Dynamic Crafting Timers

Gazz

I am preparing the construction material for the next building project and I'm currently going through 6 batches of stuff, each one taking 90 minutes to complete. That's a solid 9 hours of crafting. I don't think the devs had that in mind when setting up the crafting timers the way they are... So how about dynamic crafting timers? All the base settings remain as is. "Normal" crafting is completely unaffected and can be balanced pretty much separately. What changes is... [LIST] [*][B]For every 5 minutes that a crafting queue has been running without interruption, the crafting timer speeds up by 20%.[/B] [*][B] This is capped at -80%.[/B] [/LIST] If you make 20 torches or 100 crossbow bolts, nothing at all changes. If you make 2000 torches / plant fibers, it takes 24 minutes instead of 90. The effects kicks in after only 5 minutes so "normal" people will see it happen once in a while, too. This doesn't tie into [I][B]any[/B][/I] other features so would be doable without breaking... too much. =)

That sounds excellent really. But then again, I never want to put so much stuff in my crafting window that takes more than 10mins to craft. They need to fix the issue whereby when we DC while crafting, we lose everything inside that window.... I've lost countless amounts of stuff to that already simply because I get randomly DCed while crafting...

I think we'll soon get something called Crafting Tables, placable machines (similar to Forges and Camp Fires) that can do process-crafting for us. I do worry a bit about the game balance of infinite Crafting Tables, but perhaps it'd be functional if normal players were capped at having 2 Tables running simultaneously, +1 per skill level in the Crafting Table control skill.

Yeah crafting timers suck when building big. Especially when you are solo. My building project now is on a server that has 1 second timer for everything crafted in your menu. Fires and forges are default but the crafting timer helps me out more than you could know. Especially when crafting iron wall, rebar frames, anything that takes a crap ton of time. Now, i dont havent worried about timers in so long that when i do join a server with them, i feel the immense pain that im sure most builders feel. I think your idea is solid, however they could just use the skill system to decrease crafting timers across the board. I really do hope they will spring the skills on us soon as a nice surprise.

[QUOTE=SoulChaserJ;146675]Wouldn't something like this be moot when we get crafting tables? If I remember right, that was on the slate.[/QUOTE] Depends, whats a crafting table do? I thought it was just going to be a place to craft higher tier items. Nobody knows for sure if its just going to be an extra crafting menu or not.

Archived