Death Penalty Poll

Roland

Death Penalty Poll  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Death Penalty Poll

• The penalty is fine. The 60 minute timer was best.
    • The penalty is fine. The 30 minute timer is best.
    • The penalty is fine but for no longer than 15 minutes.
    • This penalty should be removed. I'll still play but it's not fun.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll mod it out.
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll revert to A16
    • I won't play the game with this penalty. I'll uninstall it.
    • Other. Explain below.

I'm worried about PvP, if someone kills you in PvP, the penalty means you likely can't even try to strike back to get your stuff back. I would remove the penalty if you are killed by another player and only have it for being killed by zombies or falls, etc.

I think it's completely reasonable to have no death penalty when killed by another player. Not everyone thinks so, though. =)

They keep going up and it's exciting. I'm hopeful about the future. I was worried about all the talk before A17 dropped of people saying that it took too long and nobody was going to care about A17 at this point. People predicted low turnout because other AAA games were dropping.

The turnout has been great, the reviews have been mixed, but regardless more and more people through the weekend were playing 7 Days to Die. I'd like to think that was mostly trying out A17 but there is no way to know that for sure but interest in the game has not died out and despite the long development time more people than ever before have come back during the month of an experimental release. I'm interested to see the numbers this weekend.

I think that for devs it is very important to be continuous in ideas and move towards it step by step ... in the long term perspective it will attract more people than adjusting everything according to the current mood of the players. Players are humans, it is normal for them even don't understand what they want :) . For many people it may seem that "this, this, and this" would be better, easier, less stressful; however, after the implementation of this stuff the game suddenly (magically? Its psychology) becomes less interesting and people leave. People need a burden of restrictions to fight with their laziness, however, the real joy of the gaming process comes only when player has defeated the laziness, built some skills and achieved results he is proud of. And I believe in the current state 7DTD can give players that.

I like for there to be a severe penalty to death that lasts at least half a game day. I'm not sure this penalty that exists now is the right one, though. Forgetting how to craft/do things just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather see lost xp or something (no deleveling but maybe the next 30k xp you earn will get absorbed by the debuff), and/or a hit to max health/max stam/stam regen.

Whip up a quick death penalty modlet for PVP and post it.

I definitely can see that. Didn't think about that, honestly. I personally am not attracted to pvping in 7 days, but that would suck if you were defending a raid and got blasted with a rocket or something. Does it track if it was a player-caused death or elsewise in the code? I see that feasiable if so. Then again, Python is my only decently-learned language, so no idea lmao.

I definitely can see that. Didn't think about that, honestly. I personally am not attracted to pvping in 7 days, but that would suck if you were defending a raid and got blasted with a rocket or something. Does it track if it was a player-caused death or elsewise in the code? I see that feasiable if so. Then again, Python is my only decently-learned language, so no idea lmao.

Good question, I know it tracks player "kills" but uncertain if the code differentiates our deaths origin.

I already have to run back to EXACTLY WHAT KILLED ME, and now do it without gear, which would already strain credibility if the zombies didn't tend to wander off and let me grab it most of the time, To make me do that (which with the travel time issues takes several in game hours already) with a debuff AND no gear...F that.

Also, liking the vulnerability after death that the debuff gives? being naked and gearless is pretty darned vulnerable.

Haven't you heard the news? In the newest version of 7d2d the despawn timer of the lost backpack runs only if you are in the same chunk, So you normally have (in SP at least) unlimited time to get your gear back.

My experience goes like this: I died. My character was effectively reset to level 1 as every attribute was reduced to 1 with a duration of 1 hour (aka a full day/night cycle, though that is now cut in half). That eliminated my extra inventory space, my newly gained crafting skills, and my extra stamina (among other things).

I stopped playing and have not played again since the new experimental came out because I didn’t want to deal with starting over again.

There is nobody stopping you from playing except you yourself. Getting thrown back a few levels for a time should make you play more careful but you should still have better gear than when you were at that level. Mining is sitll trivially possible, building, going to the trader... Even scavenging, just avoid the better POI's and go back to looting pre-A17 buildings.

Have you thought about decreasing your difficulty setting so that you don't die so much?

My issue is I have with the current death system is I play with friends once a week for 3 hours (we are all over 30 have families and commitments), making one of the players feel useless for 1/3 of our total weekly game-time, just because they accidentally feel onto a spike trap or got swarmed by wolves feels really horrible.

It encourages us as a group to either mod it out or as some players have suggested just move on to another game we can play as a group that more casual friendly.

