Early loot priority?

Peter34

I think I've got the hang of most of the early game, but the one thing that I stumble on is early loot priority. With only 45 slots, 36 backpack and 9 belt, I very often end up full well before I reach the place where I want to build my first serious home.

I already routinely discard Paper, Dog Food, Cat Food and Flashlights. Oh, and Clubs. Dirt also goes out, and if I dig in the SW corner and get Destroyed Stone, that goes out too. I can gather Dirt and Destroyed Stone later.

I like wearing the Mining Helmet, so any other Head slot items I find also get dumped.

What else can I afford to discard early on without a moment's thought?

I like gathering Feathers for the crossbow, and this gives me some Eggs too from the nests, but usually quite few. But even cooked Eggs don't provide much food satiation, and the problem early on is hydration, not food satiation, so should I start dumping the Eggs I find?

In a recent game, for the first time, I found some raw meat as loot. I think in a Cooler in one of the (pseudo-) militray tent camps. I dumped it right away, not wanting the smell to attract zombies.

I try to compact the iron I find, but the only kind of lead I find is Lead Batteries, so I might as well not compact them. I tend to find two kinds of brass but not a lot of either. One is easy to compact, while the other IIRC does not divide cleanly with either the old or new Forge Weight of Scrap Brass.

Should I drop lead and brass loot?

With the new repair system, it seems much more feasible to recycle excess any unwanted weapons and tools to scrap iron. Can tools be repaired too, or only true weapons? Gardening Hoe is neat mid game, I know that but early game might as well recycle.

I do have the notion of plopping down a temporary Loot Storage Chest, somewhere along the route, one that I can return to later, but the problem is a lack of safe landmarks. "On the road north of Grave Town" perhaps. I often use the "Apache" Church as such a temp loot storage point. It's a single building, relatively easy to de-zombify.

Having just one type of Rock in inventory helps a bit, but actually less than I had expected, as most biomes only contained 3 types of Rock anyway, so going around gathering Rock obsessively early game tended to only yield 3 stacks, same as now.

In the end, I think my early game would be better if I could become better at learning what loot to dump, adding another 8-12 items to my list.

Especially since I want to hold on to the new loot items, Moldy Bread and Penicilin, because I'll want to have them around later for finding out what they are good for.

So what additional loot items should I dump, in the first day's worth of game time of playing?

I hope when you say 'dump', what you mean is 'put into the nearest container so I can get it later' and not 'waste it by dropping it out into the world, never to be seen again.'

If the latter is true, start dumping into containers, then loot priority isn't as much an impact as you can go back and get your stashes when you have room/time. If the former is true, eggs are a long term benefit as they are used to make Blueberry Pie, one of the more beneficial food items in the game. Save those. Paper is really only good for making shotgun ammo, so while it's good to save it, you won't be needing it for a while. Same with books, you can leave those behind until you are ready to make shotgun ammo. Gasoline is handy, after you get a power tool, so you can skip over gas cans and Gas Barrels.

After that a lot of it is really dependant on your style of play and building. Generally though, it sounds like the most helpful advice I can give you is this: if you don't need it right away, leave it where you found it so you can go get it later.

Temp storage is definitely the best choice. Food items should be stacked as much as possible. Water is essential, but only keep a couple hard day's worth. While traveling CANNED FOOD ONLY. Fresh food gets you a dinner invitation for brain stew. Be choosy on weapons. Spiked club a must. With guns, I've done the matrix thing where neo and trinity were tossing empty weapons.

First step, survival. Food water, basic weapons. Don't get bogged down in scavenging for things not usable yet.

Second, you have enough food to take time to gather base material.

Third, build base and then start on longer term issues like brass and forging.

Prioritize needs and goals.

The problem with temporary storage is re-finding it, since the game doesn't have any kind of "bookmark this location" function.

Also, it seems to me as if I need to move to my desired home location pretty fast, and start building my home, so I have at least a miniature fortress by nightfall.

I had the same problem, what I decided to do was to loot until I was full inventory along the path to where I planned to build...I picked the center of the map on top of scenic lookout because its the center of the map and the shortest route to everywhere on the map in game time from any other location basically once there you can go to any place you want easily in a day and you have 4 biomes in a very short distance...and it has a nice veiw of spillway lake once you clear some trees :)

Oh I forgot to mention with the new loot respawn options the need to go everywhere on the map is gone too...I go out and loot an diersville which takes awhile then drop everything off then go to high school and police station by the time you get back diesville has respawned...mostly lol hope it helps anyway gotta pick your spot early in my opinion

Set up a Temporary "base" or Storage room with chest somewhere you'll remember. Dump the loot there, and bury it.

Hehe bury your loot that's awesome, now if we can just mark the spot with an X and create a treasure map :)

No it won't, but if you can remember the general area that you made it, it will be easier to find. I'd suggest using landmarks you can find on the map, like south of the camp in the plains biome, or north east of the truck stop, etc.

• 5 years later...

Archived