepare and take your time. I've done it, others have done it. We're not a bunch of gaming geniuses, we've just developed new habits instead of relying on our A16 knowledge.

Balancing of XP gains is a work in progress, but you don't need all skills to be a good miner and fighter. You will have to choose between good perks early on, but once you get rolling there will be plenty of skill points to divide and you will be a danger to both zombies and rocks.

Again, if others can do it, why can't you?

I scream, it's what I do.

When changes to a good game are unwelcomed, aren't you allowed to express your concerns? Or is this like scientology?

And to me, the glitch is that day two, in a small town with 7 bulidings, there is a walking horde of about 30 Z's. And should there really be 20 Z's in a small regular house? Where you btw usually find jars or water, something your character suddently requires every 12 seconds, yet you only start with 1 jar.

And thx for the lesson, always the same. You express a concern, and some "expert" teaches you how to play. The game isn't really that different from Alpha to Alpha, so you can use the same knowledge.

And what if I want all skills? It's a grinder goal? Why should the game stop me if it was possible before? I see no logical reason whatsoever.

Guys its still experimental please wait...

If you know this game and TFP good enough you are used to waiting.They will probably be several more experimental releases (I mean alot of them) and then at the end they will release a good STABLE full A17 release.

And ofc when A17 releases all the problems you are talking about should be fixed and something more important for me when A17 Stable will be out all kind of modders will start their job :3

2 small towns. But very lootable, so I got excited too! Used cars, Working stiff. Could't go there first days of cource. But extremely promising.

I didn't die once before I ran into ferals. I took down the horde and a couple in the building before I ran, but the ferals kinda spooked me. Thought they were reserved for banks and shotgun messiah's or even bigger buldings, not cabins. And late game, not when I'm lvl 3.

I get that it's supposed to be harder beacuse super hardcore player bitch and moan about it being to easy, but then maybe make it more customized. Like an option where Z's can dig and jump. On/off buttons for different options. Like dogs, screamers. Turn em off if you just wanna walk trhough and build. Give the player the choice you know? Don't make them. After all, we are the ones playing.

There is a an on and off button, it's called the difficulty slider, I'm not joking. You're playing on a too hard for you difficulty. Put it at the easiest if you just want to walk through and build. Ferals didn't start showing up till two weeks, there are no 60 zombie hordes or whatever you're saying, I've only ever seen 3 birds at once, never something close to 12.

It's all there already, is it pride stopping from playing a lower difficulty? I don't understand...

I mean I don't want to be a jackass here but it's very simple, if the game's too hard at your current difficulty to bring you enjoyment, turn the slider down a notch. Still to hard for you? Turn it down again. There is nothing hard about the easiest difficulty slider and perhaps it sounds like that's where you should be playing honestly. It's where I played when I found I couldn't handle the harder difficulties and you don't see me here complaining the game's too easy? I'm just trying to understand.

What I'm trying to understand is why you think they need to add something they've already added!

Stamina is a non issue on easiest setting because it takes you two power swings to kill zombies and if you set the block durability to 20% you don't run out of stamina cutting trees or chopping rocks, only running, which you can perk into if that bothers you. Put the loot to 200% if you don't like going into PoI so much and buy everything from the trader after selling loot you find in old cars.

Here's the thing and the pattern I'm starting to see. TFP should put the easiest setting as it stands right now as the new "normal" difficulty and all these complaints go away. There's a couple posts like this here and elsewhere, people too stubborn to lower the difficulty but when people do lower the difficulty I always here "game is fine for me and my friends we just lowered the difficulty".

Day 4 on a new game for me, I went into a POI that looked like it was under construction, got down to the basement, and saw 4 loot boxes. Shotgun Messiah, Shamway, a Pop n Pills and a munitions crate.

I immediately got suspicious and wandered around the loot 3 times until I hear a groan. I smashed a wood panel, and was immediately jumped on by 2 worker zombies, which I clubbed down, (barely), without losing any health. I then went around the corner and saw 3 more that were like 5 blocks from where I had killed the first 2, killed them with headshots, (1 shot with a qual 2 compound bow, still using stone arrows at this time), with archery 3, boom headshot 2, and the bonus damage from sneaking. I finally found one more worker and killed him too.

I've not found any ferals yet, (yet I say), but I'm also not killing every single Z I find either. I am killing all Z's in the POI, because I don't want them falling on my back while I'm looting or dealing with another Z that happened to wake up, and I'm avoiding the hordes unless they follow me to where I'm storing my loot.

And where I'm storing my loot is not where my bed is at, just in case something bad does happen.

