Telltale Update

The Fun Pimp

the console version is and has been dead for a very long time, do you really think TFP will do or will be able to do anything for consoles ? why do you think it got out sourced originally?

Possible ways for a new console version:

1) TFP gets the rights for the source code and hire Iron Galaxy or some other developer with console knowledge to finish at least the supposedly nearly finished version

2) TFP gets the rights for the source code, hires 1-2 programmers with console knowledge and tries to do the same in-house, probably much slower.

It's not as if TFP would have to start from zero, much of the expertise of IG is in the source they nearly finished.

lets face it keeping this thread open is pointless. i wonder if theres a way to get the forum anylitics from google or maybe even the website provider. it would be interesting reading

the thread is probably open because every few days a new console player looks into this forum for answers and after reading only the first post in this thread asks what the status is or complains about no news. If this thread is closed he would just make a new thread and maybe even complain that the developer tries to shut down discussion. So what would be gained by closing?

Possible ways for a new console version:

1) TFP gets the rights for the source code and hire Iron Galaxy or some other developer with console knowledge to finish at least the supposedly nearly finished version

2) TFP gets the rights for the source code, hires 1-2 programmers with console knowledge and tries to do the same in-house, probably much slower.

It's not as if TFP would have to start from zero, much of the expertise of IG is in the source they nearly finished.

the thread is probably open because every few days a new console player looks into this forum for answers and after reading only the first post in this thread asks what the status is or complains about no news. If this thread is closed he would just make a new thread and maybe even complain that the developer tries to shut down discussion. So what would be gained by closing?

and so the merry-go-round starts again

and so the merry-go-round starts again

You asked questions. If you just wanted to do a rhetoric soap-box speech, more indication of that might be advisable.

If you don't like merry-go-rounds, why do you continue to post in this thread? <-- this is a real question, not rhetorical.

Ok, if we keep it open let's have a serious discussion then. This is what TFP said at the start of this thread.

"Upon hearing the news, The Fun Pimps immediately terminated its license agreement with Telltale, which only allowed publishing rights on the console ports of the 7 Days to Die game. The termination also severed Telltale’s rights to any future updates or sequels of the 7 Days to Die franchise."

So if they ended TTG rights to publish the console port and updates then what is left to purchase. I would assume potential buyers would be purchasing the console version in it's current state. If purchased that company would need to acquire rights from TFP to make updates for the console version. Right?? So logic would be only TFP would really want to purchase the asset of the game for console in it's current state. As any one else buying it couldn't do anything with it based upon what TFP said in the quoted statement above. If TFP did buy said asset then the next step would be to see what IG wants for compensation for the work they did on the latest update. Which means buying the console game in it's current state would cost money, and the update would cost more money. I don't know where said company would expect to then turn a profit on a game that has been out for a couple of years now. Seems to me that anyone who wants to pickup where TTG left off is going to be fighting an uphill battle.

I worked for a company that filed for bankruptcy and all of the info for our company was public record during the entire bankruptcy process. So it would be nice to hear from TFP so that we can have an adult conversation about what could and what actually might happen in the future.

Let's all be adults and try to have a civil conversation and see if we can have our discussion lead to TFP posting anything so we have a better idea of what is going on.

I know it might not be an idea some like, but I would be willing to support TFP if they did pickup the console version and finished the update. Even if it was considered DLC and I had to pay for it.

Curious to everyone elses thoughts.

Ok, if we keep it open let's have a serious discussion then. This is what TFP said at the start of this thread.

"Upon hearing the news, The Fun Pimps immediately terminated its license agreement with Telltale, which only allowed publishing rights on the console ports of the 7 Days to Die game. The termination also severed Telltale’s rights to any future updates or sequels of the 7 Days to Die franchise."

So if they ended TTG rights to publish the console port and updates then what is left to purchase. I would assume potential buyers would be purchasing the console version in it's current state. If purchased that company would need to acquire rights from TFP to make updates for the console version. Right?? So logic would be only TFP would really want to purchase the asset of the game for console in it's current state. As any one else buying it couldn't do anything with it based upon what TFP said in the quoted statement above. If TFP did buy said asset then the next step would be to see what IG wants for compensation for the work they did on the latest update. Which means buying the console game in it's current state would cost money, and the update would cost more money. I don't know where said company would expect to then turn a profit on a game that has been out for a couple of years now. Seems to me that anyone who wants to pickup where TTG left off is going to be fighting an uphill battle.

I worked for a company that filed for bankruptcy and all of the info for our company was public record during the entire bankruptcy process. So it would be nice to hear from TFP so that we can have an adult conversation about what could and what actually might happen in the future.

