So this is where roland said to go to gripe about a17 and the early release...

Scyris

Yeah, see, here's the thing.

If you release it to streamers only on a Friday and say that the rest of the customer base you already have will get it on Monday, barring issues (because there are always issues), how is that good marketing?

Because any current customers just get ♥♥♥♥ on. And any potential new customers are basically being shown something, via streams, that they can't even have unless they wait until the rest of current customers get it. It's literally the exact same thing as a teaser trailer for an upcoming movie or TV show, except that you can't pre-purchase - if you buy it, you get the "old" model, and have to wait like everyone else.

I would think that the smarter marketing strategy would be "here's what you can have RIGHT NOW if you go and buy our game on Steam TODAY!" Releasing a game to streamers early is a good strategy IF THE GAME ISN'T ACTUALLY RELEASED YET. Once available, marketing should focus on what you get when you purchase, not what you get 3 days after you purchase. That kind of strategy never makes sense.

And it's things like this that actually reduce any sort of hype that such a move might create. People who already have the game, unless they're rabid fangirls, feel like less valued customers. And potential new customers see this not as a way to help out the streaming community, but rather as a sleezy car salesman strategy, like rolling back the odometer on a used car. Buy now, and get free same-day delivery, plus we'll ship the latest patch! Disclaimer: latest patch shipped separately, via ground, and will arrive anywhere from 3-10 business days later.

If the rest of the company is run like marketing is, it's no wonder it takes an entire year to upgrade from a previous version of Unity and polish some graphics. Because let's be honest here, any other content that comes with this alpha can already be experienced via mods, of which many were fully developed over the course of 6 months or less and actually have had more updates in the past year than the core game has had in the past 4.

I agree on this, however, making us have to wait and watch the "preferred few" play the experimental first, seems, i dun know, wrong. I get that they wanted to increase revenue (as you all say), however, I don't get how having me, a person that's already paid for the game, gets them any money, in fact, I just feel a bit alienated.

true...but we're not talkin about people that didn't invest already in the movie. The folks complaining are already people that paid for their tickets.

/shrug

Let me explain: Exclusivity is something that attracts streamers. They get to play something that many people want to see. Or to say it differently, if we all got the game as well, 100% of us would play the game instead of watching some streamers. Now lets say 50% of us who already bought the game in EA will watch the streams and give the streamers a boost. The exclusivity is the payment/incentive to get a lot of streamers, not only the ones that play 7days all the time but also the ones who never showed it before or would show "Fallout 67" instead.

Thats only one side of the medal. Many of the streamers who only occasionally show 7days videos or never have, will have visitors in their channel that haven't seen 7days yet. These visitors are the new players this event wants to attract.

In short, exlusivity attracts even non-7days-streamers, their viewers might buy the game

I am just wondering about the streamers on twitch with alpha 17 access with 20-30 people watching. Why are people with such low numbers allowed the jump start to experimental? Have Roland been played for a fool?

On another note, alpha 17 looks sweeeet, thats way i am anxious to play :p

Bad salesmanship.

Can I just point out that I have already PAID for the game?

That "Marketing" to me is pointless?

And that letting "Marketers" get the game for free to play for the weekend BUT PAYING cutomers are expected to watch non paying martketers play the game they paid for?

You understand that watching a stream and NOT being able to immediately purchase what they are playing is PISS POOR Salesmanship? You are alienating your customers only to screw up all the impulse buys.

This is the message you are sending.

"Fun Pimps does not give a ♥♥♥♥ about customers who have paid for their products. We only care about the sales we have not made."

Screw you guys.

The weekend IS the only time I have to play. I'm not going to enjoy watching other people play the game I pad for. You should not need to be told this.

I don`t have a problem with the stream event. Its a good way to find and fix the most critical bugs. But there are streamers right now with 5 and 10 people watching. Thats just taking the piss. I hope the fun pimps are watching and will clean up the streaming list until the next alpha

I don`t have a problem with the stream event. Its a good way to find and fix the most critical bugs. But there are streamers right now with 5 and 10 people watching. Thats just taking the piss. I hope the fun pimps are watching and will clean up the streaming list until the next alpha

And then there are those complaining that our 5000 follower requirement was too high and that we should've lowered it to be support smaller channels. Can't make everyone happy.

And then there are those complaining that our 5000 follower requirement was too high and that we should've lowered it to be support smaller channels. Can't make everyone happy.

I'll be surprised if that as a number guy, you don't come out with pie charts showing the different demographics for which streamers were successful and why.

...which countries to target, etc...

Hell, if its only about 'sales of units' let anyone who has already purchased a copy buy another one to get early access like the streamers, or put a figure on it, 1 copy, 10 copies, 1000 copies, if you just want money, and thats all that matters, tell us how much you are expecting each streamer to bring in in future sales, im sure I'm not the only one on here that has a lot of disposable income who could match or exceed it :p

Of course they are complaining because their 20 followers channel is not getting experimental early. But TFP has set a limit for a reason,

and when there are streams with so low numbers it is just ridiciulous. I have made an account just to point this out. I have been playing

since alpha 8 or 9 and i never had anything to complain about before this. Of all the neverending "gates" that has been, i have never been worried because i haven`t tried it and i know tfp makes a good game. There is nothing that have ever been removed that i miss like spamcrafting and being able to go through a one block hole.

But with the rules the way they are to being able for the stream team, and seeing streamers with 5 to 10 watchers is just disrespectful to

your customers. Notice i don`t complain about anything in the game it self, because i havent`t tried it yet and you usually makes good

decitions (like people complaing about clay changes etc.) But streamers with 5-10 people is just plain stupid

- - - Updated - - -

I am new to the formatting so i press enter when the line is full, so sorry for the bad formatting of my posts

Can I just point out that I have already PAID for the game?

That "Marketing" to me is pointless?

And that letting "Marketers" get the game for free to play for the weekend BUT PAYING cutomers are expected to watch non paying martketers play the game they paid for?

You understand that watching a stream and NOT being able to immediately purchase what they are playing is PISS POOR Salesmanship? You are alienating your customers only to screw up all the impulse buys.

This is the message you are sending.

"Fun Pimps does not give a ♥♥♥♥ about customers who have paid for their products. We only care about the sales we have not made."

Screw you guys.

The weekend IS the only time I have to play. I'm not going to enjoy watching other people play the game I pad for. You should not need to be told this.

WHOA! YOU paid for A17-E?! How much did you pay for?? You might've gotten ripped off because, you know we get it for free on monday, right? and that its experimental, right? Its very elementary school of you ( and others ) to cry "If they get it, we should too!" Made sense, but now it just sounds childish and petty

It's called marketing.... and relax dude, it's only 3 days later and we've waited well over a year!

Great marketing. Even with that giant list of streamers theres only like 4k people watching on Twitch... It's below Chess ffs.

This is funny to see how the whiteknights around here are trying to justify such poor decision TFP made. Personally, I would be very interested to hear from them actually, with their words. Again, I see no proper justification for ONLY giving it to streamers, I don't see any except to upset long time followers and show how disrespectful TFP are against most of their community. TFP are good (but slow) at developing their game so leave this ♥♥♥♥ty marketing methods to other publishers out there with their game that is not in Early Access and more specifically, LISTEN to your community.

Archived