So this is where roland said to go to gripe about a17 and the early release...

Scyris

Australia often gets things first before the rest of the world because companies like to test the waters before the general population gets it.

We get some things first because we're +10 GMT, not because we're not part of "the general population" thanks. Unless you're thinking of Tasmania, where they have two heads and marry their siblings.... :playful:

As for the point of the thread: would you rather TFP spend $$ using mainstream marketing techniques (massive cost for minimal ROI / penetration) or attach themselves to some streamers which is likely free and can target potential customers directly? Without going all Ben Lee - we're all in this together, and having more purchases of the game benefits the core player base too because it's allowed development to continue to this point.

Go check out games like Reign of Kings or any of the other dozens of Steam EA games that failed or took off with your money for a bit of perspective on what the complaint here is.

We get some things first because we're +10 GMT, not because we're not part of "the general population" thanks. Unless you're thinking of Tasmania, where they have two heads and marry their siblings.... :playful:

Tasmania aside you guys often get things weeks or months in advance which can't be explained by the truth that when the world ends you'll also know that first by about 10 hrs.... ;)

We are entitled, we bought the game long before twitch was even a thing! don't give me/us this bull***t that we aren't entitled to something we've already purchased!

Classic entitled whiner! good job!

I'll say it again more slowly since you and others cannot comprehend. Alpha 17.0 stable will release to everyone just like every alpha before it. They used to only allow access to experimental for the testing team but have now opened it up in the past two alphas. They are GIVING YOU ACCESS BUT ARE NOT REQUIRED TO. That's right, TFP has actually gotten us more involved in the testing and also wedged in an opportunity for some free marketing.

Only an entitled baby would take that and still find something to complain about.

We are entitled, we bought the game long before twitch was even a thing! don't give me/us this bull***t that we aren't entitled to something we've already purchased!

+1

We are entitled to exactly what we purchased. I purchased Alpha 5. What did you purchase? Can’t have been A17 as it’s not available yet. I’m pretty sure there’s at least one build you can play this weekend while the event happens. No access to playing a development build is being suspended.

Technically, I can’t even play what I purchased any more. Thank goodness no streamer is showing Alpha 5 or I might have cause to complain.

I'll say it slowly too - not... good... enough! there is no excuse for the way they are releasing updates, its everyone or no one!

I disagree with you. What the streamers are getting isn't even stable...Why are you complaining about them getting some PR out for the new release? Heck use this as a chance to see what bugs the streamers are running into or even what has changed to perhaps not feel like a newbie once it drops.

On the other hand I understand your frustration. Back when TFP first made the announcement that Streamers would have access to early release I was infuriated, but after thinking about it I understood their choice. Why should we be upset about something that we didn't have access to being given to Streamers for a sneak peek.

I don't know if it's because it is hard to get a tone from text or not but Roland is being kind of a ♥♥♥♥ here.

I think people have a valid gripe here. Sucking up to streamers is obviously begging for views. Free press is free press. It's at the cost of us earlier backers (Roland included Mr. Alpha 4 Vet). Will it be successful? Probably. They are running a business here. Loads of companies offer open beta access for everyone and then streamers flock to them. Everyone gets a dip and these streamers may pull in folks in the form of free advertising.

People who have poured countless hours into the game are worth no less than streamers. The pandering isn't going to stop me from checking out a17. I totally get why TFP wants to suck up to streamers and their viewers by proxy. It's just kinda crappy to us.

https://imgflip.com/i/2ms7mp

People who have poured countless hours into the game are worth no less than streamers.

I think this has been done before...

1 person buys 1 copy - $20 (maybe!)

1 person tells their four friends and they buy copies - $100

1 person streams to their 5,000+ followers - $20-100,000+ (since we don't know how many are new or how many will buy)

Just doing the math, I think the streamers are worth more.

I think this has been done before...

1 person buys 1 copy - $20 (maybe!)

1 person tells their four friends and they buy copies - $100

1 person streams to their 5,000+ followers - $20-100,000+ (since we don't know how many are new or how many will buy)

Just doing the math, I think the streamers are worth more.

Yes but if 1 person tells their four friends and they buy copies where does that chain end?

1 tells 4, those 4 tell 4 more, those 4 tell 4 more.....We are equal to streamers. In my example that's 37 in just 3 word of mouth passes.

fiasco? It was wildly successful when we did it before A16. This is our second outing and is being done in a much better and inclusive way. I guess we will see if it turns out to be a fiasco but so far I'm hopeful for at least as much success as the first time. Did you not realize that we've already done this before and that the reason we are doing it again is because it was the opposite of a fiasco?

Please enlighten me. How was it wildly successful? It seems to me that there are two ways that can go. Either it was great for marketing and you sold a bunch of copies or bug reports. Which if you ask me doesn't make much sense as a few streamers is a lot less testers than even 25% of the fan base.

Not so much actually and I guess if we should be we would be.

The forums wouldn't have a whole thread dedicated to it if there wasn't much and 11 pages and growing is not a good sign. Don't worry not everyone has seen the news yet since it took so long in the first place. We still have a whole 3 days ;)

Not sure that you do. Anyone can say they understand but actions speak louder and your stance seems to indicate that you believe it entails more than what you are getting.

