Why did a level 1 "clear zombies" quest have 2 ferals at the end?

enragedcamel

I accepted a Level 1 Clear Zombies quest on the third day. It took me to a barn. I cleared my way through the fields and then into the building with moderate effort (moderate effort, as in, the proper amount of effort I would expect "level 1" quest to require).

When I climbed the ladder though, not one but TWO feral zombies that were previously sleeping at the end of a catwalk woke up and rushed me. Suffice it to say, I was dead within seconds.

Is this level of difficulty intended?

I think it is because POI do not follow game stage rules. I think the POI have fixed spawns depending on the POI etc. I'm no positive on this though.

That can't be true because I had cleared the same barn on day 1, and the top floor then only had one zombie, and it was just a regular runner. So I didn't expect two ferals.

It wasn't for a quest but I looted a barn on day 2 default settings and got 2 ferals at the top as well.

what was your gamestage? you can check it by openning the list of the players. Maybe you cheated your level to 200 or something like that

It wasn't for a quest but I looted a barn on day 2 default settings and got 2 ferals at the top as well.

I looted (the barn) on day 1. I was still lvl 1 (maybe 2?) had just played 20 mins :p 2 ferals at the top. Fortunately they fell down and couldn't get up ;)

/V -

I looted (the barn) on day 1. I was still lvl 1 (maybe 2?) had just played 20 mins :p 2 ferals at the top. Fortunately they fell down and couldn't get up ;)

/V -

Exactly the same happened to me in my first playthrough, it was hilarious, although i had to help them by shooting the Legs

Is it that barn with the wooden beam leading to the last platform with the loot? Because I remember running into ferals and cops there, while being quite low level as well. Maybe the spawn is a little overtuned for that section.

With that said, I think it's possible to raise your gamestage fast enough that you get ferals on day three, even in low level POIs. If you level a lot in the first few days, better be prepared to fight tougher zombies sooner rather than later..

Is it that barn with the wooden beam leading to the last platform with the loot? Because I remember running into ferals and cops there, while being quite low level as well. Maybe the spawn is a little overtuned for that section.

With that said, I think it's possible to raise your gamestage fast enough that you get ferals on day three, even in low level POIs. If you level a lot in the first few days, better be prepared to fight tougher zombies sooner rather than later..

Genuine question - what are you supposed to do EXCEPT level? just endlessly farm metal that you can't forge, or chop wood?

I have started 10 or more random maps since a17 came out, I've found 1 forge ever. I get the no trader bug on every random map. I've figured out how to use the console to find it, but doing this seem to bug out the zombies so much I usually make a new map (they become completely passive and barely move, turning debug on an off again fixes this for maybe 10 minuts then it happens again).

I'm loving the improved graphics, and I can see some benefits to the new perk system, but the fact that it means there's almost nothing you can do except scavenge and zombie kill for the first 10-15 levels is a big flaw for me.

There's a difference between killing zombies because they're in the way of your loot and seeking out every zombie you can, just to farm their XP. You don't have to kill that wandering horde that passed you by, or those burning ones shuffling through the burnt forest, but it's obviously tempting if you're looking for skill points. I'm not saying it's perfect, but you do have control. Myself, I don't mind upping my gamestage, I enjoy the challenge.

And if you only found 1 forge in 10 games, either you have the worst luck ever, or you're not looking in the right places/giving up too early. There's quite a few forge houses outside the towns, and though not all of them will work, a few do.

If you can't find a forge, you can choose to try and quickly level to 20. But looting for stuff to sell to the trader is viable too. Chances are you'll find iron tools that way, or maybe you can buy some off the trader. I've only had to deal with the stone axe for a day or two at most in my playthroughs of A17 so far.

The game still needs balancing, but it's not so impossible to enjoy as people make it out to be. Just don't assume you can do the same stuff as in A16 and prosper, and find out what does work instead.

I was clearing a random PoI on day 4 and got 2 ferals woken up at the same time, one of which was a soldier, in the attic. I was maybe level 14. I think the PoI's need some kind of indication that you're working up to higher level zombies, like maybe throwing in more of the tougher zombies the closer you get to the end. In the PoI I was clearing it was all just the normal 700xp zombies, then bam, two ferals on ya.

Sounds like a bug to me. That is not the intended outcome for a tier 1 quest on day three. You should report it in the bug reporting thread.

Had the same thing myself and it really put me off the quests. Did 2 before the first 7th day and both had bad results. Tier 1 quest with a feral in a tight bathroom at the end of the 1 story house clear. Second was a Tier 1 quest in a house and at the top 4 feral's poor out.

I've gotten them consistently on T1 fetch quests, the "growhouse", closet in the end, 1st time feral tourist, wasted.

2nd time, same POI type, I was doing with a friend, I say "watch there will be a feral" sure enough, feral soldier, 1 shotted us both.

Since the quests blown at that point I don't know if you don't need to go into that room at the end anyway and it's entirely my fault (because I tend to clear first, loot second) but you can bet your ass it isn't going to happen to me a 3rd time, so I'll pay more attention next time.

Archived