What do you do at night in Alpha 17?

Mainsil

Usually I'll craft what I need for the next day, arrows food ect. Then I'll look through the perks and see what i want to pick next. In the last Experimental version I mined down to bedrock just to see if I could do it. Mined out a big area where I set up 2 forges a workbench and some storage. Never had any zed dig for it and I was mining down there all night with a steel pickaxe. Was just going to use it for my real base , while I had a defensive base up top that I used for BM nights.

Except for those very foggy nights, you usually have a good portion of the night lit up by the moon, so visibility is not much of an issue when moving around at night.

That hasn't been my experience. Nights and even shadow has been SO dark that mid-day I can't see anything that's under a tree. I played with the gamma setting and I can trade "washed out everything and a white sky" for "I can see something moving in a shadow or at night". I"m honestly really surprised it's behaving like this. The new lighting system shouldn't be. Yet, there is is. a16's lighting seems to be working better for me and that makes not much sense. :(

I normally work on my base or gather resources close by the base.

However the most interesting thing was that the trader was 3.4Km away from my base and i went to go sell some loot and finish the meet the trader quest. i picked up a blue crossbow on day 3 when i ventured to him and then i ran out of food and water so I actually had to sneak through a large town on the way back at night with less than 50 health and stamina. i made it on the edge on the other side of the town by the time it was 4am. i went right through the middle, because there were more zombies on the outskirts. There were still several in the streets and patrolling around the buildings, but i got through. the town was so large and i had so little stamina, i just hit the town when it turned 2200. took forever to get through and i hardly ever stopped. only for a few seconds at a time to see which way a few zombies were heading and i did have to back up a few steps twice.

That hasn't been my experience. Nights and even shadow has been SO dark that mid-day I can't see anything that's under a tree. I played with the gamma setting and I can trade "washed out everything and a white sky" for "I can see something moving in a shadow or at night". I"m honestly really surprised it's behaving like this. The new lighting system shouldn't be. Yet, there is is. a16's lighting seems to be working better for me and that makes not much sense. :(

Hmm. Yeah this is tricky because of the many different setups ppl have with their monitors.

My monitor is actually relatively old and therefore weaker on the brightness front, yet I was able to calibrate it to my room's lighting well enough for most tasks.

Actually, wouldn't go too much into monitor/ gamma settings: I also have shadows turned off for performance reasons, that might be why I get more of that moonlight... so try that?

I do whatever I would do in the day time.

If you keep your stamina up you can outrun a large pack of zombies. Once they stop, go back and draw one away at a time and pick them off.

Don't look at roving packs of zombies as a threat. Look at them as bonus experience headed your way.

Or throw rocks above their heads.

Archived