So this is where roland said to go to gripe about a17 and the early release...

Scyris

I can't believe you figured it out. I'll slip out of my whiteknight mask and admit that TFP only wanted to ♥♥♥♥ on us who already have bought the game and supported them for years. They actually said, "We're so tired of all these complainers who give us grief about the decisions we make and release dates, so we're going to take the piss out of them and give it to streamers first."

Gold star for figuring out their diabolical plan. Be sure and leave a particularly rabid negative review on Steam.

4a3c3e9ddb89babe1ae32689dd958171.jpg.8b208e45684ecc342912ae492c7e1c05.jpg

As a modder with A17-E access, I have to disagree.

I've honestly spent about 3-4 hours poking the XML and breaking it. ;) And about 40 minutes actually playing.

Sure, a modder would like the game as well as any other player sooner than later, but it isn't anything special for you, especially not the part about others having no access, just you. Exclusive access is not the holy grail for modders (I'd assume).

What if you had the choice between 3 days exclusive access and an extra mod feature in the game?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25356[/ATTACH]

Nah. I was just trying a new tactic since the old one wasn't working.

I did realize something over night, though: This problem of people complaining about not getting something when they think they should will grow.

Imagine when TFP starts work on their next game. They decide not to do EA because they have plenty of money, so the development cycle is more traditional. When it nears time to release, they do a streamer weekend to build hype and showcase the game. People are going to come out of the woodwork complaining about how they deserve access at the same time as the streamers because their money helped TFP be a studio at all. TFP clearly are snubbing all of their support over the years, so they won't even buy the game. Then TFP won't sell enough copies to remain solvent, and their company will go under.

I've come around. They should just give the game to everybody at the same time for their own good. Negotiate with terrorists, TFP, negotiate!

so....what exactly does having that 3k viewership on an hourly basis do?

help me understand, tell it to me like I'm 5.

is it that the fun pimps wanted to see if people would watch the streamers?

is it that the fun pimps wanted to pad the streamers # of viewers to entice new viewers to go "oh look, what are these 2000 viewers watching, i'll go check that out," which in turn might potentially cause them to buy the game?

someone said earlier in a post, i think roughly in the 13-14 page range that "exclusivity" is what makes the game wanted/desired

681, 557, 328, 210, 62, 59, 46, 45, 32, 29, 2. This is the viewingfigures on twitch right now. I honestly think there is no way tfp and Roland is happy with these numbers. But they will never say it. I think Roland has some sand in his vajaja since he is the one in charge of the stream event. There might be more people with very low numbers, but i am not checking streams that don`t have alpha 17 in the name to be sure.

We can`t underestimate the value of streams and youtubers for marketing, if they have alot of viewers (most don`t). And to cater a bit to them since it has been rough making content when it has been 1,5 years since alpha 16, is not a bad idea. But many of the streamers clearly haven`t played the game in a long time and don`t know what is new in the alpha. One of the top three streamers yesterday said he was glad the gyrocopter was not put in the game in alpha 17 because it could cause havoc.

We have two main reasons for the stream event: marketing and catching critical bugs.

Marketing is not going so well, and a point made by another one in this thread is that the more people watching a screen the more likely it is to catch bugs. And that is true since many of the streamers barely pays attention to the game it self. They are enjoying the bits and subs way more than the game it self.

I was not critical of the stream event before it started, because if i remember right, the alpha 16 stream team caught critical bugs that was fixed before they realeased it to the public. But many streamers are not testing the game properly, they do what they think brings in most bits and subs. Madmole himself did not seem happy with Pokkets stream when they spawned in the 4x4 and messed around. He was constantly trying to make Pokket experience the game, but her friends derailed her.

But all this hopefully dosen`t matter since they might not do stream events for a while. If they manage to get down to 3 months cycles between each content pack going forward, there probably is not a point in doing a stream event, because there is not enough content. Personally i like the longer cycles because it feels like a new game each alpha. I am not going to start a new game just because they have made water better in the next alpha.

The exclusivity causes more and unique streamers to play it this weekend. This causes those streamers viewers to watch a game they'd ordinarily not be exposed to. There are YouTube videos created that otherwise wouldn't have existed which also brings the eyeballs of new people to those videos now or due to the nature of YouTube a week or a month from now.

You can call it a money grab from TFP or also recognize that even 500 new players has the potential to grow the community and add more variety to the legion of servers, content creators, and modders.

As a modder with A17-E access, I have to disagree.

I've honestly spent about 3-4 hours poking the XML and breaking it. ;) And about 40 minutes actually playing.

