Water and sticking to A16 for now

Infyrin

To date, I'm surprised that there exists no way to craft something that'd make swimming in the water easier. No boats. No rafts. No snorkels, oxygen tanks, flippers, diving suits - nothing. I would've thought something of the like had have been made in the several years this game has stood but nothing. We can make a jeep now and a makeshift copter vehicle - cool. Alas, we've yet to see a boat made. The docking buildings and the water you have to swim in would be suitable for a small boat at the least.

I've read up on Alpha 17 and it's features but I think with the side tipping against it that I'll just wait for something better. As much as I'd love to be building jeeps and stuff, I haven't even made the minibike yet.

Wouldn't it also be cool to find abandoned boats floating in the water that suggested survivors tried swimming away? Could make to tense interactions with any zombies on board. I'm liking the idea of abandoned ships and it's filled with zombies, ships could serve as exclusive sources to gain things to build unique objects with like swimming equipment.

Water is tough in game development. This alpha seems to be a step in the right direction. It looks so much better (though I still hate how slow you swim underwater). A small boat or raft would be cool I suppose... but what I really wish for, when water improvement comes, are swamp biomes and really muddy areas. I would love to see zombies rise from waist-high mud with no ability to run or jump to get away. Of course this would create a whole new set of problems to look at... like, what is the benefit of going into that biome to begin with? (besides the traditional cattail harvesting that is way to overly used in survival games) I also hope for fish. Who survives in the wilderness without fish? (canned salmon doesn't count). Fishing with a pole would probably be cheesy, but spear fishing would go well with the feel of the game.

I am just glad we don't have to break down vehicles as soon as they touch water now. One of my top favorite quality of life improvements

I ran my minibike into a lake, thought it was gone because it was so far down... made a chest, dropped bedroll, undressed and to my surprise I hopped on the minibike a drove it right out lmao. It was great and my stream was laughing their butts off haha

I ran my minibike into a lake, thought it was gone because it was so far down... made a chest, dropped bedroll, undressed and to my surprise I hopped on the minibike a drove it right out lmao. It was great and my stream was laughing their butts off haha

The funny thing is:

As long as your camera stays above water you breath air.

Yes, that means you can ride a bike on the ground of a lake and never drown (vehicles allow you to get a birdseye view from above water).

This will probably get fixed later on. xD

• 3 months later...
Definitely looking forward to this. Plus equipping some scuba tanks and diving down to a sunken POI. :-)

Hawk,

The thread I put up in the steam forum re: scuba diving gear has overwhelming support for this concept—I believe you also responded to it positively. Unfortunately, nobody seems to be responding here in the official forum. I've noticed that about a lot of threads here: lots of people read them but nobody responds.

@MadMole

"We made a raft already, but ran out of time to get it in. Water probably needs overhauled and optimized/fixed first."

Solution: Some people have mentioned that water physics would be a problem for this concept; however, I do not believe this to be the case. I am not proposing any type of base building or digging underwater by players—which disrupts the water blocks; only POIs that are part of the generated maps (and are lootable). I believe you already have the ability to do this based on the fact that airdrops land in water all the time and do not disrupt the water blocks—even though the airdrop is a moving object. The POIs would be static. I assume you could code the POIs the same way you code airdrops to prevent water block disruption—including boats. In fact, you could code everything in & around the underwater POIs as indestructable, if necessary (like the trader blocks). There's almost always a solution or workaround & there's also plenty of water (lakes) on most maps (once A17 catches up to A16 maps), so why not use lakes as something to explore & loot from instead of just a barrier or mere decoration?

- - - Updated - - -

We made a raft already, but ran out of time to get it in. Water probably needs overhauled and optimized/fixed first.

Solution: Some people have mentioned that water physics would be a problem for this concept; however, I do not believe this to be the case. I am not proposing any type of base building or digging underwater by players—which disrupts the water blocks; only POIs that are part of the generated maps (and are lootable). I believe you already have the ability to do this based on the fact that airdrops land in water all the time and do not disrupt the water blocks—even though the airdrop is a moving object. The POIs would be static. I assume you could code the POIs the same way you code airdrops to prevent water block disruption—including boats. In fact, you could code everything in & around the underwater POIs as indestructable, if necessary (like the trader blocks). There's almost always a solution or workaround & there's also plenty of water (lakes) on most maps (once A17 catches up to A16 maps), so why not use lakes as something to explore & loot from instead of just a barrier or mere decoration?

NOTE: I already proposed "scuba diving" gear in another thread. It's a fully developed concept, not just "an idea." All the work has been done for you except the coding. Unfortunately, not many people leave responses in the official forum—I've noticed this on most posts. However, this concept has received overwhelming support in the steam forum. Many people want to see it implemented into the game.

