Why I find A17 tedious and bland compared to A16 (very long)

Ghostlight

OMFG!!!! Thank you OP, very well said everything. But here I've known since A14 that the problem is the COE. He's not a gamer. he's little less then a noob. he can't aim or use any kind of skill. So how does TFP CEO know anything about end game. He doesn't so he just keeps making early and mid game take longer. And take away opinions from us on how we want to play.... No, bad customer, you have to play the way i tell you. Now kill 12 thousand zombies to get to lvl 20. I have literally taken everything else out of the game that gives you XP. And Jesus!!! STOP ♥♥♥♥ING WITH STAMINA!!!!!!!!!! we don't want to play 7 days of walking. Revert it!!! revert it and buff it!!!!. make zombies faster if it makes you feel better. but no one wants a 45 min trip to the nearest town. Hunger is the fking worst. FIX IT!!!! Why is my hunger tied in to stamina! In real life i eat once a day and climb 300 ft towers for 16 hours before i start feeling tired and not as energetic. Why in 7 days can i 100% full up on food and before i step out my door of my destroyed base, i'm already at 90% stamina!! TFP do you even care if your game is enjoyable? did you guys even play this game without godmode on? Try it. It's not a game it's a chore. A horrible chore at that.

Hey Madmole

You read any of the 30 or so threads telling you why your changes suck yet? maybe, just for frikkin O N C E..listen to the players, this update sucks balls in so many ways and the players have written them all out for you

READ THEM AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Hello. I do not speak English.

I play this game from the times - square blocks. Each new alpha surprised and amazed me with its changes. The most difficult change was - the time of action (craft). Alpha 15 was hard for me, the game seemed very casual and easy. Alpha 16 I could not even start playing even worse than Alpha 15 in terms of the complexity of the game :)

Alpha 17 is worth applause. I still do not believe that developers can so surprising after so many years.

I hope the casual players will not spoil this game.

Attitude is everything guys. I think we would have a nice proper communication and relationship line established between dev and playerbase if we also do our part. I agree with a lot of these points but cannot for the life of me want to listen to someone who is just freaking out and blaring like its the end of the world.

Think about how exhaustive this is on a dev team. And how they'll more likely just retort instead of taking your post seriously.

I too want the gates removed. I too feel the biggest gripe is how everything is so tied to level now. It takes away from the sandbox and replay. Basically I just try to get all my stats to 3 before lvl 20 and instead of giving us the opportunity to grow in different ways, we are tied down to spending points all over the place in places we are not gated from.

A16 had really scattered drunk zombies that didn't want to eat. It got extremely boring. On that front A17 is so much better. I've always complained how early you can just head shot and one hit a zombie no matter what difficulty mode. I love that the zombies feel like zombies. They just want to keep going after you (By the way... looking at your skill points in a basement of some POI is bad news lol).

The weapon mods are really good addition in A17. And yes, I dislike the magazines too. But mostly because I haven't figured out to use them effectively yet. So that is something I will reserve for later.

The pacing has changed. Some of it is bad I agree. But this is why A17 is on the experimental branch? They changed a lot of things and hopefully we can give them the feedback they need to make the game better for all of us. Please try to be constructive. I can post all day on any forum and not get all bent out of shape. Let's communicate effectively and let TFP make the changes needed to make A17 more into what we want!

Amen.

way too slow and grindy. even the animations seem slow and unnatural. the funny thing is that some of the mechanics remind me of the way older alphas in a way. it's like they can't make up their mind.

1+ year for this crap? really? and all these people testing and touting it's amazing the whole time? for shame. that's all i can say.

edit: i should add it took about 1 hour for me to type this post. I had to pause and wait for my stamina to refill after typing each word.

I actually enjoy most of the A17 changes. A16 was too easy, especially once you got established and I found it boring after week 3 most times.

However, I agree that Stamina Max/Use needs to be seriously tweaked. Max stamina drops way too fast even when just walking and exploring losing 1/3 of your max traveling to your starting trader while only choping enough stuff to make arrows to fight the z's is a bit much. Actual Stamina use is to high for most tasks as well. In real life I might need to rest while chopping down a tree, but in a game it does get tedious.

Level gating needs a tweak too but I also get the need to not have whole tiers skipped on the way to the best building materials. Overall I feel that with tweaks here and there this will be the best Alpha I've played (started during 14).

Very well said OP! The POIs are well designed but very repetitious and playing solo is even worse.

I have killed around 20-25 zombies EACH POI and sometimes can't catch my breath that is until the game kills me by a zombie or vulture that literally spawned behind me.

I completely disagree with almost every point the original poster is making. I'm going to bed right now, after playing WAY too much today, so I'm not going to go point by point, but I believe a lot of the complaints are based in trying to play this new version the same way you played the earlier versions. You basically have to play this like it's a whole new game.

I was using iron tools, and was using a forge long before level 20. I just couldn't craft them.

The game is NOT all about the perks... it's about perks, mods and technique.

Death penalty... seems about right. There SHOULD be a real penalty from.... uh... DEATH!

The changes to health and stamina are perhaps where I come the closest to agreeing, but even these seemed reasonable I adjusted my play style.

I prefer a16 perk system, u choose what to specialize in and use that tool to level up and then u also had the locked perks for special bonuses, best of both worlds, with everything locked and using one main pool of xp feels less satisfying. Even the Wellness system made me focus on the best foods and drinks, but now food and water is tied to stamina and some health regen any food and drink will do.