He isn't useless. Just look objectively at the debuff and tell me what he can't do anymore?

Build a forge? When I learn the forge perk I immediately build a forge and then don't need it for a long time. I don't learn the perk, go into a dangerous POI and then try to build the forge.

Fight? What did you do 10 levels earlier when you had similar abilities like now with the death debuff? Probably you fought then too, but maybe with worse armor and weapons. And even if that doesn't make up for more difficult zombies, since you play co-op, the others should be able to help you in sticky situations.

Turn down your difficulty setting, dying should be the exception not the rule

He isn't useless. Just look objectively at the debuff and tell me what he can't do anymore?

Build a forge? When I learn the forge perk I immediately build a forge and then don't need it for a long time. I don't learn the perk, go into a dangerous POI and then try to build the forge.

Fight? What did you do 10 levels earlier when you had similar abilities like now with the death debuff? Probably you fought then too, but maybe with worse armor and weapons. And even if that doesn't make up for more difficult zombies, since you play co-op, the others should be able to help you in sticky situations.

Turn down your difficulty setting, dying should be the exception not the rule

I build 4 forges immediately lol, 2 for iron and clay, 1 for brass/lead and clay, and 1 for stone. Then when I level a bit more I build 2-3 more for stone and a couple more for iron and clay if I can get the mining going. Shouldn't need to build forges all the time lol.

I like for there to be a severe penalty to death that lasts at least half a game day. I'm not sure this penalty that exists now is the right one, though. Forgetting how to craft/do things just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather see lost xp or something (no deleveling but maybe the next 30k xp you earn will get absorbed by the debuff), and/or a hit to max health/max stam/stam regen.

I actually really like the idea of an XP loss without level loss as the death penalty--rather than negating XP for a time, it should just subtract earned XP so you have to regain what was lost and then some to level up. That way it functions as a penalty, without increasing the difficulty for those who were already struggling with the difficulty enough to have died so much. On the surface, it sounds a lot more reasonable of a mechanic.

I think it's completely reasonable to have no death penalty when killed by another player. Not everyone thinks so, though. =)

Well. Every once in a while you have to call a Lenny a Lenny.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea. You would just keep getting your ♥♥♥♥ pushed in, deeper, deeper, and deeper with every death.

Well, it HAS to be. There's literally THOUSANDS of configurable settings in the XML files. In fact, I'd say well over TEN THOUSAND.

Do you want to sort through a 10,000+ line long in-game options screen? Do you want TFP spending the next 6 months building that?

The Options screen in game will present a small number of MAJOR options. Everything else (that can be) will be in the XML's for those players wishing to spend the time (and it's literally almost no time at all) to further tweak the game settings.

Did I say we needed 10,000 lines of options? Could there realistically be 10,000 lines of options? No.

I suggest we keep the major options available on the main game setup page. Then maybe have an 'advanced' page with some further options which are already preset according to the difficulty you've chosen. If you wish to go in and change a few extra options, you can.

I would consider this one a major option, and my opinion is that it should be a changeable option in the game settings.

You have to remember, alot of people are not going to know about editing XML's and even if they do, it might be a bit overwhelming looking at lines of code. Just because you can do it, it doesn't mean Joe Bloggs can.

Also, as you are a community moderator, I would please ask you to stop capitalizing words and 'shouting' at me, theres no need for it and its downright rude. I see you do it a lot and I dont know why you think its acceptable. Thank you.

Edit:

Ok, well, I'm going to labour the point here, but YOU DO have an option to EASILY remove the death penalty from the game.

Now, maybe the Pimps will put an In-game Options menu option for it, but even without that, you could edit one text file and reduce the penalty to 1 second in about 5 keystrokes.

Not only are you doing it again here, you are in fact suggesting an in game option could be a possibility. Which is it?

The purpose of this thread and poll is to gather opinions on how the community feels about the matter.

You are effectively telling people who are giving their opinion that their opinion doesn't matter, and they should be modding the game, making the poll completely pointless!!

There has been several reasons given in this thread as to why people can't/won't modify their game. Please stop telling people what they should be doing!

Decisions are made by those who show up.

Apparently Aaron Sorkin coined it for "The West Wing", and it's a pretty good saying. I'm not suggesting that TFP should take this community's word as gospel, but I doubt an in-game questionnaire is going to go down too well either. Ultimately, good, bad or indifferent, these forums represent one of the major player<->Dev contact points.

At least announce them on the steam forum or/and as news there. This is a joke. A bad one. 50.000 vs 293? Just look at those numbers. (propably way more than 50k) Using that as an indicator is not professional. It´s riddiculous.