Let's all be adults and try to have a civil conversation and see if we can have our discussion lead to TFP posting anything so we have a better idea of what is going on.

I know it might not be an idea some like, but I would be willing to support TFP if they did pickup the console version and finished the update. Even if it was considered DLC and I had to pay for it.

Curious to everyone elses thoughts.

You put the finger on a detail that escaped me completely. If we assume that a potential buyer other than TFP would need publishing rights to KEEP the old version in the stores it drops the value of the auctioned IP considerably. Because a potential buyer can't hope to profit from the long tail immediately. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_tail ). Especially since the PC version will still generate some news in media that long tale could still generate a sizable revenue over a long time that might generate interest, but that easy way for profit is closed off.

Therefore:

1) Without the long tail income the auction will be of interest to anyone else but TFP only for two reasons: To make a quick buck by blackmailing TFP to buy the rights from them for a slightly higher price or coerce TFP to enter a partnership with them, in this case hoping for the profit from the long tail. Both seem to me far-fetched but possible.

2) Because most likely there will be no other bidder though, TFP could get it reasonably cheap. Depending on the auction rules they might still have to guess what the minimum bid is (no clue if there might be one or not)

So winning the auction is probably not the big money sink, further development could be. Depending on the quality of the source now developing the nearly-finished version to release could be commercially viable with the long tail covering the costs. A further update to PC version 0.17, 0.18 or 1.0 on the other hand might be a substantial money sink without matching income.

TFP has a few reasons they might be willing to foot the bill:

1) Their name is on the line, console customers won't differentiate between telltale and TFP, especially after telltale is just distant history.

2) The long tail

3) They might feel an obligation to all customers of their "baby"

4) Generating good will makes even bussiness sense as it might drive PC sales if word-of-mouth is good. Word-of-mouth crosses platform boundaries because console players can have PC player friends

5) An addon/expansion on the console could actually generate profit in the future (but only after 1.0 on PC, I don't think console players in general would pay for alpha16 or any other alpha as a DLC)

I think your hope for more info from TFP about their plans is a lost hope: A lawyer in movies tells his client the second he comes into the room: "Don't talk. Let me do the talking". That sentence may be a cliche, but I'm sure their lawyer gave them a similar advice. Just saying, you are fighting an uphill battle.

You asked questions. If you just wanted to do a rhetoric soap-box speech, more indication of that might be advisable.

If you don't like merry-go-rounds, why do you continue to post in this thread? <-- this is a real question, not rhetorical.

do what ??

i did no such soap box speech i meerly stated that this thread is dead along with the console version of this game. the fact you lot are still hanging in there awaiting for some miracle to happen and tfp to magically release something is a joke.

SLY please shut this pointless thread down as its gone way offtopic from the original post

do what ??

i did no such soap box speech i meerly stated that this thread is dead along with the console version of this game. the fact you lot are still hanging in there awaiting for some miracle to happen and tfp to magically release something is a joke.

SLY please shut this pointless thread down as its gone way offtopic from the original post

Why shut this thread down? i'm sure there are plenty of people who have an interest in this game and come here to see if there's any news. Some people seem to take pleasure in announcing that 'the console version is dead',.... well it might not get any more updates but i'm keeping my fingers crossed and will continue to check here for any news or rumours, in the meantime i shall carry on surviving.......

Nothing wrong with hope. I enjoy 7dtd like it is. It's still one of the best creative games out there. It needs many long overdue patches/fixes.

But I still turn to 7dtd when I want to build a cool house or a cool bunker or even a military base. To me survival was fun but only for a short while. I learned how to use every item in the crafting menu and now I can build pretty much anything

Nothing wrong with hope. I enjoy 7dtd like it is. It's still one of the best creative games out there. It needs many long overdue patches/fixes.

But I still turn to 7dtd when I want to build a cool house or a cool bunker or even a military base. To me survival was fun but only for a short while. I learned how to use every item in the crafting menu and now I can build pretty much anything

Its still fun but usually around day 40 the game gets kinda pointless. The zombies are limited, the hordes are limited and really all you need to make is a kill pit and you have no worries at all. The game really needs the new zombie types and AI to add a challenge again.

Its still fun but usually around day 40 the game gets kinda pointless. The zombies are limited, the hordes are limited and really all you need to make is a kill pit and you have no worries at all. The game really needs the new zombie types and AI to add a challenge again.

