Death Penalty Poll

Roland

Death Penalty Poll  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty Poll

• The penalty is fine. The 60 minute timer was best.
    • The penalty is fine. The 30 minute timer is best.
    • The penalty is fine but for no longer than 15 minutes.
    • This penalty should be removed. I'll still play but it's not fun.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll mod it out.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll revert to A16
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll uninstall it.
    • Other. Explain below.

Dying is already a punishment in itself in 7DTD, as you have to respawn at another location which can be fairly grave depending on situation.

Alas, it is NOT a punishment to a great many people. In fact, to them, it is the cure to what is currently ailing them. I don't say this because I think what they choose to do affects me and my own gaming. I say it because it isn't surprising that TFP would want to close exploits where they find them.

I would say that is an annoyance that is increased if you've not planned ahead rather than a punishment. Completely losing your gear upon death would be a punishment.

All, imo, of course.

Which begs the question: Who selects "Delete all on death" as an option? I doubt very many. Those who would choose that probably just start over upon death anyway.

Penalties are not things to be chosen by the players they are things to be imposed by the rules of the game.

Which begs the question: Who selects "Delete all on death" as an option? I doubt very many. Those who would choose that probably just start over upon death anyway.

I take the point. While I'm like you and wonder who would choose the "delete all" option, but given enough traction with the streamers I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of "max difficulty/permadeath" runs becoming quite common - so it's good that there is that option at all.

Penalties are not things to be chosen by the players they are things to be imposed by the rules of the game.

Now, you see, the mischievous amongst us might suggest the low FPS is currently a penalty that is applied to all of us regardless of setting.. ;)

The death penalty is totally fine, however the fact that we can't say bring health and stamina up to 80-90% to remove the buff is what I find annoying. There isn't anything we as a player can do to mitigate it's impact on our game time, this is what I don't care for. Every other debuff in the game the player can choose to remove through other means, except this one.

Would love to see a change for this.

I'm perfectly happy with the penalty being cut to 30 minutes. That said, my vote would be for the 60 minute duration BUT with each zombie kill reducing the duration by a minute or two. This gives the player an incentive (albeit at some risk) to seek revenge.

Alternately, any earned xp could reduce the duration, so the only way the penalty would last a full hour would be if you literally sat in your base doing nothing.

I haven't looked closely - do the penalties remain at full effect until the timer runs out, or do they fade over time? If they faded over time, it would also make a 60 minute timer less painful.

While I think a penalty system is neccesary and i prefer this one over the old "wellness" penalty, the time reduction to only 30 mins and the increase of despawn time on the player's bag has more sense. Having to choose between get back your stuff quickly with reduced abilites or loose it permanently was a bit unfair, specially if you died far from your bedroll.

I personally hate when it happens (death and realization a debuff is about to happen) but.... It forces me to play more careful (and hopefully learn from my mistake). Example: I made the mistake of entering a POI, under-prepared, and in close quarters (i'm a bow person, not so much melee). Instead of entering, well prepared for one, secondly i didn't leave myself with room to shoot safely (I should of drawn them out type scenario). I went in and got pounced on then surrounded and the end result = dead..LOL. Sometimes you can't avoid certain circumstances but, for me, it ultimately makes me play 'smarter'. So yes, having a penalty makes a death count for more than just having to go back for your bag &/or toolbelt and I like it. 30 minutes though.. that hour long made things dragggggg and frustrated me.

I would say that is an annoyance that is increased if you've not planned ahead rather than a punishment. Completely losing your gear upon death would be a punishment.

All, imo, of course.

Indeed that is a very subjective opinion. But let me ask, then what is the point of it if not meant as punishment? If that is the case why not completely remove it. To me your logic is flawed.

The death penalty is totally fine, however the fact that we can't say bring health and stamina up to 80-90% to remove the buff is what I find annoying. There isn't anything we as a player can do to mitigate it's impact on our game time, this is what I don't care for. Every other debuff in the game the player can choose to remove through other means, except this one.

