Crouching isn't really crouching anymore.

icharis

the real issue is the character offset on the y axes. in previous versions our avatars appeared to sink ankle deep into blocks (about 0.10m). now we appear to be floating above them by about 0.30m... this would account for the 0.40m discrepancy in crouch height.

it wouldnt surprise me if they did this to nip the floating block exploit, where you could place a plate block on the ground and place another plate on top and walk between them. Those of use building nearly zombie proof bases used this exploit to make the zombies walk under our bases and not be able to hit any supports. Sadly, now we cant even walk that space without crouching because we are now more than 2 meters tall due to the "floating" offset.

It's actually the not knowing if I'm crouched that I find most bothersome, more than the effects on stealth or reach or anything else. I've gotten very used to judging if I'm crouched based on how far off the ground the camera looks, and it seems like in 7DtD the crouched camera height is now significantly higher than in any other game I can recall. I have the same problem when 'aiming down the sight' of the bow that has no sight. I keep wondering why I'm moving slowly. I'm not saying I can't adapt, but the growing pains have been significant.

I really think that when you press shift to run and maybe jump it should deactivate crouch. I like the aim toggle but I would like it if it would toggle off after each shot is fired and toggle off if you press shift to run. Also you should get sneak damage regardless of whether you are crouching or not, if the enemy doesn't see you coming then sneak damage should be automatic.

I wouldn't mind a 3 stage thing. Stand, Crouch, Prone/Crawl. Although, I don't know how this could work and not look funny using the toggle ctrl function. I suppose it could go stand, crouch, prone, crouch, stand... and then jump always gets you back to standing unless you are already standing, which of course would just be jump. Also, crawling should increase stealth more than crouching.

Used to be able to crouch down and take out the lower 1 block to neatly drop-mine a portion of stone. Now after the first few blocks in the block above it obscures your line-of-sight because you're no longer crouching low enough! A sneak position is cool and realistic, but give us our full crouch back too! Hear hear!

If the player could crouch down to face the bottom block THEN people would expect to be able to crawl 1 meter high passages, THEN people would build 1 meter high passages in their base, THEN people would expect zombies to crawl though 1 meter high passages.

All of that would lead to the game having to use 1 meter high passages in the pathfinding, making the game even more complicated.

Also It would be unclear what zombie now could crawl low, and why others cant by just crouching.

Also the optimal base would have to use 1 meter high passages. The game would turn into a crouch simulator.

About new zombie types: there two separate things:

-more visual variation

-more behavior types

Visually it would be nice to have more variation in the standard every day zombies. (Heads and Clothes).

But thats more a question of money spend on art, and a question of texture limitations.

Using modular Zombies (UMA or custom) will lead to have them look more generic.

From the behavior side, the best new addition (or emphasis) are the way more common vultures, acting as air threats.

I would not like to have more silly abilities from "fantasy" zombies.

Rather have the zombies act more differently in the way they move, attack and flee.

For example some of them using a biting attack. Some attacking by jumping forward. Some doing a hit and run. Some doing a charge attack, that the player has to sidestep.

And then ultimately having bandits with guns in the game at one point.

... the floating block exploit, where you could place a plate block on the ground and place another plate on top and walk between them. Those of use building nearly zombie proof bases used this exploit to make the zombies walk under our bases and not be able to hit any supports. Sadly, now we cant even walk that space without crouching because we are now more than 2 meters tall due to the "floating" offset.

I wonder if Riveted Sheet Metal would still work for that exploit.

Archived