3-4 days early access is absolutely something I am drooling over because I get to see all the new toys I can play with, and then break it all. I literally have 2 copies of A17-E on my system right now, one for testing out crazy ideas and one to just play it as the dev's intended.

My wife isn't happy though... :D

Watching you going through xml files, commenting on them, comming up with ideas to what you can do with it for mods, would be much more enjoyable than many of the other streams. Did you record it? link?

We don’t have the specific data to figure out if the stream event is doing what it was supposed for.

If there will be another streamer event in the future it must be a decision which is based on the last one.

The next steam sale is opening in a few days and it would be a big surprise if “7days to die” is not on sale.

In my opinion the stream event would be a bigger success if

- the streamers would get the information 2 or 3 weeks before the release

- there are less “big” or “hyped” titles around that date

I am going to buy another key when the next sale starts just to support the work they put in the new alpha.

It’s not much but all I can do and I find somebody i can gifted to...

so....what exactly does having that 3k viewership on an hourly basis do?

help me understand, tell it to me like I'm 5.

is it that the fun pimps wanted to see if people would watch the streamers?

is it that the fun pimps wanted to pad the streamers # of viewers to entice new viewers to go "oh look, what are these 2000 viewers watching, i'll go check that out," which in turn might potentially cause them to buy the game?

someone said earlier in a post, i think roughly in the 13-14 page range that "exclusivity" is what makes the game wanted/desired

As .Markus said earlier, the exclusivity is the honey that makes streamers stream the event. It doesn't make the game more desirable for their viewers. BUT some of their viewers will now see 7d2d for the first time and they might just like what they see.

In short: exclusivity is to get the streamers, the streams are to get new players.

I just hope that the streamers and youtube guys that did pathetic jobs of streaming or miniscule amounts over the weekend, or like some that I could mention, did absolutely jack all, lose any future right to get and kind of early access...

If they decide to do this early access streaming in the future, which imho I don't think they should, then the least they could do is give it to people who have a vested interest in, and play the game rather than a financial one, that are actually gonna make good use of this priviledge.

There are a lot of people out there playing A17 already that arent streaming it purely on the basis that they got a code from a streamer friend with over 5k viewers, that to me is the real injustice here.

We have two main reasons for the stream event: marketing and catching critical bugs.

It was stated by TFP developers, testers AND Roland himself that observing bugs on the streams is just a small side effect that helps as a further safety net. The only MAIN reason is marketing. Stop, end of story.

See https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=869867&viewfull=1#post869867 and https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=869897&viewfull=1#post869897 if you don't believe me, this is one of the internal testers of TFP.

Common sense should also tell you that thousands of players have a much better chance to find bugs than one hundred streamers.

I just hope that the streamers and youtube guys that did pathetic jobs of streaming or miniscule amounts over the weekend, or like some that I could mention, did absolutely jack all, lose any future right to get and kind of early access...

If they decide to do this early access streaming in the future, which imho I don't think they should, then the least they could do is give it to people who have a vested interest in, and play the game rather than a financial one, that are actually gonna make good use of this priviledge.

There are a lot of people out there playing A17 already that arent streaming it purely on the basis that they got a code from a streamer friend with over 5k viewers, that to me is the real injustice here.

Are you under the impression that busy streamers are giving away their own access to other people? Or are you saying that the free keys that they were given to share are somehow granting access to 17?

It was stated by TFP developers, testers AND Roland himself that observing bugs on the streams is just a small side effect that helps as a further safety net. The only MAIN reason is marketing. Stop, end of story.

See https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=869867&viewfull=1#post869867 and https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?74084-Developer-Discussions-Alpha-17&p=869897&viewfull=1#post869897 if you don't believe me, this is one of the internal testers of TFP.

Common sense should also tell you that thousands of players have a much better chance to find bugs than one hundred streamers.

I have already said what you are saying in a later post. The point about catching bugs is why i haven`t been so negative to the stream event, because i remember the alpha 16 stream team caught critical bugs i didn`t want when i got the experimental

Are you under the impression that busy streamers are giving away their own access to other people? Or are you saying that the free keys that they were given to share are somehow granting access to 17?

The streamers given early access are allowed to let their friends play as long as these people dont stream independently.

As .Markus said earlier, the exclusivity is the honey that makes streamers stream the event. It doesn't make the game more desirable for their viewers. BUT some of their viewers will now see 7d2d for the first time and they might just like what they see.

In short: exclusivity is to get the streamers, the streams are to get new players.

I'd argue that active players on Steam and login notifications on the Steam network, combined with the twitch stream event on a Friday night can get more numbers on Twitch alone. Definitely not worth for the current Twitch numbers that "exclusivity" brings.