I dont disagree with you. But like I said I play for creative building now. Zombies are off and supply drops are off. Literally I play to build cool things without them

came to check if any news, still nothing. Points I want to address as i feel what i have to say provides a different perspective (and i generally am good at articulating some things)

1. The game is dead - Not quite accurate. The game should be dead. The game is kept alive only by the players still following it. Realistically, the game won't have an update anytime soon, and the problem with that is, that update isn't guaranteed. Long term play on console is virtually pointless, with MD5 being a thing still and the challenge virtually stops before that becomes a major headache. You can't enjoy challenge, and you can't enjoy build mechanics much either. Those who still stick to this game, how and why? Tbh, it's a great thing you can still find enjoyment, but ultimately the playerbase still keeping to this game at this time isn't big enough on console to warrant further patching from a business standpoint, and in turn is also the reason why the players should move on - hence the game should be dead.

2. This thread should be closed - Very true. Someone stated newcomers coming to ask about things... how many console newcomers do you really think will be coming? Nobody at this time should be recommending this game to someone. This game has been on console for a very long time and those interested in it already have it. "new" people coming here are likely just people who already had the game like myself, checking on updates or still unaware of the events wondering where the next patch is. Until new information is shared, which sounds confirmed to not be for a couple of months, their really isn't anything to discuss or any questions that haven't been answered, so this thread is ultimately pointless now.

3. The defending of any of these companies - Shouldn't be happening at all. TFP owns the IP, it's their job to oversee the usage in any regard. Look at nintendo, they are one of the worst for attacking anyone using their franchises for anything they didn't specifically allow. The reason they do this is because it reflects on them. When Nintendo does back something they put their logo on it assuring Nintendo quality, which to say the least is of high standards. If TFP cared about this franchise, they would have overseen everything, or held off until the PC product was done so they can devote resources towards the console ports and ensure it's done right. IG and TTG literally never gave any solid information about what was ever going on behind the scenes. The playerbase was in the dark until a week before patch.. every.. time. Even for the unreleased content they were working on before all of this, what we know is some bugs (no idea which ones) and an engine upgrade with some content. We have nothing specific to have an actual reason to be excited for the update, and over the several months they could have guaranteed some things that will make it, but still wouldn't even speak up on those. The business relations between all three was so broken that even TFP didn't know that console was going to fail until the players themselves knew. Why would i ever trust TFP products on console in the future? IG? As sad as it is, theirs no point asking why i should trust TTG, they dead as a business now.

I just wanted to share my perspective. I've been playing ark and i just happened to think of 7 days while awaiting my friend to get online, figured i would see if anything new had been mentioned. By coming back here and seeing their hasn't been any communication, even a "nothing has changed" statement from TFP, tells me they don't care if the playerbase dies. Any developer who doesn't want their playerbase to leave provides some interactions to help keep that playerbase around. Consider the possibility that they know the odds of being able to fix this mess is extremely low, and the correct decision business-wise for them is to let this console port die. They don't want to say "move on people" because that is just bad, but they can't say stick around either, i'll even maybe say it's for our sake that they aren't communicating at all to the console players. Just a potential situation on their end, but i'm no quantum physicist and have no idea if that's our reality.

came to check if any news, still nothing. Points I want to address as i feel what i have to say provides a different perspective (and i generally am good at articulating some things)

1. The game is dead - Not quite accurate. The game should be dead. The game is kept alive only by the players still following it. Realistically, the game won't have an update anytime soon, and the problem with that is, that update isn't guaranteed. Long term play on console is virtually pointless, with MD5 being a thing still and the challenge virtually stops before that becomes a major headache. You can't enjoy challenge, and you can't enjoy build mechanics much either. Those who still stick to this game, how and why? Tbh, it's a great thing you can still find enjoyment, but ultimately the playerbase still keeping to this game at this time isn't big enough on console to warrant further patching from a business standpoint, and in turn is also the reason why the players should move on - hence the game should be dead.

2. This thread should be closed - Very true. Someone stated newcomers coming to ask about things... how many console newcomers do you really think will be coming? Nobody at this time should be recommending this game to someone. This game has been on console for a very long time and those interested in it already have it. "new" people coming here are likely just people who already had the game like myself, checking on updates or still unaware of the events wondering where the next patch is. Until new information is shared, which sounds confirmed to not be for a couple of months, their really isn't anything to discuss or any questions that haven't been answered, so this thread is ultimately pointless now.

3. The defending of any of these companies - Shouldn't be happening at all. TFP owns the IP, it's their job to oversee the usage in any regard. Look at nintendo, they are one of the worst for attacking anyone using their franchises for anything they didn't specifically allow. The reason they do this is because it reflects on them. When Nintendo does back something they put their logo on it assuring Nintendo quality, which to say the least is of high standards. If TFP cared about this franchise, they would have overseen everything, or held off until the PC product was done so they can devote resources towards the console ports and ensure it's done right. IG and TTG literally never gave any solid information about what was ever going on behind the scenes. The playerbase was in the dark until a week before patch.. every.. time. Even for the unreleased content they were working on before all of this, what we know is some bugs (no idea which ones) and an engine upgrade with some content. We have nothing specific to have an actual reason to be excited for the update, and over the several months they could have guaranteed some things that will make it, but still wouldn't even speak up on those. The business relations between all three was so broken that even TFP didn't know that console was going to fail until the players themselves knew. Why would i ever trust TFP products on console in the future? IG? As sad as it is, theirs no point asking why i should trust TTG, they dead as a business now.