I like that zombies are tougher and smarter but the animations seem very floaty and sporadic, hitting running zombies is a lottery compared to how solid it felt in a16. Feels the hitboxes have been changed too, but these might be unlocked with the higher perks, which if that's the case would be unfortunate making it less skill based.

I prefer a16 perk system, u choose what to specialize in and use that tool to level up and then u also had the locked perks for special bonuses, best of both worlds, with everything locked and using one main pool of xp feels less satisfying. Even the Wellness system made me focus on the best foods and drinks, but now food and water is tied to stamina and some health regen any food and drink will do.

I always enjoyed that skill system. Never found anything wrong with it. Like you said, it's the best of both worlds. Yes, things were locked, but they were locked by your own placing of points. Not gated and tied to level. I also notice this. Sometimes when devs try to make a really slick up to date system, they homogenize and things can end up generic.

And I always liked the wellness system. It made you feel the thrive better when you could down better nutrition meals like bacon and eggs and meat stew.

I always enjoyed that skill system. Never found anything wrong with it. Like you said, it's the best of both worlds. Yes, things were locked, but they were locked by your own placing of points. Not gated and tied to level. I also notice this. Sometimes when devs try to make a really slick up to date system, they homogenize and things can end up generic.

And I always liked the wellness system. It made you feel the thrive better when you could down better nutrition meals like bacon and eggs and meat stew.

That old system one is GONE thank goodness. It was broken in many ways. It did not to make your EARN anything. All you wanted was dumped in your lap. Forges up and running in under 30 min. Iron tools inside the first hour. Guns so easy to get out of gun stores. There was no earning anything there was no difficuty.

New system you have to EARN things you have to WORK toward things and that is why so many of you do not like it. THis is a survival game and so you must SURVIVE. This new system is not tedious at all if you take the time to LEARN about it. Follow youtubers or whoever else has learn about the new system just learn.

Base experience tells us it is all here to stay so you have a choice play it or do not. 16 has to be boring for many by now. Though I understand if you can play 16 and be challenged without modding the install files then you clearly have a lot less experience than I do.

I just think if more of you stop complaining about how hard it is and put that energy into learning the new things you will realise how much better things are now. Again we know that 17 is not going to get scrapped the system is here. Work together and learn it and enjoy it.

I do agree with the OP on a couple points. Gating everything behind levels makes every game exactly the same, and will get old real quick. Stone tools for the first 20 levels is a pain, and then the next 20 levels for something else, and then etc... It's just annoying and a stupid gimmick that can be found in every other game out there. Gating skills behind books and forcing the player to scavenge for skills has been a cornerstone of 7dtd since I started playing in A9, and now all of a sudden it's based on level. I don't understand the purpose for the change but I will try it and see what I think.

That said, I love the new POIs and the new zombie AI. I actually died on day one and it was great. I think it would be great if the the Fun Pimps could find a happy medium between level gating and books, but it looks like they've made their choice.

But why, what was the point of making a 1:1=1 ratio to a 5:5=1 lol

It allows bonuses to hunting/skinning to be less granular.

If you get 1 meat from an animal and use 1 meat to make a recipe, there's no room for bonuses smaller than 100% (getting 2 meat instead of 1).

If you get 5 meat from an animal and use 5 meat to make a recipe, you still default to having to kill one animal per instance of the recipe, but now you can have things (buffs, perks, whatever) that give you a 20% bonus to the meat you get so you get 6 per animal instead of 5.

So increasing the numbers isn't pointless. It gives the devs more control.

Those heat seeker zombies bothers quite lot, maybe old bandits should have had that AI. Stone tools are a bit meh for first 20 levels, maybe some scrap iron tools for lvl 5 or 10 would be nice addition.

What comes stamina, yes it slows game a bit but no biggie, couple perk points to stamina and health maybe makes wonder too.

Hunger and Thirst is quite much handle with one perk point for both, bacon and eggs seems to be best option for hunger/stamina.

Currently on day 5. died once for a pig. Couple close calls. Also some kind of armors if you find or can craft will help quite.

Over all I like A17 much more that A16.4 so far, even it is a bit more grindier.

And there will be bunch of mods that will fix some or all of the progression annoyances.

I agree with most things the OP said. But the single most blaring thing is stamina based on the hunger bar. It should be based on a 1/4 of the hunger bar at most for regeneration purposes only, stamina is the single most important stat in 7d2d. Damage to the stamina bar just makes 7d2d unplayable. Jumping in the air 4 times = a completely drained stamina bar, what are our characters completely out of shape or something? Hell, even if you're completely out of shape that's still a huge over exaggeration.

I just think if more of you stop complaining about how hard it is and put that energy into learning the new things you will realise how much better things are now. Again we know that 17 is not going to get scrapped the system is here. Work together and learn it and enjoy it.

Ironically, at no point in my OP did I complain about difficulty. Just tedium. Quite different. I actually find A17 more or less same difficulty, but it FEELS harder because of the tediousness of killing bullet-sponge zombies.

Yeah, I kind of don't like it already. I get that they want to slow down early game, but this is just... not fun to play. Melee is overly clunky.

And what is the big deal about the graphics? - too me it looks even more flat and cartoon-ish (eg - the old wood was way better looking!)

Archived