Death Penalty Poll

Roland

Death Penalty Poll  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty Poll

• The penalty is fine. The 60 minute timer was best.
    • The penalty is fine. The 30 minute timer is best.
    • The penalty is fine but for no longer than 15 minutes.
    • This penalty should be removed. I'll still play but it's not fun.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll mod it out.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll revert to A16
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll uninstall it.
    • Other. Explain below.

I knew that didn't look like, I even looked it up before I posted but said screw it, you got my drift. I hate homophones/heterographs. They're all just homonyms to me. :D

No worries. I do that sometimes too. I used to always call that one town, Tuckson, Arizona.

It should be an option. As should so many other things with this game.

'Just mod it' is not an answer for everyone.

Well, it HAS to be. There's literally THOUSANDS of configurable settings in the XML files. In fact, I'd say well over TEN THOUSAND.

Do you want to sort through a 10,000+ line long in-game options screen? Do you want TFP spending the next 6 months building that?

The Options screen in game will present a small number of MAJOR options. Everything else (that can be) will be in the XML's for those players wishing to spend the time (and it's literally almost no time at all) to further tweak the game settings.

The telling stat is not who likes or dislikes the penalty it is who would not play A17 at all because of it either by reverting to a previous version or uninstalling the game altogether. Everyone else can stomach it and continue to play and by hating it they will try all the more to be careful when death is on the line. So far only 2.3% say they dislike it so much they'll stop playing. Modders don't count because they're willing to change the game however they wish and they will continue to play A17 modded.

Even if this forum doesn't accurately reflect the community, 2.3% isn't going to change that much. If you know more people who will quit over this feature then get them on to vote.

I think that’s a dumb way to measure things. The fact that I’m reasonable and willing to mod things I dislike shouldn’t mean that TFP should ignore my opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it HAS to be. There's literally THOUSANDS of configurable settings in the XML files. In fact, I'd say well over TEN THOUSAND.

Do you want to sort through a 10,000+ line long in-game options screen? Do you want TFP spending the next 6 months building that?

The Options screen in game will present a small number of MAJOR options. Everything else (that can be) will be in the XML's for those players wishing to spend the time (and it's literally almost no time at all) to further tweak the game settings.

This is a major option because the game is not fun with the death penalty in it.

This is a major option because the game is not fun with the death penalty in it.

The problem Jamey is that there's a SLEW of mechanics considered "major" by various parts of the community. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Pimps will NEVER add it as an in-game option, they could well decide to, but it's something of a slippery slope, because how do you decide which options to put into the in-game UI, and which not to, given that there are so many.

A lot of people are quite happy to overwrite a single line in a single (basically) text file to change one number to their liking. so while an in-game option MAY happen, spending 15 seconds changing it yourself, isn't asking much until (if ever) its in the in game options screen.

An older pic someone made that I edited page numbers on....still applies though lol...

kDAeB6M.jpg

I play with a group of guys who range from fairly hardcore survival gamers to super casual (in 7DtD terms). For those on the casual end of the spectrum, this death penalty will be a rage quit and never play again.

That's a pretty common theme. The claim that "certain other people" will rage quit.

The penalty is fine as long as it can be mitigated, aka, lowered incrementally by gaining exp/killing zombies.

That's already implemented.

If you go kill zombies for only 15 minutes, the penalty is already only 1/2 as severe both in duration and severity.

The problem Jamey is that there's a SLEW of mechanics considered "major" by various parts of the community. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Pimps will NEVER add it as an in-game option, they could well decide to, but it's something of a slippery slope, because how do you decide which options to put into the in-game UI, and which not to, given that there are so many.

A lot of people are quite happy to overwrite a single line in a single (basically) text file to change one number to their liking. so while an in-game option MAY happen, spending 15 seconds changing it yourself, isn't asking much until (if ever) its in the in game options screen.

It should be a server option, because it's a very bad thing to have in PVP servers and a lot of people just don't want it at all. Have you seen the posts about "girlfriend" can't play now? You're ♥♥♥♥ blocking these guys. That's all the reason you need.

Just let the server owner type in a "0" "5" or "15" or "30" or "60" the same as they do everything else.

The people willing to mod anything are in the vast minority when it comes to players.

- - - Updated - - -

That's a pretty common theme. The claim that "certain other people" will rage quit.

That's already implemented.

If you go kill zombies for only 15 minutes, the penalty is already only 1/2 as severe both in duration and severity.

