Death Penalty Poll

Roland

Death Penalty Poll  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty Poll

• The penalty is fine. The 60 minute timer was best.
    • The penalty is fine. The 30 minute timer is best.
    • The penalty is fine but for no longer than 15 minutes.
    • This penalty should be removed. I'll still play but it's not fun.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll mod it out.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll revert to A16
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll uninstall it.
    • Other. Explain below.

I voted the penalty is fine for 30 minutes. I actually like the idea of the penalty and I like the vulnerability it reintroduces to a character. You have to be careful while "sick" to keep from dying again while weaker. I don't buy into the idea of going AFK or sitting in the base doing nothing waiting for the timer to empty just because your actions will be suboptimal during that time. Go out and do stuff while your weak. Knowing you are vulnerable and a dog pack could show up is what makes it scary. I would be perfectly happy with 60 minutes like it was but 30 is still a sting and makes others happy so cool.

I agree Roland. Understand the VAST majority of players do not frequent this forum. Further, people who are intelligent, understand that this game is not finished. So after every new version there will be changes.

I have owned a server for a few years now. Everyone that plays realizes the above and also likes the new changes. The game takes a little longer to get your character and skills leveled up which is a GREAT change. In previous versions you could become basically invincible way to quickly then it was boring.

I found it frustrating mainly because there's already a penalty for death: the risk of losing your backpack. I also think there's something fundamentally off about making the game much harder for the individuals already more likely to find the difficulty unmanageable--if you're dying that much, you're probably not very good. Increasing the difficulty for failure seems like a way to turn off less experienced players and make the game less accessible.

Yes to backpack, but it seems the newest patch fixed that. It is one hour now and only if you are near the bag!! So if you die far away from your respawn point you don't need to run out in haste, you don't have a huge disadvantage just because of the location of your death

About dying often: Your game stage is lower after dying so that actually decreases the difficulty.

Voted -Other-

The 60min timer is fine imo.

If they want to remove it sooner, then have them complete a task to do so.

Give a personal fetch or dig quest that they can do, to obtain an item to remove it.

Heck, the item could be used to establish an in-game market on PvP servers.

Some players die > collect the item > let the timer run out > save the item and sell it to other players.

I haven't experienced a death penalty yet, but from reading about it, my question is what is the purpose of the death penalty?

Because the character needs to regrow all their internal organs the zombies ate out of them. From the look of the "near death" scene anyway. :)

They lowered the death penalty and that is ok. If they take it below 30 minutes I will personally loose respect for TFP uninstall the game and walk away. This is a large community and those that are enjoying the game are not being heard. They are also the ones that love the new SURVIVAL aspect. Betting that only the ones that like their building sim or have little to no experience with this type of game maybe even play it like they do Call of Duty struggle. It is hard at first sure but once you try to LEARN how to do it becomes easy really fast.

Already know of one development team that is killing their game because the minority in the community have nothing better to do than complain. Even after the change still whinning in the Steam forums......though that is quite normal there.

I just hope that TFP remember this is a SURVIVAL game and we all bought it knowing what it was. It should be hard and if it is too hard for people then there are other games out there. Even perhaps change it so the death penalty and what not is nothing if you play at say level 2 but if you put the game on 4 or 5 it is still a thing to fear.

Again to TFP if you nerf difficulty any further I will simply walk away and I really believe many more will too. Complainers get heard but those happy with the game are not heard as we are playing.

Using death as a teleport seems kinda.. counter-productive, when you drop your stuff and have to go all the way back to pick it up. I've never suicided to get rid of any negative condition in 7dtd ever. The corpse run back would bug me more than the condition usually.

If ppl play on drop toolbelt only, then avoiding the corpse run is fairly easy. Either just click everything into your inventory, or only carry things on the tool belt you don't mind losing. And I agree, running back for the bag was/is my least favorite part of dying.

I do think it would be nice if the death penalty didn't affect the items you could craft. If it's necessary to have a penalty there, longer crafting time would be my preference.