Would love to see a change for this.

I don't think that's true. Put on a pair of nerd glasses, read the right magazine, and drink the right brew and your intelligence will be mostly recovered during the penalty time. All those magazines that grant temporary buffs to attributes and particular perks can be saved in a safe place for those times you die and then desire a boost during the penalty time. They won't completely remove it but they will, as you say, mitigate it's full effects upon you.

I take the point. While I'm like you and wonder who would choose the "delete all" option, but given enough traction with the streamers I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of "max difficulty/permadeath" runs becoming quite common - so it's good that there is that option at all.

And that is why this should be optional also.

As of now only 2.5% of respondents hate the penalty so much that they would stop playing A17. Not too bad. I'm sure reducing it to 30 minutes helped with that.

Actually, it's 2.52% Roland, let's not underestimate it... hehe. ;-)

But seriously, there's approximately 1 in 40 of the playerbase that could remedy their problem with a very simple XML edit.

And to anyone reading this who might be inclined to think that a flippant remark, it's not intended that way. XML editing is really no more complicated than editing a plain text file, with a few simple formatting rules. The installed-on-every-Wnidows-PC-Notepad can easily do it, and if you install Notepad++ (a free program), it'll even highlight the formatting for you.

You could, with either program, edit the penalty down to 1 second, which must surely be short enough for anyone.

Alas, it is NOT a punishment to a great many people. In fact, to them, it is the cure to what is currently ailing them. I don't say this because I think what they choose to do affects me and my own gaming. I say it because it isn't surprising that TFP would want to close exploits where they find them.

Indeed, and that really matters in PvP. Hence why I really think it should be an optional variable or depend on difficulty rating.

i would like a really simple system

Besides the Logout safe make a Clone safe system.

The nude character can be safed and restored.

Restoring a clone is free, but to make a Backup you need to go to a Laboratory/trader and you have to pay for it.

First time 1000 Credits and for each additional Backup the pice raise by x10

3 max 4 Character avegames in a range of 300 level is in my opinion the best balance between punishements for dying and complete Death is Death

(i would backup arround 40, 120, 230)

As of now only 2.5% of respondents hate the penalty so much that they would stop playing A17. Not too bad. I'm sure reducing it to 30 minutes helped with that.

Quite so. But the interesting thing is how those who want the penalty in are divided. 1/4 wants it at 60min, 1/2 wants it at 30 min and 1/4 at 15 min. What does THAT tell you?

Its all time the same fail btw.

Make a Hard debuff to punish people and they encumber

If you would make a "Survival" buff instead, that start 1 hour after the last death and stays until next death.

Well people would feel far less offended. (Even if it would be the same)

In this case its hard to realize, because the Debuff removes nearly everything, no way to move that all to a Buff. But maybe i oversee a possibility

But this "law" i speak here about i miss at the Difficulty and Zombie Digging part too.

Its Much better to make things easy and allow to make them harder as the other way arround

In a singleplayer game I dont even see a reason why the backpack would have to despawn at all.

Just keep it in the game until someone picks it up....

The timer doesn't operate when the chunk isn't loaded so in SP it practically is forever. If you can't get to your backpack within an hour of entering the same chunk....

The timer doesn't operate when the chunk isn't loaded so in SP it practically is forever. If you can't get to your backpack within an hour of entering the same chunk....

Ok, that might be the mechanic of when the timer will start. (proximity)

But why despawn the backpack at all. There is no real gameplay benefit to it. And a few backpacks are not resource hogs. They are really simple models and a few object references.

I just think it needs to be reworked. Seems kinda messed up to punish someone's ability to fight when they obviously just failed at that exact thing. With wellness not being a stat anymore, I'm not even really sure what else could be done to penalize death. For me, it won't be a huge deal as I don't die very often, but I play with some other people that die on a regular basis. I feel really bad for them.

Archived