Too much zombies inside houses?

toores

I did some testing in a world without zombies and the new POIs are awesome!

It got me thinking though. I've never actually enjoyed exploring a single new POIs in A17 yet. All the POIs are so full of zombies I hardly notice the world. I just fight and loot and when I'm done the house is swiss cheese from the dosens of zombies. Step in a room an it starts raining them.

I would love if there would be fewer zombies in some houses. I would become so much more immersed in the world. Jump scares would be more memorable :)

I would propose varying the number of zombies in a house. Some houses would have lots of zombies, some would have only a few, some would have no zombies at all - like a hunted house. Some houses could have 1 or 2 volumes that have more zombies while the rest makes you think it is a walk in the park. The houses with no or little zombies could have less loot at the end but still some for the exploration fun.

On the same note, I would skip half the wandering hordes and just add some more of them to the world. At the moment it's like a free lunch of xp you have to collect not to miss out.

The problem is that the number of zombies in POIs and wandering hordes are not properly tied to game stage. When a single level 5 player with a game stage of 10 encounters the same number of zombies as a group of 4 players at level 50 and combined game stage of 300, you realize something is not right. The only thing game stage changes is type of zombies, not the numbers from what I have been able to tell.

Hopefully that gets addressed before a stable beta is released to the public.

Zombies in POI's change, but the number of spawn points doesn't.

I walked into a barn and cleared it and it was full of the normal fare, sans a pair of cops in the upper portions. I came back about 20 days later, and the first floor had two cops and an irradiated cop.. so gamestage is a consideration. I'm also getting Wolf spawns instead of buzzards in the most peculiar places.

I would propose varying the number of zombies in a house. Some houses would have lots of zombies, some would have only a few, some would have no zombies at all - like a hunted house. Some houses could have 1 or 2 volumes that have more zombies while the rest makes you think it is a walk in the park. The houses with no or little zombies could have less loot at the end but still some for the exploration fun.

Randomness is always spicy - I agree. Zombie exp will come more in line with other xp sources though.

Yes, I too think there are quite a number of zeds in virtually every house/poi. I would rather see them scaled with GameStage, Character Level and something to do with what area 'you're in' - something scaling them back a bit. Walking into that barn and then finding a cop at the top isn't that enjoyable lol It can make some hilarious fun making at the expense of someone lol

There is a lot in most buildings, Even the small buildings seem to have more than what I would assume is normal. If theres anything normal about zombies in the first place.

But if you play it smart, you can clear it pretty easily. Bang on the walls, wake em up, lead them outside. Their pathing + stones makes it doable.

There are some really cool POI's to check out now, I hope you manage some, its worth it for the adventure.

+1

I agree with the number of z is random.

The situation is more tense if you do not know if there is someone or not.

If you know in advance that there is a lot, simply knock on the door and expect them to come out.

Imagine, you enter a house, you turn around and there is nobody,

but maybe nobody respawn,

or maybe only one appears, or do it 14,

Or maybe when open last door Boe, his wife, and their two dogs wake up...

That is tension.

And I think in this case that the gamestage should not determine the number of deaths, there must be risk when entering anywhere.

Randomness is always spicy - I agree. Zombie exp will come more in line with other xp sources though.

All the better. I would not need to kill every zombie I see and every once in a while I would encounter an empty house and just have this immersive exploration experience!

Yes, I too think there are quite a number of zeds in virtually every house/poi. I would rather see them scaled with GameStage, Character Level and something to do with what area 'you're in' - something scaling them back a bit. Walking into that barn and then finding a cop at the top isn't that enjoyable lol It can make some hilarious fun making at the expense of someone lol

Day 9, I had a regular cop, a feral soldier and a radiated feral cowboy in a barn.

I can't imagine what weapons and armor would I need to ivestigate some huge POIs. At that point my ony option was cloth armor which is not worth it mobility wise.

Which build are you basing your experiences on? The sleeper population seems to have been significantly decreased in the latest build from the one before that to the point where I think it's OK now while last week it was way too high.

Don't agree with basing on gamestage because then it can be exploited, simply don't kill anything and run around looting a whole town without resistance. I believe being able to loot POI's is part of progression, you shouldn't be able to do it as a fresh spawn.

I have no issue with the numbers, the only thing I find unfair is when a bunch of dogs are thrown at you inside a house. In early game, it is a death sentence, and I fail to accept the suggestion not to go into houses before I have guns and armor and 150 health.

I fail to accept the suggestion not to go into houses before I have guns and armor and 150 health.

If you are referring to my comment, there is a big difference between fresh spawn and guns, armor and 150hp and that is certainly not what I meant.

Dogs have a pretty short leash now so running 2-3 seconds in any direction breaks their chase. If you are being caught in a POI with them or any Z for that matter it's the strategy you are using. Always have an out before you enter and situational awareness is key in survival games. You get a lot better at these games when you stop blaming the game and start analysing your mistakes.

I have no issue with the numbers, the only thing I find unfair is when a bunch of dogs are thrown at you inside a house. In early game, it is a death sentence, and I fail to accept the suggestion not to go into houses before I have guns and armor and 150 health.

Havent had issues with Dogs so far. Almost always find a huntingrifle with a few shots and 1 HS is sufficient to kill it at nomad diff.

If you are referring to my comment, there is a big difference between fresh spawn and guns, armor and 150hp and that is certainly not what I meant.
It is a common opinion, I've been told that the Joel himself said you should stick to looting garages in the early game. No can do, also because once you geared up to some degree, vanilla provides no challenge anymore. Maybe zombie bears would be a problem, but a couple of radiated feral wights are none.