Did I say we needed 10,000 lines of options? Could there realistically be 10,000 lines of options? No.

I suggest we keep the major options available on the main game setup page. Then maybe have an 'advanced' page with some further options which are already preset according to the difficulty you've chosen. If you wish to go in and change a few extra options, you can.

I would consider this one a major option, and my opinion is that it should be a changeable option in the game settings.

You have to remember, alot of people are not going to know about editing XML's and even if they do, it might be a bit overwhelming looking at lines of code. Just because you can do it, it doesn't mean Joe Bloggs can.

Also, as you are a community moderator, I would please ask you to stop capitalizing words and 'shouting' at me, theres no need for it and its downright rude. I see you do it a lot and I dont know why you think its acceptable. Thank you.

Edit:

Not only are you doing it again here, you are in fact suggesting an in game option could be a possibility. Which is it?

The purpose of this thread and poll is to gather opinions on how the community feels about the matter.

You are effectively telling people who are giving their opinion that their opinion doesn't matter, and they should be modding the game, making the poll completely pointless!!

There has been several reasons given in this thread as to why people can't/won't modify their game. Please stop telling people what they should be doing!

The MouldyCheese,

I'll try and bold rather than capitalise from now on. It's not meant as a shout, nor do I consider it "rude", but I'm happy to adjust if others do.

Editing XML's is really no more challenging than editing a text file. Now, if a configurable death penalty duration ends up in the in-game settings menu, if TFP builds an "Advanced Settings" menu for lots of other options, I've no objection.

That said, the in-game menus will never (see what I did there....hehe) match what can be tweaked by simple text file editing. That's the point I'm trying to make. Some people have been claiming they'll never play the game again because of some setting - which is literally people saying that they'll never play the game again rather than spend 5 minutes (if that) making a few simple edits to tailor it to their preferences.

It just doesn't add up.

- - - Updated - - -

At least announce them on the steam forum or/and as news there. This is a joke. A bad one. 50.000 vs 293? Just look at those numbers. (propably way more than 50k) Using that as an indicator is not professional. It´s riddiculous.

From the get go, TFP has made these forums their primary point of contact in preference to the Steam forums. It doesn't mean they completely ignore the Steam forums (to my knowledge anyway), but it does mean that those wanting a deeper engagement with TFP have to come here, not wait for TFP to go there.

The MouldyCheese,

I'll try and bold rather than capitalise from now on. It's not meant as a shout, nor do I consider it "rude", but I'm happy to adjust if others do.

Editing XML's is really no more challenging than editing a text file. Now, if a configurable death penalty duration ends up in the in-game settings menu, if TFP builds an "Advanced Settings" menu for lots of other options, I've no objection.

That said, the in-game menus will never (see what I did there....hehe) match what can be tweaked by simple text file editing. That's the point I'm trying to make. Some people have been claiming they'll never play the game again because of some setting - which is literally people saying that they'll never play the game again rather than spend 5 minutes (if that) making a few simple edits to tailor it to their preferences.

It just doesn't add up.

- - - Updated - - -

From the get go, TFP has made these forums their primary point of contact in preference to the Steam forums. It doesn't mean they completely ignore the Steam forums (to my knowledge anyway), but it does mean that those wanting a deeper engagement with TFP have to come here, not wait for TFP to go there.

Yawn. You want as much people as possible to react to polls? Stop making excuses and do a post on steam. It´s not even a minute worth of time. If this is too much than TFP simply doesn´t care and these polls here only exist so they can say: "We made a poll, you deceided. stop blaming us for our decisions"

This poll is in no way a valid indicator. Nice try. Now try again and pretend you care.

• 1 month later...

If you'll forgive me playing devils advocate - what if players die to a zombie, then say "Oh no, I have death penalty! Quick, someone kill me to cleanse it." Isn't that the same kind of exploit this death penalty was implemented to prevent?

For the record I've only ever killed myself once...lagged while trying to drop some broken glass and ended up eating it. Glad that feature was removed as an aside :tickled_pink:

I've seen several posters mention only affecting physical stats, and that makes sense to me. Getting eaten having a lingering effect on crafting seems non-intuitive.

I'm also usually against the penalty for failing at the game being 'make the game harder'.

I would say server settings would be most appropriate. Sort of like playing hardcore as an option, not a requirement. A selection of 15, 30, and 60 minutes with a separate option for Stamina only, Physical stats only, and All stats.

Otherwise, if it stays 60m minutes, all stats, it'll be the first thing I mod out. (How I voted)

Archived