Voted -Other-

The 60min timer is fine imo.

If they want to remove it sooner, then have them complete a task to do so.

Give a personal fetch or dig quest that they can do, to obtain an item to remove it.

Heck, the item could be used to establish an in-game market on PvP servers.

Some players die > collect the item > let the timer run out > save the item and sell it to other players.

Why isn't this already a thing.

Tin, no more mixer xml's, you're going to start releasing full mods. =)

I voted for 60min, but I think it would be nice - and seeing my massive stockpile of food that I cant seem to eat enough of still - to give an option to reduce it by eating a bunch of good food / drinking teas or coffees, and something Tin said. Maybe vitamins, pain killers; I think this would add to the survival factor and help out with the scary-ness of death.

If possible, I'd like it tied to the day length chosen. 25% of the day, whether a 30 min day, or 120 min day.

So the 15 min fine. 60 was too much, that's a full day. 30 is much better, but...

I do agree there should be SOME penalty though.

Also agree that zombies (particularly dogs) should not be able to sneak up on you with absolutely no warning.

They should make SOME kind of noise, to at least give you a chance.

It seems to me it should be part of the difficulty settings, rather than a one-size-fits-all solution that leaves at least half the fan base unsatisfied. 60 mins may be pretty harsh for a new or more casual player, but they would probably be on Nomad anyway. For those that really want more challenge and punishment, that's what harder difficulties are for and they'd probably be on Survivor or Insane if that's what they want.

So maybe 15 mins for the easier than normal settings (I don't remember the names of those). 30 for Nomad. 45 for Warrior and Survivor difficulties. 60 for Insane.

I chose 'I'll mod it out' option, but in reality I'll probably tweak it to may be less severe or lasts even less than 30 minutes.

The issue I have with the current system is that one accidental death can lead to a death spiral when you die repeatedly trying to retrieve your backpack. This indeed was a viable mechanic 15 years ago in EQ and other games. However, most games right now don't have it as it punishes exploration too severely and is quite tedious for players.

I'm guessing this has been mentioned already, but the b208 release has the death penalty timer set to 30 mins now.

Personally I don't mind it, I think it maybe should be graded though. So 100% death penalty applied for the first 10 minutes, 75% for the next 10 then 50% and 25% for the remaining 5 and 5 minutes respectively. The idea that it's a cliff edge; one minute you are penalised completely, the next you are not, just comes across as unnatural.

I also have a hunch that because it's applied to those who died, it's those who are lacking in care and get killed easily that are the ones complaining.

I do agree it should be scaled based on the difficulty though. On the easiest level perhaps no timer as stated above.

One of the core rules in game design is that you shouldn't really do double punishments. It's like paying double taxes, it will never be a popular thing. Dying is already a punishment in itself in 7DTD, as you have to respawn at another location which can be fairly grave depending on situation.

Now, as 7DTD has the PvP aspect to it I do realise that a sort of penalty function still serves a purpose. But for co-op or solo play it should never be more than a temporary inconvenience. Waiting for 30 or 60 minutes to put that new skillpoint in from leveling thanks to the debuff? Heck no, who wants to wait for that? As such anything more than a 15 minute debuff seems like overkill to me.

And really since in PvP environment as opposed to a PvE environment the need and feelings around this might vary extremely it should really be up to the server host to decide. Things like this and backpack despawn timer should be chosen by the one who sets up the server, not the developers.

I think the 60 minute penalty was fine. Not dying should be top priority in a game like this. When I die I feel like I should be punished.

I actually enjoy permadeath in a lot of games. I played permadeath back in A16, so death penalty was not even a concern. I just wiped my save when I died. But for the sake of learning the game and getting far in a17 I am playing with 3 lives now. Game over at the third death.

Dying is already a punishment in itself in 7DTD, as you have to respawn at another location which can be fairly grave depending on situation.

I would say that is an annoyance that is increased if you've not planned ahead rather than a punishment. Completely losing your gear upon death would be a punishment.

All, imo, of course.

Archived