Dogs have a pretty short leash now so running 2-3 seconds in any direction breaks their chase.
Yeah, but inside a house you might not be able to run anywhere, and I had it twice that dogs were thrown at me after I killed a bunch of zombies, so my stamina was already low.

If you are being caught in a POI with them or any Z for that matter it's the strategy you are using. Always have an out before you enter and situational awareness is key in survival games. You get a lot better at these games when you stop blaming the game and start analysing your mistakes.
Certainly, I could apply strategies to surive, but I don't want to, because that's no fun for me. Always, for example, making sure that you have at least 50% stamina, that is no fun for me. It's certainly agreeable if that is how you like to play, I'm much of a gunz-blazing type of player and like to rely on rection and split-second-decisions, and not so much on larger strategies. So I would like at least a warning that something fast is in a building. If dogs are in tier III quests or something, that's ok, but not as a potential spawn in pretty much every building.

Dunno about the number of Zs in a208, last week i cleared a big house and on another floor above (big holes in the ceiling) there were zombies next to zombies gaping down, i think all possible sleeper spots taken. Didn't notice me so i killed them one at a time.

Also haven't had issues with dogs, although with wolves i did once. Still, i chose bad strategy for taking them on and wasn't cautious.

It's a tough one. On one hand, it needs to be a challenge. On the other hand, it can be ridiculous.

You go into a POI, a 3 bedroom house. You might expect 2 parents, 2 grown kids. Maybe an uncle living in the shed.

Instead you for 5 zombies in the basement, 2 in the attic, 3 in the shed, and another 10-15 in the rooms/closets.

When you start hitting 20, maybe 30 zombies in a house that should maybe have 5, you start wondering where all these zombies come from? Do they reproduce somehow? Was there a convention in town (every town) when the outbreak happened so there's actually not 200 people living in this small town but 5000 including the visitors?

I open the door to a bedroom and 3 zombies come out. I'd be fine with 1. But 3? Sure one was a cheerleader, a nurse and a business man, but ... well, maybe it was a convention in town I suppose :p

Now coming to gamestage/difficulty. Having POI's of varying difficulty is fine. I find it a bit hard to tell which are which, when day 1, 20 mins into the game I run into the barn and 2 ferals are there at the top floor. Fortunately they dumbly pathed and ran off the platform and I was safe, but otherwise I'd be totally wasted. But the barn had not just 2 boars, but 10 zombies. And the 2 ferals.

Some balancing I think is needed :) If I get ferals day 1, with hardly any equipment, I worry for day 10 when I have a reinforced club and get cops (who are not there to take me to a cozy jail :p

/V -

Certainly, I could apply strategies to surive, but I don't want to, because that's no fun for me. Always, for example, making sure that you have at least 50% stamina, that is no fun for me. It's certainly agreeable if that is how you like to play, I'm much of a gunz-blazing type of player and like to rely on rection and split-second-decisions, and not so much on larger strategies.

This doesn't make sense to me. Every game requires strategy. Boxing and MMA fighting require strategy of some sort. Even a game like GTA (in which just being "gunz-blazing" is viable) requires some strategy if you want to survive.

Basically, you're saying that you don't want to survive.

As I understand it there are the normal POIs and the "Dungeon" POIs. I like the POIs as they are, but agree that the non dungeon POIs could be handled a little different. If the Dungeon POIs had some kind of RED X painted on the door - or INFECTED etc newer players would know that this building isn't easy pickings for beginnings.

The problem is that the number of zombies in POIs and wandering hordes are not properly tied to game stage. When a single level 5 player with a game stage of 10 encounters the same number of zombies as a group of 4 players at level 50 and combined game stage of 300, you realize something is not right.

The gamestage defines the type of zombies the player encounters. Higher gamestage means more ferals and cops and irradiated, etc. The amount of zombies doesn't actually make a big difference early game, if they're all standard zeds.

I do like the idea of randomness to how many are in the PoI's, though.

99% of the time the normal zombies are a nothing (in death trap POI's they can be a problem). Just free experience.

It's almost always the fast moving zombies that will kill you.

20 fast moving zombies vs 1 player is really bad. If you die, they might stay around your backpack, you're screwed.

20 fast moving zombies vs 4 players is much easier to handle, even if three players die, their backpacks will be recovered.

Which build are you basing your experiences on? The sleeper population seems to have been significantly decreased in the latest build from the one before that to the point where I think it's OK now while last week it was way too high.

I did a clean wipe when 208 came and started a new world. Still loads of zombies.

This doesn't make sense to me. Every game requires strategy. Boxing and MMA fighting require strategy of some sort. Even a game like GTA (in which just being "gunz-blazing" is viable) requires some strategy if you want to survive.

Basically, you're saying that you don't want to survive.

Nah, I'm saying that it's only the dog's existance that would require me to make up larger strategies. I can deal with zombies, even running ones, with smaller strategies, like having a bandage ready, having aiming and dodging skills. Always being prepared for a bunch of dogs jumping me inside a building - it's possible, but I don't enjoy it.

Edit: A large issue actually is the framerate. I get ~ 30 inside houses, and dogs move fairly unpredictable. Then they attack you 3 times or so, and a few seconds later you bled out. But all I'm doing about it is reducing their entity damge to 5. Might be a little low, but it's still pretty scary when you encounter dogs indoors.

As I understand it there are the normal POIs and the "Dungeon" POIs. I like the POIs as they are, but agree that the non dungeon POIs could be handled a little different. If the Dungeon POIs had some kind of RED X painted on the door - or INFECTED etc newer players would know that this building isn't easy pickings for beginnings.

I could live with that, would be ncie to newer players. I know better because of the spikes and traps, but that's because I've been playing forever. Granted, once you learn you learn.

Archived