A new player that sees 7DTD on Twitch is also likely to check the game on Steam and see the "online count" (which would be much more impressive if A17 had come out). A new player who sees his friend log in 7DTD on Steam is also likely to visit Twitch to check the game out. And so on. The timing (Monday) also means that many people with jobs will get to play the game in a week's time, instead of three days time.

Even ignoring anyone who takes it personally that A17 is only streamer-exclusive for the weekend (they should not, but it's a fact and not surprising that many do - if anyone was surprised they might need to "wise-up" a bit), this whole thing seems kind of counter-productive to me. No wonder you don't see this exclusivity tactic in other games - at least I haven't, but I am no Twitch expert.

I'd argue that active players on Steam and login notifications on the Steam network, combined with the twitch stream event on a Friday night can get more numbers on Twitch alone. Definitely not worth for the current Twitch numbers that "exclusivity" brings.

A new player that sees 7DTD on Twitch is also likely to check the game on Steam and see the "online count" (which would be much more impressive if A17 had come out). A new player who sees his friend log in 7DTD on Steam is also likely to visit Twitch to check the game out. And so on. The timing (Monday) also means that many people with jobs will get to play the game in a week's time, instead of three days time.

Even ignoring anyone who takes it personally that A17 is only streamer-exclusive for the weekend (they should not, but it's a fact and not surprising that many do - if anyone was surprised they might need to "wise-up" a bit), this whole thing seems kind of counter-productive to me. No wonder you don't see this exclusivity tactic in other games - at least I haven't, but I am no Twitch expert.

When the news about the new map sizes broke there was an argument from one of the devs or Roland (don`t remember). He said the reason we will get smaller maps was because the time it took to generate the larger maps. The argument was that kids these day don`t have the attention span for waiting a long time (in this case 2 hours) to play the game. But suddendly with the stream event these kids by magic have the attenion span to wait for 2-3 days

thanks for breaking it down for me, ya'll. I still don't agree with it, buit hey, it's all gravy. 1 More day

With shorter cycles between alphas we might not have a stream event before the game goes gold.

The bigger news is Madmole talking about a sequel in Pokkets stream. Let the hype train begin!!!

I

Well, it worked once in A16. You might not have heard of another game making exactly this stunt, but exclusivity as a marketing tool to end users is done by all AAA games in one form or another and why should streamers be exempt from that lure?

Now maybe the timing isn't good, and also there is the effect of diminishing returns when you do the same marketing event again and again. I'm sure they will evaluate the event and try something else if this type of marketing doesn't work anymore.

Watching you going through xml files, commenting on them, comming up with ideas to what you can do with it for mods, would be much more enjoyable than many of the other streams. Did you record it? link?

No I did not. I got access through a streamer to take part in their stream. As such, I'm not allowed to record or stream it.

I probably will be once it's out for everyone though. :)

Sure, a modder would like the game as well as any other player sooner than later, but it isn't anything special for you, especially not the part about others having no access, just you. Exclusive access is not the holy grail for modders (I'd assume).

What if you had the choice between 3 days exclusive access and an extra mod feature in the game?

All modders getting access the same time as the streamers would actually help a LOT.

I've tested out quite a few theories and been bouncing ideas to another guy who also had access to see what works and what doesn't from a modding standpoint. It would help ALL of us learn the new systems and port our projects over that little bit quicker. :)

Also, realistically TFP isn't going to add an extra mod feature to the game in the 3 days of Experimental Early Access just because modders didn't get access. There's more streamers in the stream team than there are modders from what I've seen, soooo...

Ok, let me ask you this question mega, if you could, would you rather have a bunch of streamers who knew nothing about the game playing the game, or people who knew about the game playing the game? Currently if you look through the list of streamers who were picked for the stream early release, there was no requirement of any time played on 7 days to die, solely 5k followers. I could give a rats behind about the early release, I'm enjoying Fallout 76, and will probably be a while before I go back to this game. It's about the misinformation, misleading statements, and pure dismissive attitude they have about the existing player base.

You seem like you're arguing for the sake of being contrary. Your point makes no sense. Why would a streamer with 5k subs and who's never played 7dtd bother signing up? Many of the streamers are 7dtd streamers.

You seem like you're arguing for the sake of being contrary. Your point makes no sense. Why would a streamer with 5k subs and who's never played 7dtd bother signing up? Many of the streamers are 7dtd streamers.

There are streamers now with less then 10 people watching. Please justify why those streamers should get early access to experimental. I have asked this question many times in this thread, and no one has a answer

If they had paid a streamer with 10k+ audience regulary, the marketing aspect would be alot better. Streamers with less than 10 viewers has 0 marketing value

Archived