I've read up on Alpha 17 and it's features but I think with the side tipping against it that I'll just wait for something better.

I don't know what you mean by "the side," but lots of us love A17. I'd recommend trying it yourself, with an OPEN MIND and not just other peoples' complaints, and try it yourself :)

Water is now so small we really don't need anything to cross it anymore. After looking at madmole's preview of the new lakes and streams, that seems to still be the case in the new rwg they are working on. Smaller water repositories means we don't really need any way to cross it (other than bridges over streams) and we don't really need underwater exploration.

I'd rather see smaller water, streams, and bridges than underwater exploration. I have subnautica for that.

Boats? Yes, would be nice.

Fishing in the water? Yes, also nice, but would need to be balanced towards rare rather than a regular supply.

Water though is not the best just now and I'd like to see it being given some optimisation and logic improvements. It's a difficult task though and will likely take some time - an A18+ situation rather than A17.x one.

However, sticking to A16 because of that lack of boats seems really odd. Are you seriously saying you don't want to take advantage of all the improvements in A17 simply because it hasn't implemented something that isn't implemented in A16 anyway. People may argue over the perks/skills tree and how it's changed in A17 but the graphical environment is just so much nicer it seems bizarre to deny yourself that. The A17 AI, while much maligned, is also better than A16.

I'll be honest, I've gone back to A16 just to check how it performed and I was thoroughly bored within an hour or two as there wasn't the challenge A17 offers.

I'll be honest, I've gone back to A16 just to check how it performed and I was thoroughly bored within an hour or two as there wasn't the challenge A17 offers.

But you could watch your skill bars advancing. Reportedly....tons of fun.

So here's the thing, I actually think A16 got the skills/perks/progression thing pretty much on the button. It had been a fairly gradual evolution to that point from the previous alpha builds. I sort of see why the TFP moved the way they did with A17, and while I'm not a fan of it I'm not a hater either. Like most, you just...

LZyoQblm.jpg

Got to say the whole hate train surrounding the A17 skills/perks/progression was a bit over the top at times. Prams emptied, toys everywhere. That said, TFP have rolled back on some of it so maybe we'll see a more mature implementation for A18.

Look, a16 with zombie numbers bumped up 4x, lethal headshots, and reduced zombie block damage is a ton of fun *and* exciting as long as you're not trying to exploit the AI. (Which nobody in my group does because it's not fun.)

In a17, bumping up zombie numbers is complete suicide and destroys your base no matter your block damage settings, due to all zombies pathing to weakpoints and then boosting eachother's damage.

Either way, a16 had what I and others think was a great balance between LBD, perks, looting, schematics, etc. It might not have been as challenging as a17, but that was mostly due to wonky AI and not the core design of the game's systems.

Not to mention a16 had a fairly unpredictable progression path which *was* tons of fun, whereas a17 has a completely predictable progression path which is not.

(In my opinion of course.)

Look, a16 with zombie numbers bumped up 4x, lethal headshots, and reduced zombie block damage is a ton of fun *and* exciting as long as you're not trying to exploit the AI. (Which nobody in my group does because it's not fun.)

In a17, bumping up zombie numbers is complete suicide and destroys your base no matter your block damage settings, due to all zombies pathing to weakpoints and then boosting eachother's damage.

Either way, a16 had what I and others think was a great balance between LBD, perks, looting, schematics, etc. It might not have been as challenging as a17, but that was mostly due to wonky AI and not the core design of the game's systems.

Not to mention a16 had a fairly unpredictable progression path which *was* tons of fun, whereas a17 has a completely predictable progression path which is not.

(In my opinion of course.)

You can't bump up zombies anymore, except for blood moon. You can only bump up difficulty.

And if you build a good base (not cheesing the mechanics, just a good, well-planned base) then you can bump both up.

You don´t seem to realize that there is a whole genre for this. Called idle clicker. With people paying a LOT of money for boosts (There is one that offers a 50€ boost package and people buy it) . So they can click more often. And that´s it. You can click more often and watch a bar advancing faster. Literally nothing else happens.

It´s prooven that people like numbers that are advancing. You are making fun of something that is absolutly normal. Good job.

And even tough there is more challenge in A17 there is less fun compared to A16. Having more challenge in a game doesn´t automatically mean it´s a better and more fun game.

There are modlets that let you increase Z numbers, if you don't want to change the files yourself.

Also, you can decrease Z health, damage, add damage detriments against specific block types or could simply increase block durability. There is a lot that you can modify to your hearts contents.

Also, i think Roland specifically meant idle clickers ;-)

Archived