Oh yeah, game is on lowest difficulty, I have not increased loot percentage or anything like that, just keeping it casual.

Even before experimental released it was my suggestion to the devs to make Adventurer the new default but they felt that was premature. I hope that they will reconsider instead of continuing to lower the difficulty overall. If they make the easier level the default then we can keep the current difficulty pretty much as is. I think that Nomad is perfect for a team of normal players who have had some experience with A17. Scavenger and Adventurer are best suited for single players.

I urge the OP to try it again on lower difficulty and see if that fixes most of his issues. That would be very useful feedback for TFP. If an experienced player hates it on Nomad but likes it on Adventurer or Scavenger I’d like to know that.

hat would be very useful feedback for TFP. If an experienced player hates it on Nomad but likes it on Adventurer or Scavenger I’d like to know that.

I much prefer it on the lowest setting, encumbrance is still a PITA in my opinion, but I can live with it.

My 2 biggest problems right now with A 17 is food, better now in this new game, I don't know why I was getting barely any game to hunt in the old game, but I scored about 115 meat on day 1, before I even finished the starter quest. And encumbrance...

I've always carried wood frames with me, that's just common sense in 7D2D, but now I need to carry ramps too, so I don't have to stand up, or jump in a POI, because that really spikes the detection meter, or if you stand up and move around, blows it out of the water. And there are some POIs where you *HAVE* to do that to navigate.

I've gotten much better at detecting where the weak floors are at, and I've always looked up in POIs, (I've played lots of tabletop RPGs), also there was a fun nod to players not looking up in the game Secret World.

But if you are careful, methodical, and always have a plan, most of the time I can survive.

Adjust your gameplay maybe? They have changed a lot as you have observed but you are still trying to play the game like previous builds. By all means go into POI's with a stick if you want but it might not end well because POI's have become more dangerous now so accept those risks.

I don't even go into POI's and I am on day 14, level 10 and have the weapons and skill to deal with ferals but why risk that when there is plenty of loot outside POI's, on the street and in cars? I have weapons, ammo, iron tools, base surrounded by 10 rows of iron spikes and not even entered 1 POI.

I'll warn you now to pre-empt your next post, they changed the AI so your cookie cutter base where you sipped coffee IRL and waited for dawn may need modification now. Again, all about adjusting gameplay.

I must be some kind of monster. Day 10 I’m level 30 and by day 30 I’m level 65... I... i don’t know what im doing Lmao...

Even before experimental released it was my suggestion to the devs to make Adventurer the new default but they felt that was premature. I hope that they will reconsider instead of continuing to lower the difficulty overall. If they make the easier level the default then we can keep the current difficulty pretty much as is. I think that Nomad is perfect for a team of normal players who have had some experience with A17. Scavenger and Adventurer are best suited for single players.

I urge the OP to try it again on lower difficulty and see if that fixes most of his issues. That would be very useful feedback for TFP. If an experienced player hates it on Nomad but likes it on Adventurer or Scavenger I’d like to know that.

I love A17e even with the bugs it has. But perhaps I’m one of the few people who are just really ridiculously good at survival games? Before the first horse I’m generally level 30 and have a POI in the works with a few things here and there. I play on Nomad and when my friends joined my server they struggled. So maybe I really am just biased towards harder games? After getting the hang of A17 I have a system down and I thoroughly enjoy it. So personally I think scavenger is the best difficulty for normals. Everyone complained when I changed the difficulty from scavenger to nomad so from my experience, it definitely is. On a side note, daily hordes are great for me, so much free exp. and mining yields a decent amount when smashing surface boulders. Scavenging yields a pretty penny too. So idk how much balancing the exp needs.

It's an incredbly steep learning curve for people who were used to the original ways of survival on previous builds. A17 (experimental as it is) you gotta adapt to different means of living from day 1, gotta be real straight forward and there is pretty much no time for sitting around / taking in the views. It's. Find a house, fortify, arm yourself, defend. It's a lot more straight forward and to the point, less free exploring in my opinion due to the difficulty curves being tinkertoyed with.

I don't think you understand what experimental branch means. So I will explain. This is an experimental test branch for alpha 17 that we have to Opt into so we can play it. We play it to test it for bugs, to help the devs balance it better so eventually when it becomes stable and we no longer have to opt into it the game will be more stable and better balanced instead of the unbalanced, bug and glitches fill stage it's currently in. I don't expect you to understand this all so I will repeat it a bit shorter. This isn't stable like alpha 16.4 this is alpha 17 experimental branch.

No need to be a patronizing ass.

Archived