A forge to make steel.

zedslayer

It would be nice to see a new and better forge in the game. One that is harder to make but has the ability to mix coal and iron to make steel. With steel we would be able to make better tools for harvesting resources in the game. Let's face it the auger is a joke finding it is nothing more than a lottery. I have found it after looting 3 or 4 cars in day 1 or 2 in some games and in others can never find it know matter how many hours I look. So we need to be able to make better tools. I have over 1200 hours in this game now and am still using the same pick axe, but every time you turn around there is a new tool to build faster with. Well how about new tools to collect faster with. I think once the forge for steel was put into the game. The recipes for new tools would be easy it would just be a matter of using iron or if you have steel you would put that in place of iron instead. If we could make tools out of steel to dig faster and chop faster I wouldn't even care about the auger.

+1 While torches, wood planks, stone campfires and pocket rock forges are cool, especially in the early game (great survival vibe), it should be replaced with more sophisticated things. Building blocks already have that, with iron walls, concrete and such, but what about tools and means ? A great forge, that could enable higher temperatuers, and thus needed for higher grade stuff (like tungsten or steel) Electricity, with genertors instead of torches (or at least oil lamps) Ovens, or great caldrons that could enable more ingredients slots, and thus more sophisticated food

The real world device is called a blast furnace and it could be really cool build one of these things. [URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=blast+furnace&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS502US502&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=777&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xYM0VIb9KYuryASv4oHoAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ"]Its not a little thing you just plop down in a hole you dug out. [/URL] Not only is the furnace itself big but plenty of ventilation would be needed for the heat and fumes. Could be a three part build with the forced air being one part, the furnace itself being another and the vents being the third.

Definitely +1 And I can imagine more use for tungsten - like indestructible pickaxe, sharper axe etc. Btw what about more sophisticated metallurgy - for example hardening, or like progress of making katana sword - two type of steels forging with hammer together, then put it to furnace again, hammering, furnace, hammering and then to water for hardening. This will make basic blade which have to be honed to final shape.

Archived