Ah. I posted a few pages ago. Did you remove it for player kills?

It should be a server option, because it's a very bad thing to have in PVP servers and a lot of people just don't want it at all. Have you seen the posts about "girlfriend" can't play now? You're ♥♥♥♥ blocking these guys. That's all the reason you need.

Just let the server owner type in a "0" "5" or "15" or "30" or "60" the same as they do everything else.

The people willing to mod anything are in the vast minority when it comes to players.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. I posted a few pages ago. Did you remove it for player kills?

Unless something has changed, if the server owner mods the number, the clients will use THAT number, not any locally set one.

Therefore, your argument would apply only if the server owner still didn't know how to edit what is basically a text file.............

It’s a pretty common fact that people who hang out in video game forums are more into the game than their friends who are not paying attention to those forums.

I’m going to be blunt here:

I cannot think of a less fun and more annoying way to implement a death penalty in a video game than removing skills from your character for an extended period of time. I will not play the game with this death penalty, which means that I will have to mod it it for the time being.

If I play this game with my friends, I will have to deal with modding it out and making sure this works correctly. I don’t want to deal with the pain in the ass of modding the game and playing IT when modding goes wrong, so I’d prefer that this be added as a setting so that I don’t have to mod it out.

Odds are, I will play A17 single player and not with my friends because I don’t want to deal with hosting a modded game. Once again, the only reason I say this is because I cannot think of a less fun and more annoying death penalty than what has been implemented.

Judging by the poll, there are 3.5% people that will. That is, of course, if they came back to the forums to vote.

24 hour peak player counts are down ~9,000 from Sunday.

Since server options are changed via xml, it's not a stretch for them to change the same number but in a different xml.

Since server options are changed via xml, it's not a stretch for them to change the same number but in a different xml.

Yea it is. Not for you. But it is for anyone that hasn't modded. Some of the server options (loot respawn for example) is on the start server screen aren't they?

Also, you can't tell what the value is unless you join a server and die.

It’s a pretty common fact that people who hang out in video game forums are more into the game than their friends who are not paying attention to those forums.

I’m going to be blunt here:

I cannot think of a less fun and more annoying way to implement a death penalty in a video game than removing skills from your character for an extended period of time. I will not play the game with this death penalty, which means that I will have to mod it it for the time being.

If I play this game with my friends, I will have to deal with modding it out and making sure this works correctly. I don’t want to deal with the pain in the ass of modding the game and playing IT when modding goes wrong, so I’d prefer that this be added as a setting so that I don’t have to mod it out.

Odds are, I will play A17 single player and not with my friends because I don’t want to deal with hosting a modded game. Once again, the only reason I say this is because I cannot think of a less fun and more annoying death penalty than what has been implemented.

Finally someone around here is willing to be blunt about their dislike of the penalty. The ball is in TFP's court now.

Yea it is. Not for you. But it is for anyone that hasn't modded. Some of the server options (loot respawn for example) is on the start server screen aren't they?

Also, you can't tell what the value is unless you join a server and die.

No, there is no actual start server screen. I dunno about 3rd party hosts and what they have, but the regular game requires a server admin to edit an xml.

Judging by the poll, there are 3.5% people that will. That is, of course, if they came back to the forums to vote.

24 hour peak player counts are down ~9,000 from Sunday.

I'm just amazed the count reached 27,000 over the weekend. The highest it ever reached during the A16 experimental was 21,000. Still have a few more weekends to go at the earliest before stable. Should be interesting to see whether the numbers stay solid or if they continue to decline through each weekend.

No, there is no actual start server screen. I dunno about 3rd party hosts and what they have, but the regular game requires a server admin to edit an xml.

Start/New Game/Multiplayer Tab

Put it right there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just amazed the count reached 27,000 over the weekend. The highest it ever reached during the A16 experimental was 21,000. Still have a few more weekends to go at the earliest before stable. Should be interesting to see whether the numbers stay solid or if they continue to decline through each weekend.

I expected more than 27,000, since it was ~32,000 during A16 stable + holiday + several days of $9 sales. I just wish we could actually know the % of 27,000 that were actually playing A17e.

A drop of ~1/3rd from a holiday weekend to mid-week may not be crazy, particularly due to those special circumstances. I bet there was a lot of people that bought it, played for 2 hours, and will never touch it again. (Not saying that's unique to this game).

Archived