I just wanted to share my perspective. I've been playing ark and i just happened to think of 7 days while awaiting my friend to get online, figured i would see if anything new had been mentioned. By coming back here and seeing their hasn't been any communication, even a "nothing has changed" statement from TFP, tells me they don't care if the playerbase dies. Any developer who doesn't want their playerbase to leave provides some interactions to help keep that playerbase around. Consider the possibility that they know the odds of being able to fix this mess is extremely low, and the correct decision business-wise for them is to let this console port die. They don't want to say "move on people" because that is just bad, but they can't say stick around either, i'll even maybe say it's for our sake that they aren't communicating at all to the console players. Just a potential situation on their end, but i'm no quantum physicist and have no idea if that's our reality.

1. As long as 7days is unique enough the game has a chance in the market IMHO, even after a year or two. Nobody has a reliable count of players waiting for the next version on console. A release of the version that Iron Galaxy nearly finished in maybe a year from now will be a good indicator though.

Do players need to play a game continuously to stick with it? Do players tend to try out a game even after a few years if news of a new version gets around? These are questions TFP has to answer to know how much support they want to give the console version after that.

2. Where would be the place to share your points 1 and 3, if not this thread? I don't know who said "newcomers", maybe he just meant new **forum users** who have not heard any news lately and might want to ask about that. I at least meant just that in previous posts.

3. I agree that TFP is partly responsible for the damage. Not because they could have foreseen the bancrupty but because they (or their lawyer) failed to make sure that it was advertised correctly on console as an alpha game. Maybe they didn't care or thought it a good plan too, maybe they were too inexperienced to close all loop holes. Maybe telltale convincingly told them they would create a fully finished version with just the features of one of the alphas and maybe even telltale thought this would be no problem. It is quite common in the games industry that plans fail, sometimes horribly.

That said, was the console version really a fail? Usually games there cost 60$ upwards at release, this was sold at much less and offered much less. For people who want bug-free polished games it probably still was, anyone else probably had hours of fun and it only hurts now to see a much advanced PC-version in the distance that could have been on console too and might never get there.

Any grievance you have against TTG/IG's information policies should stay with TTG/IG though. If a company licences something to another company it can't and doesn't want to micro-manage that afterwards, especially if we are talking about a small developer.

It still is a small developer and posting "no news" is a senseless activity. But yes, you have a point: The best course for a customer relationship department would be to treat the customers like small kids. "Are we there yet?". "Are we there yet?". "Can we play a game?". Sounds familiar? :cocksure: . And because your theory is as good as any, maybe it should be posted somewhere, either for other players to not get their hopes up too much or pressure TFP to step up their babysitting efforts :smile-new:

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now checking back every now and then for updates. I used to put a lot of time into this game on console and had a lot of fun doing so, but it's rather disheartening so see the lack of transparency from the developer on the future of the console version.

It would be nice to at least hear something. Anything. Even if the news is simply the situation is still being worked on. Anything to at least give a glimmer of hope the console version hasn't been given up on. This just leaving people who've bought and supported this game in the dark for so long now is a bad way of doing business and isn't showing much care towards the fan base.

If this thread is showing anything at all, it's that people are growing increasingly frustrated towards the lack of any news whatsoever. Literally anything coming straight from the source means more than just staying silent. Console fans will loose interest and give up on this game eventually. I know I'm getting real close. Don't let this become a too little too late situation should new content actually make it out in the future.

There isn't anything new to tell. It's a waiting game.

The Auction is happening sometime after 9 April 2019, which is when the deadline to register claims is. Until after information on that is provided from Sherwood Partners publicly, or to TFP, there is zero new information to be had.

has anyone else noticed some new things today on 7 days to die?

Just old bugs creeping in and the game lagging bad af even in local game by myself. My new computer gets here tomorrow though so not worried as I once was about this. Been creeping n reading for months. Been hoping. Ill miss playing this on console.

hopefully you won't have to miss it - after all, when april 9th has passed, hopefully TFP and IG will have managed to get the console rights from TellFail and will be able to go on with the console version of A17.

Just to make it clear, April 9 is only the date of the submission deadline. Sherwood Partners will probably waste weeks with checking the bids (7d2d isn't the only asset auctioned off).

Archived