All early access games and pre orders of anything really is an interest free loan from investors with no rights. So given I can't pull my money out at this juncture I and many others are left with the forums since there are not monthly meetings and not much comes from the developers.

Yeah, but you probably didn't expect to see A17 experimental release this year either and you were wrong on that count. People like you who expect doom and gloom and actually even hope for TFP to fail stop by every single alpha release to let us all know that the game will be abandoned, it will never leave alpha, the devs have cut and run, blah blah blah. Well A17 is here and the game will leave alpha when it is time and TFP will continue to be wildly successful doing thing the way they are doing.

Wrong I actually hope you succeed really. I'm mainly voicing the fact that this type of behavior is why people don't trust the industry let alone little old TFP. Problem is instead of voicing these things and taking them to heart they are largely ignored.

Bottom line is this release and apparently A16 as well are a mistake. It's better for bug testing to have many rather than few. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising to this day. It works so well for the mod community why not take a hint? So really I can't see why anyone would release to a very tiny crowd.

Tell you what I have no followers on my twitch stream can I get an invite? Probably not. There are probably minimum amount of subs and whatnot. Which to me just screams it's about the sales more than bugs at that point. Can't fault you for that but I would say if cash flow is such a problem maybe release the game and make a new one? There are obviously talented minds at TFP. Though not in this.

To be fair right now a lot of this for me personally has built up over the last few years as the industry has gone to ♥♥♥♥. So this may be a bit more toward all of it not just you guys but the release is really eurking me. Seriously just answer why you are doing it this way.

WHY?

Yes but if 1 person tells their four friends and they buy copies where does that chain end?

1 tells 4, those 4 tell 4 more, those 4 tell 4 more.....We are equal to streamers. In my example that's 37 in just 3 word of mouth passes.

if you wanna follow that rabbit hole... if 1 person streams and 5k followers all purchase the game, then they tell their friends and so on...

true enough. Both have merit though!

Absolutely, but the big picture here is that the streamers are currently playing in experimental. its only so fun, due it its nature. Its not stable, there's no big builds, just relearning the game. Yeah, i excited to play but i can wait. Been waiting long enough, whats a few days?

If the streamers bring in more revenue to keep TFP working on more 7DTD or even bringing in more people for quicker updates, we only benefit. No ones losing on anything

It's not worth reading any of this, but it sure is fun to laugh at.

BTW, might want to go check out twitch or youtube ATM. Then you can either come back hear and whine about waiting a couple days or stay over there and watch.

Well I was always told growing up that I was a master at whining....:D

So yo just bent over and took it?! didn't have the rocks to call the out on their BS? We have the right to make things right! We PAID!! for the game but somehow we are not equal?! They're ratting out their real fans for profit, sounds like a company that needs the happy sh*t slapped out of them imo!

So yo just bent over and took it?! didn't have the rocks to call the out on their BS? We have the right to make things right! We PAID!! for the game but somehow we are not equal?! They're ratting out their real fans for profit, sounds like a company that needs the happy sh*t slapped out of them imo!

Ahh, the simple mind

Bottom line is this release and apparently A16 as well are a mistake. It's better for bug testing to have many rather than few. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising to this day. It works so well for the mod community why not take a hint? So really I can't see why anyone would release to a very tiny crowd.

Well, there are just 3 days for streamers (the few) and then many weeks of bug testing (with many). I don't think you are so naiive to think those 3 days will make a huge difference for bug testing, or do you ?

But we probably agree that they are an easy cheap way of marketing, just not one you agree with because you seem to put (in my view) unproportional importance on those 3 days. Wouldn't it benefit you much more if TFP put in a few more features into the game with the money instead of giving you access to the game now instead of 3 days later and using the money for more expensive promotion?

PS: How about this hint: streamers are the most effective form of word of mouth today.

Movies nowadays are shown to a test audience before release to find out if the movie works. I don't think the test audience has to pay for their tickets. Same goes for the screenings to critics and journalists. So any movie you watch was already watched by a few people who never payed for it. In your world you are second class for every movie you ever watch, and have to pay! Tough to be you. :cocksure:

PS: How about this hint: streamers are the most effective form of word of mouth today.

I agree on this, however, making us have to wait and watch the "preferred few" play the experimental first, seems, i dun know, wrong. I get that they wanted to increase revenue (as you all say), however, I don't get how having me, a person that's already paid for the game, gets them any money, in fact, I just feel a bit alienated.

if this was for "testing" purposes, I still don't get why having just select few over the many is better. Heck, the forum moderators put up a "see something, say something" thread in their announcements sections for bugs, so in my mind, more people messin with the game would mean more bug testing...vs bug seeing /shrug

also, from what I've seen so far in the various videos I've watched (for science) I haven't seen any game breaking bugs that would cause me to not want to ever play again or badmouth the pimps pimpiness.

#secondclasscitizen

- - - Updated - - -

So any movie you watch was already watched by a few people who never payed for it. In your world you are second class for every movie you ever watch, and have to pay! Tough to be you. :cocksure:

true...but we're not talkin about people that didn't invest already in the movie. The folks complaining are already people that paid for their tickets.

/shrug

Archived